Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2006, 12:54   #31
rks
BANNED

I am also very surprised that many people find the reverse lights to be of no use for reversing in pitch dark conditions. I do that every night after returning home from work, often past midnight. The lights in my basement parking slot have all failed and there is no way I would be able to reverse into it without the reverse lights.
Old 16th October 2006, 17:34   #32
BHPian

To me it seems , its a way the AMerican or the European car manufactures makes it for ther market. But when the same companies come to our home country and try and to a TRIAL AND ERROR METHOD..
Cerain American cars have RED indicator lamps, lucky thats not been tested in our country...
Old 16th October 2006, 21:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a matiz with with same thing i was shocked to see it. i am thinkin g that it must be from the first lot because i have never ever seen a matiz with a rear fog lamp

and does the NHC have rear for lamps?????
Old 29th June 2007, 20:18   #34
BHPian

The new accord has implemented this functionality differently. The reverse lamp is in the boot left to the number place which is small and to the right of the number plate there is a fog lamp which is slightly bigger than the reverse lamp. Doesn't look awkward.
Old 29th June 2007, 22:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I am also very surprised that many people find the reverse lights to be of no use for reversing in pitch dark conditions. I do that every night after returning home from work, often past midnight. The lights in my basement parking slot have all failed and there is no way I would be able to reverse into it without the reverse lights.
I too find reverse lights very very useful. However, i have to disagree that one bulb is not sufficient for reverse light. My Indica Turbo has a reverse light on the rear passenger side and i use it when parking everyday. Now, since the parking is most likely to be done on the left side of the road, all i need is light on the left side + rear view mirror to back up.
Also note that the light is good enough for the right side too, but just that i have not found much use for the right side!!
Old 30th June 2007, 00:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

The first Ikons had a single reverse light and now the Logan has only one. Cost cutting I suppose, but how much more would a single light cost. I guess its several small deletions like this which eventually in totallity lead to cost cutting.
Old 30th June 2007, 01:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The good ole Maruti Van a.k.a Omni always had only one reversing light and did the job pretty well too..!!
then why buy SAFARI lol even good old OMNI VAN can take you places. J/K

But there should be 2 lights. Its not about 1 light does the work but ppl may think "Uski ek back light nahin jalti fudu hai theek nahin karwayi"
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I upgrade the lamps in a Swift VDI?

They don't actually illuminate anything (waste of time, really) behind the car --- which is a pain when reversing in the dark.

Can I put higher wattage, or a different type of bulb? Or will it start melting cables and stuff...
Old 4th July 2007, 14:59   #39
BHPian

Even my Indica has a single lamp. During one of the servicing I got it "fixed" and for some days both the lamps used to be ON when reversing. Now only the left side turns ON. Maybe they put in a normal bulb in there which got fused due to higher current and the bulb could not take its (considering its for fog lamps). Could this have happened??
BTW, the newer Maruti Omnis do have dual lights in the rear bumper if you notice.
Old 4th July 2007, 17:09   #40
BHPian

I think there is a single reverse light on the Logan too. As it has been built to its price. maybe cost saving is the main motive.
Old 4th July 2007, 17:14   #41
BHPian

The NHC Vtec also has only one reverse light on the left of the number plate.
The reverse light plastic cover transparent however the cover for the light on the right is red.. which makes it a fog lamp.
I was also wondering about this single reverse light until I came across this thread.
Old 4th July 2007, 17:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yes , It is for cost saving,primarily. and the logic is--
RHD's have it on left and LHD's have it on right, to see the kerb better, as also the fog light is for the car behind so RHD's have it on right and LHD's have it on left, to assist the rear car in spotting, while overtaking I guess.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Even new cars like SX4 and Logan have only one reverse light---funny to cut costs and take customers for a ride.
Old 3rd August 2007, 18:11   #44
Team-BHP Support

Nissan Teana has one reversing light
Old 3rd August 2007, 18:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

It's simply because car manufacturers in India simply aren't bothered to modify even electrics/bulbs from the EU/US regulations unless really forced to. They typically modify only the following:

1. Detune the engine to cater for our mania with FE and suit our fuel quality;
2. Under-tyre most cars to rank unsafe levels. e.g. the Verna CRDI, Swift VDI/LDI and the City VTEC;
3. Remove most safety features in the guise of cost-cutting e.g. ABS, TCS and airbags

As for the reversing lights, (for example) the UK Highway Code mandates that all modern cars require a at least one rear fog lamp (typically a intense red bulb of more than 21w i.e. as bright as a double filament brake bulb) which is recommended for use when conditions are below-average etc. (And believe me, anyone who has driven on the M40, M25 etc in usual Brit weather will swear by them!)

IMHO, changing to double bright reversing lights would really suit our conditions because:

1. Uneducated drivers misuse the fog lamp by switching it on (knowingly or unknowingly) in normal weather or in the city - it's very bright and irritating for the following driver); In the UK, the police have the discretion to fine you if you keep these lights on in good condition and specially in the cities.

2. Bright reversing lights are a real boon in India due to the myriad obstacles we face when backing up. Only a single light is a recipe for disaster in say our crowded and unplanned underground garages or when backing up in a unlit street with drains, high kerbs etc etc.

Shame on the manufacturers I say!

Itwasntme

Most Viewed