Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2019, 10:13   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The company is merely trying their luck and testing the waters to see if the Indian market is willing to shell out big bucks at a product which is projected at having many first in class features.
My opinion is from my experience of working with similar disasters in the past. The lack of boot space is also a premium, what is the use of so many airbags when the car cannot carry their luggage?
Old 20th March 2019, 10:24   #1022
BHPian

Can it be that the pricing was influenced by the Mahindra-Ford alliance? With Mahindra opening up its showroom space for Ford vehicles, pricing the XUV3oo soberly would have probably negated any chance of a Ecosport ever rolling out of the same Mahindra showroom selling the XUV. With the current pricing, the customer will be in two minds.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:38   #1023
BHPian

Mahindra did what TATA did with the Aria. It was bound to happen since every manufacturer keeps testing their limits with respect to pricing. The art is to hit the bull's eye regularly. Mahindra usually introduces their vehicles with an introductory price and slowly push it. So I am concerned that if they followed that approach the XUV300 in this package will be difficult to discount too much. This means they will slowly delete features and introduce a new base model to save face. Will it work? I don't think so.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 11:05   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
I've spotted almost 5 XUV300s in Nashik. Some of them were having a temporary registration number and some had permanent number. Yes, they belonged to customers. I've seen white, silver and black so far and all of them had LED DRLs which means people are buying top two variants. I think XUV300 will go the Creta way, premium pricing but people will buy it anyway for the quality it has to offer.
Even I have seen 3 XUVs in the past 5 days and across 3 different cities, all of them top end models. But then I have also seen 2 Kicks in the same time period. Every new model has initial acceptance. So we have to wait some more time to see if we are consistently seeing these models.

BTW, I felt the GC below the engine area of the XUV 300 felt pretty low. Overall it looked more like a hatchback than a CSUV.
Old 20th March 2019, 15:08   #1025
BHPian

This is Overdrives verdict, "Mahindra has made multiple attempts in the sub-four meter space, and the XUV300 is clearly their best attempt yet. But they can do better. On the points table, it doesn't quite shake up the competition, because factors like the low fuel economy, unnerving high speed stability and the high price tag go against it."
John is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:56   #1026
BHPian

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Hey Folks,

Is 83kms on the ODO during PDI acceptable to take the car? I've booked a w8(o) and rejected one car on pdi since it was 111kms on the odo and a jan car. The current one they have allocated to me has just landed in the stockyard (it's a March VIN) and upon inspection I found the odo to be 83 kms. The reason cited is that there was testing done on the car while at the plant.
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:09   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post
Hey Folks,

Is 83kms on the ODO during PDI acceptable to take the car? I've booked a w8(o) and rejected one car on pdi since it was 111kms on the odo and a jan car. The current one they have allocated to me has just landed in the stockyard (it's a March VIN) and upon inspection I found the odo to be 83 kms. The reason cited is that there was testing done on the car while at the plant.
83 kms is a bit too much I would say. And the production vehicle being tested, I don't understand why. Acceptable would be around 20-40 kms.
Old 22nd March 2019, 18:16   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post
Hey Folks,

Is 83kms on the ODO during PDI acceptable to take the car? I've booked a w8(o) and rejected one car on pdi since it was 111kms on the odo and a jan car.
Unless there is a sound explanation provided as to why the odometer reading is that high, and you are ok with that reason, you should probably walk away. I did my PDI today (not XUV though) and the odometer reading was 10 kms. In my reckoning, anything up to 50 kms should be acceptable, but beyond that would not be ok for me.
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:23   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless there is a sound explanation provided as to why the odometer reading is that high, and you are ok with that reason, you should probably walk away. I did my PDI today (not XUV though) and the odometer reading was 10 kms. In my reckoning, anything up to 50 kms should be acceptable, but beyond that would not be ok for me.

Would be very curious to know which one you finally zeroed in on. From few of your posts I have read in various threads, there were shortcomings of some sort in the cars you checked out.

Will keep a lookout for your post on the new car.

Last edited by tharian : 22nd March 2019 at 19:24.
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:33   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Would be very curious to know which one you finally zeroed in on. From few of your posts I have read in various threads, there were shortcomings of some sort in the cars you checked out.

Will keep a lookout for your post on the new car.
Long story mate. But yes, I was oscillating between the Ecosport and the City for a few months. The heart was for the City, but certain practical considerations made it imperative for me to look at compact SUVs. Did also consider the Aspire for a short while but it didn't find favour with folks at home. The launch of the XUV 300 threw in a dark horse into the mix, but ended up disappointed with the price in Bangalore, though liked the car overall.

Finally after several months of test drives etc , the heart won over the head and I went ahead and booked the City V MT iVTEC, and will be taking delivery shortly. Very different outcome from what I started off considering, but there you have it. In the midst of all this I realised that I am a super picky car shopper, but then aren't we all!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd March 2019 at 19:38.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:19   #1031
BHPian

Looking at the past few pages, the general trend is that the car is overpriced. Comparing the top end of both ecosport and XUV300, it seems the price is justified for the features offered. Comparing only those two cars, here's how I see it:

Ecosport:
+ves
1. Driving experience is best in its class
2. Boot space is larger than XUV (~350 ltrs vs 260)
3. Better music system (at least the screen portion, I couldn't find that much difference in sound quality)
4. Other features which I don't really need such as
- charger for rear passenger
- 2 inputs for android auto
-ves
1. 2nd row is for 2 people only on long drives

XUV300:
+ves
1. More powerful engine
2. 3 people can sit in comfort in 2nd row.
3. 1 extra airbag
4. 4 disc brakes (but I found ecosport's braking to be good enough)
5. Lots of other features which I don't really need:
- dual zone climate control
- heated mirrors
-ves
1. Smaller boot space

Considering the prices (11.89 for ecosport vs 11.99 for XUV300), I think the pricing is fair. Of course, ecosport in an established product and XUV should have undercut it. But looking at the features, it is ok.
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:56   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
XUV300:
+ves
1. More powerful engine
2. 3 people can sit in comfort in 2nd row.
3. 1 extra airbag
4. 4 disc brakes (but I found ecosport's braking to be good enough)
5. Lots of other features which I don't really need:
- dual zone climate control
- heated mirrors
Engine in the Ecosport is way more drivable. XUV 300 engine starts responding only post 2000RPM, whereas, the Ecosport starts from 1400-1500 RPM and builds power linearly. Referring to the diesel engines of both cars here. For the typical city slicker profile, the Ecosport is a much better option. Absence of rear disc brakes in Ecosport did not make any real world difference when I drove both. Braking performance is pretty decent in both cars. On the highway though, the XUV might perform better, but only time will tell.

Other good to have features are not, like you said, must haves or deal breakers. Ecosport is still the better car and my pick amongst the two.

The main points of difference where I felt the XUV300 has a significant edge over the Ecosport are: (1) the better ride quality of the Mahindra, absorbs bumps much better than the Ecosport, and (2) softer clutch as compared to the Ecosport, whose clutch really hardens after a point, making it challenging to drive in high traffic conditions.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 14:12   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the past few pages, the general trend is that the car is overpriced. Comparing the top end of both ecosport and XUV300, it seems the price is justified for the features offered. Comparing only those two cars, here's how I see it:
Which models are you comparing? Ecosport diesel Taitanium+ is 11.09 (ex-showroom) while XUV 300 w8(O) is 11.99 lakhs (ex-showroom) according to cardekho. That is a difference of 90,000. Are you comparing again the S? If yes, then although the price may be fair, how many ecosport S and Signature are being sold? The XUV should also sell along the same lines. The problem with XUV is not only the botched pricing, it is also botched feature distribution. W8 is too stripped down and it does not make sense compared to ecosport titanium or Nexon XZ+. Hence, the impression of it being overpriced.

Last edited by ashlil : 25th March 2019 at 14:13.
Old 25th March 2019, 14:26   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Engine in the Ecosport is way more drivable. XUV 300 engine starts responding only post 2000RPM, whereas, the Ecosport starts from 1400-1500 RPM and builds power linearly. ...
I'm a very sedate driver. I felt the drivability of XUV was good enough. The only decision maker for me is rear seat vs. boot space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Which models are you comparing? Ecosport diesel Taitanium+ is 11.09 (ex-showroom) while XUV 300 w8(O) is 11.99 lakhs (ex-showroom) according to cardekho. That is a difference of 90,000. Are you comparing again the S? ...
Yes, I'm comparing ecosport S vs XUV300 W8(O). The sole variant decider for me was safety. Only the S variant has 6 airbags, doesn't it? Same with W8(O) (7 in this case). I haven't really compared the other features.
Old 25th March 2019, 14:29   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I'm comparing ecosport S vs XUV300 W8(O). The sole variant decider for me was safety. Only the S variant has 6 airbags, doesn't it? Same with W8(O) (7 in this case). I haven't really compared the other features.
The Titanium+ gets 6 airbags. The S variant gets the Sunroof and some more additional aesthetic changes. For your comparison, the Titanium+ makes sense unless you want the sunroof as well.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed