Team-BHP - Why do some cars have a single reversing light???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why do some cars have a single reversing light??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17112-why-do-some-cars-have-single-reversing-light-5.html)

My daughter's VW Golf Edition 2.0 TDI in Melbourne has single rear fog lamp and single reversing lamp. Later, I came to know that most of the European and American cars have similar arrangement. Thank god, my Fiat Linea has twin rear fog lamps and twin reversing lamps, notwithstanding her European origin.

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

Its been a while I was wondering that why some new-gen vehicles had only one reverse light. I'v gone through the entire 5 pages of this thread and have understood that its because of -

1. Cost cutting.
2. To comply with regulations.

1. Cost cutting - This is an indigestible reason. Cost cutting in vehicles below 4L can be justified, but then in an Accord and a C class?.

2. To comply with regulations - Well, I understand that some countries do have some regulations that force manufacturers to go into a balance between cost cutting and following regulations. But does INDIA have such regulations regarding rear fog lights?.
I doubt India has any sort of 'Rear light' regulations, because some cars come with two reversing lights(no fog), some have one reversing and one fog, some have their reversing light on left where as some on right.

Now, if these 'diversified' cars were imported as it is from their respective countries, then, if the company could change the position of the steering wheel, why cant they change the position a simple light?.

I for one find TWO reverse lights really helpful. Why cant there be an uniformity in this?. Doesn't any company bother about the function over form while designing these lights in INDIA?.

Why does the location of the reversing lamp has to be on the rear bumper For eg Punto, Omni, Micra etc any impact on the rear bunpe means loss of the reversing indication. Could not the manufacturers find any better position for the lamps maybe somewhere in the rear lamp clusters.

If cost cutting was the sole reason, then replacing the reversing indication upon any damage to the rear bumper should have also been borne by the car manufacturers:Frustrati.

After an impact one is expected to repair the bumper / lights and not hope that they would not be damaged. The lights are placed where they are most visible rather than where they are least likely to be damaged as a primary criteria, though that aspect is also considered.

The rules actually madate a single white reversing light and the asymetry wrt to the other rear lights is supposed to make the fact that the car is reversing stand out. The other side position is then generally used for rear fog light - also single in number of the same pupose of it standing out.

okay now this is a of topic. but why Americans cars have RED TURNING INDICATOR instead of Orange?

Not all cars sold in the US have red rear turn indicator.
I think the red turn indicator is simply cost cutting - making a lens cover with 2 colours is just that slightly more expensive, and the regulations allow for red turn indicator.

See Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushky (Post 2051066)
okay now this is a of topic. but why Americans cars have RED TURNING INDICATOR instead of Orange?

Tushky, do you find this prevalent on the newer American cars as well?

They used to be common once upon a time, and i reckon the cars on which you would have noticed this would be the older cars. I remember Caprice Classics used to come with red turn indicators, but not anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2051122)

Short answer - Yes.
Recently drove a rented Sonata and Focus (2009 model). Red turn indicators in rear for both.

It could be value engineering to cut down on costs. Many trickles make an ocean.

I see this related to historical study reasons. If you see any American car you will find that 90% of the cars have red turn indicator (concealed in the same light as the brake lights).

You can also google it on the web:

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-PK

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2051122)

They used to be common once upon a time, and i reckon the cars on which you would have noticed this would be the older cars. I remember Caprice Classics used to come with red turn indicators, but not anymore.

YES. on many new pick up trucks like Toyota Tundra, Chevy Colorado. and even on heavy commercial vehicles too.why why why??

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushky (Post 2051177)
YES. on many new pick up trucks like Toyota Tundra, Chevy Colorado. and even on heavy commercial vehicles too.why why why??

Oh, i didnt know that. What i had observed during my days in Dubai was that earlier American cars (pure american make) had red turn indicators, but later they came with the standard orange ones.

Didnt realize they had gone back to the old ways.

Could be just a design element; to keep the cluster uniformly red.

I've noticed that whenever a single reverse lamp is used in any car, the same space in the other tail lamp cluster is used for the fog lamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 2051040)
The rules actually madate a single white reversing light and the asymetry wrt to the other rear lights is supposed to make the fact that the car is reversing stand out. The other side position is then generally used for rear fog light - also single in number of the same pupose of it standing out.

So it means that an asymmetrically placed reversing light does have a function and that is to let know of the vehicles behind?. Well, for that function does one really need 'ONE' light?. With two white lights, on both sides which is below the red park lights, one can definitely let know other vehicles that the car is reversing. This also offer's better visibility. Doesn't it?.