Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 08:46   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

ARAI says it will not retest on-road again, fixed VW cars.

Quote:
Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) will not retest fixed Volkswagen (VW) cars on road after the company is done with the recall process as "this is beyond the regulatory purview".
"Retesting of cars will be carried out only to verify the regulatory conformance. Real driving emission measurement is not a part of the regulations
VW said it was recalling its cars in India, despite being in sync with domestic laws, because it wanted Indian cars to also get the same update as has been rolled out in Europe.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th September 2016 at 08:48.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 07:51   #137
BHPian

So what Volkswagen is essentially saying is that India don't deserve same clean air to breathe like North American countries, however they are generous enough to offer the same fixes here. This attitude is what is preventing this company from growing in India. They should not have added"despite being in sync with local laws". Automobile manufacturers should also come forward and be equally responsible to reform redundant motor vehicle laws instead of falling back on the existing rules as an excuse.
Old 28th September 2016, 10:09   #138
BHPian

To be honest, VW does transform a lot of laws in India. Mandatory ABS / Airbags in all variants for example.
If they bring in all the tech which they use abroad, I feel that they will be priced out of the segment. They do what they can, and who would blame them if there isn't a stringent law?
Old 28th September 2016, 16:02   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranjal1984 View Post
So what Volkswagen is essentially saying is that India don't deserve same clean air to breathe like North American countries, however they are generous enough to offer the same fixes here.
No, its actually the Government, and the prevailing BS-IV which is saying that! IIRC, BS-IV is based on the Euro-III emission norms, with the only big difference in the test cycle being the cruising speed - which is 120 kmph for EU, and 90 kmph for us... At least this is what I remember studying from my Automobile Engineering books.

PS: However I do not advocate the wrong doing from VW's side, but just saying the demands from our country is not good enough.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 12:35   #140
BHPian

Yesterday I did my first general checkup at 7000 km on my Vento TDI DSG. They checked everything and I got my car back the same day. Today I got a call from service centre that they forgot to update ECU software so if I could take back my car.

I said no I don't want that software update so I won't visit today. Then they said sir it's a free update and if you don't do it, then you won't get any further support from VW. They were literally begging to update that software. Something is up otherwise they don't do this in a manner like this.

After reading many posts I'm afraid to lose Fuel Efficiency or Power output of my car. Please someone suggest me what should I do?

My friendly technician told me that this update will cut off performance of the car thus they're developing new turbo charger to overcome this controlled downgrade from ECU. They'll launch new variant of Polo/Vento next month.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 12:45   #141
BHPian

Received this from VW 2 days back. No technical details are offered in the mailer. Is there any way I can get details of effects of these 2 things on performance of the car from anywhere other than the service center ?
( Just to cross-check the service center's explanation that will be offered ? )
Mine is a May2015 Vento TDi DSG - and I am very skeptical of so called 'Software updates' as we already had a major issue with my B-I-L's Vento Tsi after such an update to DSG gearbox software. Although VW earned some respect after they refunded all the money paid for his car - and took the car back even after 8 months of ownership, I doubt they'd repeat the act.
Attached Thumbnails
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-vw.jpg  

Last edited by hkanitkar : 30th September 2016 at 12:54.
hkanitkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 00:58   #142
Senior - BHPian

VW initiates recall for TDi engines in India

Only thing unknown is whether it will affect engine power and/or fuel efficiency?

Link.

My Vento TDi Highline April 2011.
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-vw-recall-tdi.jpg

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 1st October 2016 at 01:02.
Old 25th October 2016, 22:19   #143
BHPian

Guys I'm getting constant calls from VW for the update. I'm avoiding because I don't want to lose performance of my car. Please throw some light if someone has already updated.
Old 26th October 2016, 19:15   #144
BHPian

I recently gave my car for some running repairs to Marikar Skoda Trivandrum. It's Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI, the software update was done with flow straightener installed. (I didn't see any visual difference to the air-box). Initial findings are driveablity improved, Rapid sort of had a turbo lag and low end torque issue, that seems to be now vanished. Economy increased a minor bump to almost 1kmp/l. Power drop as per some other forums reported hasn't occured. The train like effect is still there, overall drivablity has improved vastly.
A dyno run might shed some light.
RevJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 19:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJ View Post
I recently gave my car for some running repairs to Marikar Skoda Trivandrum. It's Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI, the software update was done with flow straightener installed. (I didn't see any visual difference to the air-box). Initial findings are driveablity improved, Rapid sort of had a turbo lag and low end torque issue, that seems to be now vanished. Economy increased a minor bump to almost 1kmp/l. Power drop as per some other forums reported hasn't occured. The train like effect is still there, overall drivablity has improved vastly.
Thanks a lot. This helps in clearing a lot of doubts. I too have some running repairs for my Vento 1.6 TDi which I was delaying to know first hand experience on this update.

Will get the repairs done ASAP.

Thanks Rev!
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 21:38   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJ View Post
I went in to get the strud mounting replaced under warranty and my ASS from Kun VW madras updated the Emission fix software without any information to me. I was completely upset as this software update happened during a retaliation event on me by the dealer only for the reason that i wrote to VW customer care regarding the replacement of worn out brake rotor at 11,100 kms(its a very long story and i will share with you all in detail what actually happened later). When questioned on why did not they inform me before doing the emission software update, the manager said it is mandatory and i cannot avoid it - when i told him they cannot do this without my consent, he was kind of not listening

Following are my observations, on Emission Software Update.
1) Driveability has improved especially at first gear - before update the torque was very low in 1st gear in such a way that i could not move the vehicle forward in bumper to bumper traffic and hence i will engage second gear immediately, to and fro.This changed after the the software update and now i can pull the vehicle in first gear.

2) Fuel Economy has increased marginally - around 1-2 kms/L both in city and on highways.

3) I missed the sudden surge(that we all have enjoyed so far with a grin on our face) when Turbo kicks in at around 1900-2000rpm but the pull is definitely not bad. Turbo kick in this update is tuned to deliver linear power when compared to the sudden surge earlier (i could attribute this to the air flow value which is installed, which moderates the flow of air into the engine for appropriate combustion) I could feel that the engine is gasping for more air when you push the vehicle hard on the highway.
Any idea if we could give it a try by removing the air control value - experts here - please share your thoughts.

4) increase in engine noise especially when i release clutch in low gears - there is a kar kar tractor noise audible in the cabin which was definitely not present for the past 10 months (since the purchase), when i asked the ASS to check this, they said that it is due to the update and it will get settled later automatically, but i don't think so until they do something.

Overall nothing to bother as of now but we will have to wait and see for the Long term effects on what this emission control update is going to do to our vehicles engines durability.
anandharamanp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 09:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
I
4) increase in engine noise especially when i release clutch in low gears - there is a kar kar tractor noise audible in the cabin which was definitely not present for the past 10 months (since the purchase), when i asked the ASS to check this, they said that it is due to the update and it will get settled later automatically, but i don't think so until they do something.
I just came back from a highway trip of 750 kms(bothways) and the kar kar noise seems to be reduced by now, not sure how - but anyway glad that it has come down significantly. Just thought of sharing with you all.
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 10:09   #148
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone got the engine update done for the Jetta 2.0TDi through the voluntary recall campaign? If yes, is there any difference in power delivery or fuel economy?

I just checked the VIN number of my Jetta 2.0TDI DSG using the link provided by "el lobo 6061" a few posts earlier and got the message that my car is covered under the voluntary recall. But have not yet received any communication from my dealer.

Last edited by graaja : 31st October 2016 at 10:12.
Old 31st October 2016, 10:36   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just came back from a highway trip of 750 kms(bothways) and the kar kar noise seems to be reduced by now, not sure how - but anyway glad that it has come down significantly. Just thought of sharing with you all.
Can you give more insights about the performance of the car during the trip? How does it get to highway speeds? Has the pace gone down a bit?
Sorry, I'm just too curious to know.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:42   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Following are my observations, on Emission Software Update.

3) I missed the sudden surge(that we all have enjoyed so far with a grin on our face) when Turbo kicks in at around 1900-2000rpm but the pull is definitely not bad. Turbo kick in this update is tuned to deliver linear power when compared to the sudden surge earlier
Thank you anandharamanp for sharing this update here

I checked my VIN and it probably needs the software update. But as mentioned by you in your 'Point 3', if this is what I will have to live with post the update, I don't think I am visiting the VW showroom anytime.

I bought the 1.6 GT TDI ONLY for this Addictive Rush when the turbo spooled and if VW are planning to Hush the Rush, they can keep their update to themselves.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed