Team-BHP - Why do some cars have a single reversing light???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why do some cars have a single reversing light??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17112-why-do-some-cars-have-single-reversing-light-2.html)

Honestly, I dont see what the fuss is abt....

So what if there is only one reversing light ?? What difference does it make ??

A reversing light is only to warn vehicles behind you that you are reversing..... Doent one light to the job as well as 2 ??

Quote:

When one turns On the Rear Fog lamp, only the Right side rear light turns on. This is the part on the inner sides of the rear lamps (towards the No. plate).
Thats how the rear fog lamp is supposed to be. Ditto in the C220.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO

how come?? I am wondering!! In the Optra there are two reversing lights and two rear fog lamps, all independent of each other!

The good ole Maruti Van a.k.a Omni always had only one reversing light and did the job pretty well too..!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilb2008

A reversing light is only to warn vehicles behind you that you are reversing..... Doent one light to the job as well as 2 ??

Maybe reverse lights will be useful to warn vehicles behind you, but they are absolutely essential for the driver to see behind when reversing at night in pitch dark conditions. Hence two lights are better than one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
Maybe reverse lights will be useful to warn vehicles behind you, but they are absolutely essential for the driver to see behind when reversing at night in pitch dark conditions. Hence two lights are better than one.

Heh! rks, dude... the illumination from those rear lights is not so great either that they will help your rear visibility much. In fact, even one light does the job as well. As someone said Omnis came with one reverse light... However the reason people get bugged with the one light theory as seen in regular cars is because it looks highly assymetric. Makes some people to assume that one of your bulbs has gone kaput and you are lazy, miserly, careless or all of them to not have replaced it yet. It worked with Omnis because the one light was symmetrically put in the middle of the rear bumper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilb2008

As rightly pointed out by rks, the reverse light is also meant to illuminate the area behind the car so that the driver can see things behind and avoid hitting them. That's why, the reverse light is always plain and not coloured. Also, for the same reason, the bulb used is always a high wattage bulb (usually 21 watt).

In my opinion, there should always be two reverse lights and the MV Rules must be amended accordingly. Unfortunately, in this age of value engineering, manufacturers just want to meet (rather than surpass) the bare minimum standard prescribed by law.

Cheers!

What did these designers, engineers and lawmakers do when they were doing their professional courses in college? Don't they understand symmetry? I had enough of this cost cutting blah blah done by the manufacturers.... come on even left hand side mirrors are a must. In a country where almost all two wheelers except a few mopeds have mirrors on both sides...why can't B-seg and C-seg cars have them??

I found out that my car had the same problem in exactly the same way when someone told me that one of the reverse lights has gone kaput.

Infact today my car went to service and having read here that just putting in a bulb will solve it I asked the guy if that can be done. His response? : wiring has to be redone etc. :-s

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection
As rightly pointed out by rks, the reverse light is also meant to illuminate the area behind the car so that the driver can see things behind and avoid hitting them. That's why, the reverse light is always plain and not coloured. Also, for the same reason, the bulb used is always a high wattage bulb (usually 21 watt).

I don't know about you, but I can never see anything behind the car properly with the reverse light. I would always have some one stand behind the car and give me directions if I am ever in that situation. Even the rearview camera images are not clear enough for confidently reversing if its very dark outside. That's where one needs the parking sensors!

agree: with you mag , but the tata guys dont even know why there is single reversing light . they were unable to answer my query . they should explain the users abt this feature atleast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
LHS ORVM costs you Rs 1200 or so that is saving for them.

Indica LHS ORVM is only Rs. 650.

errm kph, Indica LHS ORVM (from a dealer) costs Rs1250.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO

That is how it is even in the Octavia... The right side tail light glows brighter....

Cheers..

Some of you think the reverse lights dont make much of a difference. Could be that you guys have a heavily tinted rear windscreen. My car's reverse lights are bright and they do make a difference while reversing in the dark.

Quote:

Ditto for the Astra too.