Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 11:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
I think the S-Cross needs a Petrol option real quick in the current auto market. This engine could be the key.
It will not be cost effective considering the boosterjet is imported. S Cross is rumored to get the 1.4L Engine from Ciaz.
Old 29th December 2015, 11:54   #17
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It will not be cost effective considering the boosterjet is imported. S Cross is rumored to get the 1.4L Engine from Ciaz.
That's a shame. This engine may have suited the S-Cross better than the 1.4. What if they decided to sell it on both the S-Cross and the Baleno? It could have helped with economies of scale somewhat, I think.
Pyrotek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 13:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki advertises 'Made In India' Baleno in Italy before its official launch - showcased at the 9th Edition of Golden Skate Award.

Showcases all its products - Baleno seem to be the showstopper.

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th December 2015 at 13:21.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 13:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello team,
This is my first post in the forum.
I had shared details about baleno turbo petrol. I had bought new baleno last month. So I could spot out the differences.
Door frame metal thickness and weight felt the same as my Baleno. When I asked them if the body shell is same for export model, the reply was positive.
Also booster jet is not actually an all new engine. Maruti is turbo charging their existing NA petrol engines to booster jet.
They were driving polo gt tsi and baleno booster jet back to back connecting laptops and other equipment. I asked if there is any testing undergoing for 1.6 ddis in baleno and answer was NO
Dr.Naren is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 13:48   #20
BHPian

Tempting numbers from Suzuki.
If this turns out to be true with reasonable pricing, then we get to see hot hatch selling in good numbers.
Lighter weight will give this car unprecedented agility, but may raise questions about its stability.
Let's wait n watch
Old 29th December 2015, 14:28   #21
BHPian

Finally the hot hatch scene in India seems to be warming up.

First there were the GT twins from VolksWagen, 105 Bhp.

Then came the Punto Abarth with 145 Bhp, and Ford Figo Diesel with 100 Bhp.

And now the market leader comes up with Baleno BoosterJet, with 110 BHP.

The Baleno has all the ingredients to take the game to the next level because such performance numbers have not been offered by any of the mainstream car makers in India till now (re: Maruti, Hyundai, Honda).

A good looking car, with good performance on offer, manual transmission and the peace of mind of after sales service of Maruti, what else would one want while looking for a new car with good performance on offer. The normal Baleno, for people looking for a spacious hatch and the BoosterJet for people looking for performance.

A win-win formulae in my opinion. Can't wait to lay my hands on this.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 14:40   #22
BHPian

I really don't care if it comes with 3/4 cylinders, the specs on paper seems adequate for me. My only expectation and hope is that it comes with an automatic gearbox!

I was seriously considering the Baleno / Jazz CVT as my next ride but will gladly buy this as after driving the Vento for so many years I wanted something peppier than what these 2 have on offer currently. I dont want to compromise on the AT bit as I think I am done with driving manuals.

No one better than Maruti / Hyundai to do this. It will ensure the technology is accepted sooner and also make the competition invest in / bring such technologies to mass market cars!

I wonder where would they price this though. If they offer it in the top trim it is sure to cross the 10 Lac barrier which may not bode well. Hope they offer this in more than one variant and transmission option!

Last edited by miharbe : 29th December 2015 at 14:53.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 15:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the engine is Made in India like the car itself. This should help in maintaining a low cost for the Baleno as against the Ecosport which imports the Ecoboost engine this increasing its price too.

Fingers crossed it comes with Auto gear box as well.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 15:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm sceptical about the turbo-lag. Saw it in the EcoSport 1.0L turbo and it wasn't enjoyable at low rpms.
I don't think this would be an issue considering the lower weight of Baleno.
Old 29th December 2015, 15:10   #25
BHPian

While the 3 cylinder engine may help in increasing the FE by bit but a full 4 cylinder turbocharged unit would make the Baleno an amazing hot hatch.
The 110hp unit and the lighter chassis is clearly going to give the Baleno a good lead over the 100bhp Figo and the 105bhp Polo GT when it comes to 0-100 sprints.

Hope they introduce a similar 100+bhp turbocharged engine for the much fun to drive Swift, perhaps a limited Swift RS edition!
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 15:38   #26
BHPian

This is the same car I had posted in the Baleno thread a few weeks back. But then it wasn't followed by a Polo TSI. This car was very dirty too. Here's the link-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/167715-next-gen-suzuki-baleno-yra-unveiled-edit-now-launched-rs-4-99-lakhs-116.html#post3863226. Since that thread is closed I am unable to quote it.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 15:44   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
This is the same car I had posted in the Baleno thread a few weeks back. But then it wasn't followed by a Polo TSI. This car was very dirty too. Here's the link-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/167715-next-gen-suzuki-baleno-yra-unveiled-edit-now-launched-rs-4-99-lakhs-116.html#post3863226. Since that thread is closed I am unable to quote it.
Baleno was tested along with a red polo gt tsi with HR 26 registration. When I asked them why are they testing it against polo gt, he said baleno is also turbo charged direct injection like gt tsi.
PS I spotted one ertiga petrol ZXI plus too in parking lot with HR 26 registration. It did not look different and badges were not masked.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 19:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hello team,..Maruti is turbo charging their existing NA petrol engines to booster jet.They were driving polo gt tsi and baleno booster jet back to back connecting laptops and other equipment..
So the 1.0L K10B engine from the Alto/WagonR/Celerio is turbocharged and used in the Baleno as the K10C DITC 1.0L Boosterjet engine. I had a speculation when comparing the specs of these two engines especially the identical bore and stroke. Being a Alto K10 owner I can vouch for the performance potential of this tiny K10 engine and I am sure many here will agree.

At just 865kgs the existing 83bhp 1.2L Baleno has power to weight ratio of 96bhp/ton and 105bhp VW Polo TSI has 94bhp/ton and the 145bhp Abarth Punto has 121bhp/ton. If the 110bhp Boosterjet Baleno weighs same as or even less than 1.2L car, it will have 127bhp/ton or more??
source: Suzuki UK, Alto K10 owners manual, Tbhp official reviews.

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-k10b.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-k10c.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-bhpton.jpg  

Last edited by Torino : 29th December 2015 at 19:30. Reason: Insert image
Torino is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 19:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would be interested to know if the boosterjet still retains traditional japanese traits of easy mod-ability. Is the block strong enough and reliable to take the pressure of performance modifications or is it like every other micro displacement forced induction motor which is already performing just a safe buffer away from its limit
I seriously doubt that! But seeing at Ford's 1.0L Fox Ecoboost pumping 140PS, there's always hope for uplift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Hope they introduce a similar 100+bhp turbocharged engine for the much fun to drive Swift, perhaps a limited Swift RS edition!
This article says that the same 1.0L boosterjet is going in for the next generation swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I don't think this would be an issue considering the lower weight of Baleno.
FYI, turbo lag doesn't vary with car's weight. It is rather dependent on the type of turbocharger (VGTs have relatively less turbo lag), rotational inertia, aspect ratio of turbine and many other factors.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 19:43   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
So the 1.0L K10B engine from the Alto/WagonR/Celerio is turbocharged and used in the Baleno as the K10C DITC 1.0L Boosterjet engine. I had a speculation when comparing the specs of these two engines especially the identical bore and stroke. Being a Alto K10 owner I can vouch for the performance potential of this tiny K10 engine and I am sure many here will agree.

At just 865kgs the existing 83bhp 1.2L Baleno has power to weight ratio of 96bhp/ton and 105bhp VW Polo TSI has 94bhp/ton and the 145bhp Abarth Punto has 121bhp/ton. If the 110bhp Boosterjet Baleno weighs same as or even less than 1.2L car, it will have 127bhp/ton or more??
We will see a lot of turbo petrol offering from maruti in coming years. Baleno petrol turbo has the highest power to weight ratio compared to Abarth punto and Polo GT TSI. But we should see if this performance specs on paper would be replicated on road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks