Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 16:15   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The only thing is the chance of human error, followed by "This update cannot be undone."
+1. This was the one that I was worried most about - the service guy hooking up the car to their system and accidentally performing the update which later could not be undone!

I had asked the same doubt to the service manager and he told that this is something that cannot be accidentally done and if it is clearly indicated in the job card not to perform the update, the service guy will not do this.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 15:07   #302
Senior - BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new..._medium=Social
Quote:
Former Volkswagen executive Oliver Schmidt has been sentenced to seven years in prison and fined $400,000 (around Rs 2.50 crore) by a US District Court for his role in the emission scandal.
Quote:
Schmidt is the second Volkswagen employee to be sentenced to prison in the USA for his role in the scandal. In August, James Liang, VW’s former head of diesel competence, was sentenced to 40 months in prison and fined $200,000 (around Rs 1.30 crore).
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:12   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
This should act as a deterrent to any employee of any company who even have a passing thought of supporting something like this ever again.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:54   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

NGT summons ARAI director to explain about test on Volkswagen.

Quote:
To evaluate the worth of the said report of ARAI dated October 30, 2015, it is necessary to get certain inputs from the Director of ARAI, Pune. We therefore direct Rashmi Urdhwareshe, Director, ARAI to remain present before us on the next date with all the factual and technical inputs regarding the examination and testing carried out by ARAI

link
Old 18th January 2018, 12:31   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
NGT summons ARAI director to explain about test on Volkswagen.

link
It would be interesting to know what ARAI has to say. As far as I know, the American / Euro and Bharath emission norms are quite different. For instance, the driving cycle test is different as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the VW cars meet the Bharath norms though they may have failed the norms in other parts of the world. In that case, would be even more interesting to know if VW would "undo" the changes that they made on the Indian cars through their service centers.
Old 18th January 2018, 20:04   #306
Senior - BHPian

I came across a post on Facebook where a user claimed that VW has issues a software update for the 1.5 TDI engines which has improved performance. He said that he has got the update done on his car but there is no further information on this.

Could it be that VW has got a software update for the diesel engines with rectifies the power loss problem post the diesel gate software update?

Anyone aware of this software update?
Old 18th January 2018, 22:14   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I came across a post on Facebook where a user claimed that VW has issues a software update for the 1.5 TDI engines which has improved performance. He said that he has got the update done on his car but there is no further information on this.

Could it be that VW has got a software update for the diesel engines with rectifies the power loss problem post the diesel gate software update?

Anyone aware of this software update?
Wasn't this only for the 1.6 TDi engines. I thought the 1.5 was safe.

I've always specifically rejected the update whenever I take the car for servicing. I just can't live without the fun torque on tap. Sorry environment.
Old 18th January 2018, 23:21   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Wasn't this only for the 1.6 TDi engines. I thought the 1.5 was safe.

I've always specifically rejected the update whenever I take the car for servicing. I just can't live without the fun torque on tap. Sorry environment.

Well I am not sure on whether the 1.6 diesel engines were the only ones affected by the diesel gate issue. I have the Jetta TDI which is updated with the diesel gate software so hoping that if they have come up with a possible software update to rectify the power loss issue for the 1.5 diesels, they should soon come up with one for the 2.0 diesels too.
Old 16th July 2018, 15:56   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

NGT wakes up after a long slumber ( after hearing pleas filed ..) - Now asks Volkswagen to explain reasons for not recalling cars!

Quote:
The National Green Tribunal has directed German auto major Volkswagen, which is embroiled in a global emission scandal, to explain reasons for not recalling 3.23 lakh cars and warned of penal action.
The tribunal had earlier asked ARAI to explain details of tests carried out on diesel cars produced by Volkswagen.

Quote:
ARAI, however, had said the Volkswagen had submitted redesigned software for only 70 per cent and was yet to do so for the remaining 30 per cent.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th July 2018 at 15:58.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 10:48   #310
BHPian

A new development: VW directed to pay Rs 100 crore by NGT!!!
This is fantastic news. A fine will be an excellent deterrent to anyone planning such shenanigans in the future. Way to go NGT. Some highlights sourced from the various media reports:
  • An interim amount of Rs 100 crore with the Environment Ministry's Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB)
  • Earlier this year, the NGT had pulled up Volkswagen as it was yet to recall nearly 36 percent of vehicles. The company had earlier submitted a roadmap before the tribunal to recall over 3.23 lakh vehicles
  • A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel also formed a committee comprising officials of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Ministry of Heavy Industries, Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Automotive Research Association of India to calculate the actual quantum of the environmental loss
  • Pleas filed by a school teacher Saloni Ailawadi and a few others seeking ban on sale of Volkswagen vehicles for alleged violation of emission norms

Sources:
1. https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1700053_1.html

2. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-by-ngt-410484

3. https://www.livemint.com/Politics/Xq...using-che.html

P.S. Would strongly recommend the episode of Netflix's Dirty Money on the VW scandal
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 16:14   #311
BHPian

Just Asking:
How do our courts arrive at fine amount? Why 100crores, why not 1000cr or 50cr or some other value?
Is there any relationship between the healthcare cost / carbon credit cost or something like that and the proportionate fine?
Is the fine arrived at by the court through some scientific manner or is it just the 'Appropriate judgement passed by the Honorable judges according to their own judgement'?

What is the process, can some knowledgeable person enlighten me.
Old 19th November 2018, 18:42   #312
BHPian

Penalty in other countries,

US 4.3 billion$ = 30,800 Crore INR
South Korea 48 billion$ = 3,44,000 Crore INR (expected)
Germany 3.3 billion EUR = 27,027 Crore INR
INDIA = 100 Crore INR

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 19th November 2018 at 18:55. Reason: calculations
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 18:50   #313
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
Has anyone got their car serviced at an authorised centre without getting the emissions software update by giving a written undertaking? My car is due for service next month. I did call a service centre and they said they wouldn't do the update if a written undertaking absolving them of all responsibilities is given. Can they be trusted?
I dont understand this sentence of yours:

Quote: I did call a service centre and they said they wouldn't do the update if a written undertaking absolving them of all responsibilities is given.UnQuote.

Shouldnt it be the following?
.........they said they wouldn't do the update if a written undertaking absolving them of all responsibilities is NOT given.

Please clarify.
Old 19th November 2018, 20:16   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Penalty in other countries,

US 4.3 billion$ = 30,800 Crore INR
South Korea 48 billion$ = 3,44,000 Crore INR (expected)
Germany 3.3 billion EUR = 27,027 Crore INR
INDIA = 100 Crore INR
I don't think it is comparable. From what I understand, the 100cr fine in India is not for cheating emission norms, but for delaying fixes via software update.
Pacifier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 16:36   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifier View Post
I don't think it is comparable.
Well said. Plus it is an interim amount. If things are any indication, we should expect a larger fine to be levied.

Most Viewed