Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 00:38   #781
BHPian

The prices of the petrol variant looks like an overkill. It's at least 50k more than expected. Mahindra certainly got greedy there. The diesel variant price is in line with the expectation IMHO. Saying this I wish Mahindra all the best with XUV 300 though don't expect it to set sales charts on fire. Nexon with its sweet pricing and bigger boot is going to give this baby XUV a tough fight. Interesting times ahead to see how the market perceive value amidst such pricing.
Old 15th February 2019, 00:56   #782
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

The pricing of XUV 300 is absolutely spot-on, if only it is available in the original dimensions of the Tivoli rivalling the Creta. With this optimistic pricing, Mahindra risks XUV 300 selling not more than what TUV 300 was able to manage during its launch in 2015 when it beat the then established Ecosport (the only rival then with Brezza and Nexon not launched), for the first 6 months. The honeymoon period ended with the launch of Brezza which ddidn't have any impact on Ecosport, however the TUV tanked and never recovered after that.

I hope XUV 300 really manages to make a mark in the Compact SUV segment, and not fade like Yaris which was again launched with many features but failed due to the same optimistic pricing by Toyota. And not to forget the upcoming Hyundai's Compact SUV (Styx) which will make the life tougher in this competitive segment.

The sales of the Compact SUVs available then (when TUV 300 was launched) -

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-tuv_es_brezza_sales_comparison.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 01:49   #783
BHPian

The absence of the ARAI FE numbers in any of the media engagements so far is very intriguing.

My take is that class leading power and torque figures have led to figures which they might not be very proud of. The diesel will have an acceptable number for sure, this being the same engine as the one in Marazzo, which has an ARAI figure of 17.3. This being a smaller car, I would assume a 18-19 figure for the baby XUV diesel.

I believe the story of the Petrol will be different altogether and hence the curious silence. Remember that small capacity turbo petrols are known to return FE figures that can be quite a put off. The similar petrol Nexon has a decent ARAI FE of 17.33, but I'm sure these figures are for a drive in the ECO mode where as many have said is pretty lifeless. If they had tested with the Nexon with the complete 110 horses, the ARAI number would have been not more than 14-15 which is unacceptable for the segment. I assume the weight of the baby XUV, along with the inherently inefficient turbo petrol and the absence of any eco mode has returned ARAI figures that are not worth printing or advertising out loud

Last edited by coldice4u : 15th February 2019 at 01:51.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 02:15   #784
BHPian

The W4 Petrol doesn't get an Audio system ?? (refer Brochure). Don't understand the rationale behind this!
The price difference between Petrol and Diesel is a narrow 60K on W4 and 55K on other variants. Looks like Mahindra wants to push Diesel variants more and also milk the Petrol variants.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-xuv_300_w4_w6.png  

anthusiast is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 04:19   #785
BHPian

The XUV300 is definitely overpriced, even though the as per reviews, Performance is said to be extremely impressive I would rather put my money on a fully loaded Nexon XZ+, it's by far the most value for money proposition in this segment. It may not be as well equipped like XUV or Ecosport nor it would be as good to drive as the Ecosport but I believe it's a jack of all traits. Moreover, with 300's pricing, they just made the Nexon look even more VFM for the mango people. 12 Lakhs ex-showroom for the top end diesel is straight Hyundai Creta territory, atleast I'm getting a 1.6L engine there with a lot more power and also the status symbol of driving a premium Compact UV!
Old 15th February 2019, 07:16   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

So went and checked the car out yesterday and it was a mixed response. They had 2 W(O) variants parked and for a change the showroom was packed with people with tired SA everywhere.

Coming to the car, it's an extremely well put together vehicle. The front end looks very upmarket and aggressive at the same time and that front grill really suits the car's character. Those boomerang shaped ( Cheetah inspired as per M&M - how?) DRLs look very well integrated with the overall design of the car unlike in XUV500 which I believe looks like an aftermarket addition in places. The side profile is also quite SUVish. The rear didn't look attractive to me in the pictures but in real time it looks quite nice too.

Interiors are nice too. Wonder how did M&M team let pass that passenger seatbelt indicator panel. It just looks out of time, out of place and flimsy. Otherwise the dashboard is well laid out. The glove box is definitely lacking in height and is a tad bit too much in depth. The only other fault with the interiors was the white upholstery. Aftermarket sear covers would be definitely recommended.

Lastly the Achille's heal - the boot. Honestly after reading the reviews, I was prepared for a very small boot. But it is not that small to be unusable. A large check in bag or 2 cabin bags would be an easy fit with some space left for smaller items. Nevertheless the rear seat folding mechanism is fluent in operation and one can make use of that on that occasional airport run. The bigger issue is the high boot loading lip. It is really high! One would require a lot of arm strength to haul up a heavy piece of luggage that high.

The sunroof is a welcome addition and it certainly adds to the overall experience of the car.

TD vehicles are expected to arrive in a couple of days as per the dealer.

Now coming to the price. I was honestly prepared to shell out 13.5L for the W(O) variant and was rather calling it pricier by around 50k in my earlier posts right after the price reveal. But I guess I am not keeping up with the times as I had though that 12L ex-showroom would translate to around 13.5 OTR. But to my surprise the OTR is 14.5L ( dunno when did road tax and all increase so much). At 14.5L OTR the car didn't make sense to me. Yes it is a fully loaded variant and all that but still 14.5L is a lot of money for a compact sub-4m SUV. I expect this to sell only in the mid variants. The W(O) according to me should not have crossed 13L OTR. For comparison, I went and TD the Nexon next. The Nexon has more space inside and in the boot and offers you the option of AMT. The top end AT Petrol is around 11.3L OTR and top end diesel AT is 13.2L OTR. And these are AMT prices. The MT ( like the XUV300) would be a further 50-60k cheaper.

Last edited by drmohitg : 15th February 2019 at 07:46. Reason: added a detail
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 07:39   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The only other fault with the interiors was the white upholstery. Aftermarket sear covers would be definitely recommended.

But to my surprise the OTR is 14.5L ( dunno when did road tax and all increase so much)
Seat covers can't be installed (or rather shouldn't be) because of the airbags. So nothing owners can do about it but maintain it as much possible, which would be quite a task. The lower variants come with black seats.

OTR would be including the now mandatory 3 year third party insurance.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 07:51   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Seat covers can't be installed (or rather shouldn't be) because of the airbags. So nothing owners can do about it but maintain it as much possible, which would be quite a task. The lower variants come with black seats.
But the official accessories list does have number of seat covers.. Is it only for lower variants.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-screenshot_20190215074959__01.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th February 2019 at 10:31. Reason: Typo.
Old 15th February 2019, 08:28   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirubhai View Post
But the official accessories list does have number of seat covers.. Is it only for lower varients
Yes, these should be installed only lower variants. W8(O) has side airbags installed in the seats and covering them up with seat covers will interfere with airbag deployment.

Members here have already commented how quickly the W8(O) seats get dirty in the display cars. Owners will have nightmares keeping them clean. Better to have a bottle of seat cleaner and microfiber cloth permanently in the car!
Old 15th February 2019, 09:04   #790
BHPian

Saw a customer vehicle this morning on NH8. One of the first deliveries i guess. I have not seen or test driven the vehicle and this was my first encounter. Couple of observations:

a) I first saw the car in my ORVM and the first thought after looking at those DRls: They seem to form the alphabet 'M'. Not sure if this is what Mahindra intended.
b) The rear looks very compact and hatchback-ish
c) The wheels neither looked 17-inchers not looked chunky. To me, Nexon remains the benchmark in this department
d) The car looked smart though but the rear is a bit awkward

Seeing a customer vehicle on the next day of launch is phenomenal. For reference, i have just seen 1 Harrier in Delhi/NCR till date. I travel between Noida and Gurgaon daily during office hours.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 09:57   #791
Senior - BHPian

As an owner of an Ecosport S, I quite like the package that Mahindra is offering. Major turn off's for me is the dated AC panel design with those gawdy buttons and the whitish/cream interiors. I am not surprised by the pricing considering how much kit this car has. This would have been a serious contender between the Ecosport if I was car shopping now.

I see quite a few views on the pricing and that it is stepping into Creta territory, etc., but 14-15L on road will just get you the basic Creta 1.4L diesel. Unless space is your priority, I would prefer the extra kit over the 'status' of owning a larger car. The Nexon is definitely the most 'value for money' here, but it does not offer a lot of the kit that the XUV & Ecosport top end variants offer, especially potential life saving features like ESP & 6/7 airbags.

Lastly on the GNCAP rating, yes the Nexon has 5 stars and kudos to Tata, but the Ecosport and the XUV300 have not been tested by GNCAP, so we can't really put this as a negative against them.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th February 2019 at 09:59.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 10:15   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Unless space is your priority, I would prefer the extra kit over the 'status' of owning a larger car.
Objection m'lord! Not all of us buy a larger car for the...ahem..."status".

In Feb 2018, I had test driven a Jazz. And then I found that almost for the same price, I could get 5 comfortable seats and 2 optional seats on the TUV 300 - so that's what I bought.

So you need to visualize Russell Peters acting this out, with expressive hands, rolling eyes and a shaking head - "Hold on, if I shell out the same amount of money, I can have 2 more seats?!"

I was Russell Peters at that moment, acting that out. I'll remain Russell Peters, with the same statement every time I buy a larger car. There are others like me, I'm sure. We don't care about too many bells and whistles in a car. We like to have more car, per car (Thanks Tata for giving shape to my feelings!) Personally, I see relatively compact cars priced so high like the Creta, the XUV 300...and I can only frown, raise my eyebrows (again, Russell Peters style) and utter sad phrases.

We are the silent majority. We will make car buying great again
(Note: Due credits to Roger Stone, Nixon & Reagan. Trump only rehashed their old phrases in 2016!)
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 10:39   #793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
As an owner of an Ecosport S, I quite like the package that Mahindra is offering.

I see quite a few views on the pricing and that it is stepping into Creta territory, etc., but 14-15L on road will just get you the basic Creta 1.4L diesel.
Can totally relate to what you are pointing out - but I feel the bigger issue here is the lower variants, than the W8(O). W8(O) is really unique in the segment, loaded with features - that only the Ecosport S comes close. It really goes over and above what even the Creta offers in terms of features.

But W4, W6 and W8 are in no-man's land. W4 and W6 are priced in a way it doesn't make sense against Nexon / Brezza, whereas W8 is having a big difference with Nexon/ Brezza top ends (specially onroad due to crossing 10 lakhs tax slabs), that it becomes difficult to justify the price difference w.r.t features.

W8(O) won't be a crowd puller, selling to niche customers. So that does leave a question mark about the sales that this otherwise wonderful product can achieve in the market. Then the petrols are priced very close to the diesel, so picking the petrol is difficult. And the diesel does leave a question about BS6 unanswered, specially when spending 15 lakhs on a sub-4m car.

Mahindra perhaps missed a trick or two, at the last moment.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th February 2019 at 10:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 10:43   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Sadly, I need to drop this one from my list because this seems to be only suited for city runs or small family who have to end up folding the rear seat during long trips
Now that the prices are out, do you want to reconsider? If not, then what are your other options? I am also looking for a compact SUV but did like the Ertiga. However, it is also being used by cabbies. So want to look for a more suitable and less commercial vehicle.
Old 15th February 2019, 11:01   #795
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Pretty optimistic pricing by Mahindra there. And what's with the arrogance of not mentioning NEXON as a competitor during the Q & A session? But then guess its understandable as they have priced this atleast 1-1.5L more than equivalent variant of NEXON. For reference Bangalore OTR price difference between petrol NEXON XZ+ and petrol XUV3OO W8 is an eye-popping 1.84L. Heck its around 1.3L more than Ecosport as well

Source

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-comparison.jpg

With just 55-60k difference from diesel variants, I don't see the petrol XUV3OO making any substantial numbers. Looks like even Mahindra wants to push the diesel and hence the silence on ARAI figures. Maybe its too early but I don't think this would affect Nexon at all and it looks even more VFM now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
To all my fellow members, i accept XUV300 is overpriced. But from business perspective, it gives them the leverage to provide discounts/price drop is needed.

So Mahindra wants to see how much they can leverage the sureshot buyers and then can decide on dropping the price
That is something no manufacturer should do with a fresh product. Perfect example is Yaris. Now they are running heavy discounts but the damage is already done, and these discounts aren't accounting for much and mind you its no small brand, its Toyota.

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th February 2019 at 11:18.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed