Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2019, 17:13   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

I refused to install the corrective device for the emissions on the car. In principle, why should I have a lesser experience if the car manufacturer is at fault?
Because we live on a shared planet my friend.

The attitude that I can throw garbage on the road while my car is clean as long as the law or its enforcement is weak is what will bring this planet down, well not the planet, but mankind definitely.
2000rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:38   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Group in India reiterated that all its cars are “compliant with the emission norms defined in India.”

Moves Supreme Court against NGT’s Rs 500 crore fine.

Quote:
Stating that the NGT order is arbitrary and unreasonable, the company said the fine was imposed even when an NGT-appointed committee (CPCB) report found that the vehicles of Volkswagen Group companies are in compliance with the regulatory environmental norms in India
Quote:
The automaker said the NGT has based its findings on the basis of “on road” tests which have no legal basis or validity under Indian law.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:37   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

No coercive action against Volkswagen, says SC

Quote:
SC virtually stayed the imposition of fine for the time being against the multinational automobile company.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 15:04   #334
BHPian

Top German court grants buybacks for Volkswagen diesel car o ..

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...m_source=email

I wonder what will happen in other European countries & elsewhere, including India?

Last edited by rpunwani : 27th May 2020 at 15:06.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:29   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

First FIR filed against Audi, VW in India for emission cheat device

The FIR cites forgery, cheating and criminal conspiracy under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.

Quote:
The FIR was filed by Noida resident Aniljit Singh against the top officials of Volkswagen and Audi in India and their headquarters in Germany. These include Rahil Ansari, Brand Director, Audi India, Balbir Singh Dhillon, Head, Audi India, and Bram Schot, Chairman, Audi AG.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th July 2020 at 12:30.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 17:12   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
First FIR filed against Audi, VW in India for emission cheat device

The FIR cites forgery, cheating and criminal conspiracy under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.

Link
Pleased to hear that someone has caught the bull by the horn.

It would be nice to see our courts giving similar verdicts as given in USA & Germany.

In the past I have tried to argue with the VW guys that they have cheated me when they sold the Passat to me and that I should be adequately compensated for their misgivings. Instead they offered to update the software and give a puny kit costing Rs. 1,100/-.
rpunwani is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 17:17   #337
BHPian

It took till 2020 for some one to file this case that too in a country where non sensical PILs are filed in 100s every day on flimsy reasons.

Hope this paves the way for stronger lemon and consumer laws in India.
charanreddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 17:27   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
... In the past I have tried to argue with the VW guys that they have cheated me when they sold the Passat to me and that I should be adequately compensated for their misgivings. Instead they offered to update the software and give a puny kit costing Rs. 1,100/-.
Yep. Firmware update is as much as we'll get, here.

Of course, those of us who have refused the update might have a hard time claiming compensation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:18   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yep. Firmware update is as much as we'll get, here.

Of course, those of us who have refused the update might have a hard time claiming compensation.
I don't think that refusing the update will lessen our case for compensation, if granted. I too have refused the upgrade.

I wanted VW to provide me in writing that the upgrade will not result in loss of power / torque. Obviously, they were not in a position to provide this as dyno tests in Europe have shown that there is as much as 10 BHP loss after the upgrade.

VW clearly intended to cheat people, and it won't matter whether we have taken so called corrective measures (update). If there was no change in power/torque I may have forgiven them - this is not the case.

Having said that, I believe that the emissions from the affected cars still meet Bharat IV norms even without the update.

Would be interesting to watch the developments
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:51   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi India Clarifies:

Quote:
Audi India has not received any concern from Aniljit Singh. We will look into the matter as and when it’s escalated to us
Quote:
We wish to clarify that all VW group vehicles in India are compliant with applicable norms and matter pertaining to alleged cheat device is sub-judice - pending before Hon’ble Supreme Court and the Supreme Court has passed an order of no coercive action against the company
Link
Old 19th July 2020, 11:11   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Noida police books German carmaker Volkswagen group firms, officials.

Quote:
Businessman Aniljit Singh said in his complaint that he was sold “substandard” vehicles after misrepresentation of facts on emission. He said he bought the cars in 2016, costing him crores of rupees.

He alleged the carmakers “induced” him into buying their vehicles and he bought them with an “impression” that they were compliant with the latest emission norms of the country.

“However, these were substandard vehicles fitted with cheat devices,” Singh said in his complaint, adding he was duped by the company on disclosure of pollution emission by its vehicles at the time of sale.
Noida Deputy Commissioner of Police:
Quote:
FIR has been lodged at the Sector 20 police station based on the complaint given by the complainant. The investigation has been taken up, and whether the allegations against the car companies are true will be ascertained only after the probe
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th July 2020 at 11:13.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:33   #342
Senior - BHPian

I guess, these Audi's were sold in 2016 and hence were confirming to the then existing BS4 emission norms, how can this case stand in the court of law? Only after the cars pass through the requisite clearances does it get the nod to launch them in the market. Even without cheat software and the rigs they had done in the overseas market, in India they would've still conformed to the BS4 norms. Need to check how NGT slapped a fine of 500 Cr. against VW India. The last we heard was SC staying that NGT order. Hence the complainant's claim of him being misled and cheated doesn't stand any ground I reckon unless there's a SC ruling that upheld the NGT order.

Hope I am not missing anything here.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 21st July 2020 at 10:54. Reason: addendum
Old 29th July 2020, 14:16   #343
BHPian

How VW got away cheaply in India

@Admin: This is my first post of this kind in Team-BHP. Feel free to trash it if it does not meet the guidelines

Consumer rights were upheld in most other countries where VW sold their cars. They've paid out of their nose to do that..

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/27/89586...elgate-drivers

Sadly, in India, while the Govt. and related bodies collected the spoils, the poor consumer that was affected the most was left out.

What did the consumer get? An ECU flash of their stupid dieselgate fix which killed the character of their car (something which was actually the reason why so many of us bought the car) AND, a car care kit.

Many of the owners were not even informed of this fix and it was pushed down the throat of the consumer during routine service. All this misadventure just because the consumer can't do anything here. Whatever happened to promised specs and performance?

VW should have given an option to buy back their cars at fair prices and offered options to upgrade. This could have at least saved their goodwill. As an owner of two Skodas that have this dieselgate fix pushed down my throat, I'm fuming as I have no option but to do a ECU tune for which I'll have to pay. Pay for their folly and the governance failure that cannot protect my interests.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 17:15   #344
Senior - BHPian

Re: How VW got away cheaply in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
1) VW should have given an option to buy back their cars at fair prices and offered options to upgrade.

2) I'm fuming as I have no option but to do a ECU tune for which I'll have to pay. Pay for their folly and the governance failure that cannot protect my interests.
1) Has this been done elsewhere in the world? I am sure there are enough legal terms & conditions that protects the manufacturers against such performance guarantees

2) Why should you pay for it? If you are supposed to pay then cant you simply refuse to pay for it? Does VW say that they will let the Pollution Under Control hounds on you for suspected higher polluting emissions?
Old 29th July 2020, 17:56   #345
BHPian

Re: How VW got away cheaply in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1) Has this been done elsewhere in the world? I am sure there are enough legal terms & conditions that protects the manufacturers against such performance guarantees

2) Why should you pay for it? If you are supposed to pay then cant you simply refuse to pay for it? Does VW say that they will let the Pollution Under Control hounds on you for suspected higher polluting emissions?
1. Not sure about how it works across the globe
2. The pay part is for un-doing the changes that they make. This isn't a sure shot fix but the tune makes the car driveable to some extent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks