Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2016, 10:29   #106
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Should all the Small shops which gave PUC compliance certificates to VW vehicles after testing on the road also not be penalized?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
VW Cars' Emission Levels 9 Times More Than the Limit, Says Anant Geete
Interestingly, the German carmaker continues to maintain that its cars in India have not been fitted with any defeat device since they comply with BS IV emission norms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Also there is a massive recall for airbags in the US. Takata Air bags.
I am sure this should be coming down across all cars manufactured across different countries by VW.
VW Jetta - 2010 to 2015 appears to be affected
Folks, does it come as a surprise that even after a week's ruling of ARAI against Volkswagen's emissions, except for a very few motoring / automotive sites that promptly updated this news, I haven't come across this in any of the media sites or leading dailies?

Is that some sort of an indication that "all isn't well"!!?
Old 14th March 2016, 19:38   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen will issue a voluntary recall for its diesel cars in India even though the current emission is within the Indian norms.
Likely time frame is May-June 2016 .
Most cars it will be a software update while in the others the'a small plastic tube that goes into the air intake to straighten the air intake of the engine.'
The recall will be for its cars manufactured between 2008 and November 2015, equipped with the EA 189 diesel engine.

Quote:
We will start contacting each customer individually once the software is available and certified by the Indian authorities, especially the ARAI. We told the ministry and ARAI in December that we are compliant to Bharat Stage IV emission regulations and that is our stand.
Quote:
We want everyone in India to have an engine -- even though the emission norms are lower – with the latest state-of-the-art engine management software like anywhere else in the world where it might matter.
We are preparing our network to do the recall in a seamless manner to make it convenient for our customers. We will put up additional capacity in the workshops and work long hours
http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report...-mayer-2189111

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th March 2016 at 19:41.
Old 27th May 2016, 12:44   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

VW's President and Managing Director Andreas Lauermann announced that the first phase of recalls of it's cars affected by the emission scandal in India will start from July 2016 onwards.

This will start with Volkswagen cars having the bigger 2.0L engines first, with the recalls for cars fitted with 1.6L & 1.5L engines coming a bit later in a step-by-step manner (possibly by October 2016).

He also clarified that the ARAI hasn't shared any reports of the on-road testing of their cars with the company yet.

According to him:

Quote:
"We have done an agreement with the ARAI and the government here. We are waiting for an approval from them before starting with the recall for latest technology updates, which is underway in Europe already. The first phase of recall (units with two litre engines) will start in July this year. The recall for cars fitted with 1.6 and 1.5 litre engines will begin a bit later and go step-wise by October.

It will change a little bit of the working modes and the test tables working in it and adjust it to the new testing level. Nothing else more, really. We have to be clear that it is fulfilling all the requirements in the future as it has done before. In the field, there are no complaints of fuel consumption or CO2 or other things.

The agency has done some on-road testing in a way, we don't know. They made some report, which again, we have not seen. We have done some testing under ARAI observation and we have not found anything like this."
ET

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th May 2016 at 12:45.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 09:49   #109
BHPian

There is a front page article on Times of India, Pune, on VW recalling 3.2 lakh cars starting in July to fix the emission software.
Also involves big numbers of Skoda and Audi Cars,
Old 7th June 2016, 22:45   #110
BHPian

My Jetta is nearing 3 years now and is affected by this. Hopefully whatever they do to fix it doesn't affect its smooth functioning.
Old 7th June 2016, 22:47   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
My Jetta is nearing 3 years now and is affected by this. Hopefully whatever they do to fix it doesn't affect its smooth functioning.
Probably just a lower power output, I am not going to send my car to the service centre for this, Even kirrus posted on their facebook page about how the performance would change if we send the car to the service centre for this.
Old 7th June 2016, 22:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Probably just a lower power output, I am not going to send my car to the service centre for this, Even kirrus posted on their facebook page about how the performance would change if we send the car to the service centre for this.
Won't they just make the change anyway when you send the car for its annual service? Mine's due in July in any case.
Old 7th June 2016, 22:53   #113
Senior - BHPian

When you are out of warranty you can get annual service done at other shops and clearly avoid these mods

Newer vehicles just work with your SA to avoid updating the software as a request
Old 7th June 2016, 22:55   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Won't they just make the change anyway when you send the car for its annual service? Mine's due in July in any case.
They will do it on their own, Since till we don't send in our car, Their database would still show our car as pending, Got this information via my service advisor whom i made a great rapport who also assured me of not flashing my car with the update anytime i send the car to the service centre.
Old 8th June 2016, 09:37   #115
BHPian

LATEST UPDATE - I read VW India is VOLUNTARILY recalling 1.9 lacs cars for software update after "Dieselgate scandal" - it will start from July 2016. Still there is no more information available right now like which cars are affected, how much time it will take to update the faulty software etc. They will continue this recall for almost 10 months, starting from July.

According to company statement they came out clean from the charges faced in India. They are giving these updates as company gesture to it's customers in India.

Source - VW Recalls 1.9 lac cars starting from July
Old 8th June 2016, 18:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
LATEST UPDATE - I read VW India is VOLUNTARILY recalling 1.9 lacs cars for software update after "Dieselgate scandal" - it will start from July 2016. Still there is no more information available right now like which cars are affected, how much time it will take to update the faulty software etc. They will continue this recall for almost 10 months, starting from July.

According to company statement they came out clean from the charges faced in India. They are giving these updates as company gesture to it's customers in India.

Source - VW Recalls 1.9 lac cars starting from July
Yes the recall starts from July 16th, Was told by my service advisor, Who has too advised me not to opt for it at first, He has told me he would revert to me as he gets more information about the software update.
Old 20th June 2016, 13:56   #117
BHPian

I do believe that all owners affected should categorically ask VW as to what parameters (engine power, torque, emissions, etc) will change after the software/hardware tweak.

Imagine paying for a 170 BHP/350 NM car, which is later potentially downgraded due to VW's fault :(
Old 20th June 2016, 22:46   #118
BHPian

Tanveer I think that during the service they connect their laptop and run a diagnostic also updating the car software with any update patches , during that time the update will happen automatically, surely vw should give a clear picture to all recall vehicle owners what the earlier vs software updated performance of the car will be in terms of engine accelerations for different speed ranges and gears for the manual gearbox vehicles before and after the update , also kmpl , top speed , power and torque curves , that will instill confidence in customers to come in for the update
Old 21st June 2016, 01:30   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Tanveer I think that during the service they connect their laptop and run a diagnostic also updating the car software with any update patches , during that time the update will happen automatically, surely vw should give a clear picture to all recall vehicle owners what the earlier vs software updated performance of the car will be in terms of engine accelerations for different speed ranges and gears for the manual gearbox vehicles before and after the update , also kmpl , top speed , power and torque curves , that will instill confidence in customers to come in for the update
Yes, Every time a car is sent to the service centre its scanned, I have already confirmed it with a friendly chap i have a rapport with at the service centre who always handles my car, He confirmed me saying the drivability would be affected a bit and anytime the car is sent to the service centre they will update it for you even if you send your car for a normal servicing, Thankfully i have asked him to make sure they never do it to my car.
Old 21st June 2016, 06:06   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Thankfully i have asked him to make sure they never do it to my car.
Let them do it to your car too. After all, we all (including you and your family) breathe the same polluted air. If you want more power, get a performance air filter or a cold air intake.

Most Viewed