Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 12:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata to discontinue Vista & Manza

Logically a very good move for the TATA, I agree that Manza was a very comfortable car. But for them to push Bolt and Zest sales this sacrifice is necessary. I hope Tata has some product in the pipeline to replace Manza. Zest is not as big as Manza.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:49   #17
BHPian

I think it is a good strategy. For the Layman, there is no difference in the Vista and Bolt - (the bolt of course borrows the X1 platform from the Vista).

So a prospective Bolt owner doesn't feel that he has a 'Taxi cab' as the Vista was slowly becoming. The Zica on the other hand doesn't look as if it is borrowing anything from the Indica and that works to their advantage.

Also with the Vista - two engines are being retired effectively - the SaFIRE and Probably the 1.4 TDi (on the Vista). The Indica/go cs line will only have the supply of this engine going forward (probably at the Pune plant) whilst the Bolt/Zest get different engine lines and so does the Zica. By stopping the Vista/Manza they are slowly but surely taking steps to move away from the Cab market. Though they are good vehicles it is a tough call to make.

As a replacement for the Manza - they already had a droolworthy concept car shown at the Geneva Motor show
Tata to discontinue Vista & Manza-tataprimagenevamotorshow20093.jpg

How I wish this makes it to production - looks like a million bucks and with a good engine will surely act as a worthy competitor to Ciaz/City etc!
torquecurve is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:08   #18
BHPian

I guess they're going to sell them only in Africa now.

In India, their attempt with Club Class version didn't sell well despite the reliability improvements, brilliant features & mouth watering price.

Servicing the present lot wouldn't be an issue AFAIK coz TATA seems to have always provided decent part availability.

IMHO An underrated product that was defeated by the perception of the brand among masses.
Old 9th December 2015, 14:45   #19
BHPian

Sad to see the Vista being removed.
I guess they are removing it from the private segment and not from taxi segment?

IMO the Vista is a better looker than the Bolt, the X-mas tree light, though outdated, suits the "Indica Shell" more than what they have in the Bolt.

Manza, anyway, had to go.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
As a replacement for the Manza - they already had a droolworthy concept car shown at the Geneva Motor show

How I wish this makes it to production - looks like a million bucks and with a good engine will surely act as a worthy competitor to Ciaz/City etc!
Looks like Tata has already taken a few design cues from this in the Zica design. The Prima concept was wonderful then and now, though I heard that it doesn't figure in Tata's plans any longer.

I think Tata is just consolidating the number of vehicles they produce. The Indica/go are purely for the commercial market, and are selling quite well even today. With improved parts quality and reliability they should continue to sell well in future. The Manza especially was in no-mans land with commercial buyers preferring the Indigo CS and private buyers not considering it due to the Indigo tag. They're better off diverting that production line to the Zest/Bolt for if (when) sales improve.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:07   #21
BHPian

Quite surprising news, instead of Vista they could have stopped Indica's production. Atleast Vista is relatively more reliable and has well sorted dynamics along with good ride quality, and interior space, something which cabbies love. Same applicable for Manza as well, which fits perfectly for chauffeur driven folks and fleets.
By killing Manza, one thing is clear that, now there remains only one proper C- segment sedan ( above 4 Metre) which is none other than Toyota Etios, though Verito could be considered upto some extent. Slowly and steadily this segment is dying.
Old 9th December 2015, 18:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good thing to do, Tata must have read a lot of posts on this forum and others where many compare their newer cars (not exactly new though) with certain traits: egg shell design, smiley grill etc. They don't want to carry the baggage of older designs when they launch newer products going forward.
I feel bad for Manza, it was a much better product than Toyota Etios or Nissan Sunny or the likes. The Manza sold pretty well initially in Pune and Mumbai.
Old 9th December 2015, 18:14   #23
BHPian

Why am I not surprised by the Manza being discontinued in just over 6 years since launch. This vehicle had all the trappings of being a leader in its segment but was sadly let down by its quirky electricals.

I had done about 60k kms in about 4.5 years in my Manza and loved it to bits. After year 4 the electricals started misbehaving.

Boy am I glad I sold my Manza before this news. Else my resale value would have been further impacted.

In comparison I still have my old Indica V2 which is now, believe it or not, 11 years old and running fine with a little bit of TLC! No wonder the cabbies preferred it during its heydays.
Old 10th December 2015, 02:58   #24
BHPian

I can understand killing the Manza, but why the Vista ? Ideally they should have pulled the plug on the eV2s and pitched the Vista for the taxi market. I see so many new Vista cabs in our office basement. The ride quality of the Vista is way ahead of the eV2s and the living room dimensions make it the best suited cab!
Old 10th December 2015, 08:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I can understand killing the Manza, but why the Vista ? Ideally they should have pulled the plug on the eV2s and pitched the Vista for the taxi market. I see so many new Vista cabs in our office basement. The ride quality of the Vista is way ahead of the eV2s and the living room dimensions make it the best suited cab!
I agree. Had a chance to ride a Vista during a Uber trip and I was surprised at how big it was in the interiors. And as rightly said, the ride quality is also better than the Indica.

Moreover the car is fresher and would have been best for cabs who mandatorily take 5 all the time.
Old 10th December 2015, 11:56   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
That looks awesome! Maybe because it looks like a Jaguar. Are they getting JLR designers to design the exteriors of Tata cars now?
Old 11th December 2015, 10:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

It would have been better to move Vista to commercial vehicle showroom along with the Indica where it is open for private and taxi operators.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
A good move to counter losses but feel sad for a genuinely underrated product - Manza. As an owner of the Manza, I still get a smile whenever I sit in that car. I compare it to my Tjet and boy the manza still impresses with its refinement, space and abuse friendly nature. Wonderful car, quirky disjointed design, practical to the boot, stable mature ride and a great engine. I wish Tata came out with a modern designed sedan with the hallmarks of the manza -Space, stability and solid mechanicals.
Manza is a very very underrated car. I bought it in 2011 and it has done 1.1L+ and still runs pretty well. Never gave me any problems (besides the AC, which Tata promptly replaced under warranty). Nothing in it's price range or even 1.5 times it's price range can match the rear-seat comfort.

I have recently bought a TUV, but gonna keep the Manza. Every time I drive it, it brings a smile to my face.
ntomer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 11:50   #29
BHPian

I am yet to completely educate myself on the types of engines and gearbox used by Tata in their 4 products Indica, Indigo, Vista and Manza. If I recall correctly,

1. Indica ev2 has Tata's own 1.4L common rail engine CR4, and its own gearbox.
2. Indigo eCS comes with Tata's own 1.4L indirect injection TDi engine, and its own gearbox. Indigo CR4 comes with Tata's own common rail engine CR4 and its own gearbox.
3. Vista comes with 1.4L TDi engine and Fiat gearbox and 1.3L Fiat's MJD engine renamed as Quadrajet along with Tata's own gearbox. The Fiat's saffire petrol engine is already discontinued.
4. Manza comes with Fiat's 1.3L MJD engine renamed as Quadrajet along with Tata's own gearbox in 2 different states of tune - 74bhp and 90bhp.

Now that Vista and Manza are discontinued, does it also mean that the TDi engine is also put to rest? Is the Indigo eCS still in production?

The decision to rest these two is good from the business point of view. This gives Tata the leverage to develop an all new premium hatch - sedan couple to compete with the likes of i20 / Verna, etc, and also to curb the losses made by shutting the Vista/Manza production lines. By the way, is there any new, bigger than 1.4L, engine+gearbox combination development in the pipeline?

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 11th December 2015 at 12:09.
Old 11th December 2015, 12:56   #30
BHPian

It's sad to see both extremely competent cars go out of market. I own a Manza (56K km)since four years now. It is abuse friendly so much so that I don't really slow down on rough patches. I have managed to hit the potholes at high speed, scraped rear bottom under full load in the boot and nothing untoward happened. Just few rattles here and there which I don't mind. It's a pure bliss on highways with its plush ride quality. Yes, its rear does have a rather violent vertical movement on undulating roads if taken at high speeds. Never stranded me on the road except once when battery died suddenly while parked overnight at a resort. Few parts did fail, but then Tata spares had been fairly cheap.
I intended to keep for two more years at the least till I hit a lac km. But this news has got me thinking now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
4. Manza comes with Fiat's 1.3L MJD engine renamed as Quadrajet along with Tata's own gearbox in 2 different states of tune - 74bhp and 90bhp.
Manza comes with a 90PS engine and Fiat gearbox. No 74 bhp variant

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 11th December 2015 at 12:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks