Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2019, 17:23   #481
BHPian

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-screenshot_2019012817205057.png
Boot space of 257ltr. Mahindra focussed mainly on rear legroom
oops is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 17:38   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
Boot space of 257ltr. Mahindra focussed mainly on rear legroom
There is something not right here. Could it be the way the boot space (volume) is measured? i20 has 285 ltr boot and the one in the XUV300 certainly looks as big or even slightly bigger in the pictures.
Old 28th January 2019, 17:53   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
There is something not right here. Could it be the way the boot space (volume) is measured? i20 has 285 ltr boot and the one in the XUV300 certainly looks as big or even slightly bigger in the pictures.
Boot reported numbers from different manufacturers are often misleading as some include the spare wheel space in the boot space figure while many others don't include the spare wheel space. I suspect that Mahindra's is without the spare wheel space while i20's could be with the spare wheel space. (at least in Creta I have checked this physically and they are including the spare wheel space in the figure). Maruti also includes the Spare wheel space - I checked the S-Cross boot myself and the actual measurements were much smaller than the company claimed. The only way to confirm is to actually measure the boot dimensions and calculate roughly! The Ecosport's boot is also fully usable as the spare is outside . Same is the case with other cars like the Kicks and the Captur.

257 L still seems quite low and will limit the XUV300's usage to city use and people will not be able to carry lots of baggage for outstation trips! This is definitely a fly in the soup for an overall promising car! In the sub 4M segment the biggest boot I have seen is that of the WR-V ! If only they started offering that with the CVT transmission in Diesel (which they already have in the Amaze) there would be many more customers lining up for that car!

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th January 2019 at 17:57.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 18:14   #484
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Yes, first category is also possible. However, I haven't come across a vehicle with this configuration.

Reading above comments from the official review, in my opinion, Marazzo doesn't have a dedicated compressor for rear AC, though the AC system can be turned ON from Rear.

Also, with the 1.5L engine, Mahindra has opted to cut-off the compressor during acceleration. So, it is unlikely that a second compressor would have been provided.
Off topic, but I have not heard of cars with 2 compressors. As per my understanding, for a rear AC, it is typically an additional evaporator coil.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 22:46   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to a birdie.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-img20190128wa0017ww.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 23:08   #486
BHPian

Thanks for the training PPT points, RavenAvi. Seems like their feature bets are on dual climate zones and front parking sensors apart from the additional knee airbag. Higher torque, if enjoyable may make a difference though.

Still, if the vehicle is as good an all-rounder as it sounds, may sell 3-5 K units, though at least half of that could as well be by cannibalizing other Mahindra models in the price range.

Last edited by SDP : 29th January 2019 at 06:58. Reason: Minor formating change
Old 29th January 2019, 07:26   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra's XUV 3OO Fuel efficiency revealed,

Quote:
On the ARAI cycle, the petrol version of the Mahindra XUV300 is as efficient as its rivals, while the diesel version isn’t quite as frugal as other diesel SUVs – but it boasts a significant power advantage.
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-1.jpg

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th January 2019 at 07:55.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 10:33   #488
BHPian

Happened to see a XUV300 at Forum Sujana Mall in Hyderabad over the week. Some observations/Experiences
  • The Design is in such a way that, it doesn't give you a feeling of sub 4 meter car. (From almost all the angles)
  • The front seats are really comfortable with lot of bolstering (Especially back and shoulder)
  • Rear seat can accommodate 3 adults. (Much better than Ecosport)
  • The boot space appeared to be more than Ecosport/Nexon. The design of the loading bay could be a problem for people as it is carved in.
  • The stance of the car really give a mass look (Both from rear and front)

If Mahindra price it well, I am sure that it will sell like hot cakes (Have a data point also for this, in the Mall both New WagonR and XUV300 were parked side by side and Maruti area spotted a deserted look and Mahindra stall was overflowing)

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th January 2019 at 10:46. Reason: Fixed typo
anumod is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 11:10   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Yes, first category is also possible. However, I haven't come across a vehicle with this configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Off topic, but I have not heard of cars with 2 compressors. As per my understanding, for a rear AC, it is typically an additional evaporator coil.
Yes, even I haven't. I just accepted BHPian PYSO's suggestion as it is technically possible.

However, in such a case, the secondary compressor would most likely be an integrated electric motor - compressor unit (like in EVs) rather than direct belt drive from engine. I wonder which vehicle may require such a configuration for a rear AC ? vanity vans ?
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 14:12   #490
BHPian

Harbir Automobiles the Mahindra Dealer in Chandigarh sent a message that the XUV 3OO is on display in their showroom. Went there and checked and noticed the following points:
  • Ample room in cabin.
  • Steering Modes.
  • Start Stop- Hybrid
  • Sunroof
  • Acres of Legroom in the 2nd Row
  • Engine Looks Powerful
  • Body Panels Quality is quite Good.
  • Paint Quality is Decent
  • All Disc Brake Setup
  • -------------Now the Negatives----------------
  • Boot Space. This is the smallest boot I have ever seen. Even going by the Compact SUV standards. You cannot even put 2 full size bags/suitcase in it.
  • No backseat pockets.
  • Beige Interiors. Dirt Magnets.
  • Quality of Switches steering mounted controls. Especially steering controls look flimsy.
  • Average Headroom
  • Small cup Holders
  • No Power charging outlet inside the armrest.
  • No Adjustment for the Armrest.
  • No rubber seal inside the sunroof.
  • No Rear AC. It is required as the rear seats are quite back.
I was ready to book but then I saw the boot. The xuv 3OO can be used for city purposes only. You cannot carry luggage for the weekend trip for the family. I was thinking that my search for an SUV has ended when it was announced but after seeing in person, it has started again.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-20190129_122621.jpg  

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-20190129_122627.jpg  

Last edited by sunilsoft : 29th January 2019 at 14:16. Reason: Additional Image Added
sunilsoft is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 14:32   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
I was ready to book but then I saw the boot. The xuv 3OO can be used for city purposes only. You cannot carry luggage for the weekend trip for the family. I was thinking that my search for an SUV has ended when it was announced but after seeing in person, it has started again.
You really seem to like the car. If the boot space is the only major niggle, please consider a pair of roof rack bars and a cargo box. Should set you back by 30-40k INR for Thule.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-71zwgewczpl._sl1500_.jpg  

Old 29th January 2019, 18:18   #492
Senior - BHPian

You echo my thoughts. The fully loaded car with all the features south of 15 lakhs is what I needed and felt this one was perfect !!

I was sceptical about the boot However expected it to be at least 350ltr. This size is almost same as that of the new ertiga (which even has extra row of seat)

Sadly, I need to drop this one from my list because this seems to be only suited for city runs or small family who have to end up folding the rear seat during long trips
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 01:18   #493
Senior - BHPian

Spotted two XUV3OOs near Bhilai(Chattisgarh) monday evening.

Was on my way from Raipur to Bhilai. Couldn't click pictures as I was trying to peek into the interior, which was partially camouflaged. The car doesn't look too tall in flesh. Somehow front felt Verito-ish(just the silhouette).

But then XUV 3OO is already showcased. Why the camouflage? I guess it was the auto variant. Couldn't see clearly as it was dark already ( around 8PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to a birdie.
Believe you're from Chattisgarh? Any idea on these test mules?

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th January 2019 at 01:25.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:39   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Yes this is quite a major shortcoming in a car which is otherwise very well loaded with features. But this being a sub 4-m car Mahindra had to compromise on the boot size. If they had brought the original Tivoli (which is around 4.3m) the boot space would also be good. I hope Mahindra also launch the full size Tivoli along with a diesel auto as that will address this problem. But that would fall in the higher tax slab to would increase the price substantially.
if a large boot space is a key criteria for you (as it is for me too!) Do check out the Nissan kicks and you will be pleasantly surprised by the actual boot space. The boot space in that can accommodate 3 full size suitcases and 2 small ones and is good for long weekend outings. I am somehow spoiled by my Laura's humongous boot and just not able to find any car to fit in the same shoes!
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 08:25   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

I am starting to like what I see. Strong 300 NM torque should make this one a breeze to drive. With no rear spare wheel it should be even easier to monevour and park in the city than the Ecosport.

I hope they price the W8(O) at 9.99 Lacs all India. That would be a major landmark for this segment. I am looking to replace my 5.5 year old Ecosport TDCI Titanium (O) top end which has been trouble free except a couple of rattles and is hard to fault, but has become a bit boring after all these years. Plus, I can't stand the un-solvable instrument cluster rattle any more. But it is so loaded with features that it has been tough to find a replacement in the same 10-12 Lac on-road price segment it cost in 2013, which can match all the safety and comfort features the Ecosport has.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 30th January 2019 at 08:28.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks