Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 15:22   #601
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

XUV300 looks like a complete package with many of the segment first features. I read somewhere that Tivoli is 4.2mt long. Mahindra got it under 4mt but didn't do anything to the wheelbase. It makes XUV300 with the longest wheelbase in its segment. Moreover, at 1820mm Its wider than Brezza(1790mm), Ecosports (1765mm), Nexon(1811mm) and Creta(1780mm). The longer wheelbase and Wider body make XUV300 a perfect dynamic vehicle. IMHO, Nexon and TUV300 will face maximum damage due to XUV300. MS Brezza will surely face some heat but it"ll survive. The compact SUV segment will become more interesting with the entry of XUV300.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 15:23   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It will be interesting to see how these numbers ( Jan-19 ) get realigned after XUV300's launch
I suspect that we need to look at the XUV500 numbers as well. A lot of cross shopping will happen.

I am very curious about this steering wheel stiffness selector. Mahindra better hope it doesn't turn into a headache. They are known for their initial niggles. Any other car that offers such a set up?
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 15:36   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra's XUV3OO Petrol A(M)T variant likely to arrive in 2020.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 15:47   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
XUV300 looks like a complete package with many of the segment first features. I read somewhere that Tivoli is 4.2mt long. Mahindra got it under 4mt but didn't do anything to the wheelbase. It makes XUV300 with the longest wheelbase in its segment. Moreover, at 1820mm Its wider than Brezza(1790mm), Ecosports (1765mm), Nexon(1811mm) and Creta(1780mm). The longer wheelbase and Wider body make XUV300 a perfect dynamic vehicle. IMHO, Nexon and TUV300 will face maximum damage due to XUV300. MS Brezza will surely face some heat but it"ll survive. The compact SUV segment will become more interesting with the entry of XUV300.
All this completely depends on what price M&M can slot this under?

The sub 4 meter pseudo-SUV segment is very competitive and highly price conscious. Mahindra is doing a good job pushing the inherent qualities of the car but the price will decide the products' success.

All this while M&M struggled to find a footing in the sub-4 meter class despite having a 3-4 product portfolio + aggressive pricing. I think primarily because the competition offered better or more appealing products.

This time with the Tivoli/300, the package looks good.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 18:49   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Was TBhp invited for the media drives? I am really hoping we were..
What makes you think TBhp wasn't invited? TBhp is always there at every single media drive event. The Bangalore guys came in this time. Vidhyut and , ummmm, sorry forgot the other persons name. Damn!

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2019 at 07:37. Reason: Reinstating original post. Also, other Mods name was Suhaas :)
BunnyPunia is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 19:23   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There are so many these days, that it is difficult to even keep track!

Found CarToq to be the best among the lot. Here are a few more good ones though -
True, but with the competition the reviews are getting better and creative.

For XUV3OO, finally it boils down to price. Also, I am not sure how much people will appreciate a dual zone climate control over rear AC vents or say better boot space over leg room. They could have made the back seat angle adjustable to get much needed boot space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
TBhp is always there at every single media drive event. The Bangalore guys came in this time. Vidhyut and , ummmm, sorry forgot the other persons name. Damn!
Out of Topic, looking at the name and reference to XUV5OO in the video and this reply, I guess you are the same person who reviewed XUV3OO for the CarToq. If so, thanks for the nice detailed video

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th February 2019 at 09:44. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
recshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 19:38   #607
BHPian

My take on this after going through with couple of YouTube reviews. This car looks great as far as the driving dynamics (especially the Diesel engine) and other first in segment features are concerned. But, only 250+ liters boot is really not acceptable when we look at the engine dynamics where it suits more for Highway driving. When someone wants to travel on a highway trip, they should definitely need a decent boot to keep their luggage. Except the Boot size, the overall product looks promising, if Mahindra gives for a competitive Pricing.
Old 6th February 2019, 19:46   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

Out of Topic, looking at the name and reference to XUV5OO in the video and this reply, I guess you are the same person who reviewed XUV3OO for the CarToq. If so, thanks for the nice detailed video
Thanks for the appreciation. Much appreciated. But now that the embargo is off, I can openly say this is a CAPABLE product. Rest, once the official TBHP review comes out...
BunnyPunia is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 02:21   #609
Senior - BHPian

More reviews in

shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 04:53   #610
Senior - BHPian

Indian car buyers are an enigma. Even the last-gen Swift sold well in its class, despite having a boot smaller than hatchbacks from a lower class. I believe the XUV300 will be a success & almost all others will be impacted because of this car initially.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2019 at 07:18. Reason: Awfully typed post
CARDEEP is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2019, 09:05   #611
BANNED

Zigwheels review on XUV3OO.

pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:13   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Indian car buyers are an enigma... Even last gen Swift sold well in class despite boot smaller than lower class hatches.
In this day and age when almost everyone lives in nuclear families - is the boot really that important? The bootspace in my Punto was insufficient only for a couple of airport runs - during its entire lifetime.

The way I see it - XUV3OO has useable bootspace for a small family road trip. But yes - if you are someone looking to travel with a full house, then the space will be disappointing.

Speaking of which, is there no parcel tray at all? None of the media cars have it, nor is it mentioned in the variant list.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th February 2019 at 09:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:18   #613
Senior - BHPian

The XUV 300 is a great package from Mahindra. It clearly is the segment best in safety, features and performance. The only cons I can think of -
1> Boot space. This can be a deal breaker for many including me
2> Interior space. From the reviews, it looks like the legroom in the backseat isn't all that great which is surprising considering the largest wheelbase of 2600m in the segment. I wonder where all the space has gone considering the boot is also smallest in the segment. Mahindra can learn a thing or two about packaging from the Japs.
3> Dashoboard (minor) - Some parts of the dahsboard do feel tacky and a decade old. I guess one can live with this considering the +ves.
4>SIde profile(minor, subjective) - WHile the car looks handsome from the front, the side profile looks awkward due to chopping of the Tivoli by Mahindra to fit under the 4m rule.

Now, if Mahindra would have gone with the normal size Tivoli (4.2m) without chopping the rear, the cons<1>, <2> and <4> should be resolved and that will make this car a very compeling package - one which I feel can easily lock horns with the Creta/Duster/Kicks segment. May be a XUV400 coming?? I hope so, as it could be a great replacement for my car in 2020.

Last edited by adimicra : 7th February 2019 at 09:19.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:30   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Thanks for the appreciation. Much appreciated. But now that the embargo is off, I can openly say this is a CAPABLE product.
Oh wow..I didnt realise that you were the same gentleman who did the CarToq video. Very nicely done video with good emphasis on salient points. Thanks, and enjoyed watching it!

Yes of course, I think everyone on this thread will be waiting with bated breath for the official TBHP review. Nothing like the TBHP review to get a reality check (with all flaws unabashedly highlighted) when the initial euphoria of a new product is taking the public on a high

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Speaking of which, is there no parcel tray at all? None of the media cars have it, nor is it mentioned in the variant list.
There is one review (if I remember correctly, it is the Motoroids review) where the reviewer points out that there are grooves/ mounting points on the upper part of the boot, which indicates that the production and road ready version sold to customers will indeed have a parcel tray. Looks like the media cars were not provided with any, to ensure that the already smallish boot did not look positively claustrophobic! I certainly hope that they do provide a parcel tray, because otherwise, it looks like something is missing. Parcel trays do bring in some degree of aesthetic finesse in the cabin, apart from their obvious functionality.

Also, you are right. A small family of 2-4 persons may not need a cavernous boot 95% of the time. There are those odd instances when I wished my Swift had a little more boot space, and on those occasions, I make use of whatever spare space is available on the back seat after passengers are seated. In my case, 99% of the time there are only 1 or 2 occupants in the car, so for me, boot space is not a deal breaker at all. In fact, its a moot point as far as I am concerned. The 300 is however definitely not a good fit for larger families travelling with considerable amount of luggage.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th February 2019 at 09:32.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 09:48   #615
BHPian

After watching a whole lot of these reviews coming in, I feel Mahindra have a winner here provided they price it right. If the price point of the base version is under 10 lakhs but if the base version is stripped off some essential features, I can see the car going the new Santro way - all talk but ultimately not a hit.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks