Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 09:01   #1
BHPian

Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific small car

Good news, Honda has decided to come up with an India-specific car, to be designed and built locally. Some key quotes (source):

Quote:
The car would be the first to be developed at Honda's local research centre and will be positioned above small, cheap entry-level models, such as Maruti Suzuki's Alto and Wagon R, Hironao Ito, senior vice president at Honda Genbetsu India, the R&D arm, said.
Quote:
The study by Honda is likely to lead to the development of a small hatchback that will be produced in India and exported to other markets, according to consultant IHS Automotive associate director Puneet Gupta. IHS expects Honda to launch the vehicle around 2020 and sees production of 150,000 units a year, of which 50,000 will be for export.
Quote:
Honda's decision to begin the feasibility study was prompted by a shift in car-buying preferences with consumers looking beyond basic, no-frills cars, said Ito. A higher level of localization also supported the decision.
Honda already procures 80 percent of its parts from suppliers based in India
This augurs well for India
KomS_CarLog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 10:36   #2
BHPian

re: Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomS_CarLog View Post
The car would be the first to be developed at Honda's local research centre and will be positioned above small, cheap entry-level models, such as Maruti Suzuki's Alto and Wagon R, Hironao Ito, senior vice president at Honda Genbetsu India, the R&D arm, said.
I would object to the word "Cheap" here. Alto and Wagon R are certainly low-priced cars than the lowest Honda Brio car. However, they are not cheap at all and are way more successful than their own Brio, to say the least. And if Honda still feels these two cars are cheap, why it bothers to even bring their competitor. Also, a target of 100000 per year means monthly sale of about 8000. Hyundai with Eon and Renault with Kwid are not able to be meet, so Honda is hugely miscalculating if they think people will buy their cars on the basis of the badge alone. I don't think they have learnt their lesson with Jazz (previous generation) and Brio failure. It is not going to be a walk in the park Honda. Your Amaze has failed to hit Dzire, Jazz to I20, and your all time reliable City is also facing pretty good competition from Ciaz. So, slapping the "H" badge is no longer good enough. Please come down from the high pedestal and face the reality.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2015 at 10:51. Reason: Typo
PNTLovesNano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 10:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Then what are Brio and Amaze? Ones which were catering to the Americans?

Pulling a fast one on Indian customers, eh Honda?
SchumiFan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 10:51   #4
BHPian

Re: Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I would object to the word "Cheap" here. Alto and Wagon R are certainly low-priced cars than the lowest Honda Brio car. However, they are not cheap at all and are way more successful than their own Brio, to say the least. And if Honda still feels these two cars are cheap, why it bothers to even bring their competitor. Also, a target of 100000 per year means monthly sale of about 8000. Hyundai with Eon and Renault with Kwid are not able to be meet, so Honda is hugely miscalculating if they think people will buy their cars on the basis of the badge alone. I don't think they have learnt their lesson with Jazz (previous generation) and Brio failure. It is not going to be a walk in the park Honda. Your Amaze has failed to hit Dzire, Jaaz to I20, and your all time reliable City is also facing pretty good competition from Ciaz. So, slapping the "H" badge is no longer good enough. Please come down from the high pedestal and face the reality.
I agree. This just seems like a PR statement. Amaze was an India specific car in all senses of the word and while it is selling a decent number, I doubt they can sell the Amaze as it is in any other country around the world.
Old 16th December 2015, 10:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. Not only the Brio and Amaze. Even the Mobilio, Jazz and the City. Even if these are sold internationally- We get the 'Made for India' partly diluted versions of these cars. Honda really started tasting success in India once they started going the 'India Specific' way. What more 'Made for India' can they do?
Old 16th December 2015, 11:07   #6
BHPian

Looks like the 'cheap' word in the article is doing injustice Folks, look at the bright side - This Honda decision shall increase the local procurement (say 90%?), will probably lead to a made-in-India Honda being exported (on the lines of Baleno going to Japan - which evinced much enthusiasm) and creating more jobs in the process. And if this flies, others Auto majors may look at this model too - I say not bad at all

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 16th December 2015 at 11:08.
Old 16th December 2015, 11:34   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I know what dashboard they're going to use

Jokes apart, what they're talking about is a replacement for the Brio.

Doubt if Honda's Indian R&D division is strong enough to develop a car from the ground up. Period. And lets not forget, Japan is the master of small cars & packaging. At best, I think the Indian unit would have some inputs (e.g. rear bench space like the Indian Grand i10), but not much else.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 12:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda mulls India-specific small car

Honda to design, build India-specific cars locally

The car would be the first to be developed at Honda's local research centre and will be positioned above small, cheap entry-level models, such as Maruti Suzuki's Alto and Wagon R.

Quote:
The study by Honda is likely to lead to the development of a small hatchback that will be produced in India and exported to other markets.

Honda to launch the vehicle around 2020 and sees production of 150,000 units a year, of which 50,000 will be for export. Development of the platform and engine will be supported by the parent in Japan, but the exterior and interior can be designed and developed locally.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...y_4594641.html
Old 16th December 2015, 13:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing the interiors of 10L Mobilio, am surprised what's Honda planning for their 'low cost' car!! No doors probably??

I think its better Honda doesn't try all these & stick to what they can do best. Make good cars which are desirable. I loved the second gen City a lot more than their current offering - that says about how they have gone down hill over time.

Brio's interiors are so cheap that I felt Etios twins were better. Low cost segment -- please leave it to Maurtis & the Hyundais & the TATAs please. They are the best in giving what customers can accept; those with a snobbish attitude will fail pathetically in that segment.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th December 2015 at 13:48.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Re: Honda mulls India-specific small car

If the car is going to be positioned above Alto (A segment hatchback), and WagonR (B1 hatchback), then it will be in the B2 segment where Brio lies!
Brio and its cousins are sold in India and some South Asian countries.
I do not get what is important in this news. They are going to develop another car to replace Brio platform in 2020?
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
If the car is going to be positioned above Alto (A segment hatchback), and WagonR (B1 hatchback), then it will be in the B2 segment where Brio lies!
Exactly what I was thinking. +1 mate. Even the platform of Brio family of cars is still very new.
I also feel they can increase the localization on the brio itself and make it more VFM. Honda should give Brio a face lift and give more features. I am asking for more features because I don't see Honda reducing the price.
Old 17th December 2015, 14:30   #12
BHPian

2020 is all very far off. I think this is still in speculation stage. Meanwhile any news on the launch date of the Honda Jazz with the 1.5 Litre engine? Have postponed my buying decision and waiting patiently since the Jazz Launch. But off late no news at all about this. Has Honda decided not to launch the 1.5 Jazz in India?
Old 18th December 2015, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
2020 is all very far off. I think this is still in speculation stage. Meanwhile any news on the launch date of the Honda Jazz with the 1.5 Litre engine? Have postponed my buying decision and waiting patiently since the Jazz Launch. But off late no news at all about this. Has Honda decided not to launch the 1.5 Jazz in India?
Honda Jazz with 1.5L diesel engine is available for booking. Thus, the release date ought to be near too. Perhaps, a Honda dealer can help. Check out the Honda India website
Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific small car-h1.jpg
Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific small car-h2.jpg

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 18th December 2015 at 10:16.
Old 18th December 2015, 10:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Well said. I don't think they can get any cheaper than that without resorting to City-like poor build, fit/finish issues, and paper-thin sheet metal and bumpers. I used to comment on how one could never find a poorly maintained Gen1 and Gen2 Honda City, and that holds true today because they were well built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
Meanwhile any news on the launch date of the Honda Jazz with the 1.5 Litre engine? Have postponed my buying decision and waiting patiently since the Jazz Launch. But off late no news at all about this. Has Honda decided not to launch the 1.5 Jazz in India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomS_CarLog View Post
Honda Jazz with 1.5L diesel engine is available for booking. Thus, the release date ought to be near too.
If I am not mistaken, rashreddy is referring to the 1.5 iVTEC petrol. I haven't heard anything about that in the Jazz, or even that Honda is considering it.

Last edited by VeluM : 18th December 2015 at 10:27.
Old 18th December 2015, 15:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
If I am not mistaken, rashreddy is referring to the 1.5 iVTEC petrol. I haven't heard anything about that in the Jazz, or even that Honda is considering it.
No offence meant to anyone but IMHO A diesel Honda is no Honda
When they relaunched the Jazz here the Press release said Honda will use the Rajasthan plant to assemble the Jazz and also export from here. While the 1.5Litre Petrol Jazz would primarily be for other countries, they would also launch it in the indian market by Diwali or December. But looks like obviously that is not going to happen now

Last edited by rashreddy : 18th December 2015 at 15:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks