Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2017, 13:21   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

We really should avoid the word "upgrade" on this one, it seems, as it doesn't look like any change for the better.

I'm not sure which might be the "right" word, but, simply, downgrade might be right, and should certainly annoy VW!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 14:36   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroTurbo View Post
Few of my colleagues have got the VW Dieselgate upgrade done *SNIP*

So, considering all this, the VW in Germany is now giving an option to the owners to not to upgrade, but we have to give it in writing that we are opting out of this upgrade and to keep VW safe in legal issue in future
Firstly, this is NOT an upgrade - I beg you to kindly stop calling it that. It is merely an update.

Secondly, and more importantly, now that VW seems to have realised the futility and the error in this update (and are now giving people the choice of updating or not), I wonder what happens to people who were forced into the update? VW clearly said there is no way to undo the update.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 08:11   #243
Senior - BHPian

I sense something more complicated with VW's program in India. Why have they taken so long for the updates? And the most important question is why haven't they rolled out the 1.6 TDI remap which would be covering more than 60% of the affected vehicles? I think the fix ain't that simple as VW shows it to be and probably the emission results post update ain't proven to be right as yet.
Old 9th May 2017, 16:30   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And the most important question is why haven't they rolled out the 1.6 TDI remap which would be covering more than 60% of the affected vehicles?
VW India on 2nd May 2017 released DieselGate Fix for 1.6 TDi. Customers have started receiving calls to have it done.

Being an owner of 1.6 TDi monster, I would advise everyone to shun this update unless they want to lose point which made them purchase Vento 1.6 TDi in first place.

Quote:
1. The initial power has dropped significantly, though the Peak Power and Torque may remain the same, but the power band has shortened to at higher RPMs
That's what has been the observation. Peak power and torque remain the same but spread has reduced.

Quote:
4. The biggest problem of all is that the EGRs are failing and 3 of my colleagues had this issue and they are moving VW to re-imburse the cost. The mechanic says that the EGR fails because the valves now needs to handle almost twice the amount of exhaust gas than before and it's failing for heavy drivers post the upgrade
FYI for knowledge sharing purpose.

Just in case VW washes its hands from EGR. You can have EGR disabled via ECU remap. Resulting in fresh air going in always. Power gets bumped up as engine breathes fresh air always.

Increase in pollution, I'm not aware of it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:10   #245
BHPian

I sent my Rapid to the service center for some niggles to be attended. The ECU was "upgraded" without my consent. This after I gave a written declaration that I am opting out of the program.

End result, I have a noisy, sluggish car that is such a pain to drive now. I feel cheated and angry. No, this is not at all right. I bought the car for its comfort and performance but both are now compromised.

I am seriously contemplating filing a case in the consumer forum for the blatant cheating.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:25   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I sent my Rapid to the service center for some niggles to be attended. The ECU was "upgraded" without my consent. This after I gave a written declaration that I am opting out of the program.

End result, I have a noisy, sluggish car that is such a pain to drive now. I feel cheated and angry. No, this is not at all right. I bought the car for its comfort and performance but both are now compromised.

I am seriously contemplating filing a case in the consumer forum for the blatant cheating.
This doesn't look good. Was there any change in your re-fuelling pattern (Different petrol pump) When you say it is noisy and sluggish, is this observed over a period of time, or was this seen immediately after the software update?
If this is the case, I will shun this update if they call me for it. I have a Rapid 1.6 TDI 2012.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:40   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
This doesn't look good. Was there any change in your re-fuelling pattern (Different petrol pump) When you say it is noisy and sluggish, is this observed over a period of time, or was this seen immediately after the software update?
If this is the case, I will shun this update if they call me for it. I have a Rapid 1.6 TDI 2012.
I am using the same Shell fuel station since I bought the car, except for a few instances when I am out of Bangalore. and Yes, it is a noticeable difference immediately after the update.

The noise and sluggishness is a known symptom which is why I declined the update in the first place.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:46   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They will update it during your next service.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:54   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am using the same Shell fuel station since I bought the car, except for a few instances when I am out of Bangalore. and Yes, it is a noticeable difference immediately after the update.

The noise and sluggishness is a known symptom which is why I declined the update in the first place.
Hmm. This make me more cautious on the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
They will update it during your next service.
When I gave my car for the service in the last week of April 2017, they had said that the update for the 1.6 TDI was available, but for some reason, it was not working . They said they will call later so that I can get it done. From the other threads, I think they need customer consent to update this, or we give a declaration that we are voluntarily opting out of this update.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:58   #250
Senior - BHPian

Since the call back is mandated by Govt of India, I guess VW can very well say that they are just executing the order. I doubt if consumer forum can help at all.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:58   #251
BHPian

Quote:
From the other threads, I think they need customer consent to update this, or we give a declaration that we are voluntarily opting out of this update.
Yes there is a declaration form to be filled for opting out. But obviously that was overlooked the next time the car went to the A.S.S.
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:02   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Since the call back is mandated by Govt of India, I guess VW can very well say that they are just executing the order. I doubt if consumer forum can help at all.
+1.

As per a recent press release, they seem to be under pressure as only 30% of the vehicles have been covered under this update program.

Consumer forum might help because VW had promised that the updates will not affect the performance of the vehicles. However, it will be hard fight since the power and torque figures might remain same and only the torque spread is affected, which is rather difficult to prove in the court.

Quote:
Yes there is a declaration form to be filled for opting out. But obviously that was overlooked the next time the car went to the A.S.S.
I believe it's mandatory as per GOI and ARAI to carry out this update on all the cars and they will do it at some point, and the only way to avoid it is not to use the authorized service centers for any work.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd May 2017 at 13:03.
Old 28th May 2017, 11:45   #253
BHPian

I own a 2010 Vento 1.6 tdi, one of the earliest ones in India. About a week ago got a call from VW Rajajinagar, Bangalore that the vehicle needs a software fix and it is mandatory. On clarification, I was informed that it was mandatory from VW. I informed them that I have not been contacted by VW and I needed more time to consider. The dealership/service centre was very keen to get it done at the earliest when I told them that I would consider getting it done during the next service in September 2017. They said it would be too late and they would call me next month. Obviously the service centres gets some incentive to apply the fix but what about the owners? UK sites mention about EGR failures after the fix for which they are compensated. Did speak to the service adviser and expressed my concerns. He reassured me by saying that there won't be any change in mileage,performance etc but a slight increase in noise. he said that the noise increase would be more with the 1.5 tdi. I do take the reassurance with a pinch of salt. I am still in a dillema because I don't want to add to the pollution but at the same time don't want a dud of a car.
Old 28th May 2017, 12:26   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
I own a 2010 Vento 1.6 tdi, one of the earliest ones in India. About a week ago got a call from VW Rajajinagar, Bangalore that the vehicle needs a software fix and it is mandatory. On clarification, I was informed that it was mandatory from VW. I informed them that I have not been contacted by VW and I needed more time to consider. The dealership/service centre was very keen to get it done at the earliest when I told them that I would consider getting it done during the next service in September 2017. They said it would be too late and they would call me next month. Obviously the service centres gets some incentive to apply the fix but what about the owners? UK sites mention about EGR failures after the fix for which they are compensated. Did speak to the service adviser and expressed my concerns. He reassured me by saying that there won't be any change in mileage,performance etc but a slight increase in noise. he said that the noise increase would be more with the 1.5 tdi. I do take the reassurance with a pinch of salt. I am still in a dillema because I don't want to add to the pollution but at the same time don't want a dud of a car.

Just been a week since my 1.6 TDI Rapid has been updated by Skoda. Wouldn't say that there is any significant difference . For sure there is slightly more engine clatter at lower speeds and during slow climbs over inclines like fly over and at times at stop and do traffic etc, but on the move there isn't any engine noise increase. With regard to power drop, that boost which you had in 2nd gear has sort of flattened out, power delivery is more linear but feels like earlier once you cross 60kmph or so. I'm yet to try it on an open road, but would say that the 1.6's inherent qualities are largely unchanged. Although even the service executive was telling me off the record that the 1.5 TDI did feel a lot noisier than before. No sure since I haven't driven an updated 1.5.
Old 28th May 2017, 12:37   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. My car was also recalled, probably the first one to be recalled in Vadodara. It's been more than 3 months since my car was updated, so I think I will highlight the changes in engine character after the update.

- Engine clatter has increased marginally in the 1000 to 1250 rpm power band. At idle, the 2.0 TDI remains more or less the same.

- Lower end response has improved. The car is even easier to drive within the cities now.

- One very peculiar thing I have noticed is that the DPF or diesel particulate filter kicks in very often. In the city, the car idles at 1000 rpm rather than 900-950 rpm almost 75-80 % of times. On the highways, the idling is normal after a spirited drive.

- Fuel effficency has decreased in the cities but increased on highway runs by say, 1 Km/l.

- The power delivery is linear now. There is no surge that used to be there. It feels a bit tame to me, but not exactly sluggish. Beyond 3000 rpm, the power comes through in a linear manner.

Most Viewed