Team-BHP - The Renault Kwid 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 3.83 lakhs!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Renault Kwid 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 3.83 lakhs! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/171764-renault-kwid-1-0l-edit-launched-rs-3-83-lakhs.html)

Mod Note: Our Kwid 1.0L Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Earlier this year, we had reported that the Renault Kwid will also get a 1.0-litre petrol engine and an automated manual transmission (AMT) (click here to read report). According to a media report, these versions of the car are likely to be displayed at the Auto Expo, which is scheduled to be held in February 2016.

The Kwid's main rival and the best-selling car in the segment is the Maruti Suzuki Alto, which comes in 0.8-litre (800) and 1.0-litre (K10) versions. The K10 is available with a 5-speed manual gearbox or an AMT. Renault has taken a leaf out of Maruti's book and decided to offer similar engines and transmissions on its entry-level hatchback.

At present, the Kwid is available with an 800cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine mated to a 5-speed gearbox. It is priced at Rs. 2.57 - 3.53 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The 1.0-litre and AMT versions are likely to be more expensive.

The Kwid has received a favourable response in India. The company has received more than 80,000 bookings for the car and is expecting to sell more than 1,00,000 units in 2016.

The waiting period for the Kwid has crossed 6 months and to meet the strong demand, Renault plans to increase production of the car in the coming months.

Source: ET Auto

Thanks for that update Aditya. If there was an award for THE game changing technology in the Indian market for 2015, I'd give that to AMT. The fast emerging widespread adoption is fantastic and I really hope it enables more options for ATs across segments, fuel types and price points.

I'm not sure how convinced I am though of AMT per se. I have read more than once of owners (mostly Maruti Celerio) having some complaints with the operation of these AMTs. I'm just wondering is this something fundamental to the AMT technology per se or is this more to do with a particular manufacturer not getting its AMT act quite right.

Renault Kwid has really shaken up the segment, and it again is going to do so.
The AMT is a great piece of tech for all entry level cars.

Let's see if Renault can revolutionise the segment by making hill start available in their AMT cars. :)

Renault is fighting a head to head battle with Alto with its ground breaking Kwid, isn't it? :)
The original Kwid is positioned against Alto 800, with its prices matching variant to variant, while the top variant also adding niceties such as Touch screen AVN system. While the crossover looks on an entry level car itself would bring a lot of buyers towards Kwid, these niceties added more bookings.
Now the Kwid is going against the K10, with 1L engine, and the AMT system!
The company now has to ramp up its production capacity and the customer reach in order to cater to the demand all over India. With the existing demand, it can easily maintain monthly figures in 5 digits if only they had the capacity.

With the 1.0 engine and AMT, Kwid will not only hit Alto K10 hard but it will also give a tough fight to the likes of WagonR and Celerio. It is already big and spacious enough to compete with those cars and now it's got the firepower too. And not to forget the crossover looks which is sure to make heads turn.

Maruti should be worried as this is a frontal assault on their bread and butter segment. Only reason Maruti probably have a sigh of relief is the inability of Renault to scale up production and also the lack of reach of it's dealer and service network. I hope Renault can address both of these concerns in the near future and the Kwid becomes an even bigger success because it deserves so.

Very good news !

Thanks Aditya. I think Renault is not even thinking to make us wait a lot and that's so nice.

Kwid can become a perfect car in this segment. The one which offers you everything you wish.

I am pretty sure Renault would be having service strategy in mind till now and hope they are very well prepared till the time all those 80000+ Kwids hit the road. This is going to help them push the sales even further with the 1.0 and AMT.

Nice update. Renault's 0.8L is too ordinary, just like the same size engines in the Alto & Eon. The latter two cars are much superior with 1.0L engines and I hope it's the same with Renault (a brand that hasn't ever been known for its petrol motors). Perhaps, they could just take Nissan's help here.

If Renault does introduce the 1.0L / AMT while the 0.8L version still has a waiting period, it's a smart way for the manufacturer to cash in on the long waits with a more expensive variant. Remember the Elite i20 'Tatkaal' edition, the i20 Active?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 3879042)
I have read more than once of owners (mostly Maruti Celerio) having some complaints with the operation of these AMTs.

What complaints? Jerkiness while driving? A bane of AMTs. That, and the rollback on inclines, are the only two disadvantages of the AMT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 3879045)
Let's see if Renault can revolutionise the segment by making hill start available in their AMT cars. :)

Seriously! More than any other transmission, the AMT really needs hill start assist. Not everyone understands the importance of the handbrake on steep climbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3879567)

What complaints? Jerkiness while driving? A bane of AMTs. That, and the rollback on inclines, are the only two disadvantages of the AMT.

Jerkiness & hill roll I'm aware of and that's a call potential owners need to take eyes open when opting for this. I agree with you as to hill assist - manufacturers should try to address this.

I was coming from this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-resolved.html

I didn't examine in detail but briefly saw the above thread and I was wondering if this is a Celerio specific issue or are all AMTs prone to this. Given there was a specific thread dedicated I thought maybe its more than a one-off.

Having said that, as a general matter, I do think AMTs are still a game changing technology and I love the fact that its opening up AT options across such a wide range of price point, petrol & diesel etc. Kudos to the manufacturers who are taking the lead on this (Maruti, Mahindra, Tata, Renault now etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 3879590)
I agree with you as to hill assist - manufacturers should try to address this.

I was coming from this thread:

AMT, DSG and manual transmissions are similar with respect to them all having clutches. The DSG has a hill start assist, the amt needs one!
About smoothness: the manufacturers expect you take a little compromise while owning a entry level automatic.
Note that higher segment cars generally don't have AMTs.

I think it's reasonable to consider the issue in that particular thread as one-off. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 3879045)

+1

AMT will be that much more desirable with both hill hold and creep function.

After all, Renault does offer Hill Hold in the Duster AWD and it works very well. Hope they can equip Kwid AMT with the same.

:OT Pardon me if this is going OT but with the recent news of Renault launching a more powerful variant of the car next year (Kwid 1.0L). I'm beginning to think whether this long wait for the Kwid 0.8L might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I'm more confused now, as to whether I should wait some more for the 1.0L variant since I've already been waiting since September for the 0.8L one, heh..

Could anyone care to comment on this? Whether I should wait for the 1.0L variant instead? My car isn't gonna be arriving any sooner so I'm not averse to the idea of waiting a few more months for the more powerful variant to be launched. Plus, The Sales Rep. told me that he will "try" to have my car delivered in the 2nd week of January which seems unlikely because I visited the dealer as well yesterday (dealer based in another city) and checked their booking list, it seems I was skipped over so that some local person could get the car faster than me. heh, pretty disheartening.

Mods please delete if I'm going too OT. Thank you :)

Now the Renault Kwid with 1.0L engine and AMT seems to be a very interesting proportion and I think Renault will price it less than the Alto K10. The 1000cc engine in Kwid should produce ~70bhp as per the competition and could possibly have a power to weight ratio of more than 100bhp/ton which should be fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadewilson (Post 3879956)
Could anyone care to comment on this? Whether I should wait for the 1.0L variant instead?

If I were you I will wait and get the 1.0L Kwid, because more power is always good for this funky little car. Though you will have no complaints with 0.8L if you are driving sedately inside the city, I would suggest you to test drive the Alto K10 to get the feel of 1.0L engine performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadewilson (Post 3879956)
I'm beginning to think whether this long wait for the Kwid 0.8L might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I'm more confused now, as to whether I should wait some more for the 1.0L variant since I've already been waiting since September for the 0.8L one, heh..

Could anyone care to comment on this? Whether I should wait for the 1.0L variant instead?

If you don't need the car as soon as possible, then my suggestion would be to wait! :)

The Auto Expo is just around the corner, and even if it takes another month or so to launch the car (after the unveiling), it's completely worth the wait. If you plan to buy the Kwid as a replacement for your current car, then hang on to your ride for a bit longer. If it's going to be a second (or third etc.) car in the family, then you have even more reason to wait for the 1.0 litre engine and AMT option.

After the excellent pricing of the 800cc Kwid, I get the feeling that Renault will price the 1000cc version on par with the Alto k10 (or maybe marginally higher considering that it's rumored to get a passenger airbag & ABS). Also, 1000cc engines in cars of cars of this class (Alto, Eon & Kwid) generally mean very peppy performance! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torino (Post 3879987)
If I were you I will wait and get the 1.0L Kwid, because more power is always good for this funky little car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 3879995)
If you don't need the car as soon as possible, then my suggestion would be to wait! :)

The Auto Expo is just around the corner, and even if it takes another month or so to launch the car (after the unveiling), it's completely worth the wait. Also, 1000cc engines in cars of cars of this class (Alto, Eon & Kwid) generally mean very peppy performance! :D

I think I will wait for the 1.0L Kwid then, I didn't know that it would be coming with ABS as well as a passenger side airbag, that just sweetens the deal. I'm not in such a hurry anyway, plus the wait has already been a long one so I'm prepared to wait a bit more for the more powerful engine :) Thank you all clap:

The AMT version I feel will be a game changer if they can get the pricing right. Especially in Tier 1 cities- where Renault has a decent presence - it will give a good fight to the AltoK10 AMT . If it's priced at or near Maruti - tgen this can see some serious sales for Renault. Hope they perk up their service department !