Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2017, 11:04   #316
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

I am sorry Devilscry but I disagree with you on the swift. I have owned the car for 5.5 years now (the latest generation) and it is absolutely flat at even its top speed. The only fly in the ointment is weak breaks, a slight dead centre to the steering and extremely poor sound insulation which robs you off the confidence to drive this car fast. The suspension and grip I have found to be perfect. Whats also worth a mention is that the engine is a bit of a let down for enthusiasts due to a weak mid range and average bottom end.

With the Baleno however, I agree with you. I drove it for about 200 kms and the experience was not very pleasing. its steering is a little vague and does not weigh up with speed properly, suspension is slightly soft as compared to the swift (which I feel is ok) and it gets affected by cross winds a lot! which makes me drive it slower. In fact I could go to the extent of saying "it is not even in the league of the swift" when it comes to driving pleasure. Its just better than its competition.

Also, a point well made on this thread is that true driver's cars are almost extinct in the sub 18 lakh rupees price range. I have been in the market to replace my swift since December 2015 and what I found is that there are cars which are fast, there are cars which handle well too but there isn't a single car out there which would put a smile on your face through each second of its driving experience. The last driver's car in my opinion was the ford fiesta 1.6 S.
The AG 6167 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:11   #317
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Curious, Have you seen the tyres being airborne?
Since I was in the car, did not see tyres getting airborne. The skidding sound and Brio's rear getting displaced a bit made me assume that tyres might have got airborne. To be fair, it was really bad patch.

I agree that if the road is smooth, Brio drives pretty well. It is more fun than my Figo because of lower weight, shorter wheelbase and lighter steering.
Old 9th February 2017, 11:18   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

The launch date of the Baleno RS is now confirmed - 3rd March 2017, as per GaadiWaadi sources.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki will be launching the RS model as the range-topping single-spec variant of Baleno in 2 colours (red & blue) on 3rd March for the domestic market.
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-balenonrs.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 17:13   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The launch date of the Baleno RS is now confirmed - 3rd March 2017
Thanks for sharing. So, Baleno RS gets different set of front/rear bumpers and a new Front Mesh grill

I wish they come up with a new set of alloys as a surprise!
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 20:54   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

I wish they come up with a new set of alloys as a surprise!
Your "Wish" is most certainly granted Prodigy07:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4064773

What really ticks me off is the rumoured de-tuning of the RS engine by Maruti in India.

Quote:
The RS will be powered by a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder Boosterjet turbo-petrol engine developing 102hp and 150Nm of torque – a detuned version of the motor currently on offer on the Baleno in international markets which develops 111hp.
Common "50% Market Share Holders", stop being this stingy !!

After decades of scandalising the 'RS' badge on Swift, here comes a real RS offering from Maruti, and they want to mess up on this as well??
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 21:15   #321
BHPian

I recently took a test drive of a Baleno petrol and was surprised at how much engine noise there was. I was expecting it to be whisper silent, especially at sedate speeds. Since the engine itself is pretty refined, it kind of points towards poor sound isolation on the Baleno.

I wonder how a buzzy 3-cylinder engine that needs to be revved to keep it in the turbo zone is going to fare in the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post

Also, a point well made on this thread is that true driver's cars are almost extinct in the sub 18 lakh rupees price range. I have been in the market to replace my swift since December 2015 and what I found is that there are cars which are fast, there are cars which handle well too but there isn't a single car out there which would put a smile on your face through each second of its driving experience. The last driver's car in my opinion was the ford fiesta 1.6 S.
Not trying to sound snobbish or anything, but most of the buyers in the market probably don't even know the meaning of the term 'drivers car', subjective as it is. A lot of people probably think of a car suitable for employing a driver with the owner sitting in the back seat. So it's not surprising that auto companies just don't care about that aspect. If a brilliant car like the last Fiesta got ignored and had to be withdrawn by Ford, it's hard to blame them either.

Last edited by chncar : 9th February 2017 at 21:21.
Old 9th February 2017, 22:41   #322
BHPian

Quote:
We're all entitled to our own opinions mate. I'm not at all suggesting that the Ford Fiesta 1.6 S is not a driver's car, because it certainly is! But, if you have not driven the Abarth Punto yet, then I would highly suggest that you do.

IMHO, it is the ONLY driver's car below 15 lakhs in the Indian market as of today

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Not trying to sound snobbish or anything, but most of the buyers in the market probably don't even know the meaning of the term 'drivers car', subjective as it is. A lot of people probably think of a car suitable for employing a driver with the owner sitting in the back seat. So it's not surprising that auto companies just don't care about that aspect. If a brilliant car like the last Fiesta got ignored and had to be withdrawn by Ford, it's hard to blame them either.
+1

There are very few enthusiasts who are ready to actually buy a driver's car. The Ford Fiesta & Abarth Punto's sales are proof of that.

But we're starting to go off topic here, so I suggest we stick to discussions only on the Baleno RS

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 22:56   #323
Senior - BHPian

Many were awaiting to enjoy the best of both worlds, a maruti and a bone stock 10 second car. I hope those are not mutually exclusive.
Old 10th February 2017, 01:36   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Baleno's dull steering and softer suspension don't stand a chance to be as FTD as the Abarth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
It is surely on harsher side, I am talking about 16' variants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The 15" also have the same harsh ride.
Quote:
Its steering is a little vague and does not weigh up with speed properly, suspension is slightly soft as compared to the swift.
Hmmm, that's 2 for soft & 2 for hard
So much for the enthusiast's opinion, in any case I'd rather trust the word of a professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
What really ticks me off is the rumoured de-tuning of the RS engine by Maruti in India.
After decades of scandalising the 'RS' badge on Swift, here comes a real RS offering from Maruti, and they want to mess up on this as well ?
I doubt this car is going to find a lot of buyers, in India anyway - Maruti & Performance are mutually exclusive in the enthusiast's ( cough, cough, ... ) eye.
But the good news is that the folks who do buy it ( it's going to be expensive ) can always re-map it & regain whatever power was tuned out by the Maruti boffins
~

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2017 at 11:11. Reason: Only two smileys per post please.
im_srini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 10:36   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

I doubt this car is going to find a lot of buyers, in India anyway - Maruti & Performance are mutually exclusive in the enthusiast's ( cough, cough, ... ) eye.

But the good news is that the folks who do buy it ( it's going to be expensive ) can always re-map it & regain whatever power was tuned out by the Maruti boffins
I remember seeing many "RS" versions of the Swift with those ridiculous decades on the road im_srini.
As I have always maintained, people in India would buy bullock carts if they had Maruti emblem on them!!

Honestly, this was a great opportunity for Suzuki to capture the 'Performance' spectrum of the Hatch Market, which is currently dominated by the GT twins & Abarth Punto.

Imagine a proper 1.2L Turbo Charged engine from Maruti in a Baleno with may be upwards of 120 BHP. They would have in all likelihood captured both the GT and Abarth customers.

Though the Baleno does offer Premiumness to a great extent, they still cannot match that VW badge, and now with a puny 1.0 Boosterjet as RS, GT TSI will still continue the 'Desirable Quotient'

P.S - I would rather remap a 1.2 TSI than a puny 1.0 Boosterjet any day.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2017 at 11:12. Reason: Editing quoted post.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 10:44   #326
BHPian

Quote:
So much for the enthusiast's opinion, in any case I'd rather trust the word of a professional

~
I'd like to point out here that the other two are talking about its ride quality while we two are talking about its handling and stability. They are two different characteristics of a car and can behave differently.
Still, I agree to you that we are no match for the official team-bhp reviews, its just our personal opinion.
I myself look forward to the Baleno RS hoping Maruti does something like the swift sport with it or may be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
But, if you have not driven the Abarth Punto yet, then I would highly suggest that you do.
Thank you for the tip Joxster, I've driven the Abarth Punto from Mumbai to Lavasa and I'd say was truly impressed by its engine but was sorely disappointed by its suspension tune. It lacked the magic of the fiat 500 abarth/fiat palio 1.6. somehow I feel fiat should have tuned it to behave better.

The Baleno RS in comparison, I don't think would be as fast in a straight-line but I expect it to be better in the corners (not due to its suspension tuning, due to its light kerb weight). Though I could end up being horribly wrong but a discussion on that would only make sense when the car is actually launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I agree with you chncar and yes I do not blame anyone for the loss of the "driver's car" concept but on the same thought I'd like to point out that the swift 1.3 petrol was a huge success, so its not like the manufacturers cant make a driver's car which also sells well.

I feel it is the loss of their focus on the driving aspect of the car and heavy concentration on making it look and feel flashy.

Kudos to Maruti here because the Baleno is atleast better than its competition in the dynamics department but I hold one grouse that they have been making the cars less Fun-To-Drive with each new model. Like the Swift 1.3 petrol was a marvel, the swift 1.2 was not as good but got the job done and the Baleno is less good than even the swift 1.2. All I hope is they bring a proper driver's car with the Baleno RS.

Quote:
Honestly, this was a great opportunity for Suzuki to capture the 'Performance' spectrum of the Hatch Market, which is currently dominated by the GT twins & Abarth Punto.
I agree with you Vik that the Baleno RS may not be as good as the GT TSI to drive due to the DSG and the steering characteristics which is why it is still on my buy list.

However, If I consider the numbers, I am made to believe that the Baleno RS could be close, equally good or may be even better than the GT TSI depending on how it is tuned.

Thing is, the puny 1.0 boosterjet puts out 102hp and 150nm torque as per reports and the 1.2 TSI puts out 103hp and 175nm torque. While, the Baleno is expected to weigh 950 kg and the GT TSI weighs 1109 kg. Thus, the power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratio of the two cars turn out to be -
Baleno
105hp per tonne
158nm torque per tonne

GT TSI
93hp per tonne
158nm torque per tonne

That's not all, the grip levels of the two cars is quite similar too, the GT TSI uses 185 section tyres and has a drag co-efficient of 0.33 so, since it is heavier, the grip in the real world would be almost equal to the Baleno RS which uses 195 section tyres and has a drag co-efficient of 0.30 but weighs lighter.

Its hard to beat the GT TSI as a brilliant Fun-To-Drive car but the Baleno RS holds the potential to do that. Now its all upto Maruti to tune it well.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th February 2017 at 12:51. Reason: Back to back posts. Please quote only what is needed rather than the whole post.
The AG 6167 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 11:29   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Your "Wish" is most certainly granted Prodigy07:
Vik, I don't think Maruti will offer those alloys. Those test mules I believe are the EURO spec variants.

Maruti might offer the existing set of alloys from the Baleno in BLACK finish though!

It will still look like el-cheapo hub caps
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 12:07   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Vik, I don't think Maruti will offer those alloys. Those test mules I believe are the EURO spec variants.

Maruti might offer the existing set of alloys from the Baleno in BLACK finish though!
These are available from Nexa as aftermarket option.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4127477
Old 10th February 2017, 15:16   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, that's 2 for soft & 2 for hard
So much for the enthusiast's opinion,
Did Aditya patel drive Baleno over normal roads? He wouldn't be bothered about ride quality in this particular test isn't it?
How many times are we going to use baleno's track ability in real world, rarely I would say.

Quote:
I'd like to point out here that the other two are talking about its ride quality while we two are talking about its handling and stability. They are two different characteristics of a car and can behave differently.
Still, I agree to you that we are no match for the official team-bhp reviews, its just our personal opinion.
I drive my car to office, and my friend brings his Vista to office as well. We exchange rides many a times.Inferior ride quality of Baleno is quickly evident ( Same road surface, same payload in car and similar speeds ).

You can carry slightly higher speeds over exact same speed breaker in vista, compared to Baleno due to softer damping in Vista. In Baleno if you attempt the same, it is bound to feel harsh.

Maruti has made some changes to 2017 Baleno, but we are not sure if there are any made to suspension.

For that matter, neither is swift as comfortable as Vista/Zest/Bolt.
We have both as office cabs, and I would prefer Vista anytime over Swift.

Last edited by silverado : 10th February 2017 at 15:23.
Old 10th February 2017, 15:34   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Did Aditya patel drive Baleno over normal roads? He wouldn't be bothered about ride quality it in this particular test isn't it?

How many times are we going to use baleno's track ability in real world, very rarely I would say.

I drive my car to office, and my friend brings his Vista to office as well. We exchange rides many a times.Inferior ride quality of Baleno is quickly evident ( Same road surface, same payload in car and similar speeds ).

You can carry slightly higher speeds over exact same speed breaker in vista, compared to Baleno due to softer damping in Vista. In Baleno if you attempt the same, it is bound to feel harsh.

Maruti has made some changes to 2017 Baleno, but we are not sure if there are any made to suspension.

For that matter, neither is swift as comfortable as Vista/Zest/Bolt.
I agree Silverado and I believe that the Baleno has a decent ride quality which we find to be harsh because of poor sound insulation, also it is down to its low ride height leading to less suspension travel and the car is relatively softly sprung (not exactly soft by regular car buyer standards) as a swift which affects its handling balance adversely. Still somehow the physics don't perfectly fall into place because it has the same ground clearance as the swift.

Talking about the swift, I own the car since 5.5 years now and I'd say its not uncomfortable, it has a noisy suspension and extremely poor sound insulation which accentuates the impact of the bumps. Yes it does get tossed around on very sharp potholes because of a stiff suspension set-up but apart from that it rides flat, is decent for commute and most importantly is confidence inspiring true to its character of "you are the fuel".

Coming to the Vista, it has the perfect suspension set-up for Indian roads!
so yes you would always find it superior to any of its competitors in terms of ride quality and may be even some cars from a segment above it.

Lastly, I hope Maruti tunes the Baleno RS with a stiff set-up. This will definitely make the ride quality worse than the Baleno & may be even the swift but in terms of a performance hatch which should handle like a go-kart, it would be perfect.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks