Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2016, 12:49   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Just got to know that the 06 months interval check-up will be 1000 bucks each. This is atrocious!!!

- VW first cheats the whole world with a cheat device to manipulate their car's emissions.
- Then they say they will fix it free of cost by changing the software which apparently also lowers the power of your car.
- The changed software now tells you to have the car checked every 06 months.
- You are charged for this 06 month check-up.
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 23:28   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: 06 Months Check-Up Mandatory After Software Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
He is not yet clear on whether this 'general check-up' is free or a paid service. I guess I will get to know in 20 days time
Well the SA is just fooling around to make an extra buck.

Volkswagen cars service interval is 1 year / 15,000 kms whichever is earlier.

The free general checkup is after 6 months from purchase. Since your car will be 2 year old in Feb 2017, it is not applicable.

You can reset it on your own:

Old 18th December 2016, 12:50   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Well the SA is just fooling around to make an extra buck.

Volkswagen cars service interval is 1 year / 15,000 kms whichever is earlier.

The free general checkup is after 6 months from purchase. Since your car will be 2 year old in Feb 2017, it is not applicable.
Hi el lobo,

Thank you for your inputs. However, it is not him who is insisting that I get the 06 months service interval done. There is a pop up on the MID of the car saying so. I had bought the car in September 2016 and this message has only popped up now.
Attached Thumbnails
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-vw-jetta-mid.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2016 at 14:44. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Makes it easier to read for our smartphone users. Thanks!
Old 18th December 2016, 18:29   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a pop up on the MID of the car saying so. I had bought the car in September 2016 and this message has only popped up now.
Check when was the last service done; date and km reading. Calculate 1 year or 15,000 kms whichever is earlier. If there is still time, reset the inspection. Attached videos in previous reply.

Maybe during previous service, workshop may have forgotten to reset it.
Old 20th December 2016, 17:31   #215
BHPian

Spoke to a dealer in Delhi/NCR, they are willing to service my car and not updating the software.

However, they would mention this on the job sheet: "The customer has refused to get his car updated".

They're also claiming that this would NOT cause any warranty related trouble in the future.

I'm trying to get more information on this.

Quote:
Check when was the last service done; date and km reading. Calculate 1 year or 15,000 kms whichever is earlier. If there is still time, reset the inspection. Attached videos in previous reply.

Maybe during previous service, workshop may have forgotten to reset it.
Mine is 2014 model Jetta, and unfortunately it does not have the reset option.

Last edited by maglev : 20th December 2016 at 17:32.
Old 20th December 2016, 19:05   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Mine is 2014 model Jetta, and unfortunately it does not have the reset option.
You can reset it manually, Doesn't work the way its shown above in the video, Do this,

Press and hold the Trip reset button and then insert the key and switch on the car, You'll directly get an option to "Reset service interval", Click OK and your good to go.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 13:42   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
You can reset it manually, Doesn't work the way its shown above in the video, Do this,

Press and hold the Trip reset button and then insert the key and switch on the car, You'll directly get an option to "Reset service interval", Click OK and your good to go.
Thanks, I tried, this technique works like a charm.

Quote:
Just got to know that the 06 months interval check-up will be 1000 bucks each. This is atrocious!!!

- VW first cheats the whole world with a cheat device to manipulate their car's emissions.
- Then they say they will fix it free of cost by changing the software which apparently also lowers the power of your car.
- The changed software now tells you to have the car checked every 06 months.
- You are charged for this 06 month check-up.

This is what my car displays after the 2 year/ 30,000 KMs service.

Personally, I like this 6 monthly check-up as its a precautionary measure, which includes an inspection of all components and underbody, fluid top-ups, cleaning of the air/ AC filter and washing.

I was told it is optional and not mandatory, but very highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-jetta-service-alert-post-2nd-service.jpg  

Old 26th December 2016, 13:36   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Tanveer for this. However, after this procedure, will this message vanish forever or will it just 'reset' and appear again after a particular duration?
Old 26th December 2016, 13:39   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Tanveer for this. However, after this procedure, will this message vanish forever or will it just 'reset' and appear again after a particular duration?
It will basically reset itself to the next due service, For instance if you serviced your car at 15,000 kms and the service centre did not reset it for you, By doing that it will automatically set the next service in 15000 kms / 365 days.
Old 26th December 2016, 13:43   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will basically reset itself to the next due service, For instance if you serviced your car at 15,000 kms and the service centre did not reset it for you, By doing that it will automatically set the next service in 15000 kms / 365 days.
Oh wait hang on!! This is not the regular 15k / 01 year 'service' inspection message but just an 'inspection' message which as per the service advisor will pop up every 06 monts.
Old 26th December 2016, 13:47   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh wait hang on!! This is not the regular 15k / 01 year 'service' inspection message but just an 'inspection' message which as per the service advisor will pop up every 06 monts.
Yes, You would get the inspection reset as well, Also my service centre had recently said 6 month checkup has been waived off, My friendly SA too said the same, Would save you 1k-2k as well for doing nothing, Its not at all mandatory, You can check the engine oil and coolant yourself to make sure its fine, Even my next service was reset to only 365 days or 15000 kms, Inspection period was removed.
Old 1st January 2017, 20:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

Has VW released ECU update for 1.6 TDi for the dieselgate emission? Has anyone got their Vento 1.6 TDi updated and what is the result?
Old 1st January 2017, 20:53   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has VW released ECU update for 1.6 TDi for the dieselgate emission? Has anyone got their Vento 1.6 TDi updated and what is the result?

Think the 1.6 ECU update is yet to be released. I was at the Skoda service centre 2 weeks ago and was told that the 1.6 update could be delayed, may be even Feb / March 2017. Looks like VW first wants to complete the exercise for 1.5 Tdi and then wants to roll out the update for 1.6.

I'm surprised by this whole move since 1.6 engines date back to as early as 2011 and they were in business until late 2015, so potentially much more cars with this engine and the emission scandal broke out when the 1.5 was rolling out, so somewhere in the mid they would have started updating the ECU at the factory for these engines as well so the 1.5 Tdi ECU updates must be for very less cars. Why would they do this? Shouldn't they have targeted the 1.6 first? Or globally have they delayed the 1.6 update?
Old 13th January 2017, 16:51   #224
BHPian

I have a 2012 Passat and have just received an email from the dealer informing me to bring my car in for a software update.

I replied asking them to state what will be the max engine power/torque after the software update. Also, IIRC VW India had earlier stated that the update is not mandatory since their cars comply with the BS IV emissions.

Has any other Passat Owner been contacted as yet?

Please let me know, thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:48   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, You would get the inspection reset as well, Also my service centre had recently said 6 month checkup has been waived off, My friendly SA too said the same, Would save you 1k-2k as well for doing nothing, Its not at all mandatory, You can check the engine oil and coolant yourself to make sure its fine, Even my next service was reset to only 365 days or 15000 kms, Inspection period was removed.
So, I got the inspection message on the MID on my 2013 Vento. I just took it to the local garage (Bay6) and got the oil and coolant topped off. I haven't reset the service message though.

One odd thing that happened. On a 650km drive, I was entering Bangalore and the "coil" light lit up in orange. I didn't know what to do. I put on my emergency blinkers and slowed the car down to the side of the road (Bommasandra, near EC). Kept it in idle for about 2 minutes, still didn't vanish. Then switched off, waited for about 2 minutes, switched back on. The warning disappeared. Not sure what happened.

Most Viewed