Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2006, 10:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi roads to saturate by 2010?

Recently i read an article in a newspaper, about the uncontrolled growth of traffic(specially cars) in New Delhi. A study conducted says that if the current growth continues, then the roads of Delhi will saturate if all of the vehicles are on road at a time by 2010. They took some average length and width of all the vehicles as a parameter.. or something of that sort. Of course we know its not possible for all the vehicles to be on road at a time, but imagine what would be the traffic situation. Cars will move at 20kmph max speed, and it would not make any sense at all to buy big and powerful cars just for city use!.. Infact, small automatic cars would be in high demand because people will be more worried of reaching their destinations than thinking of driving pleasure and all.
And i dont think building flyovers are a solution because the way Delhi population grows, flyovers only provide temporary relief for a short period.

For us motorheads, this is even more bad news, since there would be no space on roads to open up our dream machines.. we would just have to be satisfied with our small cars driving slowely in congested traffic
What are your views on this topic guys??

Last edited by DCEite : 16th September 2006 at 10:11.
Old 16th September 2006, 10:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Outskirts needs to be converted as Delhi-2, Delhi-3, Delhi-4
Old 16th September 2006, 13:45   #3
BHPian

, Well the only solution seems to be a reall strong networked mass trasit system. Say a great network of the metro rail???
Old 16th September 2006, 21:44   #4
BHPian

Maybe even Mumbai ?!..with around 150-200 new vehicles being added in the city roads EVERYDAY(I had read this figure a few months back in some newspaper)..

-sr
Old 16th September 2006, 22:11   #5
kdb
BHPian

I agree..The future of Delhi traffic is going to be terrible .. the best way out would be to commute on combination of driving and public transport (like metro).. as I see right now CP is going to be the center of all connecting metro tracks.. going to Rohini, Dwarka, Noida, Gurgaon, ISBT, IGI airport and ND Railway station.

its nice to hear that the govt is planning to finish off all the phases of Metro by 2010 .. (the reason may be the common wealth games) .. but anyways its gonna help commuters like us travelling so much daily.. I hope things won't be so terrible as we perceive
Old 17th September 2006, 11:36   #6
BHPian

I was in Delhi for about a month recently. My bro's marr was in first week of September and going by the traffic conditons, we did leave early from our place for the reception BUT..... i dont need to write anything else

The ring road project (the flyovers..) could have been very good... but we all know the Naraina bottleneck amongst others.. corruption or politics or senseless planning ?
Old 17th September 2006, 11:48   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

With the Metro network complete by 2010 things should ease up, then there is a mono rail project coming up in Noida too. IMHO what Delhi needs is more interconnecting roads between the satellite townships like Noida, Faridabad and Gurgaon. The sheer Volume of the traffic in delhi makes things very difficult... But somehow i still feel that the situation is better than other cites
Old 17th September 2006, 15:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

That is a problem, but some solutions are in progress
1. Metro : Once south delhi and noida are connected, it would make sense to catch the train. I for one, would do that
2. Once the outer-outer ring roads(expressways) are built, while going to Punjab I wont have to drive through delhi. This will also eliminate the heavy truck traffic which starts at 9 in the night.

Both these things are going to happen(One is on track, other is a Supreme court order)
Old 17th September 2006, 15:30   #9
SuperSyn

Some people would argue that Delhi roads are already saturated!

In reality, the situation is just as bad in all other Indian cities. The problem is that our city planners are, frankly, retarded. They do not understand the concept of 8 and 10 lane roads and designated parkings like in most developed and developing countries, and cities are not planned properly. When basic infrastructure is built it should take into account future growth and scalability.

Public transportation is an answer to some extent but it does not provide personal mobility that so many crave. We need planned cities, not the current concrete slums that we are given, only then can the situation improve. Massive urbanization (think China) is the answer here, This will also help de congest existing built up areas.

Old 17th September 2006, 23:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

THis is a problem that all cities across the world are facing. In the US, city planners plan road infratructures for the next 15 years. This results in a better quality of motoring there. But, building more roads isnt the solution. Cities need to have an efficient mass transport system - like the Moscow Subway.

Most Viewed