Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 10:17   #961
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
First month numbers only signify that Mahindra is very proactive as a company, was ready with the necessary units to be sent to all dealerships as soon as launch happened.

Infact - we even saw deliveries happening on the same day as launch!

Actual sales situation will be revealed only a couple of months down the line.
True. Reported car industry sales numbers are dispatches from factory to dealers, not retail sales to car buyers. So,new launches with prebooking can have very high numbers in first couple of months if the company is proactive in keeping stock ready and shipping cars for these prebookings at launch.

The problem is that it may not be enough for Mahindra. The CEO, Mr Goenka, has clearly said that Mahindra wants sales of 9000 per month from Marazzo, Alturas, xuv300 with the bulk coming from xuv300. Marazzo + Alturas do about 3000-3300 units a month. That leaves 5700-6000 for xuv300 to sell. By this criteria, even first month sales are 1300-1500 below steady state expectation at Mahindra.

In my view, 4500 is still a very good number in such a competitive segment if it can be sustained.
Old 7th March 2019, 10:32   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I see this big discussion on overpricing, is it really!? Would you say the same if the vehicle wore a Honda or a Toyota badge? I understand brand value, but the Japanese duo were premium once, not anymore, especially those under the C segment are so stripped down of even the basics (Etios comes with a single wiper). Perhaps we should stop looking at Mahindra as a tractor company, and see the worth of what the XUV 300 offers, instead of what it doesn't.
I guess overpricing discussion is more on price vs practicality front, than being on price only. Top spec is very costly for a sub-compact SUV, lower models, including W8 (which is supposed to be selling the most) is too stripped down in terms of features vs W8 (O), and pretty much comparable to other models from MS, Tata et al, while still being pricier. Add to that the white interiors and less than optimum boot space and practicality is limited too.

It's a good vehicle, no doubt, and should sell decently well. However, some revision in feature spread amongst variants is needed.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:37   #963
BHPian

Quote:
I see this big discussion on overpricing, is it really!?
Yes, according to a majority in team-bhp.

Quote:
Would you say the same if the vehicle wore a Honda or a Toyota badge?
Yes. Example: Honda Jazz. Toyota Yaris.

Quote:
Perhaps we should stop looking at Mahindra as a tractor company,
Maruti is not a tractor company and yet its S-Cross 1.6 was thought to be overpriced. And Maruti even cut down the price and refunded money to early buyers!

Quote:
see the worth of what the XUV 300 offers, instead of what it doesn't.
Exactly what a majority is saying. It offers a lot, but it is not worth the price they are asking.
ashlil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:37   #964
BHPian

Quote:
I see this big discussion on overpricing, is it really!? Would you say the same if the vehicle wore a Honda or a Toyota badge? I understand brand value, but the Japanese duo were premium once, not anymore, especially those under the C segment are so stripped down of even the basics (Etios comes with a single wiper). Perhaps we should stop looking at Mahindra as a tractor company, and see the worth of what the XUV 300 offers, instead of what it doesn't.
Oh, it has already happenned to Honda, and to a lesser extent Toyota.

Honda is often considered the textbook case of overpricing products in India. For example, Honda Jazz was overpriced at launch and never fully recovered from that perception. So did Brio. Brio automatic in Mumbai was 8Lacs on road! Honda would have been top3 car maker in India if they had got the Jazz and Brio pricing right. They also killed the BRV via overpricing.

Toyota Yaris is also considered a competent product, but unexciting at a high price. So it could not set the sales charts on fire. Yaris was selling hardly 400-500 units in Sep-Oct '18. I remember Toyota was offering schemes worth as much as 1Lac per car on the Yaris. Don't know if it worked. Once you get labeled as overpriced in the Indian market, recovery is very hard.

Last edited by guptad42 : 7th March 2019 at 10:38. Reason: spelling
guptad42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 12:21   #965
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Spotted Testing In India Ahead Of Launch

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-screenshot_20190307124911_chrome.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 AMT will likely use Magneti Marelli sourced AMT unit before switching over to a torque converter system when BSVI norms kick in.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-screenshot_20190307124844_chrome.jpg

Source
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 13:13   #966
Team-BHP Support

We have the XUV300 diesel on test at the moment. After the disappointment of last week (petrol car with faulty shock absorbers), I was hoping for a better performance from this one. Here's a short report on the ride and handling.

In the city, the ride is compliant. Small bumps are absorbed well. However, there is a firm edge to it (17" wheels responsible too) and it can crash into large potholes. On the highway, this car feels a lot more planted than the faulty specimen we had. Even well into triple digit speeds, the car is composed and doesn't feel anywhere as skittish as the petrol. The car doesn’t wallow over bumps either. Coming to cornering, it is good enough for most drivers. I pushed it hard in sweeping curves and sharper ones as well. Some body roll is there, but it's controlled and the road holding is good. I didn't experience any scary moments. One point to note - this car has Apollo Alnac tyres, while the petrol had MRF Wanderers.

Compared to the Ford EcoSport, which is the benchmark of this segment, the ride of the XUV300 is better - more compliant. However, the EcoSport remains the more composed vehicle at high speeds. It is also more sure-footed in the corners with better body control & handling. Even so, I can safely say that the XUV300 is a good handler as well...just that the EcoSport is superior dynamically.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2019 at 13:50.
Aditya is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:59   #967
BHPian

A big relief for all those who booked to hear this. Hope Mahindra proactively solve the suspension issue in all affected cars. Still awaiting the full Team BHP review to comprehensively assess the car.

Last edited by CoolFire : 7th March 2019 at 15:09.
CoolFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 15:13   #968

Big relief for me. I have booked W8 diesel. I have talked to the sales person and postponed the delivery. I will wait for full team-bhp review. Here in Goa the dealer had no information about the TSB for suspension.

Last edited by ajmat : 7th March 2019 at 16:01.
abhijeetK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:56   #969
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Sriram Pasupathi for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I got my XUV300 W8 petrol Sunburst Orange delivered today. I was told that the first batch of vehicles with VIN K2A (January 2019) had the rear shock absorber issue and they had fixed it for 4 cars before delivery, and one car was recalled after delivery. Other vehicles haven't been affected. When I went for a test drive on February 15 in Hyderabad, I wasn't allowed a test drive since the vehicles present were being taken for PDI since they wanted to "change some rear dampers". Looking back, I just realized that they were probably fixing it for the same issue. From what I understand, all the delivered cars have been fixed and positively, none of the cars on road have got this issue now.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 18:36   #970
BHPian

There is a discussion on how expensive the XUV 300 is, so I thought to plot the prices against its competition and it doesn't seem to be over priced and it isn't VFM either just like the Ecosport.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-price.jpg
*Ecoboost variant

The W8 (O) is on par with S variant of Ecosport and it gets a few extras like knee airbag, rear discs, seatbelt reminder for front and rear seats, 3 point seatbelt & headrest for middle passenger. All these are safety related additions and hence more than worth the price difference with the S variant.

Mahindra should have ensured sub 10 lac pricing for the W8 petrol and that should have been easier since its only 25K to be knocked off.

The Nexon remains the most value for money CSUV. IMO Its the Brezza that doesn't impress much but nevertheless its a Maruti Suzuki.

Safety

On safety aspects all CSUVs have plenty to offer. Nexon & Brezza have secured 5 & 4 stars respectively in the crash test. While the Ecosport & XUV 300 haven't been tested yet, I believe both will do well in the crash test rating. Both pack in additional safety tech in terms of ESP, TC & hill hold. Mahindra has gone one step ahead on safety features.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-safety.jpg

Comfort

I've considered only few features that are tangible and left out features like bottle holders, ambient lighting and the likes to keep it simple. I have also left out features which are common in all cars like rear arm rest with cup holders.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-comfort.jpg

ICE

Ford's sync 3 is the best here and the unit is super responsive. Nexon takes the honours for music system.

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-ice.jpg

Engine

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-engine.jpg

XUV 300's is the most powerful diesel motor followed by the Nexon.
Ford's TDCI is the one which is best suited for city driving.
Ford offers 3 engine options - 1.5 Ltr Dragon petrol, 1.0 Ltr Ecoboost & the 1.5 Ltr TDCi.
TATA is the only one to offer AT (AMT) in both fuel options - 4 engine/transmission option.
Brezza is the least impressive/exciting in engine department.

My choice based on engine

Petrol MT - Ecosport Dragon/Ecoboost
Petrol AT - Ecosport
Diesel MT - XUV 300/Ecosport/Nexon
Diesel AT - Nexon AMT (this is a sweetly tuned AMT)

Mahindra haven't hit the sweet spot in terms of pricing but still the XUV 300 is worth the price for its segment first features. Thankfully Mahindra has left enough pricing room for competition to add more features and if it happens its good for the consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
The XUV 300 locks horn with Ecosport as the Nexon is priced well below and the Brezza is a Maruti Suzuki. I'm guessing Ford has gone back to the drawing board for a few tweaks.
As I had said earlier Ecosport bears the brunt. Mahindra has dispatched 4484 XUV 300s as against 3156 Ecosport in Feb'19. Its just the first month and most of XUV 300 stock would be for display/TD yet I fell Ford needs to act swiftly to maintain momentum since Ecosport is their bread and butter. This is a worrisome situation for Ford since TATA has managed its highest dispatch with the Nexon (5263 units) in the same month thanks to its VFM pricing and diesel AMT.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th March 2019 at 18:50.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 07:54   #971
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
In the city, the ride is compliant. Small bumps are absorbed well. However, there is a firm edge to it (17" wheels responsible too) and it can crash into large potholes. On the highway, this car feels a lot more planted than the faulty specimen we had. Even well into triple digit speeds, the car is composed and doesn't feel anywhere as skittish as the petrol. The car doesn’t wallow over bumps either. Coming to cornering, it is good enough for most drivers. I pushed it hard in sweeping curves and sharper ones as well. Some body roll is there, but it's controlled and the road holding is good. I didn't experience any scary moments. One point to note - this car has Apollo Alnac tyres, while the petrol had MRF Wanderers.
Took the diesel for a quick spin last night and I concur with Addy. The ride quality is mature. Compliant & owners won't complain. On bad roads, you will feel a bit of a firm side to it though. Grip levels & the handling are both satisfactory. This car had none of the nervousness that we saw in the petrol. And the diesel engine is fast!

That said, yes, the EcoSport maintains an edge over the XUV300. Just felt like the Ford has more poise overall (XUV300's ride is better though). I also found the EcoSport's steering to be the sharper one.

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2019 at 07:56.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 08:01   #972
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Mahindra XUV300 AMT Spotted Testing In India Ahead Of Launch
What is the point of camouflaging a vehicle for a transmission change? To the observer, they'll all look the same(strip it of its badges of course). The xuv 3oo is too new a vehicle to have any cosmetic changes in the AMT variant. Why draw attention to the mule? (Or is that the intention?)

Last edited by handsofsteel : 8th March 2019 at 08:06. Reason: Fixing quote
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 08:05   #973
BHPian

Anyone has details on the ARAI figures for both the petrol and diesel of the baby XUV ?
Old 8th March 2019, 09:03   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Anyone has details on the ARAI figures for both the petrol and diesel of the baby XUV ?
Source: https://twitter.com/MahindraXUV300/s...29029741142016
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-screenshot_20190308090228__01.jpg  

nirubhai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 10:34   #975
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I had heard about the XUV3OO being quick. Last Saturday, I was also part of the TeamBHP drive where GTO was testing the XUV3OO. I didn't drive it (as I don't lose an opportunity to drive my XUV5OO on the expressway ), but here's dashcam footage which shows how quick the XUV3OO really is.

From the parking lot of Sunny's dhaba, the XUV3OO pulled out barely a couple of seconds before me and look at the gap it creates in next few seconds. Really impressive!

Last edited by SDP : 8th March 2019 at 10:36.
SDP is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks