Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 14:09   #286

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

So I own a Polo GT 1.6 TDI and now I have received the below mail
Quote:
Diesel Service Action
VIN Number:WVWJ13604ET*****
Dear Customer,

We would like to inform you that the technical upgrade for Volkswagen vehicles started in September 2016 and is being implemented in a phased manner.

For your vehicle, the upgrade involves a software update to the engine management system along with hardware update (Installation of flow transformer). This process should take approximately less than an hour; however, based on your service appointment your authorized Volkswagen Service Partner will be able to confirm the precise duration that will be required for implementing the said update for your vehicle.

We, therefore request you to book an appointment for undertaking the above measures at a time convenient to you. We recommend that this be undertaken at the earliest convenient date at any of our authorized Volkswagen Service Centers.

The above measures will be implemented totally free of cost to you.

We would like to apologize once again for any inconvenience this issue has caused you, and thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Yours sincerely,
Thierry Lespiaucq
Managing Director
I am really happy with the performance of the car now, but seeing a few responses, about the engine becoming sluggish is saddening. I'm out of all warranty ties with the company. And infact the service centre at coimbatore is really bad.

Do you think the update is recomended for 1.6 TDI engines? You inputs are really appreciated
Old 19th July 2017, 14:23   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsathyaraj View Post
~~~~~~
Do you think the update is recommended for 1.6 TDI engines? You inputs are really appreciated
If you don't want to get the update, don't. Since you say you are out of all warranty, you have nothing to worry.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:37   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This mail is nothing less than a disgusting an outrageous lie. It is not an upgrade, it is a change because we-all-know-why.

That they are not straight about the process and its reason is just appalling.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 10:10   #289
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If this news is true, it is indeed a praiseworthy effort. Not easy in our country to have 2 lakh cars back in the workshop for updates.

Quote:
Volkswagen (VW) has said it has completed recall for 58% — about 1,98,000 — of its vehicles till mid-August 2017 while receiving all approvals from the Automotive Research Agency of India (ARAI) for its fix solutions.
Source
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 10:30   #290
BANNED

I don't see anything praiseworthy thats been done by VW. They lied, cheated and are continuing to cheat owners who bought their vehicles for the performance by giving out a flow "restrictor" and a software downgrade. VW would have cracked the "warranty void" whip through their dealerships to get the cars back in their workshop. Warranty void whip is enough to scare most VW owners into submitting themselves for this exercise.

They are just redeeming themselves from their mistake. How they handled it in US can be said praiseworthy (because they were afraid) and dished out fair compensation to owners (because they had no other choice). Here what are they offering - a car washing kit
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 11:06   #291
BANNED

No matter what few owners say regarding no loss of performance in their VWs after the fix the truth is that the performance loss and economy loss is being reported everywhere across the world by VW owners.

After this incident I would take any claims by VW with a sack of salt. After all they had the balls to do this on this scale and is not scared to lie at all.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 11:41   #292
Mtv
BHPian

The Audi service centre over here won't stop calling me to bring my car in for a "software upgrade". They are being very persistent with it, and are even willing to send someone over to pick up and drop the car.

When I asked them what the update is about, the lady on the phone simply said "Sir I cannot disclose the details to my clients, it is a software update for the engine".

We obviously know very well what the update is for and I have since refused them many times over. But what would stop them from doing the "update" anyway when I send my car in for it's routine service later in the year? If they can keep a customer in the dark about the emissions cheat, they can surely run the patch on the engine without his consent.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:07   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
But what would stop them from doing the "update" anyway when I send my car in for it's routine service later in the year?
You need this or something like this. Its an OBD port lock. This should fit many VAG cars.
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-obd1_99320413428edc52f1465787c82a1e7989af386e.jpg

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-obd2_0c980743ca09a3599ea8a1deb1c1546ea2ac23ec.jpg
SRC: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...evice-2921922/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/security-de.../dp/B00XPP6P6K
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 14:25   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
The Audi service centre over here won't stop calling me to bring my car in for a "software upgrade". They are being very persistent with it, and are even willing to send someone over to pick up and drop the car.

When I asked them what the update is about, the lady on the phone simply said "Sir I cannot disclose the details to my clients, it is a software update for the engine". ... ... ...
This is dishonest and disreputable. Least I would do is block their number[s]. You only need to speak to them at service time anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You need this or something like this. Its an OBD port lock. This should fit many VAG cars.
Do they not use the port for diagnostics during servicing?
Old 9th September 2017, 21:28   #295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Do they not use the port for diagnostics during servicing?
Unless there is some problem that needs addressing A.S.S don't need to touch the OBD during a regular service. To reset the service interval that can be done through console also?

This is only for fastidious owners who wants to know every detail what happens to their cars when in the service center. If A.S.S they need to do something with OBD owner need to go to the service center and unlock it, If he cares. Otherwise just don't bother with all this.

If I still had the GT TDI and I didn't want it to get flashed without my knowledge I would invest in something similar or make the OBD port inactive when giving it for service.

Its an inconvenience, thanks to VW

Last edited by Sankar : 9th September 2017 at 21:31.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 22:29   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sankar. Might make that investment too
Old 10th September 2017, 00:09   #297
BHPian

Quote:

I am really happy with the performance of the car now, but seeing a few responses, about the engine becoming sluggish is saddening. I'm out of all warranty ties with the company. And infact the service centre at coimbatore is really bad.

Do you think the update is recomended for 1.6 TDI engines? You inputs are really appreciated
My personal suggestion is dont go for it - if you go you will have to make a compromise. within few months i bought the car, i went in to the showroom for some brake issues and they fixed the software in my vento without letting me know - i felt the difference immediately i took the car our from service center. More details at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4084877
Old 15th September 2017, 11:11   #298
BHPian

Has anyone got their car serviced at an authorised centre without getting the emissions software update by giving a written undertaking? My car is due for service next month. I did call a service centre and they said they wouldn't do the update if a written undertaking absolving them of all responsibilities is given. Can they be trusted?
Old 15th September 2017, 11:58   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
Has anyone got their car serviced at an authorised centre without getting the emissions software update by giving a written undertaking? My car is due for service next month. I did call a service centre and they said they wouldn't do the update if a written undertaking absolving them of all responsibilities is given. Can they be trusted?
I have done this (and many other TBHP members have also done) twice, once during the regular service, and again when I had to leave the car for a warranty claim. And I have never felt any change in engine response after both these services. So, they do honor their word of not doing the update if you give them in writing.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 16:03   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, me too. Although I had initial doubts, I think this was psychological. I said no update, they wrote that on the job sheet, and I believe they did no update.

The only thing is the chance of human error, followed by "This update cannot be undone."

Most Viewed