Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2017, 23:24   #226
BHPian

Re: 06 Months Check-Up Mandatory After Software Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
One odd thing that happened. On a 650km drive, I was entering Bangalore and the "coil" light lit up in orange.
Thats the glow plug indicator. It shouldn't come on while the engine has been running. It should only come on when u try to start a cold engine. Get it checked.
Old 8th March 2017, 14:11   #227
BHPian

Skoda India Emissions Software Upgrade : Did You Do it? What does it do?

Yesterday i took my 4X4 for a routine annual maintenance appointment. After leaving the car i was called by the service guy and he asked if I wanted the software to be upgraded. I asked what does the upgrade do. He didn't have a clear answer, just said its a routine upgrade. I asked him to go ahead.

When I went to collect my car in the evening, i pushed him to tell me what the upgrade did? He didn't have a clear answer but he did say I wouldn't notice any difference in performance.

That to me, sounds like 'performance will go down, but the change is too less for you to notice'.

I didn't like that. Driving the car back, don't know if it was only psychological but I do feel the car doesn't pull as strongly in the first gear when you release the clutch from stop. Maybe I am thinking to much.

Anyone else had this upgrade? Is it possible to undo? I have written to Skoda India asking what specifically the software does. Haven't heard from them yet.
Old 8th March 2017, 15:48   #228
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda India Emissions Software Upgrade : Did You Do it? What does it do?

Would the update/upgrade be similar for Skoda as is for VW?

There's a thread where some people have posted their experience.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4107786
Old 9th March 2017, 08:02   #229
BHPian

Re: Skoda India Emissions Software Upgrade : Did You Do it? What does it do?

Similar I gues. But am looking for Skoda Owners' experiences.

I got a call from Skoda yesterday and they wanted to know what issues I was following. Then they said they would pass my concerns to the right teams. That's about it.
parambyte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 12:45   #230
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

The software has been updated in my 2015 Jetta and frankly I did not feel any difference (loss in power) in my car. As a matter of fact I found the car to be smoother and more fuel efficient. However many in India and abroad; including our own TBHP members are convinced that power has reduced post the software update. Today, I have sent my 2010 Yeti for the software update too.

The thing is that there are a lot of claims of power being reduced post software update, however no one yet has come up with proof (through a 04 wheel dyno test) that this is the case. And since there is a lot of noise about this, I am surprised that VW themselves have not clarified this as yet.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 15:52   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
As a matter of fact I found the car to be smoother and more fuel efficient. However many in India and abroad; including our own TBHP members are convinced that power has reduced post the software update... I am surprised that VW themselves have not clarified this as yet.
VW will maintain a studied silence. Bhpians won't. Allow me to quote a very interesting comment from another thread: (emphasis mine)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ch-2017-a.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
1. RSudarsanan - 320d
2. Dr.AD + 1 - SX4
3. KiloAlpha + 1½ - S-Cross 1.6
4. naveen.raju + (TBD) - Creta (one day drive - 25th March)
5. tilt +1 - neutered Jetta tdi
Need one say anything more?.

Last edited by dailydriver : 11th March 2017 at 15:53.
Old 11th March 2017, 20:15   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
VW will maintain a studied silence. Bhpians won't. Allow me to quote a very interesting comment from another thread: (emphasis mine)

Let's not get carried away, please! There is no data to suggest a massive drop in power. Period. Even if there is it would be negligible, at least that's what I feel.

I'm due to get the software remap on my 1.6 TDI when they announce a recall for this engine, will surely not mince my words if there is a genuine loss of power.
Old 11th March 2017, 22:20   #233
BHPian

I have a Jetta and a Rapid. My only question to VW is, if there is hardly any change to power, why did they cheat in the first place. Something doesn't add up.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 05:32   #234
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Is the Yeti 2 litre engine update available now?
I m thinking I must get it done asap!

Any Yeti people in Bangalore who have got this done?
Have you noted any difference in the vehicle's behaviour?

Would be obliged for inputs if any!
Old 14th March 2017, 15:26   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

More of an emotional statement than factual really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Let's not get carried away, please! There is no data to suggest a massive drop in power. Period. Even if there is it would be negligible, at least that's what I feel.

I'm due to get the software remap on my 1.6 TDI when they announce a recall for this engine, will surely not mince my words if there is a genuine loss of power.
I agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I have a Jetta and a Rapid. My only question to VW is, if there is hardly any change to power, why did they cheat in the first place. Something doesn't add up.
So the cheat software was more for emissions and not power. The cheat software would activate only once the car was on test mode. So when the car is on test mode, the drop in power (if any) should have been recorded too? So either it was not recorded or there was no drop in power.

Now, we all know that the belief is that a power oriented car lacks fuel efficiency and vice versa. Post software update, I have noticed that fuel efficiency has increased but by only a kilometer at the most. So even if the power has been compromised; how much can it be to be equal to a kilometer more efficient in terms of fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is the Yeti 2 litre engine update available now?
I m thinking I must get it done asap!

Any Yeti people in Bangalore who have got this done?
Have you noted any difference in the vehicle's behaviour?

Would be obliged for inputs if any!
I have got the software updated in my Yeti two days ago but haven't driven her yet to comment on the difference in the vehicle's behavior. Frankly I do not expect any change but will update soon.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:22   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

The VW Group believes the dark days of Dieselgate are behind it, profits were € 7.1billion .

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-2.jpg

Source- VW Global
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 00:20   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
There is some data available now. Details at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-update.html
Quote:
I''m due to get the software remap on my 1.6 TDI when they announce a recall for this engine, will surely not mince my words if there is a genuine loss of power.
Have you gone for the software update? Did you notice any perceivable difference in power output? Please share your personal experience.
Old 25th April 2017, 11:19   #238
Senior - BHPian

Dieselgate: Only 30% of recalled vehicles rectified in India

The Volkswagen Automotive Group (VAG) has announced that it has been able to mend only 30% of the 3.4 lakh cars that were recalled under the infamous dieselgate emissions scandal in India. The automaker had announced the said recall over a year ago but has still not been able to rectify a significant share of the affected models.

The automaker claims that the said delay in the recall process is a result of multiple brands, models and engine options being listed for the recall. This makes it difficult for the automaker to make the required engine updates in a seamless manner. These updates are being developed at the company's headquarters in Germany. Once the updates have been developed, the company is required to get approvals from the ARAI, before they are rolled out to customers. This process is slightly time consuming, which is causing the said delay in rectification.

Source: ET Auto
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:07   #239
BHPian

Here is another NYT article that very nicely stitches together the timeline of events leading upto the eventual confession by VW. Although this story has been covered extensively here, there are some new findings in the NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/06/b...trickery.html?
Old 8th May 2017, 13:11   #240
BHPian

Few of my colleagues have got the VW Dieselgate upgrade done and I have the following observations (while driving their car or having a drive with them)

1. The initial power has dropped significantly, though the Peak Power and Torque may remain the same, but the power band has shortened to at higher RPMs
2. There is a HEAVY black smoke during the start, be it Cold Start or Starting after 1-2 Hrs of Parking
3. The deceleration is Heavy now, even in 5th and 6th Gears. We feel as if someone is applying breaks when we take foot off the accelerator
4. The biggest problem of all is that the EGRs are failing and 3 of my colleagues had this issue and they are moving VW to re-imburse the cost. The mechanic says that the EGR fails because the valves now needs to handle almost twice the amount of exhaust gas than before and it's failing for heavy drivers post the upgrade

So, considering all this, the VW in Germany is now giving an option to the owners to not to upgrade, but we have to give it in writing that we are opting out of this upgrade and to keep VW safe in legal issue in future
PetroTurbo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed