Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2019, 16:09   #661
BHPian

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Notice something in the video reviews: Sometime the DRL is blinking and sometime it's not blinking. Is it a selectable option or changing automatically based on some conditions? ��
Please excuse if it's a newbie kind of question ��
Old 9th February 2019, 16:24   #662
BHPian

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
XUV300 will slot between Brezza/Nexon and the Creta.

If Mahindra actually prices the XUV300 like you said, it won't disturb the sales chart. And to be frank features like heated ORVMs, 4 disc brakes, dual zone climate control, front parking sensors aren't a deal breaker in any sense.
My Punto with only 2 disc brakes feels better and has a better bite when compared to the 4 discs equipped S-Cross.

For me, Mahindra will have to price it aggressively as this segment has well established members in Ecosport, Nexon and Brezza.

Last edited by Waspune : 9th February 2019 at 16:28.
Old 9th February 2019, 17:11   #663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirubhai View Post
Notice something in the video reviews: Sometime the DRL is blinking and sometime it's not blinking. Is it a selectable option or changing automatically based on some conditions? ��
Please excuse if it's a newbie kind of question ��
It is because of the shutter speed of the camera being used to shoot. Not a feature or a selectable option. You could see the same in most of the videos when a DRL or even a music system display is shown.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 17:12   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Got to check the production version of the 300 at a dealer yard, where it was unloaded only yesterday evening.

I wasn't allowed to take pics except 1 of the keyfobs.

Here are my observations of the W8(O) diesel:

- Front looks smart and wide. Not imposing. Front grille obviously inspired by it's elder brother.
- Rear with those uniquely styled tail lamps looks funky. Although the chrome in between seems a bit overdone.
- Side profile is a tad disappointing. Those wheel arch designs are inflated. That's where the 300 looks similar to the KUV.
- Build quality is good. Panel gaps are even and the 300 passed the thumb test.
- Bonnet is long and wide. I suspect that's where half the wheelbase space has gone into.
- Roof rails don't feel functional. Just for aesthetic purposes.
- ORVMs are decently-sized.
- Door handles don't feel premium.
- First shocking bit inside - the white section above up front, housing the conversation mirror, map lights and sunroof controls was completely covered with soot marks and smudged fingerprints. If this is how it looks after the factory guys and the loading/unloading guys touch these plastic parts, I shudder to think what would happen with kids inside and with everyday use. I touched a few of those smudges and the greyish black powdery soot came off in my fingers. The car needed a serious interior detailing session.
- Front seats are adequately cushioned for a well-fed 6-footer like me. I had about 4 fingers of space above my head in my normal sitting position in the front passenger seat. Shoulder room seemed adequate too.
- The section below the central console didn't have enough space to park my iPhone X or my OnePlus 5T. They slid easily into the slot between the bottle holders just ahead of the armrest, though. Also easy to park them on a slot just above the glovebox.
- Speaking of the armrest box which seemed to have limited length and width, no idea why it's a covered one since the front part of the armrest box, just below the armrest, is open!
- Central console ACC section seems like it was lifted from the previous-generation Honda City (2008-2014). The buttons for steering modes, airbags, etc. will seem like red warning lights at first glance.
- Dual Zone ACC works well, and will be an USP for the 300.
- Maybe it's me, but the sunroof seemed like it's a size shorter than the one on the WR-V. For a rear passenger, the visibility of the sky and stars outside from the sunroof is severely limited.
- No rear AC vents is a bummer, specially for Indian summers and with the no tints law in force.
- Well-cushioned headrests at the rear.
- Barely 2 fingers worth of headroom for the rear passengers, if they are as tall as me. Will result in boinks & thuds whenever you drive over a speed-breaker at decent speeds.
- Not sure what utility the wired sections behind the front seats have. They don't stretch out too much to hold a 1 liter flask or a 2 liter water bottle. Maybe just for newspapers and magazines, or an occasional thin blanket fully folded.
- Door sections have plenty of pockets. Plenty of cubbyholes for books, mobiles, water bottles, reading material, knick knacks, etc.
- Biggest disappointment - the boot. My Nexon and EcoSport both hold full-sized suitcases easily (easy fit in my EcoSport and snug fit in my Nexon). This boot won't be able to hold it. Strike off those weekend getaways with your family, if they are all well-fed and you pack a lot.
- Boot floor has 2 adjustable sections, which can help increase the boot depth to a further 20-odd liters. Still inadequate.
- Boot lip is very high. Be prepared to flex those biceps and triceps whenever you put in/take out your luggage.
- No parcel tray provided in the production version either, although the slots are present. Might be provided as an accessory.
- No shark fin antenna. Just the regular long one.
- Legroom at front is at a premium. Rear legroom is just about average. Even with the long wheelbase (half of it eaten up by the engine section), this is a shortcoming of the 300.
- Touch feedback from the HU is very decent. My EcoSport's HU's touch response is much better though.
- The MID display is exhaustive and packs a wallop of information, but the display itself doesn't feel premium. It's similar to the one which Hyundai offers on the Creta SX variant.
- Steering modes didn't feel any different in the stationary car. I wasn't allowed to drive the 300 so will reserve my judgements till I get to drive it.

In short, Mahindra has thrown the kitchen sink into the 300 in terms of features and wow-wow bling factors but practically, the 300 makes best sense for an individual or for a family of 4 doing some heavy daily/monthly running. For those who are looking to move house or for those with big weekend getaway plans, better to get the Marazzo or even the 500 at about a lakh extra.

Pricing will be absolutely critical for the 300's success, I feel.

As for my booking, I shall wait till they allow me an exhaustive TD before I finalise. I am not impressed by the practicality offered by the 300, and I am not one who is easily taken in by dhinchak chamak wow-wow features.

As of now, I am sitting on the fence.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-img_20190209_144755.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Open portion is to allow large devices, like a tab for example. Mentioned in most UK reviews of the Tivoli.
Not practical for Indian conditions specially if a rat or a cockroach enters the cabin area. Also if kids are inside and they try to pry the contents out from that hole!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th February 2019 at 17:27. Reason: added reply to CD.
RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 17:14   #665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sometime the DRL is blinking and sometime it's not blinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
It is because of the shutter speed of the camera being used to shoot. Not a feature or a selectable option.
Above answer is spot on, regarding camera!

That said - the DRLs can be switched off if needed as well - the option is available in the infotainment system. So it is also a selectable option, incase anyone finds the large DRLs - too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
- Speaking of the armrest box which seemed to have limited length and width, no idea why it's a covered one since the front part of the armrest box, just below the armrest, is open!
Open portion is to allow large devices, like a tab for example. Mentioned in most UK reviews of the Tivoli.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th February 2019 at 17:19.
Old 9th February 2019, 18:29   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
It is because of the shutter speed of the camera being used to shoot. Not a feature or a selectable option. You could see the same in most of the videos when a DRL or even a music system display is shown.
Thought the same. But in the same video posted below. It's not blinking at 5:37, but blinking at 7:24

Old 9th February 2019, 18:47   #667
BANNED

Quote:
Thought the same. But in the same video posted below. It's not blinking at 5:37, but blinking at 7:24
See it is blinking not due to any specific configurations at the camera end too. It is happening mostly at some angles and light exposure. So you may see it blinking sometimes and not blinking other times. Both scenarios are possible. It is just because of the camera. You could see the same in other videos too at different time frames.
Old 10th February 2019, 10:18   #668
BHPian

XUV 300 Convertible concept- Render

Old 10th February 2019, 12:24   #669
BHPian

I saw the Aquamarine Blue XUV W 8(O) displayed at the Mahindra dealership yesterday. The sales guy told me that the only differences between the (O) and the W8 are,

1. Black Fabric Seats in the W8 and Cream Faux Leather in the (O)
2. No Sun roof in W8
3 No Front Parking Sensors in W8
4. Black/Steel Alloy Diamond cut wheels in (O), Full Silver Steel Alloy wheels in W8
5. 7 Airbags in the (O) and only the front 2 in the W8

My observations are
1. The rear seat space is very generous after adjusting the driver’s seat to my comfort (Height 5’11”). I presently drive the 4 m TUV300. I found the rear seat angle and the arm rest comparable to any full length spacious sedan. I can say the overall seating comfort is as good as a full length sedan offered in a 4 m compact easy to park CSUV.

2. This seating space compromises the Boot space. Any journey beyond the regular city use, would require a rear seat fold or a Luggage rack. So the compromise would be better sitting comfort in both rows during 90% regular use in city as compared to accommodating Luggage (Seat fold/Luggage Rack) during 10% of time on longer drives.

3. Also, the 60-40 seat fold is the other way around, ie. 40-60 , if folded, the 3rd passenger sits on the Driver side as compared to other comparable CSUV’s. As shown in the pictures below,

XUV300 40-60 Rear seat fold
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0-xuv300-4060.jpg

EcoSport 60-40 Rear seat fold
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0-ecosport-6040.jpg

Brezza 60-40 Rear seat fold
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0-brezza-6040.jpg

Nexon 60-40 Rear seat fold
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0-nexon-6040.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 11th February 2019 at 08:14. Reason: Attaching missing images
Sirvoicar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 18:57   #670
BHPian

Autocar breaks Limca book of records with XUV300 in Rann of Kutch.
The video is well made but it seems to be sponsored by Mahindra though I could be wrong here.
In that case Autocar should have put the disclaimer.

Interestingly another video from car and bike but this one clearly mentions that the video is sponsored.

Last edited by born_free : 11th February 2019 at 19:07.
born_free is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:00   #671
BHPian

Came across this W8 variant walk-around video. Single tone alloys look nice and black upholstery can be seen from outside.

HarshGtR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:00   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Autocar breaks Limca book of records with XUV300 in Rann of Kutch.
The video is well made but it seems to be sponsored by Mahindra though I could be wrong here.
In that case Autocar should have put the disclaimer.
Firstly, if something's has never been attempted before, how can it be a "record" of any sort!? Rather silly of M&M & Autocar both, to put it mildly.

The driver says animals can cross and even visibility is an issue! I ask HOW? & which animal is going to be running across a plain salt flat desert while not being visible!? Weird.

0 for creativity to AutoCar. They could've simply disclaimed its a sponsored promotional video if M&M was associated.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:43   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Came across this W8 variant walk-around video. Single tone alloys look nice and black upholstery can be seen from outside.

https://Youtu.be/rVvHJNwM6rU
As per the below W6 walk-around it's also having black seat covers.. I think,only the W8(O) will have white seat covers.

nirubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 21:10   #674
BHPian

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-screenshot_20190211213737_chrome.jpg

Seven Features Hyundai Creta Doesn’t have

1. Seven Airbags

2. Disc brakes on four wheels

3. Heated ORVMs

4. TPMS

5. Dual Zone climate control system

6. Front parking sensors

7. Smart Steer

Further Details
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 21:18   #675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Seven Features Hyundai Creta Doesn’t have
Doesn't matter - just makes it a premium sub-4m SUV, not a Creta rival.

Mahindra better not have any thoughts of pricing this one closer to Creta, no matter how feature loaded it is!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks