Team-BHP - Why do some cars have a single reversing light???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why do some cars have a single reversing light??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17112-why-do-some-cars-have-single-reversing-light-4.html)

What about the Mini Chevy a.k.a. the SPARK? It too has only one:confused:

Well, I can accept cost cutting as the reason for not putting bulbs in Indica and the Alto etc., But in cars like the Teana, Accord??? there must be some reason beyond cost cutting.

How about safety? Would it be easy to differentiate reverse from brakelights if it is one in number? I am not sure, I am just thinking aloud, 'cos I can't accept cost cutting as the sole reason for all cars from Indica to Teana/Accord to not have two lights.

Off late, i was wondering why some Indian cars have asymmetric tail lamps, i.e, reversing light on just one side. I have seen many cars in the past having this eg. SX4, Logan

Is it only to reduce costs? If yes, then i wonder how many bucks would a manufacturer save by just putting the reversing light on one side and a reflector on the other?

the other side is not a reflector but a rear fog lamp.

I think the space on the other side is used for a single rear fog lamp.

This way they save on a pair of lamps.

The rule in some Western countries is for cars to have at least one reversing lamp and one rear fog lamp. So manufacturers use one of the reverse lamps as their fog lamp which saves them from installing another pair of lamps.

IMO, the placing of rear lamp in Logan is not appreciable. Because if you are reversing your car in dark your rear left end will be in complete darkness. And if the fog is placed on the left rear lamp the dark side will be the drivers side which is kind of not bad at least he can take is head out and see what is going on in the rear.

I think BMW cars also have similar rear lamp placement.

The same is the story in Grande Punto & and yes on the other side there is a fog lamp. But why is that so I am not able to understand, Gurus any ideas.

I think the prime motive is to save costs.A lamp per car amounts to quite a lot in the larger scheme of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 1734209)
The rule in some Western countries is for cars to have at least one reversing lamp and one rear fog lamp.

Yes - depending on country.

For eg. i think in the USA just one rear fog-lamp is permissible, however it has to be on the driver's side of the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyAn! (Post 1734587)
...A lamp per car amounts to quite a lot in the larger scheme of things.

Similar to an olive in a first class salad/drink - if you've heard that story.

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyAn! (Post 1734587)
I think the prime motive is to save costs.A lamp per car amounts to quite a lot in the larger scheme of things.

In a car like Punto, Can we really say that they saved the cost by removing a lamp?

In its rear tail lamp cluster, there are 3 lamps on each side. 1 indicator, 1 tail lamp and 1 tail lamp/Brake light combo.
Then they have another pair on its bumper. So why coudn't they just convert that extra lamp into reverse lamps, and make the bumper lamps as just the fog lights?

I believe it would have costed them same amount.

Slightly OT but I think Rear Fog Lamps are not required in India. Especially with most of the nincompoop drivers, not knowing its relevance, put them on even on a clear night creating glare for motorists behind them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 1735054)
In a car like Punto, Can we really say that they saved the cost by removing a lamp?
Then they have another pair on its bumper. So why coudn't they just convert that extra lamp into reverse lamps, and make the bumper lamps as just the fog lights?
I believe it would have costed them same amount.

Those are not extra lamps,but reflectors.A single reverse lamp is neatly tucked in the right hand side reflector recess of the rear bumper.

Reflectors,I believe,are much cheaper than lamps!:D And so Fiat India saves a few extra bucks in the process!

I remember seeing a similar thread long back.

And yes, it's basically to save costs.
According to my 2001 copy of auto designing rules, a reversing light must comply with regulations which merely state:
Number - Not more than two
Position - no requirement
Size of illuminated area - no requirement
Colour - white
Wattage: no requirement if displaying an approved mark otherwise one lamp not to exceed 24 watts

EDIT: Found the old thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-light-4.html

Plz merge the two threads.

Well it may not be to save costs

Check this Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated."