Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 08:18   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Ive been reading a lot about this transition but I've not been able to get the answer to one question though. Will I be able to sell my BS-IV vehicle after April
2020 in the secondary market ? Will the buyer be able to re-register it in his/her name ?

You can very much sell and transfer the ownership.
Old 29th August 2019, 11:28   #332
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Came across this article today. It claims that BS-VI vehicles will have lower FE than BS-IV cars.

In a nutshell, it says, while the real world FE of BS-VI Petrol cars may remain same although manufacturers will claim lower mileage than BS-IV due to change in testing method etc. Diesel BS-VI cars might need to consume a bit more fuel to burn the soot from the Diesel Particulate Filter.

Any experts who can comment? Also how much will the running and maintenance costs go up, would the particulate filters, catalytic converters, additional sensors or other systems need more frequent maintenance, calibrations or replacements?

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...otors/1689629/

Edit: Adding some relevant documents that compare the fuel and emission specifications. Fuel specification documents show that the primary difference between BS-IV and BS-VI fuel is the sulphur content, reduced to 1/5th.

Northeast states have some relaxation on aromatic content till 2023 on Petrol, so I am not sure if taking BS-VI petrol vehicles purchased in Western India will have higher maintenance when used in NE states with the fuel with less stringent criteria and if it will still meet the emission standards.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf India Bharat Stage VI emission standards.pdf (176.0 KB, 2192 views)
File Type: pdf HSD-BS-IVand-BS-VI.pdf (712.8 KB, 1062 views)
File Type: pdf MS-BS-IVand-BS-VI.pdf (860.4 KB, 1059 views)

Last edited by Pulse500 : 29th August 2019 at 11:50. Reason: Adding more documents
Old 30th August 2019, 13:14   #333
Senior - BHPian

What will happen to the classic and vintage cars that many of the enthusiasts here own, love cherish and maintain ?

Will they be allowed to ply on the roads ? Will they need special registration ? wont be allowed on roads ?

e.g if I have a Mercedes E class W124 from the 90s, and it is more than 15 year s old? or say a beetle ?

thanks
Srinivas
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:14   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Yes it means exactly that . So if your car has a 15 year certificate on the expiry of 15 years be ready to go to a scrap yard to drop it off and scrap it as per the prevalent scrappage policy and buy a new car ( guessing electric ).
Hi,

I brought home my Swift VXi (Petrol) in 2006 and it has run only a little over 55000 Kms thus far. It's registration is due for expiration in June 2021.
The car is like my family member and come hell or high water, I won't take it to a scrapyard or buy another as to me it feels akin to bigamy of sorts.

Can you learned people let me know whether I'd be allowed to renew the registration upon paying whatever tax, hiked charges or not? Because Finance Minister's statement isn't lucid enough and makes me all forlorn.

Thank you.
SZodiac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:24   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
What will happen to the classic and vintage cars that many of the enthusiasts here own, love cherish and maintain ?

Will they be allowed to ply on the roads ? Will they need special registration ? wont be allowed on roads ?

e.g if I have a Mercedes E class W124 from the 90s, and it is more than 15 year s old? or say a beetle ?

thanks

Srinivas

I'm guessing a change in norms may take place wherein vintage cars are allowed on the roads only for road shows and special occasions, just speculating but could be. I have a classic Padmini too so trying to be keep it in touch notch shape and not being able to drive it would be a bummer of sorts.
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:30   #336

Need some advice from the experts.

By when do you think manufacturers like Hyundai/Honda start offering the BS6 ready versions of Petrol Cars like Creta/City

I have shortlisted Creta Petrol Automatic/Honda City CVT as my next car. However now that we are in September, I am wondering if I should hold on for a couple of months for the BS6 versions.

I can wait till November but that would mean that I would need to rent a car for 3 Months as I have recently sold off my old car.

Kindly advise
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:33   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
The salesman is partially right. I recently bought a BS6 Baleno 1.2 Zeta Petrol & the RC book shows BS IV/VI.
Has anybody else got this type of dual RC. We will like to know.
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:18   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZodiac View Post
Can you learned people let me know whether I'd be allowed to renew the registration upon paying whatever tax, hiked charges or not? Because Finance Minister's statement isn't lucid enough and makes me all forlorn.
Maharashtra & MMR region allow renewal of registration. I don't see any issue unless NGT or other Govt body comes up with a notification otherwise. My advice, see what happens at the time of renewal. In today's time policies change in a snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick75 View Post
I have shortlisted Creta Petrol Automatic/Honda City CVT as my next car. However now that we are in September, I am wondering if I should hold on for a couple of months for the BS6 versions.
If you wan't a bargain and save on with discounts due to slump in sales, now is the best time. Discount should be worth the plunge.

If not, I would suggest wait and purchase post BS6 i.e 1st April 2020. Its a major change in emission, no sense in buying old tech which losses on resale and plus old tech badge among friend circle.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 15:04   #339
BANNED

Toyota diesel vehicles to become 15%~20% costlier post BS-VI upgrade.
Quote:
"We expect a price rise of 15 to 20 per cent in our diesel vehicles with the transition (BS IV to BSVI)," TKM Deputy Managing Director N Raja told.

Majority of TKM's popular models like Innova and Fortuner are sold with diesel powertrains. Based on the company's total vehicle sales from January to July 2019, the current diesel-petrol ratio stands at 82:18.
Here's how the approximate prices of Toyota's top sellers post BS-VI conversion look like:

BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023-toyota-prices-post-bs6-conversion.jpg

Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 15:24   #340
Senior - BHPian

I have a question to all. If other manufacturers like Tata, Hyundai etc.are claiming that prices of their diesel cars will increase in the range of approximately 10% post BS6, how come only Toyota is claiming theirs to be in the range of 15-20%?

Earlier I was thinking it was just a rumor but now since a senior level Toyota guy has confirmed the same it definitely is going to happen. So why on earth only Toyota's BS6 upgradation is going to cost more?
Old 9th September 2019, 20:39   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

Sounds like a desperate attempt to push sales ! Wondering how come KIA was able to launch BS6 engine on Seltos at a lower price.
Old 9th September 2019, 21:49   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Here's how the approximate prices of Toyota's top sellers post BS-VI conversion look like:

Attachment 1913483

Source: ET Auto
Looks like Toyota is planning to "Yaris" the Fortuner and Innova

When cars like Seltos and C/E class are able to reduce prices while releasing BS6 cars, TKML management is just getting greedy.

In my opinion, govt should not reduce GST on cars costing upwards of 15 lacs as manufacturers will not pass on the benefits to the customer and instead overprice the cars to cover up the difference.
Old 9th September 2019, 22:53   #343
BHPian

I have a few questions regarding the BSVI "ready" cars.

1. Has BSVI compliant fuel available, at least for testing purposes?

2. Have OEMs tested vehicles using BSVI compliant fuel? If so, are the results of the BSVI tests available?

3. Have cars been tested by ARAI for compliance? If so, are the test results available?

4. Considering BSVI compliant fuel is still not available publicly, what's the effect of running BSVI ready cars on currently available fuel?

5. Have OEMs included the maintenance pertaining to BSVI in their maintenance schedule (owners manual)?

IMHO, without convincing answers to at least some of the questions above, it's really hard to say that cars sold today would meet BSVI norms.
Old 10th September 2019, 07:31   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
1. Has BSVI compliant fuel available, at least for testing purposes?

2. Have OEMs tested vehicles using BSVI compliant fuel? If so, are the results of the BSVI tests available?
All of Delhi NCR has been on BS VI fuel for more than a year. All OEM vehicles whose engines are BS VI compliant or non compliant have been running absolutely fine.

This BS VI switch over is being made out to be like the Y2K problem - lot of noise and panic around a non event. Please relax, everything is fine.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:07   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
All of Delhi NCR has been on BS VI fuel for more than a year. All OEM vehicles whose engines are BS VI compliant or non compliant have been running absolutely fine.

This BS VI switch over is being made out to be like the Y2K problem - lot of noise and panic around a non event. Please relax, everything is fine.
While referring to availability of BSVI fuel, I had meant widespread across India. Are OEMs not selling BSVI ready vehicles outside of the NCR? While it is known that it is available in the NCR, it would seriously limit the range of a BSVI car, at this time.

In a BSVI Diesel Car, due to changes in the exhaust treatment system using a different catalytic convertor, additional particulate filter and other Engine tune changes its imperative to use BSVI fuel.

Although BSIV Petrol can be used in a BSVI Petrol Car without much a fuss (since the norms are not vastly different from BSIV), but for a BSVI Diesel car its recommended to use only BSVI Diesel.
On the flip side, using BSVI fuel in a BSIV is ok, except that fuel efficiency is expected to drop due to lower sulphur levels.

Y2K was a serious issue that needed a lot of code to be fixed. The fact that it was identified early and many organizations addressed the issue in time ensured that there were no serious issues. I say this having been involved in coding from the 80's, when data storage was at a premium and every byte saved counted. Consequently people used only 2 digits for the year instead of 4. It was not that the issue did not exist. The ill effects were not felt since they were addressed in time.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks