Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:03   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Nexon XZA+ is listed at 13L OTR Delhi. Assuming that the MT XZ+ would cost atleast 50-60k lesser. On the other hand the XUV300 W(O) variant costs 14.5L OTR Delhi. Do the extra features in the XUV300 W(O) justify an additional 2L over the top end Nexon?
My perception has changed after I looked this baby Mahindra in person. Keep that badge aside and it screams Ssangyong inside out. Heck even the pricier Creta is no match to the interiors of XUV300. This definitely feels like a car from another segment except the boot. If you have the money and can forego the smaller boot, this car is definitely worth the premium over Nexon.
PrideRed is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:09   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Do the extra features in the XUV300 W(O) justify an additional 2L over the top end Nexon?
W8(O) has 4 disk brakes, 7 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, Cruise control, Dual zone climate control to name a few in addition to other features like front parking sensors and heated ORVMs. Not sure if its worth additional 2L, I have no idea. As I said earlier, its priced higher for a "Mahindra".

Anyways, my original point was that its so difficult for manufacturers to sell cars in India. We criticize MS for selling stripped down versions of their international offerings at prices which seem VFM, but we still want a feature loaded car at competitive prices. No wonder India is such a tough market to crack!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:40   #858

I was seriously considering the XUV300 until I saw the variants. The W8 variant has too many features and the W6 has too few. Which would mean that Mahindra was baiting on the W8 variant to sell more that the other variants. But its pricing killed it. Although it offers so many features, but was there a demand from the market for these features? And if not, would customers pay the premium for these features? Probably, a better strategy would have been to add these features in a yearly refresh cycle(s) with minor price hike. But as the things stand, I have taken out the XUV300 from the contention.
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:58   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
How to make fun of a customer ��
1. First you say the pricing will be very aggressive
2. Then you set the price that even your dealers had never thought of
3. Then you fool customers by giving all features in top end variant only
4. And then make fun of your customer by filling the boot space with empty suitcases
We're not fools Mahindra. If these suitcases are filled completely, will they still fit inside this bootspace of a hatchback's size?
Nothing wrong with loading empty suitcases, how does it matter, it's about volume not weight, & they are not being "squeezed" in (as far as I can see), except maybe the last bag.
superbad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:43   #860
Senior - BHPian

I think Mahindra made a huge mistake with this car by launching this in the sub-4M segment. If they had launched the full size Tivoli, it would have taken care of the low boot space issue and if they had managed to undercut the Creta, it would have posed a very serious challenge with all these cool features. Now, they are priced too high for the segment and why would someone pay such a hefty sum for a car with boot smaller than B-segment hatchback.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 00:01   #861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Nothing wrong with loading empty suitcases, how does it matter, it's about volume not weight, & they are not being "squeezed" in (as far as I can see), except maybe the last bag.
Try doing the exact same thing with full suitcases and you'll know how it matters.

Can't maneuver in and out of space as easily, full ones will take up more space (true for soft luggage) and there'll be plenty of squeezing and potentially trim damage over time from zippers, wheels and assorted appendages that are flush with surfaces around them with no room to spare.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2019 at 00:03.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 06:25   #862
Senior - BHPian

Hasn't anyone TD'd this car yet? Please post a review of the drive.

This thread only has complaints about Mahindra's price, size and lies.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:55   #863
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Hasn't anyone TD'd this car yet? Please post a review of the drive.

This thread only has complaints about Mahindra's price, size and lies.
I test drove the XUV 300 diesel a few days ago. I didn't test drive the Petrol version yet - so the following is only about the Diesel model.

First the negatives.

(1) The boot is small - around 260 litres. For big families this will be a problem. But for small nuclear families, this may be ok. The reason being that (unlike the boot of hatchbacks) the boot is deep, but lacks height. If you don't use a parcel tray, you can overload the boot above the rear seat height, and gain another 60 litres or so in my estimate - thus a total of around 320 litres, which is ok-ish for most needs. Of course, not using a parcel tray and overloading the boot carries a bit of safety risk - you have to make sure that whatever you put in the boot won't get thrown into the cabin during hard braking, etc.

(2) The rear seat cooling is inadequate. I test drove in the afternoon between 1 pm and 2 pm, and it was a hot day. The outside temperature must have been between 33 - 35 degrees. The ACC was set for the lowest temperature setting. The only way to get just about adequate cooling for rear passengers was to set the fan to the fastest setting - at that setting the fan was a bit loud. The rear A/C vents are sorely missed. Mahindra should also have used a more powerful A/C unit in this car, especially considering the lack of A/C rear vents. I wonder how effective the A/C would be in the peak summer when temperatures soar to above 40 degrees. One thing which could improve A/C performance would be to install a rear parcel tray - since Mahindra is not providing this as stock, the test drive car didn't have one, and the A/C has to work extra hard to cool the extra volume of the boot.

(3) Fuel efficiency is sub-par. Previous week I test drove an S-Cross on the same route I took with the XUV 300. I did a total of 40 kms of highway driving in both the cases (almost no traffic on the road in both the cases). About 20 kms, I drove with a heavy foot. Then reset the AFE reading, and drove the next 20 kms sedately. The S-Cross delivered 19.5 kmpl with a heavy foot, and 22.5 kmpl when driven sedately. The XUV 300 delivered only 14 kmpl with a heavy foot, and 16.5 kmpl when driven sedately. However, it must be noted that the XUV 300 was a brand new car with only 800 kms on the odo. Its fuel efficiency must improve by 1-3 kmpl after the first couple of service and few 1000 kms on the odo.

(4) The pricing is a bit hard to digest. For a car with some deal-breaker negatives (and some huge positives - which I will come to later), the pricing that is way above the competition (especially for W8 and W8-0ptional variants) is unlikely to go well with prospective customers. Mahindra should immediately figure out a way to price the W8 diesel below 10 lakhs (which leads to savings in taxes, etc), even if it is by cutting some features. The W6 variant pricing would have made sense if it came with driver seat height adjust and rear defogger (both of these can't be added after-market).

(5) The light color interiors can be hard to maintain. Especially the light color seats in the w8(o) variant - the other variants come with black colored seats.

Now the positives

(1) The build quality is impressive. It is heavier built than the Ecosport even. The bonnet lid is super heavy. The doors are heavy. The doors close shut with a reassuring thud. The sales person was saying that the Mahindra management told during training that they are aiming for 5-star rating for the XUV 300. I think that is quite likely. There is a plastic engine guard for both the petrol and diesel models.

(2) Interiors look and feel premium. The fit and finish of the interiors is really good - way ahead of the Brezza; better than the Ecosport too. The interiors quality is comparable to that of the Creta, perhaps even slightly better (I haven't experienced the facelifted Creta though).

(3) Looks cool, youthful and aggressive. I think it is the best looking among the sub-4m cars. Between the Creta and XUV 300, I prefer the mature, understated look of the Creta. But a younger person might prefer the aggressive, edgy, sporty, slightly over the top design of the XUV 300. The boxy SUV looks really helps - the only wish being that the rear of the XUV 300 was slightly less curvy, and more squarish.

(4) Good road presence for a sub-4m car. I think it has comparable road presence to the Ecosport. The aggressive design and the width ensures it has much more road presence than both Brezza and Nexon. The aggressive front grill design means that this car could be intimidating to another driver who watches it coming in his rear view mirror. The side profile visually looks slightly longer than a sub-4m car, because of the slightly lower height (than Ecosport) and the longer wheelbase - it is a visual thing.

(5) The engine is sweet. The torque starts kicking in at 1500 rpm, below which there is manageable turbo lag. A performance enthusiast will be happy revving the engine. The engine revvs freely upto 3500 rpm, after which it feels slightly strained to reach 4000 rpm. Beyond 4000 rpm, the engine feels very strained upto 4500 rpm, where the engine red-lines. There is plentiful torque after around 1750 rpm, but the 300 Nm torque figure is not reflected in the real world performance. You don't get pushed into the seats unless you really really floor the pedal hard into the floor. But it accelerates fast - slightly faster than the Ecosport Diesel.

(6) It feels very planted and stable at high speeds. The long wheelbase, and the wide front and rear tracks, ensure that it feels way more planted and stable than the Ecosport, and competitors in the segment. I tend to think it felt more stable and planted than the Creta too. This was probably the most impressive quality I felt about the XUV 300.

(7) Handling and ride quality is very good. The suspension is slightly firm and delivers good handling - an enthusiast would be more than happy with it. I didn't get it drive it on curvy roads, so can't comment too much on the cornering - but as far as I can tell, I think it will be very good. At the same time, the ride quality is impressive. It absorbs broken roads with aplomb and very little of it permeates into the cabin. I didn't get to drive it on really horrible roads with gutters, etc - but the slightly bad roads I drove it over, I was totally impressed with the ride quality. I don't think it has the magic carpet type of ride quality of the Duster, but it comes close. At one or two places while driving over bad roads, I heard a low, slightly squeaky voice from the rear suspension - but I can't confirm if it was from the suspension, or something else.

(8) The driver seat gives good support. It is wide enough for a person with a reasonably large frame. The seat is slightly firm - a very good thing in my books. In fact, all the seats are slightly firm - and offer the right amount of support - without being too firm. The driving position is raised enough to give a SUV feel. The bonnet can be clearly seen from the driving position - by adjusting the driver seat height, even a short 5 feet tall driver should be able to see the bonnet clearly.

(9) It is fun to drive. If you combine points 5,6,7,8 - it is easy to see that this is a car that will appeal to a performance enthusiast. No two ways about it.

(10) There is ample leg room, and shoulder room in all the seats - front and rear. The rear seat should be able to seat 3 persons quite easily - unless all the 3 are of large build. The leg room is also generous, unless both the persons in the front seat and the rear seats are more than 6 feet 2 inches tall. The rear seat space is clearly way ahead of the Ecosport. However, there is one thing in which the Ecosport rear seat scores better - in Ecosport the rear seat is a bit taller, and also offer better under-thigh support.

Summary
-----------

In summary, I would say that the car is very capable. It is a car that will easily appeal to performance enthusiasts. It has some weaknesses in terms of practicality and utility, which could be a deal breaker to many Indian families. Personally for me, I am willing to live with the smaller boot. However, the sub-par A/C cooling for rear passengers is something that has me worried - especially since my kids get really agitated if the cabin gets hot.

The pricing has also left me a quite worried - I think the premium pricing has the potential to kill the sales of this capable product. If it becomes a sales dud - then those who bought it will end up with a resale disaster on their hands. So, I would wait at least 4-6 months to see if the product takes off, before making a buying decision.

(Note: It is a premium product, and the premium pricing could be justified - the only caveat being that it has some big practicality negatives too).

Last edited by PYSO : 23rd February 2019 at 11:04.
PYSO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 16:19   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
In summary, I would say that the car is very capable. It is a car that will easily appeal to performance enthusiasts. It has some weaknesses in terms of practicality and utility, which could be a deal breaker to many Indian families.
Thanks for sharing this detailed observation. I think Mahindra also knows this and they're marketing the car to performance enthusiasts with the Gaurav Gill video, the Rann of Kutch video and now the TV commercial. Only problem is for the poor sales executives to sell this to Indian families due to its misses in practicality and utility. Maybe that's what led to some dealership shooting that luggage stuffing video that was shared in last page. That was definitely not official Mahindra commercial!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 22:07   #865
BHPian

Here it is, Petrol Variant Full Review by Carandbike

Old 24th February 2019, 10:58   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Anyways, my original point was that its so difficult for manufacturers to sell cars in India. We criticize MS for selling stripped down versions of their international offerings at prices which seem VFM, but we still want a feature loaded car at competitive prices. No wonder India is such a tough market to crack!

Not really. If India is such a tough market to crack, then how come Tigor and Nexon are successes? That too on top of the tremendous bad name that Tata has got! Ronald Reagan may have preached about the goodness of greed, but in India we only give Toyota and Hyundai the license to greed. If you are anybody else, you have got to price your products sensibly.
ashlil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 11:46   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Yes, it has more equipment. Yes, it has more safety kit. Yes, it is more premium. But, the all this additions do not justify the extra money they are asking for these.
Quote:
Its probably priced higher considering its a Mahindra. Would it have sold brilliantly if it came from MS or Hyundai?

On one hand we complain that the Creta is overpriced, yet it sells like hot cakes. Swift gets 2 stars from GNCAP yet is a consistent winner for MS.
Quote:
Do the extra features in the XUV300 W(O) justify an additional 2L over the top end Nexon?
Quote:
W8(O) has 4 disk brakes, 7 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, Cruise control, Dual zone climate control to name a few in addition to other features like front parking sensors and heated ORVMs. Not sure if its worth additional 2L, I have no idea. As I said earlier, its priced higher for a "Mahindra".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Not really. If India is such a tough market to crack, then how come Tigor and Nexon are successes?
I have repeatedly mentioned that the XUV300 is overpriced considering its a Mahindra.

I have also specifically mentioned MS and Hyundai in my posts. Even then it's baffling that the Nexon is brought repeatedly into the discussion even though the XUV300 is clearly ahead of the Nexon in terms of equipment, safety features and premium-ness.

Should the XUV300 been priced same as Nexon? As someone mentioned earlier, may be Mahindra can delete some features and reduce the price. Clearly MS has mastered the art of selling stripped down versions of their international cars in India and keeping the prices in check. Else people will question - "Itni chhoti gaadi itni mehengi kyun?" just like they're asking to XUV300

Anyways, since this discussion is going off topic and not adding anything to this thread, I won't comment further on this subject.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 18:37   #868
BHPian

I test drove the diesel XUV 300 at TV Sundaram Iyengar & Sons in Nelson Manickam road.

The debutant with its younger sibling and the top performer.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-main-pic.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-front-pic.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-side.jpg

Engine bay

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-engine-bay-1.jpg
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-xuv-engine-bay.jpg

The engine has fantastic drivability, starts off sprightly and would catch the causal driver off guard. Throttle response is very sensitive and would need getting used to. Couldn't get to drive more at is was a 2 km TD but slow speed city driving (bumper to bumper) is satisfactory. The bottom end is pretty good and would make for a nice city ride with the very negligible turbo lag well masked.

There is plastic guard underneath to protect the engine and related parts

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-engine-guard.jpg

I was surprised at how light the steering was. The steering has 3 modes, normal, comfort and sports mode. In comfort mode it is Hyundai like one finger light and apparently weighs up on sports mode (I couldn't check this). The gearbox is surprisingly very smooth and slick, the clutch is light by Mahindra standards and that is good.

NVH is top class

I was pleasantly surprised by the NVH characteristics. Its simply mind blowing for a car from Mahindra. Dare I say its on par with Hyundai, yes you heard me right, NVH is top class (best in segment). So with this surpise I checked out the car further to find the reason behind such good noise filteration. Here they are, I'm surprised the reviews thus far haven't commented on this.

There is this thick styrofoam like material stuffed inside the fender and it runs along the entire fender as you can see in the below image. The first part is taken from the front side with boot open. This way the fender won't flex and might hold up without denting.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-fender.jpg

The doors have an additional rubber beading that runs through the frame and looks like this on the inside.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-door-beading.jpg

There is a rubber strip that runs on top of the head light where it meets the hood. This ensures that the hood kind of sticks on top.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-headlight.jpg

I haven't seen anything like this in other cars. There is thick cloth padding on the wheel well that is visible from under the hood.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-wheel-wheel-cushion.jpg

Insulation on the hood

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-hood-padding.jpg

Firewall insulation. Looked and felt like a premium material.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-insulation-firewall.jpg

All of the above contribute to reduction in noise levels inside the cabin. Kudos to Mahindra for the efforts in making the cabin as noise free as possible

Dash board from side

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-interior.jpg

The buttons to deactivate the front parking sensors and switching off traction control (not advisable). I wonder what those dummy buttons activate/deactivate in the Tivoli

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-dash-buttons.jpg

The car offers good leg room though I felt thigh support could have been a wee bit better (for me that is, any one below 5'10" would find it adequate). At my driving position (I'm 5'11") I had more than enough leg room at the rear.

Minimum and maximum leg room

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-leg-room-minmax.jpg

The below pic shows the leg room with the front seat inits rear most position with the recline set at a comfortable position.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-leg-room-backmost-position.jpg

Leg room with front seats at optimal position.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-normal-leg-room.jpg

The much talked about boot and its space (rather the lack of it). The SA says 257 ltrs though there is still no authentic figure shared. Funnily enough the SA stared to play the video where the trolleys are loaded to show that boot space wouldn't be a constraint. The boot floor can be raise as you can see the grooves to accommodate the floor. Its bad of Mahindra not to share the figure in the brochure either. Its a fact and don't know why they refrain from sharing it. There are a lot for the SA to talk about when countered by customers.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-boot.jpg
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-boot1.jpg

This cover opens up into the bulbs section of the tail lamp portion on the hatch.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-taillight-access.jpg

The stepney with the Styrofoam designed to accommodate the tools. Good luck getting that spare wheel out. One would have it set it an angle to pull it out and it would be one tough work.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-stepney.jpg

The main deal breaker for me would be the whitish interiors as I'm not the one to pamper cars too much and the showroom vehicle already has soiled interiors.

On the pricing I feel its priced alright although at 50K lesser it'd have made more sense. With this pricing the diesel AMT will breach the 15 lacs mark in cities like Bangalore & Mumbai.

Conclusion:

I'd want to appreciate Mahindra for the equipment list with respect to safety and comfort - very much required when entering into the most important and fiercely competitive segment at the moment in India. Mahindra has ensured that the XUV 300 has a fair chance of fighting in the segment. The 1.5 diesel engine would be one of the last high torque engines in the mass market segment before B6 takes its toll on diesel power plants.

Mahindra has upped the game in terms of features and has also given enough room for TATA & Maruti Suzuki to accommodate the features and still price it competitively. TATA in particular should come up with an option variant over the XZ+ with sunroof, side & curtain airbags, rear discs, ESP, TC & Hll start assist.

The XUV 300 locks horn with Ecosport as the Nexon is priced well below and the Brezza is a Maruti Suzuki. I'm guessing Ford has gone back to the drawing board for a few tweaks.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 24th February 2019 at 18:52.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 11:38   #869
BHPian

Hi!

I took a TD of both petrol as well as the diesel version. The petrol one was longer as I really wanted to check out its performance with a 'Turbo' petrol. Overall its an impressive little suv. With those flared arches and slightly aggressive styling, its stance is better than ecosport and nexon. The boot is ridiculously small though. NVH levels are quite good and with AC and music on (low volume), one might not really feel any engine or road noise at all. In fact the noise of diesel engine as well was quite negligible. So much so, that I had to confirm with the sales staff whether it was petrol or diesel.

As I am currently looking to change my ageing Honda City Vtec, my purpose was to tick it off my list of "cars that can be considered". And with the exhaustive list of features they have included, Home minister has already given her approval on this.

But... But there are few downsides to this suv. First and foremost, the ride quality is just adequate. So is the space, both at the rear as well in the boot. White interiors are a strict no for this country. Anyone who buys this will have to spare some change every few weeks just to get the car dry cleaned. Or ask everyone to wear plastic disposable booties on their regular footwear, gloves, strict instructions on the door panels for no eating or drinking inside the car, and keep the doors and windows closed at all times. And lastly, yes, it does feel slightly overpriced for a compact Mahindra.

That said, it might just stir the competition to up the game if they don't want to lose out based on the additional features that Mahindra is providing. Also, the engines (both Petrol and Diesel) aren't bad at all. I can even live with the smaller boot as highway travels are not so frequent thesedays. Had Mahindra priced this 70-80k less for W8 and W8 Opt, and given black interiors like the current crop of Brezzas & Balenos, I would have finalized this one on the spot!

On an , I am currently in talks of acquiring a 3 year old SCross 1.6 Alpha. Would that be a better choice than this baby XUV? Comparable features, few lakhs less and that utterly delectable 1.6 engine?
Gagzie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 11:47   #870

@Gagzie Did you get a chance to check the high speed ride quality in XUV 300, I have checked it yesterday, and it looks like a bit bouncy around 90 kmph, Just wanted to get some thought about it..
Satyakart is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed