Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2015, 11:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Yeti Style variant introduced in India; Elegance axed

Skoda has replaced the Elegance trim level of the Yeti in India with the Style. As earlier, the vehicle is available in 4x2 and 4x4 versions.

The Yeti Style comes with 16-inch alloy wheels, bi-xenon headlights with daytime running lights, front and rear fog lamps, LED tail lamps and roof rails.

On the inside, the Style features a 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel, faux wooden on the dashboard and centre console, leather upholstery, removable rear seats, 12-way adjustable driver seat with memory function and height-adjustable front seats. The car is equipped with features such as climate control, cruise control, touchscreen infotainment system with 8 speakers and USB, Aux-in and Bluetooth connectivity, electronically foldable door mirrors, parking sensors at the front and rear with a display on the infotainment screen, keyless entry & go and illuminated glovebox and luggage compartment.

Safety features include 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, traction control, electronic stability control, electronic differential lock, hill hold and hill descent control among others.

There are no mechanical changes to the Yeti. The two wheel drive version is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 109 BHP and 250 Nm of torque and is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The four wheel drive version uses the same engine in a higher state of tune. It develops 138 BHP and 320 Nm of torque and is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission with a permanent all-wheel drive system.

Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi):
  • Style 4x2 - Rs. 20,27,000
  • Style 4x4 - Rs. 21,97,000

Last edited by Aditya : 14th December 2015 at 16:34.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 09:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

A fantastic car, although great VFM, I think it would have sold better in India if it was priced a shade under 20 lakhs. With the the current pricing of around 25, it's quite close to the Santa Fe and few other 7 seater SUVs. I really wish Skoda finds a way to price this very competitively and it could be a serious option for many.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 13:20   #3
BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
A fantastic car, although great VFM, I think it would have sold better in India if it was priced a shade under 20 lakhs. With the the current pricing of around 25, it's quite close to the Santa Fe and few other 7 seater SUVs. I really wish Skoda finds a way to price this very competitively and it could be a serious option for many.
I believe the car was priced around 16-17L with discounts few years ago and I'm surprised to see it being in the 25L bracket in the recent times. Also very surprised that it doesn't have a DSG option, considering the same engines are being used elsewhere with the Auto transmissions available in those cars.

That facelift they did last year should have been launched with the DSG, I'm sure it will bring in more attention with how popular the "Auto's" are in these times.
Old 14th December 2015, 16:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti Style variant introduced in India; Elegance axed

Skoda Yeti Style variant introduced in India; Elegance axed - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 14th December 2015, 21:39   #5
BHPian

I am not able to figure out the difference between Elegance trim and Style trim. Can anyone throw some light on the difference between Elegance and Style features wise/ price wise?
Old 14th December 2015, 22:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

unfortunately still no auto tranny!
Old 14th December 2015, 23:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I find it hard to understand why they cant price this one heck of a machine more competitively. The engine and gearbox are being produced here for quite some time now. The platform is shared with so many other cars and the efficiency with which VAG group companies share their parts bin, it is almost Suzuki-like

The compact SUV segment is booming big time and the Yeti is the textbook compact SUV. Skoda ASS notwithstanding, this car can give the XUV500 and the Creta a serious run for their money if priced in the range of 15-18L. In fact, if it manages even half the volumes of either of them, that will be more than the sales of all other Skodas combined.

The 1.4 TSi engine can always be shoehorned in to provide more options without jacking up the price.

It has to be more profitable to sell 1000-1500 units a month at 17L than to sell 15 units a month at 25L.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th December 2015 at 23:14.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 07:15   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
When I bought my Yeti 4x4 Elegance 4 years ago, it was priced at 21.78 on road Bangalore. I bought it largely because I had seen it on Top Gear in the UK in March of that year and had test driven it while in England and again several times, when back in India. And loved it, for what it was.
After negotiating many discounts and no claim bonuses etc, I got mine into my possession at around 19.5 on road. I did pay a large downpayment with money that I had specifically saved for this vehicle and threw in the proceeds from my old vehicle too, which allowed me to buy this by taking less of a loan than I would otherwise have had to.
At that time, everyone, including me, still felt this was an expensive price for the vehicle.
But as the years have rolled by, I realise that it was a fair price for what I got at the time.
Even 4 years on, the vehicle feels just as good as new in many ways.
Yes, I changed the battery in 2015 (it lasted 4 years from the date of manufacture/assembly of the vehicle). Yes, the instrument panel went on the blink and I got it changed under extended warranty. Yes, the tyres are hardening a bit and the vehicle needs a new set of shoes in the first quarter of the new year.
And overall, I have spent around Rs 15-18K per annum on servicing/ maintenance since it only needs one service every 15K Kms or every one year, whichever comes earlier.
Its insurance costs about 15K per annum with another 15K each year that I spend, in renewing its "Zero Depreciation" policy.
Typically, it returns about 13kmpl in the city and 18kmpl on the highway, so I never generally end up spending more than Rs 4000 each month on Fuel.
And one more thing, it has sustained various vandalisation attempts and scratches and damages, all of which I have painstakingly attended to, apart from keeping it clean and maintaining its interiors etc.
Basically, look after the vehicle nicely and kindly and it will "love you back".
The real value of a vehicle like this, will only come out when you keep it over the longer term - these "tough" European vehicles are designed to last for longer periods of time and one will only be able to extract a proper ROI when one hangs on to the vehicle for at least 5 years, maybe more.
Right now, there seems to be absolutely nothing in the market which is quite like the Yeti. Hence, I really have no choice at all, other than to keep and nurture it as long as possible.
It also helps, I guess, if one is not very motivated to change one's vehicle just for the sake of changing it, or if one is not at all motivated by what other people think.
If one is very clear about the type of vehicle one is happy with and overall, is secure inherently in the choices one makes and the life one leads, then, there is really no reason to "use and throw".
The same concept applies to the other "things" one owns, be they as simple as a fridge or a TV or watch or whatever...
Just my two bits as a generally happy and satisfied owner of the Abominable Snowman.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th December 2015 at 07:25.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 20:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one is very clear about the type of vehicle one is happy with and overall, is secure inherently in the choices one makes and the life one leads, then, there is really no reason to "use and throw"....
Every time I spot a Yeti on the road, I look at the owner with a certain respect and think this is a guy who knows what he wants in life. It takes a certain chutzpah (in a good way) spending 20L on a vehicle which clearly has it's own value proposition despite what others may seem to think.

Not just a price revision, simply having DSG option might increase the sales manifold. A lot of well to do families might buy this as a second car or for the females in the family, since at this price point there's no other option that gives the stance, ease of use, compactness and sheer quality on the inside. But Skoda just seems to have a death wish on the Yeti

Last edited by avisidhu : 15th December 2015 at 20:28.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 12:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the Yeti is in a class of its own like my Ford Fusion but now if one bothers to look we have a serious contender in the name of S-Cross. I am not mentioning Creta as its a SUV.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I agree that the Yeti is in a class of its own like my Ford Fusion but now if one bothers to look we have a serious contender in the name of S-Cross. I am not mentioning Creta as its a SUV.
The Yeti is more SUV than the Creta - specially the 4*4 models.
However - they all more or less fall in the same category as the S-Cross, and Duster, and what not owing to their body & chassis structure, higher GC, limited off road ability, etc.

Personally - I think Skoda India is one confused entity!
IIRC they've discontinued the MT variants of the Octy TDi recently, but still continue to attempt selling the Yeti without a DSG option.
Given the success of the cheaper Creta A/T - the DSG variant is what could turn the Yeti's sales around - as people are slowly opening up to and accepting such vehicles given road conditions and parking hassles!
Old 16th December 2015, 20:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

I posted using my mobile so couldn't put a smiley after the last sentence that Creta is a SUV.

I feel the Skoda has gone too far in increasing the prices of their offerings. Skoda Octavia which was once comparable with City or Civic can now be compared with Corolla to Accord. Whether one likes it or not, it does ends up in creating the image of Skoda more premium than VW.

One interesting question arises that whether the customer of such cars really use their cars for off-roading, I bet that atleast Yeti owners won't be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Yeti is more SUV than the Creta - specially the 4*4 models.
Old 16th December 2015, 20:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

We checked the Yeti and ran away seeing the space at the rear. Sedans have better space. For this price i may end up actually picking a nice 4*4 Jeep and decorating it with imported parts and yet save a lot.

Great car, poor pricing. Personally to me its not a five seater and is cramped in the rear. Great utility for a small family but there are better option at this price. I dont need an overpriced Wagon R. And thats my personal opinion.

And they dont have a DSG the biggest selling point from this stable. Thats a shame and to pay over 25L on road for a manual version of a car that you will not have the heart to take out for offroading though it is perfectly capable makes only sense that Skoda is not expecting to sell this to large numbers but exclusive few.
Old 17th December 2015, 07:38   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
We checked the Yeti and ran away seeing the space at the rear. Sedans have better space. Personally to me its not a five seater and is cramped in the rear.
Great utility for a small family but there are better option at this price.
And they dont have a DSG the biggest selling point from this stable.

Im just making some points here as an Yeti owner. And if you go over those old threads of mine in 2010-2011, you will find that I did a great deal of research and asked a lot of people on TBHP a lot of questions before finally deciding on the Yeti as my vehicle of choice.

1. The Yeti is a perfect 4 seater or a 2 seater plus quite a lot of luggage, or a 2 seater + 2 dogs.
2. It is perfect for some. No one buys a Yeti for its "people carrying capacity" or "huge space" or "formidable road presence". People buy it (if at all) for its versatility (even in terms of space, because you can actually pull out all the rear seats and make it into a van), general features, safety, build, general toughness, capability in city/ highway, fuel efficiency, broken road handling and overall premium/comfortable feel.
3. Depending on what one is looking for, there may be better options available yes, but there is certainly nothing in the market that is quite comparable - every other vehicle which offers as much (or as little) as the Yeti does, is priced at nearly double the Yeti's price - for example, the closest comparable vehicle that offers as much, right now, is either the LR Freelander/ New Discovery OR the Audi Q3 or even the Evoque! Not even the BMW X1 comes close, with its features. Yet all these are way more expensive and for me, completely unaffordable or not worth buying in India.
4.The Yeti is most certainly NOT an overpriced WagonR and nor can it really be compared with the S Cross either. At a pinch, one could compare the Duster or Terrano but neither of these have the same level of "feel" and "quality" though they do have some of the features (in the case of the S Cross) and perhaps better space (in the case of the Duster and Terrano at least). The Creta too has space and some features but is not quite comparable with the Yeti. In fact none of the above, compare in terms of Safety Kit and other features.
5. Yes they should have a DSG. That's sorely lacking.
6. Yes, the price at nearly 28 lacs on road Bangalore, is very high indeed but that's a problem created by the falling rupee - for example why do we have to pay nearly 20 odd lacs for an innova here in India, or nearly 30 lacs for a Fortuner or 30 lacs for a CRV? These cars are all priced at about half of this amount, in other markets! No other reason than the low rupee value.
7. When I bought my Yeti in 2011, the UK Pound was at about 90 Rs. The car cost about 27000 Pounds at the time in the UK for the same trim level as I bought. I paid Rs 19.5 lacs (on road Bangalore) and this price was eminently fair. In Australia at the same time, the AUD was at Rs 50-52. The price of the Yeti there at that time was AUD 45000 for the same trim level. The India price at the time, was very fair and comparable. This was one reason why I felt it fair to pay the India price.
8. When the Yeti was launched in 2010 in India, I also did not find it a viable alternative for the Scorpio at the time. I was also thinking "space", "road presence" etc. But when I drove it and handled it a bit, I realised that it was in a class apart and could not be fairly compared to my points of reference at the time. I was using a rented Subaru Forester at the time in the UK and that was a fully loaded top spec vehicle. I was able to compare the Yeti to that vehicle, in terms of comfort, quality and features. That Forester was priced around 29000 Pounds at the time and the Yeti was certainly a great alternative, though smaller and anyway it was cheaper even there as mentioned above.
9. In 2011 when I was in the market, I seriously considered a second hand Tucson (for its features and capability), but rejected it because it was already at its "end of life". Then, I considered the first gen XUV too, because I have been a Mahindra Loyalist and indeed, was one of the people called up by Mahindra, to Bombay, from Bangalore to have a preview and drive of the XUV before it was launched in the market! Yes, it was priced well, at about 14-15 lacs for the top spec. But it was too large for my needs, and it was not as well put together as the Yeti was, for sure. Hence I dropped it.
10. I also considered the Duster but when I researched it, the Renault folks clearly said that they would be launching only a 2WD version, which though better than the Scorpio, still did not meet my desired spec. The India Duster was not the same as the one in Europe in terms of safety kit and trim.
11. The Yeti a good vehicle and has behaved well, for me personally. And when I bought it, I paid what I consider a fair price for what I got. I bought it because it suited my personal needs well, as compared to any other thing that was available at the time. And I have taken it off road onto some rough tracks and broken paths, both in Coorg and in Ooty and it has behaved very well indeed.
12. It is true that had I owned a Duster instead, I might have treated it more harshly.
Consumers here in India have evolved a lot, over the last 6 - 7 years. Everything is no longer about size and "road presence". It is more about "quality" and a good comfortable feel along with Safety features.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th December 2015 at 07:45.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 10:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im just making some points here as an Yeti owner. And if you go over those old threads of mine in 2010-2011, you will find that I did a great deal of research and asked a lot of people on TBHP a lot of questions before finally deciding on the Yeti as my vehicle of choice.
Rightly said Shankar. My father is owning a Skoda Yeti since 2010. The Car is an amazing one. My 70 Yr old father drives the car around and really enjoys the ride and feel of the car. I call it a Car since its driving pleasure is similar to a car rather than a SUV. Its a perfect car for any type of roads and any city. Populated or Less populated. Last 5 years the car has never given any issues. Only one thing as mentioned earlier you need to timely service and maintain the car (Actually this is for all the cars in the market) If a car is kept in good condition by the owner the car also treats the owner well.

When i was looking out for a Bigger car for myself i was inclined to buy the Yeti, but the Home Minister said that we already have one in the family thus went for a Terrano.

All the best Skoda. Hope you get the DSG variant sooner for Yeti. It will be a crown puller.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th December 2015 at 11:28. Reason: Trimming quoted content. A large quoted post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks