Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 12:08   #151
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can you give more insights about the performance of the car during the trip? How does it get to highway speeds? Has the pace gone down a bit?
Sorry, I'm just too curious to know.
Absolutely nothing to worry! The car behaved fine in terms of ride and handling, there was no drop in total power.No doubt the car is a performer on highways as usual. Usually my car touches a speed of 120 KM/hr at 2750-2800 rpm and i was able to achieve the same post update also - no changes there.

Only the power delivery during turbo kick in is comparatively linear when compared to the sudden surge before the update. Not sure if i am acting paranoid here, this is my own observation and i will be more than happy if i am wrong(on linear power delivery) in my observations

Just to make it clear the power delivery is far far better than the equivalent Japanese counterparts.

I guess the linear delivery may be because of the air control value(piece of hardware like a mesh) which streamlines the supply of oxygen to engine instead of having an abundant uncontrolled supply of oxygen pre update.

Last edited by anandharamanp : 31st October 2016 at 12:25. Reason: Providing additional points which i missed to mention
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 12:19   #152
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Has any 1.6 TDI owners got the emission fix done? What is the feedback? I am eager to know as i have a scheduled service end of the month
Old 1st November 2016, 16:14   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
I went in to get the strud mounting replaced under warranty and my ASS from Kun VW madras updated the Emission fix software without any information to me. I was completely upset as this software update happened during a retaliation event on me by the dealer only for the reason that i wrote to VW customer care regarding the replacement of worn out brake rotor at 11,100 kms(its a very long story and i will share with you all in detail what actually happened later). When questioned on why did not they inform me before doing the emission software update, the manager said it is mandatory and i cannot avoid it - when i told him they cannot do this without my consent, he was kind of not listening

Following are my observations, on Emission Software Update.
1) Driveability has improved especially at first gear - before update the torque was very low in 1st gear in such a way that i could not move the vehicle forward in bumper to bumper traffic and hence i will engage second gear immediately, to and fro.This changed after the the software update and now i can pull the vehicle in first gear.

2) Fuel Economy has increased marginally - around 1-2 kms/L both in city and on highways.

3) I missed the sudden surge(that we all have enjoyed so far with a grin on our face) when Turbo kicks in at around 1900-2000rpm but the pull is definitely not bad. Turbo kick in this update is tuned to deliver linear power when compared to the sudden surge earlier (i could attribute this to the air flow value which is installed, which moderates the flow of air into the engine for appropriate combustion) I could feel that the engine is gasping for more air when you push the vehicle hard on the highway.
Any idea if we could give it a try by removing the air control value - experts here - please share your thoughts.

4) increase in engine noise especially when i release clutch in low gears - there is a kar kar tractor noise audible in the cabin which was definitely not present for the past 10 months (since the purchase), when i asked the ASS to check this, they said that it is due to the update and it will get settled later automatically, but i don't think so until they do something.

Overall nothing to bother as of now but we will have to wait and see for the Long term effects on what this emission control update is going to do to our vehicles engines durability.
All of the points mentioned by Anand is true. I haven't experienced that much of an engine note change. I too went on a highway run total 500 kms. Well power loss is not there, it got into triple digits very easily, the mid range is still strong. Didn't get enough space to punch it fully but it's good at high speeds.
The surprise was the economy though. It had improved to a huge margin. I got 18.9km/l including highway and city.
Next week a Chennai trip is planned last time before the software recall I managed to reach some good speeds with 4 people on board and luggage. Will surely update if that's being affected.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st November 2016 at 16:40. Reason: Edited as per Rule#11
RevJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 18:59   #154
BHPian

While having the ABS Sensor of my Passat replaced, I checked with the Service Manager of VW Downtown about the status of the recall.

He informed me that they have started with the 1.5 & 1.6 TDi engines (Polo & Vento) and the 2.0 TDi engines (Jetta & Passat) will be recalled later.

He assured me that there is no change in performance of the car (he was referring to the Passat). Glad to know that the software upgrade to the 1.5/1.6 TDi engines has resulted in very minor changes to the driveability.
Old 1st November 2016, 19:06   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
Usually my car touches a speed of 120 KM/hr at 2750-2800 rpm and i was able to achieve the same post update also - no changes there.
As far as I know there will be no change in RPM in a particular gear at a particular speed until someone opens up the gearbox and alters the gear ratios.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 19:33   #156
Senior - BHPian

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/vol...emissions-fix/

Sorry to break some bad news. There seems to be some bugs with the 2.0 TDI updates. I guess owners should avoid the update till a suitable solution has been reached.
Edit: Checkout the comments at the end of the article. A lot of people seem to be facing similar issues.

Last edited by Turbohead : 1st November 2016 at 19:38.
Old 1st November 2016, 20:30   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to break some bad news. There seems to be some bugs with the 2.0 TDI updates. I guess owners should avoid the update till a suitable solution has been reached.
Edit: Checkout the comments at the end of the article. A lot of people seem to be facing similar issues.
Well this is probably why they have not yet started with the updates for the 2.0 TDI engine.
Old 1st November 2016, 21:09   #158
BHPian

Quote:

As mentioned in the article, the moment i drove the vehicle post update i also felt that idling speed seemed faster:(
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:57   #159
Senior - BHPian

I have spoken to my VW Service Advisor about the effects this update has on the car. According to him, there are no effects in performance what so ever. However, when I informed him about a possible knocking from the engine; he said that they had one case of a Vento having this issue and that was because the car did not go through the proper 'adaptation test drive'.

So basically after the engine update, the car does knock and needs to be driven a couple of kilometers by the technician in a particular manner which is called the 'adaptation test drive'. Once done correctly, the knocking is barely heard. It vanishes in time.
Old 6th November 2016, 12:28   #160
RMB
BHPian

My car Rapid 1.5 MT also had the software update done yesterady. I was assured no change would be there due to it. But as pointed out there small amount of knocking heard in first and second gear. Not very sure of the power delivery though as I have not driven it much after the update. Will update after a long drive. They are providing a cleaning kit as a good will gesture.

The service advicer told they have done the update on close to 500 vehicles till now and have not received any complaint till now. He also told if I am not ok with software update being done, I can opt out of it by following some procedure. May we'll have to sign some documents. My advice to everyone is to wait a bit longer to get clear picture before opting for update.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:12   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Well this is probably why they have not yet started with the updates for the 2.0 TDI engine.
well, yesterday evening i received below message. Apparently 2.0 TDI on jetta is now being called for software update. Mine is Nov 2012 manufactured Jetta. I am not sure what compromises this software update will do to my car and hence i am just gonna hold the decision to go for it. I am going to run out of warranty in march and finally looking at a chance to remap to higher tune and then this thing just came up. Rattle at cold engine will be the last thing i would want to hear in my jetta.

Can someone from Mod's team take up this thing to explain the technicality of how this update can affect the performance?
Attached Thumbnails
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-capture.jpg  

Old 18th November 2016, 12:04   #162
BHPian

Had received a call from the Rajaji Nagar VW ASS about the "Software Update Camp" for my Jetta few days back and they gave me an appointment for tomorrow 8AM as per my agreed time. I also have my 3rd service due which I will get getting done along. Anything I need to keep in mind before going for it? Anyone got it done already?

Since this will be my first interaction with VW ASS, is Rajaji Nagar VW a good one to start with?
Old 18th November 2016, 12:40   #163
BHPian

Has anyone done the update on the 1.6 TDI. I have my 2nd year service coming up next week and is in 2 minds whether i should be doing this update or not.
Old 18th November 2016, 12:55   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Has anyone done the update on the 1.6 TDI. I have my 2nd year service coming up next week and is in 2 minds whether i should be doing this update or not.
Mohan, the 1.6 TDIs are only getting a flow transformer installed, isn't it? Is there an ECU update as well?
Old 18th November 2016, 13:18   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Mohan, the 1.6 TDIs are only getting a flow transformer installed, isn't it? Is there an ECU update as well?
No, my understanding is that the 1.6 will get a flow transformer as well as ECU update while the 2.0 will only have an ECU update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks