Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2015, 13:59   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

So the KUV 100 does have a quirky styling indeed but I guess it will have acceptance among the young crop of new car buyers. I am actually in two minds about the design and looks - some parts look really good and some parts are plain ugly! Will definitely wait to have a better look at it in person when launched.
Also, it seems they have not revealed any official/teaser pics of the interiors of the car. Any possible reason for that?
Old 19th December 2015, 14:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

I guess the main and only reason to announce or launch this car is to make people 'hold' their bookings of other rival cars and to calm the nerves of customers in the NCR area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So this is not a proper launch right? Why have they decided to launch a car with only prototype pictures? Is there a hurry to introduce this? They could have waited to launch the car in January itself? This is the first time I am seeing a company unveil a car in this way. Anyways, the car looks good to me from the pictures!
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 14:25   #63
srh
BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I guess the main and only reason to announce or launch this car is to make people 'hold' their bookings of other rival cars and to calm the nerves of customers in the NCR area.
It is to gauge demand and do appropriate production planning. This helps giving the right schedules to the whole supply chain.
Old 19th December 2015, 15:38   #64
BHPian

How detuned is that mHawk 1.5L? The 1.2L mFalcon diesel makes 77hp and 190NM torque, while 1.5L 84hp and 230Nm of torque, seems like M&M went for fuel economy figures than power. Now its time to see how heavy the KUV100 is.
Old 19th December 2015, 17:11   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
A slight modification to make it look bit better IMHO.
In addition can you also remove the "teeth" and add another picture for us? I have a strong hunch, the looks may go up by few notches.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 17:40   #66
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So for a change a Mahindra Petrol Engined car will sell in greater numbers.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:05   #67
BHPian

www.mahindrakuv100.com
The official website of KUV100 is up and live now.
highwaypatrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 19:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I think the design is contemporary and quite like the design. I don't know why people are bashing it.

SUVs this small like the KUV100 or the Renault Kwid are tough to design and execute. The world is just beginning to accept Ecosport and Creta sized SUVs.

Its definitely much better designed than the Honda HRV thats a size bigger.

The Quanto was a terrible effort. No doubt. But the Xylo and TUV were designed to be utilitarian at first.
Looks are quite subjective, so you might find an Alfa 8C ugly and I may find a TVR Sagaris pretty!
The kwid looks pretty decent but this is just way too busy and not original.
The front is of the evoque and sirocco combined. Something I didn't want to see. I could go on and on but this isn't my cup of tea.
Old 19th December 2015, 19:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So this is not a proper launch right? Why have they decided to launch a car with only prototype pictures? Is there a hurry to introduce this? They could have waited to launch the car in January itself? This is the first time I am seeing a company unveil a car in this way. Anyways, the car looks good to me from the pictures!
I don't understand what is Mahindra upto.

I mean why such a hurry and half-hearted attempt to unveil the car?

They organise an event, call media people, for what? to give out engine details and two badly rendered images of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
www.mahindrakuv100.com
The official website of KUV100 is up and live now.
Even the website does not have more views. No rear shots? no interior shots? why Mahindra why?

The car for now cant be commented at all, I dont know what it looks from behind, could be a mermaid for all you know. And the images provided are one of the worst renders to come out for a new launch car. No display of car is ok, but not even an original pitcure??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
By the way I did the front end rendering of the S101 (now KUV100) based on the spy shots a long time back. I was quite close
It is hardly any better than SRKs renders, which he made with nothing more than spyshots to aid. SRKs rendering was a tougher job as he had no proper source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I'm with agreement with you good sir. The Zica and Baleno customers might be on Mahindra's mind as I expect them to price this somewhere between that.

Rant over.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 20:02   #70
BHPian

Oh god ! That is one ugly car...errr KUV. That is the busiest and most confusing side profile I have ever seen. Why do the headlamps stretch so far back, it looks weird. Those character lines just define the cars character perfectly, which is weird and wacky. What were the engineers at M&M thinking?
Well anyway enough of my rant, looking at the majority of the posts in this thread looks like they knew (M&M engg.) what they were doing. To each his own, I still think it's ugly.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 21:11   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Will the KUV kill the TUV ? Kwite possible ..
Old 19th December 2015, 21:47   #72
BHPian

I was on the Android Auto website and they listed Mahindra as one of their partners. I wonder if the KUV will be the first Mahindra car to offer Android Auto. Never been fond of Mahindra designs but I saw the TUV300 recently and it definitely had road presence.
Old 20th December 2015, 01:24   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

The reason for unveiling should be nothing more but to inform potential customers of a new product launch & defer them from buying something else this festive season when there are too many discounts. Plus, this might also help them predict the sales & also 'adjust' the price(?) based on the pre-bookings.

Having said this, I am not a fan of such launches. I strongly believe no companies should take bookings without announcing the prices. On the other hand, no customers should book any vehicles without knowing the prices at least.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 09:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

I think the design is pretty fine. It is hard to design a handsome SUV/crossover/hatchback on steroids under 4 Lacs. The Ecosport is a rare exception (and quite a pricey one!)

I like the way it looks. Butch from the front and okay from the side. The rear as seen in earlier spy shots are not bad as well.

All that remains to see is -
  • How good is the 1.2 ltr diesel engine in terms of NVH and pulling ability? The power and torque is as good as the swift but I am assuming the KUV will be heavier. It would have been nice if they had a 90-100 bhp diesel on offer as well!
  • How good are the interiors? Anything that is close to the TUV's level of quality and fit/finish is fine.
  • How well is this loaded? Being a Mahindra, I am sure this one will have all the basics covered plus some more!
  • Most importantly, how good is the ride and handling? This can be a fly in the ointment and I will be pleasantly surprised if Mahindra has sorted this out. I am not expecting a Fiat Punto here, but atleast a Maruti Ritz!
  • Finally, the pricing! If they start the base petrol at 4.5 Lacs and base diesel at 4.9 Lacs, they should have a winner.
Giving ABS as standard and Airbags as option on all the variants gets a B-I-G thumbs up from me. It's about time our Indian manufacturers start showing the "phoren" brands that they need to take occupant safety seriously and also giving the customers the choice to have a model in his budget with the safety features he needs and not force him to buy a more expensive top end!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 20th December 2015 at 09:15.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 09:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV; bookings open on December 19, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboturtle View Post
This is excellent news! Safety features, at least as optional, on all variants is a really welcome move.

Any news on the approx. pricing and if the diesel will be a 3 pot one (similar to TUV)? Not able to open the video for some reason from office.

Need to understand if the airbags will work as expected on a full bench seat at the front. How will the 3rd passenger if any be safe?
What happens if the passengers are not sitting in alignment to the airbag?

Will be interesting if Mahindra launches the base Petrol at say a lakh more than the Kwid.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th December 2015 at 09:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks