Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 13:17   #361
BHPian

re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

How will the authorities go about enforcing this ban though? The only way to implement it is when the car is stopped for some violation and they check the registration. Will the same fate follow for the petrol vehicles too?
Old 18th July 2016, 13:32   #362
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

A poor decision. Can't see any logic at all in this.

This is a major reason to not buy Diesel vehicles over 2000cc but frankly what stops the court from tomorrow banning Diesel vehicles over say 1500 cc to include the spate of vehicles that are at 1999 cc.

A heavy vehicle with a smaller engine will pollute more than one with a bigger engine.

I have been holding off my car purchase calls to keep an eye on this development.

Effectively if one is to say buy an Endeavour, Innova, Storme, today then it effectively has to be written off in 10 years leaving no residual value else one cannot drive it is cities with such a ban. This makes Diesel vehicles even more expensive on a total cost of ownership basis. Also this would mean a lot sooner scraping of vehicles and hence further harm to the environment.

Beats the concept of 1 India.

Has to go, but who will convince the courts?
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 13:33   #363
BHPian

What kind of tuglaq durbar is this NGT? Why should there be a blanket ban on all 10 year old vehicles as long as they are adhering to the emission norms? Do an emission drive and only de-register if vehicles don't meet the norms. This is stupid.

People would have invested lakhs of rupees on their vehicles and many people's livelihood depends on their vehicles. Without understanding the impact, banning something immediately shows the lack of application of the mind.
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 13:34   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
How will the authorities go about enforcing this ban though? The only way to implement it is when the car is stopped for some violation and they check the registration. Will the same fate follow for the petrol vehicles too?
It is very easy. They will have the series of Delhi numbers which are more than 10 years old or fall around 10 years.

Chandigarh police used same mechanism when they converted the non secured number plates to secured number plates.
Old 18th July 2016, 14:12   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A poor decision. Can't see any logic at all in this.

This is a major reason to not buy Diesel vehicles over 2000cc but frankly what stops the court from tomorrow banning Diesel vehicles over say 1500 cc to include the spate of vehicles that are at 1999 cc.

A heavy vehicle with a smaller engine will pollute more than one with a bigger engine.
I think you misread. It's not limited to vehicles above 2000 CC but all diesel vehicles.

IMO, off the 2 bans (banning > 2L diesel vehicles), this is better but will this apply to taxis/buses/trucks too? Also, 10 years might be less considering the cost of vehicles. A diesel vehicle isn't going to be very economical if it's lifetime is 10 years.
Old 18th July 2016, 14:12   #366
Senior - BHPian

What happens to the de-registered vehicles? How will they be sold in the markets other than Delhi? I can maybe get a hold on some good Toyota SUVs (Landcruisers) which may be going cheap because of this random order.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 14:20   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Shocking . Just received the breaking news that NGT has banned all diesel vehicles over 10 years old in Delhi, effective immediately.

Source : ANI
As far as I know this rule is already inforce in Delhi-NCR. A diesel car in Delhi has a shelf life of 10 years and petrol car of 15 years (irrespective of registration state). I own a 2005 Maruti Zen (Petrol, Chandigarh Plates) and I was pulled over by a cop for checking my RC for this reason back in 2014. when I was coming from Chandigarh.
Old 18th July 2016, 14:36   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
What happens to the de-registered vehicles?
I am still wondering what will happen to all those vehicles ? where will they be put to use ? How will govt compensate to their owners, as it wasn't their fault, while buying the car they were not aware that these will not be usable after 10 years. Discarding all these vehicles would be a project in itself. One full time ministry will be required.

Unless they have a complete action plan ready to tackle all the possible issues (genuine) arising out of it, this is a poor decision.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 15:23   #369
BHPian

And what about the road tax we paid for 15 years? Is government going to refund for the remaining 5 years? What about the interest on the amount of 5 years they held for entire 10 years period? I know the interest would not be a big sum but if they are bringing in a policy, then it should be brought in ethically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
As far as I know this rule is already inforce in Delhi-NCR. A diesel car in Delhi has a shelf life of 10 years and petrol car of 15 years (irrespective of registration state). I own a 2005 Maruti Zen (Petrol, Chandigarh Plates) and I was pulled over by a cop for checking my RC for this reason back in 2014. when I was coming from Chandigarh.
The ban till date was from Supreme court on registration of new diesel vehicle of over and above 2000 CC. Existing vehicles were exempted from this ban. However, as per the latest BAN from NGT, all the existing diesel vehicles (any engine capacity) would be banned after completing 10 years which I believe is ridiculous. Instead of curbing the actual cause of pollution and making stringent rules for PUC check, they are going for a complete blanket ban.

God save this country.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2016 at 07:59. Reason: Merging back to back posts
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:28   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

The Road Transport ministry has decided to challenge the NGT order for banning all diesel vehicles in Delhi that are more than 10 years old and immediate de-registration of all those over 15 years old.

The main argument that the Centre is expected to put up is that there is no violation of motor vehicle rules and regulations when vehicles comply with fitness and pollution norms, and that a proper fitness test should be the sole criteria for allowing or banning a particular vehicle from plying on the roads.

Quote:
"We have always maintained this, which is laid down in the law. People who are maintaining vehicles well and are non-polluting even after 10-15 years should not be punished. If a vehicle is failing to meet the standards even in the first 4-5 years, it should be taken out of the system. Age of a vehicle cannot be the criteria," said a government official.

Another official said, "People who have paid road tax for 15 years cannot be told to retire their vehicles and sell them at junk from tomorrow morning. If there are issues with our fitness test regime, then we need to fix them rather than punishing the law abiding citizens."

In fact, a section in the government and consumer activists feel that the recent order of green tribunal does not take into account the economic impact of such a decision.

"There may be many, who hardly take out their cars and these may have travelled few thousand kilometers and are less polluting and are like any new car. How can they also be asked to junk their vehicles?" asked an official.
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:26   #371
Senior - BHPian

Finally someone is echoing the same opinion which everyone with some logical mindset was saying! This is what people ve been discussing about all the time, coming out with a proper pollution and fitness test protocol which could be enforced systematically. Hope it goes in the right direction and the chaos is sorted out. In any case I am more than sure NGT's directive couldn't ve been implemented for commercial segment and that itself nullifies the basic "motto" of the ban.
Sticking to the thread, it is high time the SC clears the ambiguity with the 2000 cc ban albeit at the cost of that 1% penalty, however odd that might sound.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 23:18   #372
BHPian

Well I am unable to fathom the matter that why NGT has got after LMVs and private vehicles.
As per central pollution board private vehicles contribute only 7% on total ncr pollution.
Nearly 45% is by construction debris and little more is contributed by commercial HMV.
What stringent actions taken (not just recommended on papers) for these two major contributors?
Anybody go to entry points to delhi and a layman can observe the level of pollution and the contributor.
MCD, NDMC visit only private construction site in colony and penalise the owners only to fill papers and harass owners for well know gains. Real debris lay unattended and scattered all around if someone want to see and notice. Why DMRC sites are not penalised for they very evidently a major violator in dust control. Their contractors have made the city a filth dump with no pollution control in place.
I see some hidden motives of NGT with auto manufacturers.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:01   #373
BHPian

Majority of State transport buses to commercial vehicles barely 2-3 years old pollute a lot more than a 10 year old tata safari or scorpio i would say. It is illogical and just to the pass the burden of buying an diesel suv the government along with NGT has done this. I wonder why is not that fixed first.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:27   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Well I am unable to fathom the matter that why NGT has got after LMVs and private vehicles.
Nearly 45% is by construction debris and little more is contributed by commercial HMV.
What stringent actions taken (not just recommended on papers) for these two major contributors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
Majority of State transport buses to commercial vehicles barely 2-3 years old pollute a lot more than a 10 year old tata safari or scorpio i would say. It is illogical and just to the pass the burden of buying an diesel suv the government along with NGT has done this. I wonder why is not that fixed first.
Because the private vehicle owners are the easiest targets to be enforced with a ban. They obviously can't stage a protest similar to the commercial vehicle owners (remember the diesel cab ban thing few months back which had to be lifted because of the agitation) and threatening 'supply of essential goods'. It is somewhat like the payment of income tax; the normal salaried people are the most vulnerable people to be burdened with all sorts of taxes. The big fishes are not.
Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 10:58   #375
BHPian

Absolutely , i agree with you. It is not a united bunch , retail customers without associations and unions to ensure massive agitation which in turn hurts the aam aadmi somewhere. I mean when will the government understand a person with a well maintained 10+ year old scorpio/sumo/safari can be a aam aadmi too. It is the state of reality.

Also agree on the part of salaried class being the most vulnerable and we are the ones who go to great heights to support respective political parties on social media /public platforms. All the effluents from delhi industrial area being spewed into yamuna with little or no treatment does not worry them at all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks