Team-BHP - Why are Honda and toyota[cars] unable to go diesel in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why are Honda and toyota[cars] unable to go diesel in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17151-why-honda-toyota-cars-unable-go-diesel-india.html)

If toyota wanted they could easily come out with a corolla diesel,just look at the range of diesels they have for their UK market.Cant toyota use diesel power for their cars in India.
www.toyota.co.uk

In uk The honda crv,the accord and the civic seem to be sharing the same diesel engine.That accord is giving astounding FE.Can't honda come with diesel engines in India.
www.honda.co.uk

Its suprising that honda the techonlogical giant, as far as cars are concerned doesn't have a single diesel engine in India.Toyota is only in the diesel segment due to the innova.Cant they figure out we Indians are biased towards diesel.Even maruti has waken up to the fact that diesel is fast catching up in India and if not in-house atleast is going to provide fiat diesel engines.

With modern diesels as the buzz word in India (and escalating fuel prices), it is damn surprising that even dominant players like Maruti are late in joining the gang. Tata has obviously cashed in the most on this front with its Indica /Indigo.

Car manufacturers in India (includign Honda and Toyota) have to include diesels. The only question is when. Toyota has a much wider global range to choose from, and will probably be the first of the two Jap giants, to offer diesel sedans.

One of the probable causes I can think of is import content, and service backup. Of course, although it is very much possible to import engines and provide backup (like the Hyundai CRDi's), perhaps the Japs saw it wise to setup base first, and then go the whole hog.

But yes, it's high time Toyota and Honda started offering diesels. India is primarily a diesel-loving fare. If Honda decides to launch the Accord 2.2 ICTDi diesel, we can practically kiss the Laura goodbye.

With the Embera diesel and many more targeted for launch, let's hope the Japs see the light of day soon...

Just food for thought....what if Toyota decided to launch the Corolla diesel? Will it crater Civic's sales...? I sure as hell think so..

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
One of the probable causes I can think of is import content, and service backup...

The official answer that Honda gives is "poor standards/quality of diesel".. it may be true to some extent. Afterall... haven't we seen quiet a few of these modern diesel cars fall prey to adulterated fuel? Don't think Honda would risk their near flawless record (with engines.. mainly) by hurrying to introduce an oil burner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
What if Toyota decided to launch the Corolla diesel? Will it crater Civic's sales...? I sure as hell think so..

think so too... Corolla D4D will sure have a big impact on Accord and Civic sales put together. Wish Honda comes up with the Diesel Accord soon.

In this regard, I would say no other manufacturer had capitalised as much as the TATAs...

I guess there are some buzzes in Honda camp or it may be a rumour too that CR-V in India is expected to have a diesel engine too. I read it somewhere, but not sure about the authenticity.

:)toyota's and honda's biggest technical breakthroughs have been in petrol engines.they still havent reached their peak as yet.by bringing in diesel engines they will sell more cars but also as a sideproduct,their petrol engines will die a slow death.
they cannot let go of vtec's and vvti-i's so soon.
look what happened to the skoda 1.8tpi.it's a brilliant engine but just because skoda has the 1.9tdi,the petrol cars dont sell .
the diesel industry is still in its infant stage atleast in india(considering the technology),its going to take atleast another 5years till all the major players capitalize on the diesel market and then honda and toota will begin their onslaught.so wait and earn for 5 more yrs:)

Guys, you got it wrong

It is all to do with trade tariffs. A lot of the bits for Honda's and Toyota's come from Thailand which is tariff exempt. Unfortunately, the diesel is not popular in Thailand so importing the engine from Japan will make the car really expensive

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
Guys, you got it wrong

It is all to do with trade tariffs. A lot of the bits for Honda's and Toyota's come from Thailand which is tariff exempt. Unfortunately, the diesel is not popular in Thailand so importing the engine from Japan will make the car really expensive

so how are they managing with the d4d engine in the innova.and the innova is even cheaper than the corolla.