Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2019, 14:49   #976
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
You saw TSB on 3rd March at dealer end, so I am assuming Mahindra knew about the issue and necessary changes by launch date; there would be very few customer vehicles with old shock absorbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Sriram Pasupathi for sending this information in.

"I was told that the first batch of vehicles with VIN K2A (January 2019) had the rear shock absorber issue and they had fixed it for 4 cars before delivery, and one car was recalled after delivery. Other vehicles haven't been affected. When I went for a test drive on February 15 in Hyderabad, I wasn't allowed a test drive since the vehicles present were being taken for PDI since they wanted to "change some rear dampers". Looking back, I just realized that they were probably fixing it for the same issue. From what I understand, all the delivered cars have been fixed and positively, none of the cars on road have got this issue now."
So, my assumption turns out to be true. Now, I must start assuming about my bank balance.

On the serious note, I feel really good that Mahindra detected and addressed the situation so quickly. My heart goes out to the engineers. I am interested to know the defect that caused this issue. May be GTO can dig out some information from Mahindra.
Old 8th March 2019, 15:20   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if anyone has attempted to measure the 0-100 times of the XUV3OO Diesel?

The Ecosport TDCI does it in about 12.8 seconds, the Nexon Diesel in about 13.8 seconds, and the Creta 1.6 CRDI in 10.6 seconds.

Last edited by SDP : 9th March 2019 at 23:28. Reason: XUV -> XUV3OO
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 15:27   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Ecosport TDCI does it in about 12.8 seconds, the Nexon Diesel in about 13.8 seconds, and the Creta 1.6 CRDI in 10.6 seconds.
There was one among the initial lot of review videos (I forget which one) on YouTube which measured the 0-100 timings at around roughly 12.5 to 13 seconds. I would expect it to be in the same ball park as the Ecosport.
Old 10th March 2019, 11:02   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Didn’t anyone notice this before GTO’s feedback?
Well mine was a short TD in a typical South Delhi weekday traffic and we didn't even reach 90 kmph to be honest! Overall the performance didn't leave me with any feeling at all. It didn't inspire any confidence and it didn't command any awe as well. It was just 'meh'.

So I went ahead and bought a slightly used S-cross 1.6 Alpha that I had already tried for a longer and more exhaustive TD. And now even the shortest of rides have moments that leave me grinning ear to ear! Since it's the Alpha, there is no dearth of features as well! But more on that on a separate post
Gagzie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 10:24   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
We have the XUV300 diesel on test at the moment. After the disappointment of last week (petrol car with faulty shock absorbers), I was hoping for a better performance from this one. Here's a short report on the ride and handling.
Hi, when can we have the official review of XUV300 published on the website? I was planning to book the car but backed off for a while and will decide once the official review is posted.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th March 2019 at 04:14. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 11th March 2019, 18:27   #981
BHPian

Autocar reviews the petrol XUV300

P.S: A refreshingly balanced review (not comparable to our standards) for once from Autocar. This was the first time I've seen a review by Mr Sergius Baretto, following him to see if he keeps this up.

Last edited by Mukund : 11th March 2019 at 18:34. Reason: Adding footnote
Old 11th March 2019, 19:49   #982
Senior - BHPian

Following GTO's initial impressions on the Petrol, I thought of reviewing comments on UK sites about the Saangyong Tivoli! This might be unrelated as both cars could have varying set-ups for completely different market requirements, but what is startling tough is the same questions raised about the Tivoli's poise at high speeds.

Quote:

WHATCAR
Ride: On anything other than a billiard table-smooth road, you’ll find the Tivoli’s ride is bumpy and unsettled. It always fidgets, even over minor surface imperfections, but deep potholes cause the biggest issue, jarring you with a large thud through the cabin. On open roads with a series of dips and crests there’s quite a lot of suspension float due to the poor damping, particularly from the rear of the car.

Handling: While the handling is safe and secure, the Tivoli isn’t as sure-footed on the road as a Kia Soul. There’s more body roll in bends and not as much grip. Adopt even a remotely enthusiastic driving style around corners and you’ll find the front tyres wash wide quite easily.
https://www.whatcar.com/ssangyong/ti...04/on-the-road

Quote:

Autocar UK

To drive, the car lacks the dynamic sophistication of some of its European rivals, but does enough not to disgrace itself. The car’s ride is busy, and occasionally thumpy and hollow feeling. It’s not as comfortable or fluent over bumps as some of the European crossovers the car seeks to undercut, and neither does it handle with much vigour. Body control’s decent, but grip and agility levels are modest on the 16in rims of the SE. The car’s steering is consistent and friction-free, but devoid of feedback.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ssangyong/tivoli

Familiar comments from an Aussie site as well:

Quote:

CarAdvice AU

Back to what’s on offer for now: Handling is fine, up to a point. While it steers easily and relatively well, higher-speed progress on twisty roads reveals a disposition for body roll and understeer. A driver’s car it is not. But if you’re punting around town and through traffic, it’s a fairly painless affair.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/709252/...tivoli-review/

I think it's in the inherent nature of the platform to prioritise low speed comfort over high speed dynamics. Considering the predominantly urban clientele for the Tivoli/300, the priorities are set right for the product with most owners rarely going to push this car to it's handling limits.
shortbread is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 20:50   #983
BANNED

Are the people who have driven petrol and diesel versions saying that both behave differently on rough roads and / or at high speeds??
Old 12th March 2019, 19:28   #984
Senior - BHPian

My family is looking for a compact vehicle for city runabouts.

Since we are a family of tall people and elder parents who cannot crouch to get in a hatchback, we zeroed in on the 4 compact UVs as mentioned below. We were only looking at petrol options since the daily use will not be more than 10 kms on an average. Also, my brother does not prefer to drive a stick, so we needed an A/T.

1. Ford Ecosport - Rejected due to the severely limited rear legroom

2. Maruti Brezza - Very basic interiors and again limited rear legroom. No petrol option either.

3. XUV300 - Test drove the petrol W8 (O) variant. To be honest, the car really surpassed my expectations and feels very un-Mahindra like, which is good. The motor was really refined, general NVH inside the cabin was excellent, so is the rear seat legroom. Boot space was decent enough for our use. Most importantly, the exterior and interior felt premium, except a few bits here and there. The engine has no lag to speak of, the gear box is really smooth to use. Bump absorption was good too within city speeds and it had class leading features to boast about.

4. Nexon - This car impressed me more inside the showroom. XUV looked classy and this looked funky. Had great space in the rear, seat height was perfect for my family and the car had all the "necessary" features they needed. Drove the petrol XZA+ and honestly I was not impressed. Firstly, the car is not even remotely as refined as the XUV. The AMT is not as fun to drive as a regular torque converter. The gearshifts are quite pronounced under hard acceleration. There is a very noticeable lag. The suspension also felt stiffer as compared to the XUV.

Overall, the XUV is a much better car as compared to the Nexon.

B-U-T, we had to consider the most important aspect - Pricing. The on-road prices were as below:

Nexon XZA+ Dual Tone (A/T) - 11,55,456 INR
XUV3OO W8 (O) Dual Tone (Manual) - 14,03,490 INR
That is a huge difference of 2.5 Lacs.

Now, I agree the XUV is very well specced, but even if I check the prices for the W8 variant, there is a difference of 85K.

What do I get in this 85K over the Nexon?
  • Cruise Control
  • Dual Zone Climate Control
  • Automatic headlights and wipers
The closely priced variant to the Nexon XZ+ (Manual) is the XUV300's W6. And what does the user miss out in the XUV?

Alloy wheels
DRLs
Height adjustable driver's seat
Rear Seat armrest
Automatic AC
Keyless Entry
Push Button Start
Android Auto/Apple Carplay
Rear Sensors
Rear Camera
Projector Headlamps
Front and rear fog lamps
Rear Wiper

To summarize, I think the XUV is a better car. But that comes at a premium pricing (even considering there is no A/T yet). Also, it has no rear AC vents like the Nexon.

The Nexon surely seems more VFM at this moment. Yes, there are a few drawbacks, but you spend less too.

For someone who is flexible with their budget, I think the XUV3OO is a great choice in the compact UV market now.

For my family, it will be the Nexon and we will be booking a XZA+ soon.
raj_5004 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 20:10   #985
BHPian

Being the owner of an XUV 500, the launch of the XUV 300 piqued my curiosity. Having some time on a Sunday, I test drove both the Petrol and Diesel versions of the XUV 300.

I found the Petrol engine perfectly acceptable for a city run around. The Diesel version was noisier. The seating position suited me fine (and I'm the average height for an Indian). The ride (and I made sure to throw it into a few potholes and over some road bumps) was quite acceptable for a vehicle in this class and of this size. The interior seating space was adequate for ordinarily sized human beings. The boot space (same for both) is limited, but it's a compromise I'd be willing to live with for an in city runner. The level of fit, finish, and quality felt premium compared to the competitors of this vehicle (EcoSport, Creta, Brezza). Loved the use of space and the little thought out cubby holes, and things like a USB port and a cigarette lighter port. The tech that comes with the W8(O) was at a level higher than the XUV 500 I already own (for example the XUV 5000 does not have an auto-dimming rearview mirror - one of my pet peeves). The AC seemed to have a good throw and seemed to cool the car quickly and adequately (granted you have to run it on high for a little while, but the test was also on a rather hot mid-afternoon in Bangalore). Yes, its a little more expensive, but frankly it does seem to offer a whole bunch of bells and whistles that seem to make the price much more palatable.

It's difficult to predict if this one's a winner for Mahindra, but it's (the petrol version) certainly a package that I'd consider acquiring rather seriously (if the financing (both by the bank and the home ministry) works out).
Warlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:58   #986
BHPian

India’s FASTEST sub-4 meter SUV

Maruti Brezza vs Ford Ecosport vs Tata Nexon
vs Mahindra XUV300

In this test of the fastest diesel sub-4 meter SUV to get from 0-100 km/h, the Ecosport bests the likes of Tata Nexon, Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza and Mahindra XUV300.

Ecosport-- 12.13 secs
XUV300--- 12.78 secs
Nexon----- 13.30 secs
Brezza----- 13.33 secs

Quote:
However, one thing to be noted here is that these are not official figures but just acceleration tests done in real life conditions to give you a fair bit of idea
Source: Cartoq

Last edited by JS Kwt : 13th March 2019 at 14:24.
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 14:24   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
3. XUV300 - Test drove the petrol W8 (O) variant...

4. Nexon - Drove the petrol XZA+ and honestly I was not impressed.
Overall, the XUV is a much better car as compared to the Nexon.
All the best for your purchase

BTW did you test drive the Nexon petrol MT? Am sure that will be a better comparison to XUV3OO petrol MT. AMTs are anyways known to be not-so-smooth, hence comparing that to a MT XUV won't give the true picture. Agreed XUV3OO looks premium inside out but the pricing just made Nexon look even more VFM. It doesnt look to pose any threat to Nexon's current numbers.

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th March 2019 at 14:26.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 16:27   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
BTW did you test drive the Nexon petrol MT? Am sure that will be a better comparison to XUV3OO petrol MT. AMTs are anyways known to be not-so-smooth, hence comparing that to a MT XUV won't give the true picture. Agreed XUV3OO looks premium inside out but the pricing just made Nexon look even more VFM. It doesnt look to pose any threat to Nexon's current numbers.
Since my family was keen on the A/T only, we did not drive the Nexon M/T. Even our other cars - the Hexa and Civic are automatics.

Surely, I feel the M/T Nexon would be better than the AMT (cheaper too), but this car is primarily for city use and the convenience of the Automatic (even the crappy AMT) will be appreciated by them.

If the XUV3OO was priced close to the Nexon, I would have been confused as my heart would vote for a better car sacrificing the A/T option. But as you said, the pricing factor just made our decision simpler.
Old 13th March 2019, 16:53   #989
BHPian

Today I got a chance to test drive the petrol XUV 300(top-end variant) that they had brought to our company. Here are my observations during the test drive:
The engine cranked up a minor growl and settled around 950 RPM while idling with minor fluctuations(compressor kicking in?). The seats were really comfortable and it was easy to find out an ideal driving position.
As soon as I started driving, it felt like I was driving a much bigger car (credits to the long hood and added width). What I liked the most was the turbocharged engine with that sweet turbo whining at higher RPMs. It pulls cleanly without much hesitation and feels like I am driving a light car. Yes there is some lag at lower RPMs and the gear lever was dancing wildly at these RPMs.

The ride was compliant over bad patches and small undulations but, was bouncy over cement roads. My colleagues who were sitting in the rear seat asked me down to slow down on the cement roads since they were literally thrown around everywhere at the back.

The only gripe was the steering, it was very loose to my liking and doesn't give the confidence inspiring feel at high speeds.(I went up to 90kph). At low speeds it is very light and easy to perform tight maneuvers. However at high speeds, it doesn't weigh up much and feels disconnected for most of the time.

Summing up all my observations, I think this will serve as an all-rounded car for a small family of 3-4 people and is definitely worth spending the extra bucks that we felt is more for this segment.
Ragasruoban is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:38   #990
BHPian

Saw a XUV 300 on the road today and to be honest, the back seems quite out of place when compared with the rest of the car. I feel that Mahindra's designers get the chopping and redesign job right. Otherwise the car looked quite good. However, I still find the original Tivoli design better than this redesign.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks