Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 23:49   #16

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 launched at Rs. 13.25 lakh

So finally here it comes, I agree with the previous rants about not having an auto transmission and poor A.S.S. But then, at the end of the day Safari is a legacy to drive and that feel good factor has just shifted a bit higher because of this new drivetrain.
Waiting eagerly for the Team-BHP official review.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
here is my short review
"Had a 20 kms test drive of the new 400 nm Storme. The new 6 speed gbx has good ratios , but is as notchy as the earlier ones. The pick up is very good. The toque can be felt across the revv range. However the engine noise was a bit more. May be it was due to the brand new vehicle which had done only 12 kms.
The Storme now cruises very easily at 110 kmph in the sixth gear at 2000 rpms. The torque keeps pulling the car smoothly. I bet the mileage on the highways will be better due to this.".
One thing that really scared me was the car's quick acceleration in third gear without any paddle inputs. It was like charging towards the vehicle in the front and required braking to slow it down. May be this is difference between driving a petrol hatch and diesel SUV.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Dont bang your head its already ready with a ZF six speed auto. Hold on to the horses.
Waiting to hear more details on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
One thing that really scared me was the car's quick acceleration in third gear without any paddle inputs. It was like charging towards the vehicle in the front and required braking to slow it down. May be this is difference between driving a petrol hatch and diesel SUV.
Not really. Sometimes my Dicor surges also - Tata doesn't have the smoothest of engines!

In my limited driving of the Storme, I think it is probably a bit more refined.

However, the Storme's (320nm Varicor) sounds like a sewing machine rather than an impressive engine like my Dicor 3.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Don't. wait for 6 months, with the GST coming in, the engine bedded and niggles (if any) sorted out, may be an auto box plonked in, it would be the right time to upgrade to a Storme, may be a Hexa or something like the new Endevour.
Exactly - I think I would do the same, but we urgently need another Storme (4x2) for the family duty...as we cannot get parts for the 1998/1999 Safaris we have, unfortunately as they had been repaired by non-Tata mechanics (and driven by drivers), so they were also ruined "by a thousand cuts".

Sad, really.
Old 10th December 2015, 14:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are coming from a petrol car onto any diesel hatch/sedan/suv this phenomenon is common. The varicor 400 is the most powerful SUV in its segment. The 0-100 timings are better than even a fortuner.
Applauds for tata
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 14:40   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The varicor 400 is the most powerful SUV in its segment. The 0-100 timings are better than even a fortuner.
No they aren't. The Fortuner does the 0 - 100 in the low 12 seconds. Segment leader - the XUV500 - also completes the dash to the 100 quicker.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 15:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
If you are coming from a petrol car onto any diesel hatch/sedan/suv this phenomenon is common. The varicor 400 is the most powerful SUV in its segment. The 0-100 timings are better than even a fortuner.
Applauds for tata
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No they aren't. The Fortuner does the 0 - 100 in the low 12 seconds. Segment leader - the XUV500 - also completes the dash to the 100 quicker.
Yes, its not just about the BHP on the spec list.

If I am not wrong this is more on the power to weight ratio of the car. I have driven the 140 bhp DICOR, and have also tried Fortuner and own an XUV5OO.

But the Safari felt like the heaviest of them all though it offers decent power.
Old 10th December 2015, 16:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Yes, its not just about the BHP on the spec list.

If I am not wrong this is more on the power to weight ratio of the car.
Exactly.

From the top of my head (and after my inspection of my bought, then rejected Fortuner 4x4 AT), I have found that the metal used in the Fortuner is way under-guage as compared to the Safari Storme, including complete lack of any bumper at the rear (only a plastic bumper cover) and probably the same in front. (Or very limited type of protection, if a bumper even exists at all)

The sheet metal is much thinner and the doors weigh much less on Fortuner. A strong breeze could blow them shut. Not possible at all with Storme's doors.

Also the ladder frame of the Fortuner doesn't lead all the way to the back of the vehicle, amazingly! The Storme's does so and impressed me substantially. However, no AT with 4wd. :(

Therefore, the Fortuner should weigh less and be able to match an upguaging of the Storme motor such as this - not sure really...
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 16:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The figures which i am seeing is
Storme 400- 12.8 seconds

Xuv 500 - 13.2 seconds (some even say its 11 some say its 12, some say 13.8= too much variations)

Fortuner -12.5 team bhp timings, somewhere i see 13.5

In any case they seem to be close enough even if we take the lowest figures.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:08   #24
BHPian

A good upgrade from TATA on the mechanical front, but its evident that the Storme is still "under-equipped". They should have done this upgrade a bit more sophisticated by adding some fine bits like a touchscreen system with navigation, automatic transmission with 4WD, front facing third row seats, a new front fascia just like M&M did with the new age XUV 5OO. I hope they do this with the next iteration whenever it rolls out and really wish they do it soon!
Old 10th December 2015, 17:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
A good upgrade from TATA on the mechanical front, but its evident that the Storme is still "under-equipped". They should have done this upgrade a bit more sophisticated by adding some fine bits like a touchscreen system with navigation, automatic transmission with 4WD, front facing third row seats, a new front fascia just like M&M did with the new age XUV 5OO. I hope they do this with the next iteration whenever it rolls out and really wish they do it soon!
Storme AT is already doing rounds of testing. There are so many spy shots of the same. Waiting for the launch.
TATA has put the basics first. Self Adjusting Clutch, electronic solenoid turbo, strong chassis, rear wheel drive and a good 4x4 with low ratio.
I have driven cars with touchscreen and i have always found it distracting to use the touch features while driving. Anyways its a personal choice.

Third row front facing in storme wont be comfortable for sure. Upcoming Hexa is the product range if you are looking for people mover - which is totally equipped with all the gizmos.

For me i would prefer chassis, 4x4 with low ratio and a RWD over gizmos in XUV for the intent of looking at Storme.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Storme AT is already doing rounds of testing. There are so many spy shots of the same. Waiting for the launch.
TATA has put the basics first. Self Adjusting Clutch, electronic solenoid turbo, strong chassis, rear wheel drive and a good 4x4 with low ratio.
I have driven cars with touchscreen and i have always found it distracting to use the touch features while driving. Anyways its a personal choice.

Third row front facing in storme wont be comfortable for sure. Upcoming Hexa is the product range if you are looking for people mover - which is totally equipped with all the gizmos.

For me i would prefer chassis, 4x4 with low ratio and a RWD over gizmos in XUV for the intent of looking at Storme.
Yes I did read news that its coming with 6speed A/T and I see Storme has the capability to give a tough fight in its segment. I am sure the combination of a 6 speed auto transmission coupled with a 4WD will make a great proposition and I prefer this variant of Storme any day over Scorpio 4wd A/T.

Yes, I agree with your point of Storme having all the basic essentials of an SUV and that makes a stronger case for itself but to appeal the masses, it needs to stand shoulder to shoulder with the competition.
Old 10th December 2015, 18:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here. I am sure that the current gizmos on XUV will become as redundant after five years as a five year old Nokia symbian phone is now. And if one is thinking of keeping a car for five years, then he must look for features that are non replaceable. Very few reported niggles in Storme also give some confidence to own one.
My 2008 Swift vxi has alloys, rear parking sensors, audio system with optional touchscreen, navigation and Bluetooth connectivity but I can't add ABS and airbags to it.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 18:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here. I am sure that the current gizmos on XUV will become as redundant after five years as a five year old Nokia symbian phone is now. And if one is thinking of keeping a car for five years, then he must look for features that are non replaceable. Very few reported niggles in Storme also give some confidence to own one.
My 2008 Swift vxi has alloys, rear parking sensors, audio system with optional touchscreen, navigation and Bluetooth connectivity but I can't add ABS and airbags to it.
Exactly my point. On My linea i have fitted a android touchscreen, navigation, reverse camera, DVR recording front and rear, and all the gizmos in just 25k.
Basics should be right.
Old 10th December 2015, 19:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Waiting to hear more details on this!

Not really. Sometimes my Dicor surges also - Tata doesn't have the smoothest of engines!

In my limited driving of the Storme, I think it is probably a bit more refined.

However, the Storme's (320nm Varicor) sounds like a sewing machine rather than an impressive engine like my Dicor 3.0.

Exactly - I think I would do the same, but we urgently need another Storme (4x2) for the family duty...as we cannot get parts for the 1998/1999 Safaris we have, unfortunately as they had been repaired by non-Tata mechanics (and driven by drivers), so they were also ruined "by a thousand cuts".

Sad, really.
The Storme engine doesn't surge. Not at all. In fact the later dicors too don't surge. The earliest engines were buggy and not tested enough. A close friend has had a engine runaway (very scary) in his 2007 dicor. Regarding the sound, I guess you are mistaking the smooth refinement of the Storme to be poorer than the gruff crudity of the 3.0.
I believe the current pitiable state of Tata Motors is solely because they launched the truck derived 3.0 and poorly executed 2 2 in haste, without proper QC.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 19:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The Storme engine doesn't surge. Not at all. In fact the later dicors too don't surge. The earliest engines were buggy and not tested enough. A close friend has had a engine runaway (very scary) in his 2007 dicor. Regarding the sound, I guess you are mistaking the smooth refinement of the Storme to be poorer than the gruff crudity of the 3.0.
I believe the current pitiable state of Tata Motors is solely because they launched the truck derived 3.0 and poorly executed 2 2 in haste, without proper QC.
Mine is a 2005-manufactured, sold as 2006 model Safari Dicor.

Maybe that's why?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed