Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 12:52   #631
BHPian

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

How does the dual zone climate control work? So the driver side vents will throw cooled air at one temperature and the passenger side at another temperature? Even if that happens, then won't the temperature inside the cabin average out after a while?
Old 7th February 2019, 13:30   #632
BHPian

Last evening I saw a Petrol XUV at Koncept Mahindra Noida . Here are few pics of Engine Bay. Silent engine when Ignition ON. As per driver it is really powerful and fun to drive car. Seems like getting ready for launch event and yes there are notches for Parcel tray with very little boot space.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-img_20190206_183904.jpg  

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-img_20190206_183845.jpg  

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-img_20190206_183922.jpg  

Joy73US is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 13:38   #633
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Same reason why Ecosport is priced 50% higher than the Freestyle for the top models too - market positioning of raised hatchbacks as against the more crossover'ish hatchbacks - though the capabilities of both may fundamentally be the same.

Freestyle fights a tough battle, in a segment where the market won't pay a premium over a Figo, just because the way it looks (as a segment in general) kills the desirability. Creta over i20 Active is another example with an even more premium positioning.
Creta beats i20 active in everything you can think of. Bigger engines, tyres, ground clearance, features, build quality, space, etc.

EcoSport also beats freestyle by a wide margin - tyres, rear seat recline, rear seat 60:40, build quality, suspension, infotainment system, rear ac vents, etc etc.

I think I should rephrase my original post, in the light of what you have said.

The point I was trying to make is that xuv 300 is very hatchback-ish in practicality, utility - low ground clearance, low rear seat space, no rear seat recline, no rear ac vents, low boot space, etc. (The same can't be said of EcoSport or creta). Ofcourse the xuv 300 has its strong points - but that is mostly on the performance, design, safety side. And that is a combination that bears a lot of resemblance to the ford freestyle.

Or to put it differently, there is very little about creta or EcoSport that is strictly hatchback-ish. But there are many things about xuv 300 that is frankly hatchback-ish.

Last edited by PYSO : 7th February 2019 at 13:50.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 13:55   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post

How could I justify paying 50% more for the xuv 300? Of course there are some extra features like dual zone climate control, heated orvms, etc. But the freestyle also comes with really cool tech like anti rollover protection, Instantaneous fuel efficiency, etc.
Have the prices been announced?

Also M&M are good at the art of 'festival' offers! Give it a few months and there will be a killer deal on the table.
Old 7th February 2019, 14:08   #635
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Have the prices been announced?

Also M&M are good at the art of 'festival' offers! Give it a few months and there will be a killer deal on the table.

No, the prices have not been announced. Based my post on the speculated price range of 8-12 lakhs ex showroom.
Old 7th February 2019, 14:17   #636
A M
BHPian

Having had a look at the XUV in person, I think it is more of a Scross rival than an Ecosport if only the stance is considered and not the length.

I wish Mahindra had brought in the full-length Tivoli and pitched it against Scross and Creta. That would have been a perfect practical vehicle.

This version is losing out on the boot space big time to be even considered by many families which otherwise is a very well packaged vehicle.
A M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 14:48   #637
BHPian

Quote:
No, the prices have not been announced. Based my post on the speculated price range of 8-12 lakhs ex showroom.

In a head to head comparison with Nexon petrol base variant, why should a customer pay higher for this car?
Old 7th February 2019, 15:21   #638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EcoSport also beats freestyle by a wide margin - tyres, rear seat recline, rear seat 60:40, build quality, suspension, infotainment system, rear ac vents, etc etc.

The point I was trying to make is that xuv 300 is very hatchback-ish in practicality, utility - low ground clearance, low rear seat space, no rear seat recline, no rear ac vents, low boot space, etc.
I get your point from the utility POV - But below are my views of just having seen the car on display (Test drive pending).

Regarding the rear seat - it is a much better space to be than Ecosport. I feel claustrophobic in the rear of the Ecosport with small windows, less space and dark interiors. XUV 3OO does much better, especially in terms of the width of the rear seat. Boot space is a valid concern, so is the absence of rear a/c vents if that is a priority.

Will anyways update post a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
In a head to head comparison with Nexon petrol base variant, why should a customer pay higher for this car?
Nexon XE is barebones - No infotainment, manual ORVMs, no remote tailgate release, no body coloured mirrors or door handles etc.

XUV 3OO W4 is comparable in features to Nexon XM variant.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 15:39   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Nexon XE is barebones - No infotainment, manual ORVMs, no remote tailgate release, no body coloured mirrors or door handles etc.

XUV 3OO W4 is comparable in features to Nexon XM variant.
Completely agree. So W4 ~ XM ~ 7.2Lakhs ex showroom.

Subtracting lack of 5 star safety rating (as of now), boot space, proven engine; W4 starting seems like 6.8-7.2 price range...

Consequently and cumulatively W6=25k more, W8=1.2-1.5L more, W8(0)=1L more.

W4=7L
W6=7.3L
W8=8.5L
W8(0)=9.5L

Looks like a winner at these prices (petrol)!
Old 7th February 2019, 16:09   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
people rarely travel full-load. So, the 5 seat-belts are not going to be useful.
This is akin to saying "I'm rarely gonna crash and 7 airbags/stable structure are not going to be useful". Whatever safety on offer is good even if they aren't going to be useful daily. Its better to have and not use it rather than not having when needed.

Quote:
300NM is a large number & the reviews mention that the boost is very strong after a certain point ie the acceleration is not linear post 1800RPM, and one needs to be very gentle with the accelerator while the clutch isn't light. Again not very useful within the city - infact it'll take quite a bit of getting used-to for constantly modulating the accelerator & clutch, cautiously.
Reviews mention that the low end grunt is very good and will be good for city diving.

Quote:
[*]India is a developing economy & dust is an issue, M&M could have atleast changed the bright seat-fabric colour.

Quote:
[*] Whats with the strings on the seat-backs? Its the one place rear-passengers could stove their stuff away from prying eyes.
Thats the replacement for back seat cover it seems, as per reviews

Quote:
IMO This car misses more boxes than it ticks. It is the perfect example of why originality as seen in Tata Nexon, is very important.
It ticks the engine & safety boxes though Nexon is no slouch either

Quote:
The naging question in my mind is. Why pay 14 lakhs for the top variant diesel of xuv300, when I could buy the top variant diesel of ford freestyle for 9.3 lakhs on road.
# Sun roof
# TPMS
# 3 point seat belt for the middle passenger
# Rear disc
# Knee airbag
# Heated mirrors
# 15% more power & 30% more torque
# Better rear leg room
# Figo scored 3 stars in crash test with its structure declared unstable & unable to withstand further load, I'm assuming the XUV 300 will score atleast 4 stars if not 5
# Proportionate resale value

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th February 2019 at 16:12.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 17:05   #641
BHPian

Quote:
The naging question in my mind is. Why pay 14 lakhs for the top variant diesel of xuv300, when I could buy the top variant diesel of ford freestyle for 9.3 lakhs on road.

The ford freestyle diesel is equally good on performance, safety and looks (looks is subjective). And scores slightly better than xuv300 on practicality, utility.

Equal sized boot
Black interiors
190 mm ground clearance
Equally good rear legspace
Etc

How could I justify paying 50% more for the xuv 300? Of course there are some extra features like dual zone climate control, heated orvms, etc. But the freestyle also comes with really cool tech like anti rollover protection, Instantaneous fuel efficiency, etc.
Exactly what I felt, so to make things clear before I test drive the XUV300 took a drive of the Freestyle diesel. The engine was amazing and the pull was strong till 100kph, which I believe takes around 11sec. From the reviews of XUV300 it does the same in 13 odd sec. The brakes were spot on with plenty of feel and I feel this is more important in Indian driving conditions than sprinting to 100kph.
Then went to see the XUV300 in the showroom and was positively surprised. This car has road presence and the styling which looks a bit awkward in pictures was quite attractive to the eye. I think that's where XUV300 will score over freestyle but really felt bad for the Freestyle as it's getting lost now from the buyers mindset with sales hardly ever touching 2000 units in a month.

Last edited by damodar : 7th February 2019 at 17:06.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 18:04   #642
BHPian

Watched a whole bunch of videos and not a single one of them mentioned if XUV 300 has a tilt and telescope or only tilt steering. All this while not a single one of them missed speaking about the steering modes. A tilt and telescope steering is much more important and functional in my opinion. Missing reporting about this is a glaring omission. That's why I wait for Official Team-BHP Reviews. But guess it's gonna be a while since the backlog is quite long. Overall seems a pretty good car and will take the fight to competition if only Mahindra prices it right.
Turbo_Charger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 18:45   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
How does the dual zone climate control work? So the driver side vents will throw cooled air at one temperature and the passenger side at another temperature? Even if that happens, then won't the temperature inside the cabin average out after a while?
Ever come across a situation where you are feeling hot or cold while the co-passenger feels otherwise? And then one of you either shuts your vent or directs the air in another direction. Dual zone is the answer to that. Yes the temperature will even out ofcourse but the direct air that is coming out is at different temperatures and that is the purpose.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 20:48   #644
BANNED

Is anyone else seeing a Mini Cooper/Countryman side profile in the XUV3OO towards the rear portion or is it only me?
Old 7th February 2019, 21:47   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Having had a look at the XUV in person, I think it is more of a Scross rival than an Ecosport if only the stance is considered and not the length.

I wish Mahindra had brought in the full-length Tivoli and pitched it against Scross and Creta. That would have been a perfect practical vehicle.

This version is losing out on the boot space big time to be even considered by many families which otherwise is a very well packaged vehicle.
Maybe, (judging on the success of the product) Mahindra has plans for a XUV 300+ (or maybe even a XUV 400) by bringing in the full length Tivoli. All they have to do is throw in a few more features, add a proper AT (maybe even an AWD AT, but then I'm being optimistic here) and you have a S Cross/ Duster/ Kicks / Creta rival on your hands. IMO, Mahindra plays the features game very well, so in its next iteration you could be looking at a panoramic sunroof, focussed puddle lamps with XUV logo, cornering lamps and voice activated commands et al (in addition to the existing set). But the fact remains, the car has to establish itself first.
Quote:
---snip--- The point I was trying to make is that xuv 300 is very hatchback-ish in practicality, utility - low ground clearance, low rear seat space, no rear seat recline, no rear ac vents, low boot space, etc. (The same can't be said of EcoSport or creta). Ofcourse the xuv 300 has its strong points - but that is mostly on the performance, design, safety side. And that is a combination that bears a lot of resemblance to the ford freestyle.

Or to put it differently, there is very little about creta or EcoSport that is strictly hatchback-ish. But there are many things about xuv 300 that is frankly hatchback-ish.
Now that you've said it, it may be seen as that. The excellent power and torque figures aside (which make it the most powerful Sub 4m SUV in India), the external dimension figures hint that it may also be the largest sub 4m 'SUV' out there. What I feel is that maybe, if they do bring in the Tivoli as a >4m competition to the Creta / Duster siblings, they will have thought of beefing up the outward appearance and make it look a little more 'macho'.

Cheers !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks