Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:16   #181
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
What I don't understand is , if there is no compromise on fuel efficiency or power after the update, why the hell did they cheat in the first place?!! Something is not fitting in here. Like it was mentioned before, someone should dyno the car before and after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Not to mention cleaner tail pipe emissions. Something really is not adding up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Even though VW claims no power loss, What strikes me is why cheat then? There is surely a catch, I am not going to take a chance till i feel confident, If so ill first try and get a drive a jetta with an updated software, But even for that i would prefer driving and testing it both in city and highway which common seems pretty impossible, What if they have tweaked the ECU higher up the gears?

Won't update till there is a proper clarity.
I am in for a comparo test drive if anyone wants to check my updated Jetta in Bangalore. It would surely bring in some insight. Bharat, is your Jetta among the recalled ones? Our VCDS session is also due.
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
I am in for a comparo test drive if anyone wants to check my updated Jetta in Bangalore. It would surely bring in some insight. Bharat, is your Jetta among the recalled ones? Our VCDS session is also due.
People in banglore go for it! Driving both the original and updated jetta back to back should give some insight surely, And then perhaps a small review of the same would help many others who are in the same boat.
Old 23rd November 2016, 21:42   #183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Any news about recall of Skoda vehicles? I havent got a call yet from Tafe Access, Bangalore
Thanks to Himanshu Aggarwal for sharing these details:

Quote:
I just wanted to share an important piece of information on the subjected matter with other enthusiasts through your esteemed forum.

I had taken my Skoda Rapid Style Plus (1.5 TDI CR MT) for a Warranty Replacement in October, wherein the dealer went ahead and voluntarily performed an upgrade under the emission scandal campaign for India.

Following steps were performed :-

1. Installation of a Flow Straighter.
2. Software Update (not shown anywhere in the bill, but came to know upon inquiring).
3. A sticker to mark the upgrade (don't know where they've placed it).
4. A free gift of Skoda genuine "Summer Car Care Kit" costing around Rs. 1300.

After the update, I could feel a better throttle response from my car. Also, it didn't have any effects on the F.E.
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-img_5963.jpg

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-fullsizerender.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 23:00   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a real scam that VW/dealers are referring to this as an upgrade.

Trying to put a positive spin on a recall which is entirely down to them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 23:32   #185
BHPian

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Alright here is my input after driving my 1.5 TDI Vento Highline DSG for about 1000 km post update.

1. After several attempts done by Service Centre, tractor like (karrrrrr) sound is still present. (mostly below 1400 RPM)

2. According to me Fuel Efficiency is up by around 10-15 %. I get 900 km now on a full tank.

3. Power delivery is very linear.

4. Throttle seems slightly heavy post update.

5. I feel like on low RPM engine lacks Oxygen, so it kinda misfires sometimes. If you suddenly press full throttle, you will get microseconds delay in power delivery.

Steps performed :-

1. Flow Straightener (whatever they call it) installed in Air-box.

2. ECU updated online.

3. A sticker marked on spare wheel located in the trunk.

4. Adaptation test drive done to re-calibrate ECU.

5. Free gift of "VW CAR CARE KIT" given worth INR 2000.

6. A photograph taken while receiving free gift.

Last edited by maddyguage : 23rd November 2016 at 23:33.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 13:42   #186
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have given my 2015 Jetta for the software update today.

I drive from Mumbai to Igatpuri and back once every month and I am due to travel this month on 29th so will update on if there is any difference in performance.
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 13:13   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi everyone,

I have given my 2015 Jetta for the software update today.

I drive from Mumbai to Igatpuri and back once every month and I am due to travel this month on 29th so will update on if there is any difference in performance.
Hi everyone,

So I am happy to share my feedback of my 2015 Jetta post the software update yesterday.

Firstly, there is absolutely no knocking sound heard from the car be it during regular sedate driving, sports mode or cold starts. So either the software update does not produce knocking on the Jetta (as per the VW Service Advisor. Apparently this knocking is heard on Ventos specifically) or the 'adaptation test drive' was done really well.

In terms of performance, I did not find any lack of it. As a matter of fact, I felt the car to be much smoother than before. The fuel efficency feels to have improved but I will confirm this post my trip to Nashik early next week.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th November 2016 at 13:18. Reason: typo
Epic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 11:47   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi everyone,

So I am happy to share my feedback of my 2015 Jetta post the software update yesterday.

Firstly, there is absolutely no knocking sound heard from the car be it during regular sedate driving, sports mode or cold starts. So either the software update does not produce knocking on the Jetta (as per the VW Service Advisor. Apparently this knocking is heard on Ventos specifically) or the 'adaptation test drive' was done really well.

In terms of performance, I did not find any lack of it. As a matter of fact, I felt the car to be much smoother than before. The fuel efficency feels to have improved but I will confirm this post my trip to Nashik early next week.
Early next week it is (so, any update?) My car is scheduled for the software update today but I can hold on to it for longer, if needed. But, need some detailed inputs boss..

I really have no incentive in getting the car updated in case it blunts the performance. Can somebody help please?
Old 30th November 2016, 10:47   #189
Senior - BHPian

I'm at the Skoda service centre to resolve a small issue and when i checked on the software update for 1.6 TDI, they are stating that the update is being done only for 1.5TDI as of now and they don't have any information on 1.6 as on date.

Is this correct? I was under the assumption that it is 1.6 that is being updated first since it was the older engine which inherently had higher emissions
Old 30th November 2016, 15:47   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Early next week it is (so, any update?) My car is scheduled for the software update today but I can hold on to it for longer, if needed. But, need some detailed inputs boss..

I really have no incentive in getting the car updated in case it blunts the performance. Can somebody help please?
So got back from my trip last evening and the drive was great. No issues with performance. The power delivery seems to be more linear and smooth now. Fuel efficency seems to have increased by a kilometer or so. There is no incentive I guess but I would have got the update done anyway as it is required. And I believe, where you want to get the update done or not, I am sure it will be update the next time you give your car for service.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 22:55   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I'm at the Skoda service centre to resolve a small issue and when i checked on the software update for 1.6 TDI, they are stating that the update is being done only for 1.5TDI as of now and they don't have any information on 1.6 as on date.

Is this correct?
It's actually correct.

I visted VW Workshop on Monday 28 Nov for running repairs and they too said the same. No update for 1.6 TDi as of now. They were speculating update to be released in a months time.

One difference is, Skoda offering Rs. 1300 car care as souvenir whereas VW giving Rs. 2000 car care kit.
Old 30th November 2016, 23:57   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
It's actually correct.

I visted VW Workshop on Monday 28 Nov for running repairs and they too said the same. No update for 1.6 TDi as of now. They were speculating update to be released in a months time.

One difference is, Skoda offering Rs. 1300 car care as souvenir whereas VW giving Rs. 2000 car care kit.

It seems to be the case. I had taken my car for the annual service and they didn't ask me about this neither was it done. They said they will get a notification based on the VIN and apparently for mine it is not yet received. So maybe 1.6 patch is not yet released.

I was glad. I will wait till a clearer picture emerge
Old 1st December 2016, 06:45   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Is this correct? I was under the assumption that it is 1.6 that is being updated first since it was the older engine which inherently had higher emissions
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Any news about recall of Skoda vehicles? I havent got a call yet from Tafe Access, Bangalore
You needn't wait for a call. You can check at their website with the VIN to see if your vehicle is eligible for the 'upgrade'

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/service/service-campaign

My Fabia 1.2 TDI shows up and I am going to the SVC tomorrow, will keep you updated if I get any info.
Old 1st December 2016, 07:48   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
It's actually correct.

When I was at the service centre yesterday, I connected with a senior person of the facility and he was quite honest about a few things. He said that the general feedback is that the engine noise seems to have gone up and many customers have have been very disappointed with this. So they are making it a point to inform customers about this before fitting the so called flow transformer and the software upgrade. He also mentioned that if some customers refuse to have this done they are asking them to sign a note stating their non-inclination. He seemed to be of the opinion that it should be up to the customer to decide on this since the emissions anyway meet the current Indian norms.

Anyway my car isn't due now since the 1.6 is going to be rolled out later next month or may be even January, so I will probably get it done by May 2017 when I'm due for my annual service. Hopefully by then there is some clarity if the engine noise settles down.
Old 1st December 2016, 08:09   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He said that the general feedback is that the engine noise seems to have gone up and many customers have have been very disappointed with this. ... ... ... He seemed to be of the opinion that it should be up to the customer to decide on this since the emissions anyway meet the current Indian norms.
Interesting, thank you. So we really have nothing to gain from this.

Oh, except maybe environmental responsibility. But is it even certain that their changes will reduce harmful emissions?

Most Viewed