Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2016, 13:26   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
No, my understanding is that the 1.6 will get a flow transformer as well as ECU update while the 2.0 will only have an ECU update.
Well then, I believe someone ought to be the guinea pig, do a dyno before the update and after the update. Only this will bring out if there is a difference to the WHP.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 14:21   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Well then, I believe someone ought to be the guinea pig, do a dyno before the update and after the update. Only this will bring out if there is a difference to the WHP.
Since I am going for the update tomorrow, I will try taking it in writing that there is no change in power/torque ratings due to the update before they touch my car. As I type this, just received a call again from VW customer care to confirm if I am going tomorrow. I said I am going and also asked if this will effect the power in any way. She said no.

Anyways will try taking it in writing. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 18th November 2016, 14:25   #168
BANNED

The update was done on my car Polo 1.5 TDi around 20 days back. All they did was install a flimsy looking plastic web (They call it flow transformer but I doubt if it can do anything else other than slowing down the air flow) and do some update over the web.

Overall I am unable to make out if there is any difference in the power delivery of the car, it is more or less same and seriously I don't hear any knocking sound too in any gear (I can have a set of faulty ears though). So it is more or less same for me, rest the A.S.S. guys gave a free car wash along with a 2000 rupees costing detailing kit with the car which contains:
  • Car Polish
  • Interior Cleaner
  • Tyre Shine
  • Glass Cleaner
  • Shampoo
  • Windshield Washer
  • Cleaning brush
  • Car care sponge
  • Micro fiber cloth
  • Sprayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Since I am going for the update tomorrow, I will try taking it in writing that there is no change in power/torque ratings due to the update before they touch my car. As I type this, just received a call again from VW customer care to confirm if I am going tomorrow. I said I am going and also asked if this will effect the power in any way. She said no.

Anyways will try taking it in writing. Will keep you guys updated.
Rathore Sahab (Sahab sounds cool with 'Rathore')
I have driven a Jetta which has gone through the update. Couldn't notice if there was any difference, so I guess you can rest assured that everything will be okay.
Additionally don't forget to take that kit too (VW giving it officially) with the written note on power and torque remaining same.

Last edited by VKumar : 18th November 2016 at 14:39.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 15:36   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Had received a call from the Rajaji Nagar VW ASS about the "Software Update Camp" for my Jetta few days back and they gave me an appointment for tomorrow 8AM as per my agreed time. I also have my 3rd service due which I will get getting done along. Anything I need to keep in mind before going for it? Anyone got it done already?

Since this will be my first interaction with VW ASS, is Rajaji Nagar VW a good one to start with?

I got my Jetta updated with the new software during my 3rd service. I was told that there will be no change in power or efficiency. I don't feel any difference yet in the city.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 15:38   #170
BHPian

I am probably going to ask them to just do the service and not to do any sort of update till i have a more definite picture.

Loss of power/torque and knocking, (some of the rumoured after effects) both of which is not ok with me as i am very happy with the car in its current form.
Old 18th November 2016, 16:32   #171
BHPian

Received two calls from the dealer (yesterday and today).

There was no apology on behalf of VW. Instead, the lady compared the update with a regular mobile software update and represented the campaign as if it is some charity done by VW to the customers.

I passed her offer of 'charity' and told her that I would contact them if I will be interested in updating my Jetta.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 16:38   #172
BHPian

My vento got updated last week. Ever since I got the car back, knocking is on another level. It's sounding like a tractor now. Idle is okay but as soon as I hit throttle, it sounds like tractor (real loud). Everyone is complaining about the same in my area (Volkswagen Vapi).

I think car lacks required oxygen at low RPM thus it knocks (and kind of misfires) and as soon as turbo kicks in it vanishes and everything is back to normal.

According to me no noticeable power difference. Not sure but I feel that Distance To Empty is more accurate than before.

I was there during the entire process. After updating, the technician took a long test drive. He did some steps like driving in 5th gear at speed of 100 km/h and then again driving on same speed with 4th gear and repeated the steps 3-4 times.

Can anyone tell me how they did "adaptation test drive" to your car. I read somewhere that if it's not done properly then knocking can be heard. PLEASE HELP

Mine is 2016 1.5 TDI DSG Vento. And service centre gave me VW cleaning kit worth INR 2000 as a gesture.
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-imageuploadedbyteambhp1479466982.434042.jpg
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-imageuploadedbyteambhp1479467006.724934.jpg
maddyguage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 22:21   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
My vento got updated last week. Ever since I got the car back, knocking is on another level. It's sounding like a tractor now. Idle is okay but as soon as I hit throttle, it sounds like tractor (real loud). Everyone is complaining about the same in my area (Volkswagen Vapi).
=======
Can anyone tell me how they did "adaptation test drive" to your car. I read somewhere that if it's not done properly then knocking can be heard. PLEASE HELP

Mine is 2016 1.5 TDI DSG Vento. And service centre gave me VW cleaning kit worth INR 2000 as a gesture....
I had a terrible knocking tractor like kar kar noise immediately after the update, i was totally upset initially but the noise vanished after i took it on highway for about 500 kms and is sounding normal now. may be SA did not do the adaptation test drive properly. I suggest you take the vehicle on the highway and take it through different rpms and i think the sound will settle down.

The cleaning kit that they we got as gift in this case generally cost only 1000 Rs to VW but selling price of which is 2000 Rs, if you want to purchase this kit at normal times from VW. I was able to find out this as the SA left a piece of invoice "billing back to company" in my car during the update.

100% profit to dealer - that is why these guys are always pushing us for replacements.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th March 2017 at 13:26. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
anandharamanp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:24   #174
BHPian

Got the ECU Update and 3rd Service done during the weekend. Preliminarly, I do not feel any loss in power. Though it seems to have become more linear now. However, there is a drastic increase in FE. Earlier it never showed above 13~14 Kmpl in the MID in the city. Now today's office drive shows 18.5

I was expecting some improvement but this is too much. Seems like the ECU upgrade is indeed working.

Got the Car care kit as well.
Old 21st November 2016, 15:01   #175
BANNED

Quote:
I was expecting some improvement but this is too much. Seems like the ECU upgrade is indeed working.
That means I am not alone, recently on a Delhi-Lucknow-Delhi trip my chauffy also claimed the same. He enthusiastically said that Polo gave over 22 kpl of fuel economy.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:26   #176
BHPian

Went to VW Downtown to give my Passat for service. I was informed that they are recalling only Polo/Vento and Jetta as of now. Passat Owners will have to wait a bit longer for the recall.

The SA informed me that there is no loss of power or torque after the recalibration.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:29   #177
BHPian

Any news about recall of Skoda vehicles? I havent got a call yet from Tafe Access, Bangalore
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:36   #178
BHPian

What I don't understand is , if there is no compromise on fuel efficiency or power after the update, why the hell did they cheat in the first place?!! Something is not fitting in here. Like it was mentioned before, someone should dyno the car before and after.
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:52   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
What I don't understand is , if there is no compromise on fuel efficiency or power after the update, why the hell did they cheat in the first place?!! Something is not fitting in here. Like it was mentioned before, someone should dyno the car before and after.
Not to mention cleaner tail pipe emissions. Something really is not adding up here.
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:17   #180
Senior - BHPian

Even though VW claims no power loss, What strikes me is why cheat then? There is surely a catch, I am not going to take a chance till i feel confident, If so ill first try and get a drive a jetta with an updated software, But even for that i would prefer driving and testing it both in city and highway which common seems pretty impossible, What if they have tweaked the ECU higher up the gears?

Won't update till there is a proper clarity.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed