Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 123 19.46%
Based on model to color suitability 340 53.80%
Superstition 7 1.11%
Family decides. No personal choice 49 7.75%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 69 10.92%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 27 4.27%
Any Other (Please Specify) 17 2.69%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 15:51   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

What influences your choice of car colour?

Came across this article in Autocarpro. Ford UK recently commissioned a study to do analysis on potential correlation between the choice of car color and the buyers personality.

The study came up with some interesting observations.
  • Women who prefer black cars often see themselves as street-smart and task-focussed – and quick to become irritable if things aren’t going their way.
  • Men who prefer black cars, meanwhile, tend to see themselves as disorganised, easily distracted and reliant on others to complete projects.
  • Men who go for blue cars are a different story. In touch with their feelings and emotions, they place more emphasis on feelings than facts when it comes to making decisions.
  • Women who go for blue seek harmony in relationships and avoid conflict – but have strong will-power.
  • Red and black combinations. Regardless of gender, these tended to appeal to people who are drawn to exciting and risky activities that offer a rush of adrenaline.

While I would question the above analysis, the question that comes up is:

What influences your choice of car color? : Came up with the below standard options.
  • Ease of maintenance: Choice is always a color that is easy to maintain (Say Silver)
  • Based on model to color suitability: Some colors work better on some cars. Choice is based on this.
  • Superstition: Will always chose from a particular set. Will never buy some colors. Example: Some people will never buy a black car.
  • Family decides. No personal choice.
  • Has to be one specific color. If that color is not available, will not buy that model.
  • Depends on availability. Most colors work.
  • Any other reason

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 21st December 2015 at 15:56.
Rajeevraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 15:58   #2
BHPian

re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Buying a black colour car is out of question. My dad thinks only morgue vans should be black in colour and I don't think black is attractive. It hides the design of the car.

I am big fan of blue and other emotional colours like the orange on the Ecosport .

Cars with blacked out headlamps tend to look aggressive in white.

I would love to see more real colours than the usual black/white/silver/grey.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I just go with what I feel looks best on the car, and it's intended use!

The household beater will never wear a very dark shade, but dad's car which has proper parking and always under the eye of the chauffeur wears a beautiful dark blue shade.

However, everything else being equal, I would choose between a dark blue or a white. If neither of those work, then silver is the no nonsense choice.

A few years ago, I was enamoured by Grey and it still features in the decision making process if I feel the white and blue options don't give the car enough justice.

From a superstition perspective, red and black do not work - which is fine by me as black is a pain to maintain, and IMO the bright red looks good only on the Polo (or a Ferrari ).
lamborghini is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I select the car, family decides the color
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:05   #5
BHPian

Ease of maintenance, and to some extent the suitability of color to the car model also.
Voted for #1 though.
Old 21st December 2015, 16:08   #6
BHPian

I needed three check boxes :-). It is my family which decides the car color. They inturn factor in Superstition and suitability. However voted for #4 as that takes priority.
sathya_g_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are more than one parameter, and listing them as per priority is difficult.
Went in for Silver Grand i10 for its availability, but when the things went wrong in it, got a white Swift citing superstition and availability, both.

Aesthetics never crossed my mind, but now truly regret not buying red Swift.

Voted for Availability, as it came across all our purchases.
Old 21st December 2015, 16:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Similar to Henry Ford's quote "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black." my quote is "I will buy car of any colour, as long as it is WHITE."

So I have voted for "Has to be a specific color. No compromise"
recshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2015 at 11:04.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st December 2015, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Oh! a very interesting question.
Generally with wife earlier it was, car i will and colour you will , BUT that was before Team BHP reviews. Poor wife the reviews here also state the color in which the car looks good so she has to really think hard
To give you my latest example, except for Red ( my Dad does not want me to ever have a red gaadi) self and the lady were decided on Stardust Grey Creta and booked the same.
Now two things made us change this :-
  • The waiting period for Stardust Grey was very high and I wanted the car on my birthday.
  • Team BHP review said it looked very dull in grey.
So we went again to showroom and saw all Silver, Red and White and decided on white. Grey was never available for display also. Had it been there we could have taken a look and decided but that is the problem with new launches. You have go by photographs and reviews a lot. Also since it was a gift for my birthday, i could do my bit and we settled for White Creta now named Nanook. Had i taken a grey one, i would have named it Greyta.
BTW has anyone seen Pearl Beige Creta , which is another colour offered? I have seen a photograph of IX-25 in Pearl Beige on this forum but not a Creta anywhere.

Last edited by nkghai : 21st December 2015 at 16:31.
nkghai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:38   #11
BHPian

Right from the time when I purchased my Pulsar, the primary factor that circled my purchase decision was Availability. When I went to book the Pulsar 135LS, I had the Red pulsar in mind. However, the dealer told me that it would take some time for them to procure it, but they readily had with them the black coloured ones. Guess what? I came back with a Black one. I used it for about 20K kms and then sold it. It was in top shape, but somehow, I had no connection with it, to hold on to it.

When it came to my car buying, I wanted to buy an Alto 800 in Granite Grey. Checked with the dealer, and the car was readily available. If the car was not available readily, I would have gone with other colours. Colour was always not my top priority, and probably would not wait for a colour to be available.
May be this thought process might change in the future, if I do not have any problem in waiting.
Old 21st December 2015, 17:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

My dad owns a silver car, and a black car owns me. Enough said.

P.S - When I did not have a choice (buying used and the car was mechanically sound) I have bought a green and a silver car. But when I had a choice (buying new), I went for Black. But I think my next car shall be anything but Black.

Last edited by blackasta : 21st December 2015 at 17:17.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 17:30   #13
BHPian

The time when I bought my Vista, Tata was not selling them to cabbies. However, I thought to myself what if they start selling them to cabbies at some point in time. I was looking at buying a white one but because of the above dilemma I chose a black one, a colour I have never seen a cab in.

Yes so that's my reason for buying a black car. If it were not for this reason I would have bought the limited edition white version, the one with alloys and a black roof.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 17:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have so far bought/leased two cars. Both have been white.

1. When I chose the Punto, the only choices for early availability were red and white. Went with white because I thought the chrome door handles of the Punto 90HP would not look good with red. So Option #2 in the poll.

2. When I leased the Octavia, the standard color available was blue. I felt is was too dark and rejected it. The choice then was between red and white (other colors were not considered because they cost more). Chose white since I thought white goes better with the estate. So again Option #2 in the poll.
Old 21st December 2015, 17:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice topic.

I would go with how well the particular colour suited that particular car and or model. Having said that, I dont like white, black or any grey and or silver for any car, period!

These are actually, in Europe, very popular colours, but I find them bland and dull.

I know quite a few people who choose the colour on the basis of what they think might give them the best resale value. Again, you are likely to end up with very boring colours. I never understood that; if you are buying a car, you want it first and foremost for your own pleasure, not for whoever is going to own it after you decide to sell on.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks