Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 11:05   #796
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

To all my fellow members, i accept XUV300 is overpriced. But from business perspective, it gives them the leverage to provide discounts/price drop is needed.

In my opinion, most people who wants to buy a particular brand/car would have already decided even before showroom visit and would have been already influenced by it. The fence sitters in buying a car are very less.

So Mahindra wants to see how much they can leverage the sureshot buyers and then can decide on dropping the price.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 11:17   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post

So Mahindra wants to see how much they can leverage the sureshot buyers and then can decide on dropping the price.
History on pricing @ launch shows the success of a product.

However big a discount or price-cuts that follow after launch will not help its sales.

Meanwhile here are OTR prices of the XUV in some cities.

Quote:
The XUV300 costs the most in the capital of Maharashtra, and costs the least in West Bengal's capital city
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-1.jpg

Meanwhile XUV3OO AMT spied on test.
Quote:
The XUV300 spotted with the automatic transmission is the W6 variant, so clearly, the company will make it available on the W6 and W8 variant of the XUV300.
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-20.jpg
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0.jpg
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-00.jpg

Link1

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th February 2019 at 11:31.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 11:18   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
History on pricing @ launch shows the success of a product.

However big a discount or price-cuts that follow after launch will not help its sales.
Agreed and Perfectly correct for Star products. But for also rans this is a better strategy.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 11:41   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Lastly on the GNCAP rating, yes the Nexon has 5 stars and kudos to Tata, but the Ecosport and the XUV300 have not been tested by GNCAP, so we can't really put this as a negative against them.
Agreed. Going a bit off topic here. Kudos to Tata for prioritising safety and promoting the Nexon based on GNCAP score, but the tag of "India's safest car" is a bit misleading without understanding the details. I am referring to this thread -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4508745 (Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Objection m'lord! Not all of us buy a larger car for the...ahem..."status".
I think fiat_tarun might be referring to people who buy base variant Creta just for status/boast of owning a Creta and then upgrading it to top variants by adding aftermarket accessories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
In my opinion, most people who wants to buy a particular brand/car would have already decided even before showroom visit and would have been already influenced by it. The fence sitters in buying a car are very less.
I also have the same feeling. Mahindra knows they can't touch Brezza. And with the amount of kit they're offering, they may not be able to price it as Nexon. So they priced it at par with EcoSport. But it remains to be seen if buyers choose the tried and tested EcoSport or choose XUV300 with Mahindra's past records with initial niggles.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:02   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Objection m'lord! Not all of us buy a larger car for the...ahem..."status".
Yes, agree. This was not a general statement but in relation to a comment that for INR 14-15L, one would rather buy a Creta.

Again, this is subjective, so it was purely my preference since in space vs features, I would choose features

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
I think fiat_tarun might be referring to people who buy base variant Creta just for status/boast of owning a Creta and then upgrading it to top variants by adding aftermarket accessories!
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:02   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
Now that the prices are out, do you want to reconsider? If not, then what are your other options? I am also looking for a compact SUV but did like the Ertiga. However, it is also being used by cabbies. So want to look for a more suitable and less commercial vehicle.
Well for me the boot space is the deal-breaker. I am looking for a feature loaded car purely for weekend and long highway drives. I own older Ertiga and with 3rd row folded, it has massive boot space.

XUV300 W8(O) is very loaded in terms of features and the petrol engine seem to be very torquy(on paper) but that boot is a joke !! Tata Nexon offers a more complete package if you are having budget crunch. Else look for Creta/Marazzo or even Harrier/XUV500 if you can stretch your budget

If you are looking for occasional 3rd row and compact dimensions for city, Ertiga (new one) is very good pick. but it will always remain an MPV and not SUV

New petrol engine is more than sufficient and even the boot is enough for a weekend drive with 5+2 kids.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:08   #802
BHPian

How does the boot compare to an i20 or Swift’s boot. Literal street eye-balling?
Old 15th February 2019, 12:23   #803
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Meanwhile XUV3OO AMT spied on test.

Attachment 1848984

Link1
The car in the picture looks like the W8(O) with the sunroof, dual tone alloys and the cream coloured leatherette seats. So it seems like they are going to offer it in the W8(O) as well.

High price not-withstanding, it would be great to see Mahindra offering an automatic in the absolute highest trim.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 13:07   #804
BHPian

Quote:
In Feb 2018, I had test driven a Jazz. And then I found that almost for the same price, I could get 5 comfortable seats and 2 optional seats on the TUV 300 - so that's what I bought.
I echo your thoughts here. As you are aware, I had almost decided on the TUV, but then the Diesel element and looming BS6, together with knowledgeable comments from fellow TBHPians on the TUV 300 (including yours) on the future of diesel cars in India, it became a deal breaker for me and I moved to petrol options.

This car is not that more car per car feeling, but atleast is a petrol version and other things are fine with me for now.
CarStruck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 13:21   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Well for me the boot space is the deal-breaker. I am looking for a feature loaded car purely for weekend and long highway drives. I own older Ertiga and with 3rd row folded, it has massive boot space.

4.3 meter long Ertiga will always have more boot space - especially with last row folded - than any sub 4m car, just because of dimensions! New Ertiga is perfect upgrade for old Ertiga, with new 1.5L engine (existing in petrol and upcoming in diesel).

If Mahindra has increased leg room for front/rear seat by compromising on luggage space, for many it is actually a positive, as passenger comfort is more important most of the times than luggage carrying capacity.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 13:35   #806
Senior - BHPian

Boot space has never hindered the sales of a car. What else justifies sales of previous gen Ertiga(had 135 Ltr boot space) and previous gen Swift which has 180 Ltr boot space. While some family will give this car a miss due to small boot, majority of the crowd would hardly be worried.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 13:41   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
If Mahindra has increased leg room for front/rear seat by compromising on luggage space, for many it is actually a positive, as passenger comfort is more important most of the times than luggage carrying capacity.
After the low boot space, this is the second biggest issue IMO. From what i have seen in the pictures and video reviews, the 3OO does not offer any substantial extra leg room. It more or less is equal to what nexon offers. I could be wrong because i have not seen the 3OO in person.

In this scenario where has the space gone? If Nexon or Brezza can offer 99% of what 3OO offers at the rear bench, then boot surely becomes a discussion point.
Old 15th February 2019, 13:57   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
4.3 meter long Ertiga will always have more boot space - especially with last row folded - than any sub 4m car, just because of dimensions! New Ertiga is perfect upgrade for old Ertiga, with new 1.5L engine (existing in petrol and upcoming in diesel).

It was just my perspective here for a car used purely for long highway drives. Only reason,I even considered XUV300 for all the feature set and the initial pics made it appear like a Creta sized car for a lesser price !! (Which is true except for its boot space). Majority of buyers might look at sub-4m compact dimensions for a city friendly car. However this car is not for who are looking for a single car, especially for long drives(that too along with family of 4+). Afterall, where else are we going to use all that torque !!

XUV300 has boot space that is comparable with Vitara Brezza and might just eat away a chunk. However i doubt W8(o) will sell in numbers.
Old 15th February 2019, 14:11   #809
Senior - BHPian

^^^ If Tivoli was launched in original longer avatar, the tax benefit of sub 4M car would no longer apply. The sub 4m / less than 1.5L diesel or 1.2L petrol engine offers best tax benefit, which is why most new cars are in this segment (Nexon/WRV/TUV/XUV300/Ecosport...). But this sacrifice of space will always pop up somewhere, either in leg space or boot space (unless it's a Honda with amazing space management in Jazz/WRV).

I got your point, and agree that people with need for boot are better off looking at bigger sized cars.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 15:02   #810
BHPian

XUV 300 OTR in major cities by rushlane

Petrol

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-mahindraxuv300onroadpricesindiacitieslist1.jpg
*Goa

Diesel

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-mahindraxuv300onroadpricesindiacitieslist2.jpg
*Goa
Comparison by rushlane

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-mahindraxuv300vsrivalspricespecsspacemileage3.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-mahindraxuv300vsrivalspricespecsspacemileage2.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-mahindraxuv300vsrivalspricespecsspacemileage1.jpg

Still no concrete info on boot size. Speculations vary between 215 to 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The car in the picture looks like the W8(O) with the sunroof, dual tone alloys and the cream coloured leatherette seats. So it seems like they are going to offer it in the W8(O) as well.

High price not-withstanding, it would be great to see Mahindra offering an automatic in the absolute highest trim.
It is a W8 (O) variant. With the current pricing I wonder how Mahindra will manage a W8 (O) diesel variant. But if they give they it'll be great to have AT on the highest trim, a true top end AT.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 15th February 2019 at 15:05.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed