Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 23:20   #31
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
We will see a lot of turbo petrol offering from maruti in coming years. Baleno petrol turbo has the highest power to weight ratio compared to Abarth punto and Polo GT TSI. But we should see if this performance specs on paper would be replicated on road.
Even if it puts out similar figures on road, it's not merely enough. For Baleno with boosterjet to be a pragmatic hot-hatch, it must possess each & every trait of a hot-hatch be it the driving dynamics, braking power, safety, etc. Let's see how it pays off for MSIL.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 29th December 2015 at 23:23. Reason: Typo :)
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 23:26   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Even if it puts out similar figures on road, it's not merely enough. For Baleno with boosterjet to be a pragmatic hot-hatch, it must possess each & every trait of a hot-hatch be it the driving dynamics, braking power, safety, etc. Let's see how it pays off for MSIL.
I totally agree. I own petrol baleno hatch and I can say braking and handling is pretty decent. Baleno turbo petrol under test had all four disc brakes and if you observe the pics properly, GC seems to be low. I am not saying it would better abarth punto, but definitely one more option of hot hatch for enthusiasts and it would be obviously priced not high.
Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 11:10   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

I'm just wondering if Maruti actually wanted enthusiasts to notice the Baleno turbo and create hype around the car.

Think about it - they could have very well tested it without badges & in one of the existing body colours. No one would've given it a second look. Why mask the badges, use a black body colour & different wheels? It's as if Maruti is saying 'please look at this car, something is different about it'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is the block strong enough and reliable to take the pressure of performance modifications or is it like every other micro displacement forced induction motor which is already performing just a safe buffer away from its limit
You said it. I wouldn't remap a small engine that is already producing a lot of power. Stress levels would be high.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 13:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Think about it - they could have very well tested it without badges & in one of the existing body colours. No one would've given it a second look. Why mask the badges, use a black body colour & different wheels? It's as if Maruti is saying 'please look at this car, something is different about it'.
The Red number plates would still have been a give away as they cannot register the same car under normal regular white plates. So no way it can be anonymous intentionally or unintentionally.

It seems it should be worth a wait for the boosterjet Baleno rather than going for the old (while good) 1.2.

With prices speculated to rise by 20000 odd, Maruti has bandwidth to price it max to max at 75000 more than the 1.2L variant on variant. Anything beyond that would take the 6 Speed Auto way beyond 10 in Mumbai and it would lose its business case of VFM. The Baleno's light weight shell is also restricted to 140 kmph in India to avoid more flak for its build and light weight marketing. The engine can do more but the so called more efficient chassis cannot support. Basis for the same is: when a Swift can do 155+ with the same 1.2 and Baleno though being lighter cannot. I feel it is restricted like the Amaze.

If the boosterjet in Manual is priced @ < 75000 more than the 1.2; a lot of early Baleno customers would be cringing.

Last edited by dipen : 30th December 2015 at 13:30.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 13:54   #35
BANNED

http://motoroctane.com/news/23006-ma...-at-the-moment

Seems like a flurry of engine options on offer.

Petrol:
1.2L for India
1.4L for export
1L boosterjet for India and export

Diesel:
1.3L 75bhp for India
1.3L 90bhp for India and export

Last edited by romeomidhun : 30th December 2015 at 14:10.
Old 30th December 2015, 14:28   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm just wondering if Maruti actually wanted enthusiasts to notice the Baleno turbo and create hype around the car.

I second that. Also only front badge was masked. When I asked him, he replied that since car is already launched they are not masking the car and said it's a totally different baleno with turbo petrol direct injection engine like GT TSI and his friend is testing the same in Rajasthan. I own new baleno petrol and engine sound was higher in test car.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 14:31   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
http://motoroctane.com/news/23006-ma...-at-the-moment

Seems like a flurry of engine options on offer.

Petrol:
1.2L for India
1.4L for export
1L boosterjet for India and export

Diesel:
1.3L 75bhp for India
1.3L 90bhp for India and export

Irritating idiots. Cant they offer the 1.4 in India?
Same as Hyundai and their I20 which was given with the underpowered manual tranny 1.2L engine in India.
Hyundai at least offered the option of the 1.4L engine with 6 or 8 airbags and a sun roof etc on their I20 AT even in India though there was a 3-4 month waiting period for that car.

While I do believe that the Baleno may not be as underpowered as all that, according to someone's point on another thread here, because apparently is a 100kg lighter than the existing Swift which also runs on the same set of engines, I still feel that such a large car should have an 1.4 l engine at least as an option.
Old 30th December 2015, 14:42   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Cant they offer the 1.4 in India?
As long as the tax soap for 1.2L Petrol engine exists, it may not happen.

But the same Maruti is hesitating to slice off just a 10mm from Gypsy and plonk the 1.3L Multijet Diesel in it! I can't understand these product planners.
Old 30th December 2015, 14:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Irritating idiots. Cant they offer the 1.4 in India?
I still feel that such a large car should have an 1.4 l engine at least as an option.
Well like mentioned earlier, they would not be able to avail and pass on the tax benefits to the customer and power to weight ratios are more than adequate if you take the competition into consideration so I feel a bigger engine is only needed if the car is too heavy to lug its own weight around perhaps you ought to drive it to see how light footed it is
Old 30th December 2015, 15:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Irritating idiots. Cant they offer the 1.4 in India?... I still feel that such a large car should have an 1.4 l engine at least as an option.
The 1.0 Boosterjet (110 bhp / 170 Nm) is actually much more powerful and torquier than the NA 1.4 and is a much better engine choice, I feel.
Old 30th December 2015, 21:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
The 1.0 Boosterjet (110 bhp / 170 Nm) is actually much more powerful and torquier than the NA 1.4 and is a much better engine choice, I feel.
I am not sure why Maruti is not trying booster jet/1.6 mjd in Ciaz. They already have an established product in ciaz. Adding options there should actually increase their market in C2. Ciaz could easily be modified to climb up in sales chart further.
Similarly S-Cross could get shvs to gain tax benefits as ciaz.
Probably Maruti isn't able to scale up their R&D?
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 23:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
I am not sure why Maruti is not trying booster jet/1.6 mjd in Ciaz. They already have an established product in ciaz. Adding options there should actually increase their market in C2. Ciaz could easily be modified to climb up in sales chart further.
Similarly S-Cross could get shvs to gain tax benefits as ciaz.
Probably Maruti isn't able to scale up their R&D?
Ertiga and ciaz with same 1.3 ddis engine gets SVHS. Maruti might get it during face lift with more features and decrease the price. Also there is a rumor that maruti would get 1.6 ddis in Ciaz.
Old 30th December 2015, 23:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Seriously volkman10, those are very impressive FE numbers. Whats all the more enticing to an end user in India, is the 'Maruti' badge behind that

Following are the numbers vis-a-vis its only competition, if launched in India:

Polo GT TSI

Power - 105 bhp
Torque - 175 NM
Bhp/ton - 91
NM/Ton - 154

Baleno Boosterjet

Power - 111 bhp
Torque - 170 NM
Bhp/ton - 110
NM/Ton - 169

It is a given that no human can probably shift gears like a DSG gearbox. Considering this fact, Baleno Boosterjet may just end up few tenths of a second faster than the GT TSi.

But what is quite impressive is the top whack of 200 !!
Which car will be faster will depend totally on the weight of the body shell which suzuki will use in this boosterjet baleno. we already know that regular baleno sold in india is lighter than the euro spec baleno and it was also quoted by a company official, that indian spec baleno is tortionally weaker than euro spec. That aside if baleno boosterjet is offered in regular body shell which is lighter, then the power to weight ratio advantage will outshine the heavier GT TSI without a problem be it with a manual or autobox. I also recently watched the vbox result of abarth punto and GT TSI to 150 KPH, and the difference in 0 to 150 time of both cars was marginal even though punto has more power and torque.

Personally neither would i buy or recommend a car to someone which is "TORTIONALLY WEAK" to be exported to europe.

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-capture.jpg

Source:

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st December 2015 at 09:45. Reason: Source mentioned. Please mention the source of info at all times. Thanks!
AliAbdullah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 08:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAbdullah View Post
Which car will be faster will depend totally on the weight of the body shell which suzuki will use in this boosterjet baleno. we already know that regular baleno sold in india is lighter than the euro spec baleno and it was also quoted by a company official, that indian spec baleno is tortionally weaker than euro spec. That aside if baleno boosterjet is offered in regular body shell which is lighter, then the power to weight ratio advantage will outshine the heavier GT TSI without a problem be it with a manual or autobox. I also recently watched the vbox result of abarth punto and GT TSI to 150 KPH, and the difference in 0 to 150 time of both cars was marginal even though punto has more power and torque.

Personally neither would i buy or recommend a car to someone which is "TORTIONALLY WEAK" to be exported to europe.
I was told by maruti engineer who was testing the baleno turbo petrol that body shell is same as Indian model. Weight of baleno turbo petrol has been quoted differently in many European reviews between 905-965 kgs, while Baleno petrol in India weights 895 kgs. Engine block might be lighter in turbo baleno, thanks to 3 cylinder block. But it gets additional components like Turbo charger, Intercooler, bigger ECU etc. Also European baleno gets many more features which would obviously add to few extra kgs. Indian S cross 1.6 weighs 1275 kgs and UK S cross- 1305 kgs, which has additional features. Also When I checked my New baleno, I was happy to see similar crumple zone layout at front like My Sx4.
Old 4th January 2016, 21:21   #45

Turbos are a way to the future, that's correct. But why decrease the cubic capacity of the engine? The smaller block will be under much more stress compared to the bigger one.

This will decrease the life of the block and will limit, modification capabilities of that engine. History has it that bigger blocks will more cubic capacities are way under-stressed in stock conditions and have a better longevity and guarantee a base for performance mods. the examples are the massive V8 blocks of 60s eras in US, or more locally the engines of the Contessa or the Maruti Zen/Esteem or Baleno.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks