Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 07:48   #121
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Any of the mk6 Jetta owners who have gone through the software update by VAG care to share their experience?
I have received a call too from the service centre,but have to send the car yet.
Old 21st June 2016, 15:53   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Let them do it to your car too. After all, we all (including you and your family) breathe the same polluted air. If you want more power, get a performance air filter or a cold air intake.
Would have done it with eyes closed if our government was actually taking a initiative about this including every car, Truck on the road, For instance, Its a common sight to see super old car's and trucks emitting black/grey smoke that too a lot because of which car's behind get blinded, People standing on the road have to suffer when their eyes start burning instantly etc, Atleast that doesn't happen with VW's, As a customer too i had paid for the car looking at the power output figure, It becomes unfair for a customer to pay 2 million expecting his car to perform like it was shown before paying for it, Its VW's Mistake totally, But i don't think the customer should pay for their sin.

I will add a CAI and a remap over the 140Hp only, Thats the only way i would feel the difference.
Old 22nd June 2016, 16:26   #123
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Would have done it with eyes closed if our government was actually taking a initiative about this including every car, Truck on the road, For instance, Its a common sight to see super old car's and trucks emitting black/grey smoke that too a lot because of which car's behind get blinded, People standing on the road have to suffer when their eyes start burning instantly etc, Atleast that doesn't happen with VW's, As a customer too i had paid for the car looking at the power output figure, It becomes unfair for a customer to pay 2 million expecting his car to perform like it was shown before paying for it, Its VW's Mistake totally, But i don't think the customer should pay for their sin.

I will add a CAI and a remap over the 140Hp only, Thats the only way i would feel the difference.

Every truck on road does not come with falsified emission figures. Neither do they emit 9 times the amount of smoke allowed. Post #98

"I had paid for the car looking at the power output figure"

If you are friends with a group of people, and they go on a rampage, you are automatically included in the offenders even if you just stood there and did absolutely nothing. Section 149 IPC.

Also I do find it absolutely shocking that on this forum if you claim that you did, say 150 km/hr on the expressway, you get an infraction. But a person here says that he will continue to drive a car which violates the emission norms, and has no action taken against him.
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:15   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Also I do find it absolutely shocking that on this forum if you claim that you did, say 150 km/hr on the expressway, you get an infraction. But a person here says that he will continue to drive a car which violates the emission norms, and has no action taken against him.
If it makes you feel any better, Probably by the time my car is recalled i would have sold my car, I am guessing you haven't spent 2 million on a VW car and you did not expect the car to perform as it was supposed to, For a person who has spent that amount of money expects the car should function the way it was sold when it was bought, Try and understand the frustration of a customer!

Talking about driving at 150 kph and arguing about emission norms is a tad different isn't it? Did i do something in the car on my own for it to violate the emission norms? Who would have known if VW wouldn't have accepted it on their own? VW has done it and i am sure the government will make them compensate for it.

I dont intend to get down into detail or argue further regarding the same, As far as the car is mine i think i should be the one taking a call when the recall happens, Rather than being forced to do so.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 22nd June 2016 at 18:21.
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, its the govts job to stop all the vehicles (Cars, untested govt buses, the trucks )that violates the emission norms. And for example, my car is out of warranty and i dont service it in VW. I service my own car and i will continue to drive. And i am ready for buy back of my car to fix the emission issue and pay me the dep value which is fine for me as a front money to get their clean car.

And i do understand your frustration for getting infraction. Its an online forum full of fake bullies and fake show of power, might and godlyness. In such a forum getting offended for an infraction should not have this kind of output.

And even if lets say the mods decide to give infraction, how does it help. In reality if a consumer like us say we are ready for buy back but not ready to take the care back to the garage, let the govt decide what exactly they will do with VW Cars. I need compensation for reducing my cars performance which was a selling factor when i got it. Give me infractions, but also some compensation to get my car cleaned up with the so called fix. Just saying
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And even if lets say the mods decide to give infraction, how does it help. In reality if a consumer like us say we are ready for buy back but not ready to take the care back to the garage, let the govt decide what exactly they will do with VW Cars. I need compensation for reducing my cars performance which was a selling factor when i got it. Give me infractions, but also some compensation to get my car cleaned up with the so called fix. Just saying
I really don't think we are ever going to get any sort of compensation, Sure if VW does provide any along with recall it would be a good thing, Till then its time to decide from whom should i get my car remapped, Guessing remapping car is illegal too! But well..
Old 29th June 2016, 18:13   #127
BANNED

I visited JMD Skoda over a weekend and SA confirmed that Skoda did the training workshop on ECU upgrade.

And he confirmed that update will be done in phases and will start from Mid July.
Old 29th June 2016, 19:34   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
I visited JMD Skoda over a weekend and SA confirmed that Skoda did the training workshop on ECU upgrade.

And he confirmed that update will be done in phases and will start from Mid July.
July 16th is the exact planned date to start the process, On the other hand,

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...-idUSKCN0ZD2S5

VW has even planned to compensate the customers from 5000 $ to 15,000$ Depending on the car, Also they have planned of providing vouchers for free servicing, I doubt any of those will be done for the Indian customers though.
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:22   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen India to recall diesel cars from September

Quote:
The recall was expected to begin in the first quarter of calendar 2016, it will now be a long-drawn process and would take place as and when approvals are received from the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI).
It will span not only across Volkswagen vehicles but also Skoda and Audi.

So far, the company plans technical updates on 1.9 Volkswagen cars, 88,700 Skoda and 36,500 Audi cars but the final number of updates could slightly be higher

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd September 2016 at 21:23.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 13:50   #130
Senior - BHPian

If this is going to be a software fix, will it not impact the performance of car - which was the real culprit of the emission fiasco across the US and EU.

- Will VW disclose revised BHP / Torque numbers after the fix?
- What will happen to the cars which are not brought to the dealers for carrying out this update? or will it be a part of service schedule? there will still be a reasonable number of cars which are out of warranty and are managed by FNGs
- Who will validate that the fix is working and acceptable? Who will be penalized in case the cars are caught polluting after the fix?
Old 8th September 2016, 12:06   #131
BANNED

Called up my SA 2 weeks back and he was unaware of this, He told they were trained on the ECU corrections but dates are not certain as yet.

Let me know if you anyone has got a call from ASS for corrections.
Old 8th September 2016, 16:33   #132
BHPian

I went for my 30K service two days ago and specifically asked about the re-programming. They said it has not started yet and that they wouldn't be doing any such thing to my car.

Cheers
Old 19th September 2016, 22:39   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Volkswagen Group is finally gearing up to recall its cars in India, one year after the NOx (nitrogen oxide) emissions scandal broke worldwide, and nine months after the recall was announced in India.

The recall is likely to commence in a phased manner by end-September with the previous-generation Skoda Superb. The engine in question is the 2.0-litre EA 189 common-rail diesel, which was at the centre of the global scandal.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ll-403032.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2016 at 08:46. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 16:51   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen India begins dieselgate recall with last gen Skoda Superb.

Quote:
The Volkswagen Group in India will begin the first phase of its recall on diesel vehicles, nine months after the initial announcement. The first car to be recalled is the older generation Skoda Superb which was discontinued in 2015, running the infamous 2.0-litre EA 189 diesel engine. The Skoda Superb will only receive a software update which Volkswagen claims, won’t compromise the vehicle’s performance or safety.
Apart from the 2.0-litre EA 189 oil burner, Volkswagen Group India will also update the 1.2-litre diesel engine with the software update, while the 1.5-litre diesel will get a software and hardware update to comply with the emission norms. The hardware update includes a plastic or mesh filter placed inside the engine's air intake.

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-capture.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th September 2016 at 17:21.
Old 20th September 2016, 19:28   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The Autocar article mentions "Indian car owners could experience a drop in power and fuel economy, which is theoretically a trade-off for correctly complying with emission norms."
So does that mean they can get away with cheating the customers just by providing a half-baked solution? One of the primary reasons I bought my Vento 1.6 was for the performance and if that gets taken away due to negligence of the company, shouldn't I be compensated for it? I read somewhere that VW is offering cash to it's customers in US (after fixing the car that is) and even buying them back though I'm not sure if its true.

Triumph motorcycles was in a (kind of) similar situation where they had been selling detuned Street Triples in India but I think they got away with it by offering some free accessories to customers.

I think us customers should jointly sue the company for the fraud they have committed. Any lawyers in the forum who could help with this?

Most Viewed