Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 16:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 launched at Rs. 13.25 lakh

With excitement, I went to the tata website and registered for a test drive of the Varicor 400 version of the Storme.

I got a call from +91 141 300 0400, the person on the call spoke to me for 9 mins 30 secs to gather details of my name, address, which version of the vehicle I am looking for (Specifically told varicor 400), he takes away all details, asks me which dealership would you prefer in Hyderabad and i select Tejaswi motors.

A lady from Tejaswi motors called to ask what's the commitment i can give on buying the vehicle, I asked if they have the Storme varicor 400. She says yes and then I told her that i have not even driven to figure if that meets my expectation. She says they would provide test drive only to those who can commit on buying the vehicle from Tejaswi. So i asked is there any other eligibility that i should possess before i get a test drive ? She is silent. After 2 hours, another person from the same dealership calls to inform that they do not have a test drive vehicle yet. And would get back when the vehicle is available.
sunishsamuel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 16:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
With excitement, I went to the tata website and registered for a test drive of the Varicor 400 version of the Storme.

I got a call from +91 141 300 0400, the person on the call spoke to me for 9 mins 30 secs to gather details of my name, address, which version of the vehicle I am looking for (Specifically told varicor 400), he takes away all details, asks me which dealership would you prefer in Hyderabad and i select Tejaswi motors.

A lady from Tejaswi motors called to ask what's the commitment i can give on buying the vehicle, I asked if they have the Storme varicor 400. She says yes and then I told her that i have not even driven to figure if that meets my expectation. She says they would provide test drive only to those who can commit on buying the vehicle from Tejaswi. So i asked is there any other eligibility that i should possess before i get a test drive ? She is silent. After 2 hours, another person from the same dealership calls to inform that they do not have a test drive vehicle yet. And would get back when the vehicle is available.
@Sunish: If this is the Hitech City Showroom (beside flyover) of Tejaswi, I can vouch that they only have a 2012 version available for test drive. I visited about a month back in the hope of looking at a 2015 version. More than the non availability of the new version, I was more disappointed for not even being attended to properly by the available SAs.
I'd suggest trying out Venkatramana motors, near Kesineni office on Kothaguda - Gachibowli X-road; they got a VX 4X2 recently which I could lay my hands on sometime back. I'd posted a brief report of my short test drive on the 2015 Storme Review thread.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by avinash_m : 16th December 2015 at 16:28. Reason: missed
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 16:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@Sunish: If this is the Hitech City Showroom (beside flyover) of Tejaswi, I can vouch that they only have a 2012 version available for test drive. I visited about a month back in the hope of looking at a 2015 version. More than the non availability of the new version, I was not even attended to properly.
I'd suggest trying out Venkatramana motors, near Kesineni office on Kothaguda - Gachibowli road; they got a VX 4X2 recently which I could lay my hands sometime back. I'd posted a brief report of my short test drive on the 2015 Storme Review thread.

Hope this helps.
Thanks avinash_m, I was not aware of this. I have shot the same feedback to Tata Motors, if they have such dealers who do not bother about customer service, then any good product from Tata is just going to the bin !

I want the 4x4 to test, so i would log a request again and specifically ask Venkataramana motors to call me when they have the vehicle ready.

-----------------------------------

Just got this reply from Tata Motors:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing to us and sharing your concern.

We have shared the details with our Telangana Regional office and the team will immediately take up your concern.

In case of any further assistance, please feel free to contact Mr. Gagandeep Pahwa, Territory Sales Manager, Tata Motors on 8297273335.

Please feel free to write to us in case of any other queries.

Thanking you

Customer Care Team
Tata Motors

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 16th December 2015 at 16:45. Reason: adding reply from TML
sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 17:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I want the 4x4 to test, so i would log a request again and specifically ask Venkataramana motors to call me when they have the vehicle ready.
I guess that'd be a tough ask as that is not feasible for dealerships; to buy/maintain both versions parallely! In fact, the first time I went there they didn't even have a Storme but promised they'll get it within the week and inform me. That's when I came across the 400 story (on the other thread) and sure enough, these guys called me exactly after a week to inform and scheduled the test drive on the same day.

I wanted to test the 4X4 too but didn't complain much as they at least kept their word and brought a brand new vehicle for the test drive! Having read the horror stories of Tata's dealership, this was a pleasant surprise!

Having said that, there still might be an outside chance of they getting another 4X4 only if they are able to sell this current car of theirs'. I recall the SA mention that sometimes few customers just drop the cash and take whatever vehicle is at the dealership coz they don't want to wait; they supposedly had their earlier test vehicle sold off that way!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 18:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:

LOL...This is hilarious. You should have asked them will you marry a guy without even knowing him or meeting before?
Its a similar situation with buying a new car, we cannot go ahead blindly before test driving one.
TATA should look into this matter seriously and educate their dealers so that customers get inviting experience and service at any of their dealerships across the country.
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 19:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I guess that'd be a tough ask as that is not feasible for dealerships; to buy/maintain both versions parallely! In fact, the first time I went there they didn't even have a Storme but promised they'll get it within the week and inform me. That's when I came across the 400 story (on the other thread) and sure enough, these guys called me exactly after a week to inform and scheduled the test drive on the same day.

I wanted to test the 4X4 too but didn't complain much as they at least kept their word and brought a brand new vehicle for the test drive! Having read the horror stories of Tata's dealership, this was a pleasant surprise!
I am surprised. When i had tested the Dicor 2.2, concorde had both 4x2 and 4x4 (both bangalore and hyderabad) obviously chose 4x4 so as to test the capabilities. I was under the impression that the test drive vehicles are given to dealerships at a discounted rate (pardon me if i am wrong, i vaguely remember reading that online - either this forum or google) so that they can cater customer needs by offering two different types of variants; in this case 4x2 and 4x4.

However, what amuses me is that Tata takes a request for test drive, commits on arranging one and then dealer tells that he does not have the model for the test drive. I'd continue to wait till I hear from the dealer or Tata on when the test drive can be arranged.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 16th December 2015 at 19:55. Reason: grammar
Old 16th December 2015, 20:57   #52
BANNED

Why wasn't the Storme 400 launched with front facing rows all through, especially when it was showcased at the Geneva show with that configuration?

Does TML want customers looking for 7 seats to pick up the Hexa once launched?

This or any other reason, they've missed the bus once again IMO.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:33   #53
BHPian

Tata customer care did took my email seriously and they forwarded my request to Concorde Motors. The sales rep Srikanth called me three days back and asked me if he could assist me with the test drive. He told he got my number from Tata motors and apologized for the initial experience. All through the call, he was straight to the point, very polite and was keen on meeting me. Fixed up the appointment for today, he called me in the morning to confirm the time and came for the test drive. They had the 4x2 version only, but promised to get a 4x4 whenever they get it !

1) Wow feeling when you get into the car, you actually climb into the car, very spacious and the interiors are very simple. Looks, feels soft and quality has improved a lot.
2) The AC is bone chilling, even at the lowest speed of 1, the car was terribly cold.
3) The clutch is super smooth, it feels like that of a Fiat Punto. No misses or stuck pedal, very light.
4) Car loves to gallop the moment you leave the clutch. And when you accelerate after the initial momentum, it pulls up super smooth without any jerks/hesitation and revv friendly. Similar to how a RD350 HT would ride.
5) Car would not cry if you are at 20kms and 3rd gear. And when you accelerate from 20kms on 3rd gear the pull is effortless.
6) The black seat fabric looks really cool. The side pockets are slightly bigger and comes with a very useful 1 Litre bottle holder.
7) Noticed additional rubber bushes on the doors, the doors now close and open very smooth. I believe that the bushes also help in reducing the wind noise, by keeping the doors further tight. In addition, hardly any effort needed to open and close all the five doors.
8) The ride takes the cake - OT, After driving punto for long distances, i like the way it rides through bad roads, you just hear a light thud and the shocks are not transferred to your body. The varicor 400 is comparable or even better than punto ride. It's super smooth, and pretty sure no one would complain about the ride quality.
9) Did not get a chance to go beyond 60kmph, but tried slotting on to the 6th gear, no complaints, just kept moving. That is impressive for such a big car.

Dislikes

1) Few of the old problems are still there. The knocking sound of the extension arm connected to the gear box while engaging and disengaging clutch remains, but audible only if you listen to the noise carefully that too when the environment is silent. Does not affect clutch smoothness.
2) The mixer/grinder noise from the turbo when safari tries to accelerate is still there. The earlier safaris used to gasp during that noise but 400nm pulls effortless. Its an irritating noise, but does not affect performance.
3) The LCD given with the safari storme is way too basic. Pretty useless is what i would say.
4) The reverse indicator is pretty useless and not so interface friendly with the LCD.
5) Rear jump seats - no need to say anything further !
6) Middle rows dont tumble completely, cannot recline either.
7) The gear shifts do not have the long throw anymore, but still does not feel that its slotted proper.

What Tata can fix quickly so that there are more pressing reasons to buy the storme ?

1) Please, please, redesign the seating to include a last row that's front facing, or just make it a pure 5 seater. I cannot even make my son sit in the last row; no seat belts, poor sitting comfort.
2) Need cruise control - A simple addition to the varicor, but very useful. it would help maintain 80kmph consistently on the highway an helps a much effortless drive.
3) Give a 7 inch display or provide a provision - with increasing acceptance of GPS, its very much needed, especially when taking the car on long drives.
4) The front glass area continues to be too steep and needs a resize to a smaller one. Probably not so important.
5) Get the display units on the headrests back, why are you removing them from the VX models ? Would help the rear passengers and kids during the long drives.
6) Add a good filter to the AC, does take some of the bad smell inside once a while.

Did the car impress ? Yes and no. Yes for the extremely awesome ride and performance. No for the poor features and seating.

Would i buy - not yet.
sunishsamuel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 20:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Why wasn't the Storme 400 launched with front facing rows all through, especially when it was showcased at the Geneva show with that configuration?.
Storme was never shown in a 3rd row front facing configuration. It was only speculated by Autocar that Storme would have this feature.

> Include a last row that's front facing, or just make it a pure 5 seater. I cannot even make my son sit in the last row; no seat belts, poor sitting comfort.

I doubt whether a proper front facing 3rd row can be included without major re-engineering of the floor pan. The entry-level LX is already a 5 seater. I use the 3rd row seats occasionally (Ganesh idol visarjan or the entire family off to drop someone at the airport for instance) and they are useful for the short distance. I personally would not give them up.

> Get the display units on the headrests back, why are you removing them from the VX models

In this day and age, every occupant in the car has their own phone or tablet with content as per their own tastes. I personally feel the age of mounted monitors are dead, though airlines and luxury car brands provide them. For example, most people in the business class when I travel long-haul are busy with their iPads with their own content, why bother with the low resolution content with irritating interruptions for security announcements et al?

I agree with the rest of the things listed as a must have by Sunish Samuel (sorry couldn't get the quote+ to work)

Last edited by Ferruccio : 19th December 2015 at 20:25.
Old 19th December 2015, 20:39   #55
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Storme was never shown in a 3rd row front facing configuration. It was only speculated by Autocar that Storme would have this feature.

I think this is what Dev was referring to.
Though you will still be sitting on the floor, such an arrangement could be more use-able and safer, IMO.
M35 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 21:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
9) Did not get a chance to go beyond 60kmph, but tried slotting on to the 6th gear, no complaints, just kept moving. That is impressive for such a big car.

Dislikes

Would i buy - not yet.
In extremely bad traffic I got some space by chance and was able to touch 80kmph once. You must have drive in real tight situation.

Good decision of not buying as your dislikes indicate that you want something entirely different from what Storme has to offer.
Old 19th December 2015, 22:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
In extremely bad traffic I got some space by chance and was able to touch 80kmph once. You must have drive in real tight situation.

Good decision of not buying as your dislikes indicate that you want something entirely different from what Storme has to offer.
The drive was purely within city limits, so that's why i mentioned i did not get a chance to drive beyond 60kmph. And it was a mix of very bad roads and a very short stretch of good road.

My biggest deal breaker is the last row seating. I need a proper 6-7 seater SUV. However, i am a big safari fan, so i'd definitely reconsider the varicor after the endeavor launch (depending on the pricing). So that's why i said "not yet"
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 00:09   #58
BHPian

Kudos to your honest observations Sunish! Mind if I ask which Concorde (in Hyderabad) dealership arranged for the test drive?

Lack of certain features (for me it is the Integrated audio system with Cam+GPS+sensors) in the Storme still does hurt considering we're paying north of 15L OTR, but the fact is the current alternative (XUV for me), although has all features (and more), it is not in the Storme's ride-comfort league! To me the seating config (5/7) doesn't matter much but one thought which made me tilt towards Storme as against the XUV was when I tried answering myself; what will be more disappointing at the end of say a 1000 km drive, no Integrated audio system or not so comfortable ride; and I found myself going for the latter! Storme still is a big compromise/gamble if you add Tata's service history and ASS stories (in addition to the missing features) in the equation, but then do we have any other option at this price point at this time?

Disclaimer: Views expressed here are just my observations, no offence to any of the XUV owners on the forum. Although I've not driven an XUV myself, I did take a ride as a co-passenger.

Last edited by avinash_m : 20th December 2015 at 00:09. Reason: Spacing
Old 20th December 2015, 00:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Kudos to your honest observations Sunish! Mind if I ask which Concorde (in Hyderabad) dealership arranged for the test drive?

Lack of certain features (for me it is the Integrated audio system with Cam+GPS+sensors) in the Storme still does hurt considering we're paying north of 15L OTR, but the fact is the current alternative (XUV for me), although has all features (and more), it is not in the Storme's ride-comfort league! To me the seating config (5/7) doesn't matter much but one thought which made me tilt towards Storme as against the XUV was when I tried answering myself; what will be more disappointing at the end of say a 1000 km drive, no Integrated audio system or not so comfortable ride; and I found myself going for the latter! Storme still is a big compromise/gamble if you add Tata's service history and ASS stories (in addition to the missing features) in the equation, but then do we have any other option at this price point at this time?
The dealership is the one at Khairatabad circle (earlier used to be Jasper Industries showroom, I think)
Old 21st December 2015, 12:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

The 500 vs. 400 xuv vs. safari storme

Safari is an old school SUV. Sold well. Tata has only recently learnt to make it good and powerful. Mahindra meanwhile came, stole the show and went years ahead.

Most of us don't care whether Safari is a true blue SUV or XUV500 has lots of kit but a softroader. We buy the vehicle for its presence. Such a thread did not make sense till date as Safari was clearly at a loss until the launch of Varicor 400.

The Storme is now more powerful than ever and the immediate competition too. The build quality beats matches Maruti and Hyundai cars. Tata has also worked in bringing the maintenance costs down. Also it is cheaper than the XUV500 model to model.

XUV500 looks wow with few people thinking it is a very untidy design. I drove the XUV500 for 1200 kms and found it boring but passengers never complained. The kit though was enough to keep us all engrossed over the journey. Xuv500 will get a better resale anyday and has sold more units to cover the safari storme from all sides in a battle. The AT just put a feather in the Xuv500's crown while Tata is yet to bring one out on the storme.

1. Should the Lack of features on safari storme 400 mean it is not worthy even now to compete against the Xuv500 model to model? Will tata kit the storme with more features to fight against xuv500?

2. Is a more powerful XUV500 planned?

3. How many feel that the storme 400 is now better built and more long lasting than the xuv500?

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2015 at 13:07. Reason: Innumerable typos
devarshi84 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed