Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:06   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
And good to know that you point issues with service and ASC for Storme but readily overlook it for a vehicle for which it is not just an issue but a massive buying constraint. That is reason enough in my eyes for a vehicle costing 28 lacs OTR to be akin to the emperor with no clothes.
Man... Some are videshi brands. We are bound to be begging in front of them. But for home grown ones, whatever they do, they can never beat a videshi. Don't you know that ?? Yes, this post "may" be deleted. But I don't care.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:06   #77
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 launched at Rs. 13.25 lakh

1. Most of the reviews/comments/criticism about Tata vehicles continue to come from the ones who dont have driven nor used the recent vehicles.

2. There has been a considerable quality update starting ARIA/STORME and now with the new-gen vehicles ZEST/BOLT. I am sure, this would further improve with HEXA, the upcoming ZICA and the compact SUV.

3. Service center experience - yes, it needs a overhaul. But, if I have to pay twice the vehicle cost [like Fortuner and the likes] to have a superior experience in ASS, sorry, I am not for it. As a matter of fact, am in KHT for a quick repair now and the staff is courteous enough to handle me without any prior service appointment, yet my vehicle is taken up for the repair. I have heard in Maruti or Toyota or VW, they wont even let the folks without appointment inside the ASS. I dont know how much is that true.

4. All in all, when I buy a vehicle, the company should feel that they got a new customer, but not that the buyer feels like I am blessed with this product from TOYOTA !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Congrats. Keep us posted on your Storme. I am also waiting for Varicor 400 to arrive at TM. Seriously thinking of replacing my Scorpio with Storme. Though Scorpio has served me well but I am looking for a more comfortable SUV. Storme ticks all the right boxes so far the reviews are concerned. Happy storme riding.
My Storme is not coming till March 31 due to SC ruling. Navpreet318 from Dehradun will get it sooner.
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
My Storme is not coming till March 31 due to SC ruling. Navpreet318 from Dehradun will get it sooner.
Isn't there any work around? I mean, is it possible for you to move your booking to some other city close by (maybe in HR/PB/UP), register the vehicle there and then bring it to Delhi? Am sure there are plenty of vehicles from these states running in Delhi without getting harassed by the cops.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:05   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
1. Most of the reviews/comments/criticism about Tata vehicles continue to come from the ones who dont have driven nor used the recent vehicles.

2. There has been a considerable quality update starting ARIA/STORME and now with the new-gen vehicles ZEST/BOLT. I am sure, this would further improve with HEXA, the upcoming ZICA and the compact SUV.

3. Service center experience - yes, it needs a overhaul. But, if I have to pay twice the vehicle cost [like Fortuner and the likes] to have a superior experience in ASS, sorry, I am not for it. As a matter of fact, am in KHT for a quick repair now and the staff is courteous enough to handle me without any prior service appointment, yet my vehicle is taken up for the repair. I have heard in Maruti or Toyota or VW, they wont even let the folks without appointment inside the ASS. I dont know how much is that true.

4. All in all, when I buy a vehicle, the company should feel that they got a new customer, but not that the buyer feels like I am blessed with this product from TOYOTA !

Prem.
Your points are well noted. However, Tata is going no where with their "improved" products unless and until they completely TRANSFORM the end customer experience.
Look at the Safari website. Even Hyundai Eon website looks better.
How many Tata ads do we see that will draw a customer in, to want to experience something new. None - because the experience is still old although the product may be new.
Inspite of no sales the sales experience needs much improvement.
After sales service is still far from Toyota service or even Maruti service for that matter.
Until all these changes take place, overpriced Toyota and tinbox Maruti still feel like blessings, inspite of "ïmproved" Tata products.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Isn't there any work around? I mean, is it possible for you to move your booking to some other city close by (maybe in HR/PB/UP), register the vehicle there and then bring it to Delhi?

Cheers,
Vikram
Even temporary registrations are closed currently. So buying it and taking it out of Delhi is highly unlikely. Moreover, I do not want to register it anywhere else even if they manage to find a way around this issue. I have waited a lot for Storme and additional 3 months won't pinch me much (unless, of course, new taxes make it dearer by a couple of lacs).
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:26   #82
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how you guys buy vehicles. Atleast for my family it's never a clinical choice. We all have our eccentricities and likes and dislikes. Being punjabis we have a affinity all things big and spacey and classy. And the balance between them has to be made by our eccentricity.

Fortuner and pajero were big but not spacey. The front glass of the Pajero is particularly too close and gives a claustrophobic feel especially to us large people. The punch is great but the drivability really sucks. It constantly needs gear changes.
And then both of them have small uncomfortable seat squabs at the rear.

Let's come to the roof. In both its just too close to the head just a finger can squeeze between our heads and the roof.

Now let's come to the Scorpio. Let me tell you I love that vehicle personally. The drivability is superb! It's a silent vehicle and very smooth too. If I had to buy a personal vehicle in which my parents wouldn't sit, I'll buy it. BUT... Look at the build quality. Look at the door knobs. First thing my dad noticed were the door knobs. Ridiculous black plastic ones even in the top end vehicle. Then he tried to adjust his seat back and couldn't get his hand through due to the door. Then the rear seat back is too upright. And then the space which is clearly less.

Now where were we. Back to square one. When the safari came for a TD a couple of months back, I could see the faces of my parents. Happy and comfortable as if this is the vehicle made for them. They say in their familiar comfortable positions and we're just content.

Then I brought in the X5, the GLE, the XC60. But nothing came close to making them content.
And now let's take up the case of the Storme. The built quality is great. Look at the plastics, the door knob, the way the doors close. It's really built well. The space is great along with a great seating position.
With the 400 they have brought in new levels of drivability. Less gear changes.

I have been an owner of the safari for many years. And as you guys must remember I myself wrote about the dealer experience. Yes it needs improvement but they are improving and talking to people from top to bottom does help. We have discussed issues with the dealer principle and we expect things to get better but it's just a once or twice a year matter.

What matters more is that for the rest of the year, my family will be happy.

Yes the storme does not sell well. It's more to do with its history that it is expensive to maintain in the long term and it is true till now for our present 3L too. Let's see what this one holds for our future.
navpreet318 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 08:54   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't understand if you haven't driven the Varicor, how can you say only drivability has improved? Maybe even that may not have improved for you?
Quote:
There is no point in me negating your points as I feel ride and driving experience are subjective.
I am leaving this here

Something or few aspects maybe subjective to me as mentioned. So, let us leave it at that.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th December 2015 at 08:56.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:31   #84
BHPian

Vehicle preferences (part from cost) is very personal. Many times I have received flak from my wife and daughter because I bought a vehicle which I thought was best (family never complained during TD) but later found some things which was not good for them. Since then and with Zoom cars everywhere, it's worth to live with a car for 3 / 4 days and drive at least 1000kms before making a call on any car.
Car&me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 12:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
However, if one wants gizmos like voice assist and others then they should stay away from Storme. Though most of these gizmos can be retro fitted, they still won't look as good as company fitted plus they will require money over and above the cost of vehicle. Also, one must test drive all available options to decide what fulfills his requirements.
True, that's what I meant when I said horses for courses.

On an interesting side note, yesterday I drove down from Mumbai to Hyderabad in my Storme. The roads were good until Solapur (4 laned) and every car was comfortably maintaining high speeds, however the roads from Solapur until Hyderabad are a broken mess of cracked tarmac, potholes, single laned with umpteen diversions due to the slow 4 laning. Here the Storme shone thru and I was able to maintain a comfortable 110-120kmph on all kinds of surfaces. Its here where the difference in ability is felt, with every other car slowing down to about 60-70kmph with constant braking for every bad patch.
Storme's great cross country touring ability is reflected on such roads only. My average speeds on the bad stretch was about 70kmph compared to 90kmph on 4 laned roads. I would choose this ability and ride comfort any day over tyre pressure monitors or rain sensing wipers.

The big gripe I have with Tata's is their inability to communicate the steady improvements they have been doing over time to their products. If you observe carefully each iteration has some features/abilities which are better than the older versions, which are never advertised of course.
When the Storme was launched there were several reports on squeaking of doors, especially the passenger doors and the rear hatch, also the plastics inside were prone to rattles over time. The 2014 model I have has sound deadening padding withing the door area, the hatch area and underneath the floor carpeting. The door latches have also been modified and hence there is no door or plastic rattles/squeaks to speak of. The 400 varicor doors have been made lighter, the result of which will ensure there is no need for periodic door setting as well.
I appreciate the company making steady improvements, but if you need sales you need to advertise as well.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 25th December 2015 at 12:18.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 14:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

I suppose no one knows of a very nice feature in the wash wiper of the 400. Once you clean the windscreen with the spray and wiper, it gives an additional wipe after a few seconds. I don't know how many cars do that now a days. I remember Skoda used to have this feature on the Laura.
Also I was pleasantly please with the lane change indicator to be present. Owing the 3L, these small features were a nice surprise coming from Tata.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 15:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I suppose no one knows of a very nice feature in the wash wiper of the 400. Once you clean the windscreen with the spray and wiper, it gives an additional wipe after a few seconds. I don't know how many cars do that now a days. I remember Skoda used to have this feature on the Laura.
Also I was pleasantly please with the lane change indicator to be present. Owing the 3L, these small features were a nice surprise coming from Tata.
Good to know about this feature. My 2010 Figo has it!
ajnagpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 15:48   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Your points are well noted. However, Tata is going no where with their "improved" products unless and until they completely TRANSFORM the end customer experience.
Look at the Safari website. Even Hyundai Eon website looks better.
How many Tata ads do we see that will draw a customer in, to want to experience something new. None - because the experience is still old although the product may be new.
Inspite of no sales the sales experience needs much improvement.
After sales service is still far from Toyota service or even Maruti service for that matter.
Until all these changes take place, overpriced Toyota and tinbox Maruti still feel like blessings, inspite of "ïmproved" Tata products.
Suddenly atleast in Pune, i am seeing a lot more Fortuners new and used than Safari's.

Of course enthusiast do buy it but not en-mass.

Now on Tbhp i atleast know three Safari --> Fortuner converts, an obvious choice like Jay has written above customer experience matters and yes data says it all, whatever one may argue.

If what is called spending entire day at TASS and guiding grease monkeys to do their job properly is called "good customer experience"well i am out of words..Its screaming to Tata's that there is still something amiss.

Now launch 400 or 500 or whatever, its not going to be a cashcow until customer experience is taken care of + Quality.

(if i look back and realize that i would have been better off with Toyota when my colleagues were shouting at me what the hell you bought a Tata Safari years back. They bought Innova during that time and now its done over 1.8L kms without issues. Just for a sake of comparision a regular service is 1-3 hr at Toyota vs full day or more at Tata. How much of valuable time are you personally saving, also matters atleast to me which i can spend on driving ).

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 25th December 2015 at 15:53.
Old 25th December 2015, 15:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Good to know about this feature. My 2010 Figo has it!
Congratulations! swift, civic, safari and other cars like Scorpio, innova, Fortuner, pajero do not. Hence my surprise at it. It's indeed a rare feature.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 20:11   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
customer experience matters

Just for a sake of comparision a regular service is 1-3 hr at Toyota vs full day or more at Tata. How much of valuable time are you personally saving, also matters atleast to me which i can spend on driving ).

Firstly lets not even compare Storme and Innova. Two very different vehicles for different purposes.

Coming to Fortuner, is it really fair to compare it with the Storme just on the service experience?

I can understand the difference but why do we forget how much bang for buck Storme gives. You save more than 40%. With that there would definitely be some trade offs.

People are buying Fortuners because they can. Its not just about the service experience.

Can I buy a 50L SUV instead of Fortuner just because they offer me a superior service experience?

Defintiely not, there would be many more factors and obviously my ability to spend.

If you compare between Storme and say Scorpio/XUV and make your decision based on the service experience then it makes sense but Fortuner, I dont think so.

Hence it all comes down to what you can trade off as a deal and for me, if I save that much money I can trade off a not so good service experience. ( that too the owners have commented umpteen number of times to have been improved.)
mayank0782 is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed