Team-BHP - Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/170963-official-volkswagen-recalls-3-24-lakh-cars-india-over-emissions-fraud.html)

VW issues the recall on EA189 Diesel engines in the Indian market,

These engines can be found in VW Polo, Vento, Skoda Rapid, Jetta, Passat, Audi A3, etc.

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-capture.jpg
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-1.jpg
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-2.jpg

Good to hear the official statement and that too along the timelines of the global remediation plan. I just hope they don't reduce the hp/tq numbers with this change.

The solution presented to the EU looks quite simple; for the 2.0 TDi engines there will be only a software tweak whereas for the 1.5 & 1.6 TDi engines they have to insert a small part in the inlet to the engine and carry out a software tweak.

VW in the US has offered USD 1,000/- to each customer in way of freebies/rebates. Will VW India do the same ??

Will it be mandatory ? Are they going to issue some kind of a certificate for VW vehicles which has to be produced when asked?

Not sure what will this do to the performance of the cars and they should mention that in addition to road worthiness etc.

Some day or the other, this was bound to happen. As long as the corrections are concerned, i think the VW India group will definitely call back the affected vehicles. It depends upon the owners, and their mentality whether to get the fault rectified. In some families, that will be the only car, and then it becomes difficult to commute for the family members. This and so many other reasons will come into the picture, mere negligence towards the environment is also one of them, when considering the call back on such a large scale. I believe prompt service and not delaying the rectification process is the key to VW's future in india, currently.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpunwani (Post 3860609)
VW in the US has offered USD 1,000/- to each customer in way of freebies/rebates. Will VW India do the same ??

VW refuses compensation for European owners of rigged diesels, so I guess here too it to be similar.

Quote:

In Europe, the automaker will tailor a package of measures to ensure that owners of cars are inconvenienced as little as possible when their vehicles are recalled for fixes to make them compliant with type approval regulations
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...rigged-diesels

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpunwani (Post 3860609)
The solution presented to the EU looks quite simple; for the 2.0 TDi engines there will be only a software tweak whereas for the 1.5 & 1.6 TDi engines they have to insert a small part in the inlet to the engine and carry out a software tweak.

I believe it's the exact same correction here.

I would love to drive, time & dyno a Jetta 2.0 TDI before & after the recall corrections. There is no way it's going to drive the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allien936 (Post 3860626)
It depends upon the owners, and their mentality whether to get the fault rectified.

I'll be surprised if even 1/3rd of VWs on our roads get their emissions corrected. Here are some details from the last scam (Chevrolet Tavera). The hit rate then was <20%:

Quote:

In a nation-wide recall campaign by General Motors (GM) that began in December, Nikhil Automobiles has fared miserably. In the last four months, the workshop has serviced a paltry 114 vehicles (As of 3 April). More than 400 calls have already been made, but vehicle owners are simply not interested. The same story is playing out in the rest of the country. GM India claims that it has serviced close to 21,000 vehicles across 277 authorized service outlets in the country. That’s 75 vehicles per outlet. Over a period of four months or 121 days. That’s not even one vehicle a day.

This is a problem for a car maker that’s involved in one of the largest recalls in the Indian automobile industry—114,000 vehicles to be exact. In July, the company recalled these vehicles to address emissions and specification issues, after it was pulled up by the government for fudging emissions data on vehicles sold in the country during 2005-2013.
Source

Quote:

They're doing it in the USA because that's the biggest car market in the world and VW has always been weak out there. Europe, they won't because they are already strong. India = no such incentive as their sales are too little for VW HQ to be bothered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3860684)
I believe it's the exact same correction here.

I would love to drive, time & dyno a Jetta 2.0 TDI before & after the recall corrections. There is no way it's going to drive the same.

I'll be surprised if even 1/3rd of VWs on our roads get their emissions corrected. Here are some details from the last scam (Chevrolet Tavera). The hit rate then was <20%:

They're doing it in the USA because that's the biggest car market in the world and VW has always been weak out there. Europe, they won't because they are already strong. India = no such incentive as their sales are too little for VW HQ to be bothered.

Unless either VW certifies there is no change in HP/Torque numbers or it pays me compensation - no way i will the engine touched. As far as emissions is concerned - if i am able to get the govt mandated PUC certificate - whats the issue ?

I agree with gto , in fact Volkswagen should first demonstrate this to all affected customers to convince them that the power , torque and fuel economy graphs measured before and after the sofware update measured on a 4 wheel dyno ( where the car runs in actual road condition ) using the respective vehicle model from a customer , is the same , if not better. This is what everyone is apprehensive about and it should be done with some level of independent verification of the authenticity of what they have demonstrated .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 3860706)
Unless either VW certifies there is no change in HP/Torque numbers or it pays me compensation - no way i will the engine touched. As far as emissions is concerned - if i am able to get the govt mandated PUC certificate - whats the issue ?

Do a dyno and simultaneously get the PUC done. If your car makes it through, no issues. :D

It sounds quite difficult to believe that a software upgrade itself will take care of the problem in the bigger engines.

It also sounds hard to believe that there shall be no drop in performance and fuel mileage. If this was the case, then why have the defeat device at all.

There must be some penalty/ catch to it.

Related link to SIAM's recall code: http://www.siamonline.in/Voluntary-C...cle-Recall.PDF

I assume the ARAI check is against the BS III norms? If so interesting and disappointing to see that VW does not meet even these BS III norms which is still the standard for most of the country. For the Top 18 cities as I understand it is BS IV.

As per what I read online, the BS III standard is somewhat equivalent to what Europe had ~10 years back. The NOX limit in India for BS III is 0.5 g/km (0.18 g/km in top 14 cities that adopt BS-IV norms).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3860684)

Yes i am sure its going to be a map update. I have 1.6 vento maps, i will post the changes. Vw cars already run on high turbo boosts. Lets see what these changes are

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 3860706)

Its not about the HP or Torque nos. Its about how the power delivery is. What the torque curve is. The emissions are more in the smoke map table where the values are high and corresponding boost is not equivalent for the lambda to pick up good oxygen levels.
If they fiddle with that i bet the fun to drive factor will surely be reduced.