Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 14:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Actually it is not because it is officially more efficient than all the others in its class who employ turbocharging and a smaller capacity motor and that is on regular fuel. The competitors recommend premium fuel. That said I have no issues with turbocharging but it makes the engine more complex and introduces further more moving parts. Then are the usual Turbo related nuances like letting the turbo spool down before switching off the engine, lag and extra maintenance. A turbo would not take kindly to a clogged air filter lets say.
No doubt the engines are more complex and there are more moving parts. Premium fuel also helps - however as with any modern engine, normal fuel can be used too. As for turbo spooling down - after a highway drive where the turbo is in use for prolonged periods, yes this should be done for a few minutes to maintain the life of the turbo. However inside the city, its not that big a deal. Actually the owners manual makes no mention of any spooling down requirement for ecoboost engines. However reliability is no longer a concern. Turbos have a bad name simply because of badly done up tuned cars. These modern engines have zero similarity to the bolt-on stuff done by a roadside tuner.

Ford still sells the NA 2.5 liter as the base model - however their higher end models have all moved to ecoboost. Volvo itself has decided to move to a 2 liter turbo - petrol or diesel or hybrid across its entire engine range. Pretty much every manufacturer appears to be moving to direct injection turbo petrols. Mazda being a part of Ford will move as well - sooner than later. Anyway coming back to the issue at hand, I hope this 1 liter is as good as the ford ecoboosts in delivering power - it surely appears to be equal on paper.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 8th January 2016 at 14:10.
Old 10th January 2016, 12:05   #62
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshah1991 View Post
Turbos are a way to the future, that's correct. But why decrease the cubic capacity of the engine? The smaller block will be under much more stress compared to the bigger one.

This will decrease the life of the block and will limit, modification capabilities of that engine. History has it that bigger blocks will more cubic capacities are way under-stressed in stock conditions and have a better longevity and guarantee a base for performance mods. the examples are the massive V8 blocks of 60s eras in US, or more locally the engines of the Contessa or the Maruti Zen/Esteem or Baleno.
Hello,
There is a simple reason of downsizing a big engine, Fuel Economy, and strict emission norms. the bigblock and even the smallblock v8's of America are soon to be a thing of the past in this decade. Fuel efficiency and emissions cannot be thrown to the air just because of having a low stress engine block and minor change in longevity. The technology has moved forward and today every diesel engine is a downsized turbo diesel. and they work very well in the long run with todays technology. Personally i believe that if there is any way to save mother nature with technology, it should be strictly implemented. Not tho forget, that the exhaust gassed released by those bigblock v8's mixed with air, is what we breathe in and it affectes our health. less emissions is less harmful air for us and future generations
Old 13th January 2016, 16:27   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno 1.0L boosterjet spied again, unveiling at Auto Expo 2016.

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_20160113_104907090_top.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_20160113_104909686.jpg

http://fly-wheel.com/maruti-suzuki-b...variant-spied/
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 16:37   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had shared details about baleno turbo petrol.
Naren, since you were the person who spotted the turbo petrol variant and shared the details and snaps, just wondering if you noticed if the rear brakes were the discs?
Old 13th January 2016, 16:47   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Naren, since you were the person who spotted the turbo petrol variant and shared the details and snaps, just wondering if you noticed if the rear brakes were the discs?
Yes, baleno on test had all 4 discs. I couldn't click the pictures in front of them. I have verified those are discs.
Cheers
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 10:20   #66
BHPian

Is this confirmed news? Are the test runs really happening for India?

If this car does get launched next month for India, I am more than interested in moving to this from my SX4! Nothing better than a turbo petrol engine mated to a manual transmission. But I seriously hope they provide these same alloys and offer all 4 disc brakes!

Last edited by Aston Singh : 14th January 2016 at 10:22.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:22   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
If this car does get launched next month for India
It is speculated to be unveiled at the Auto Expo 2016. Launch could happen later, IMO , in the festive season ( Sept- Oct)
Old 14th January 2016, 10:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It is speculated to be unveiled at the Auto Expo 2016. Launch could happen later, IMO , in the festive season ( Sept- Oct)
Ahhh that's quite a wait. But that seems more likely considering that they are exporting this model and I'm sure that's a priority at the moment than launching this for the Indian market. Plus not everyone would be interested in the boosterjet engine considering it'll be the most expensive variant in it's entire line. Maruti looks at masses and anyone would, they are not here to please us "BHPians"

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 14th January 2016 at 10:32.
Old 14th January 2016, 11:14   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Is this confirmed news? Are the test runs really happening for India?

If this car does get launched next month for India, I am more than interested in moving to this from my SX4! Nothing better than a turbo petrol engine mated to a manual transmission. But I seriously hope they provide these same alloys and offer all 4 disc brakes!
Baleno turbo petrol is undergoing tests in various parts of India. Maruti engineer told exports will commence from this month and India would definitely get this engine by mid or end 2016 . Next month launch is very unlikely
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 15:26   #70
BHPian

Another scoop of the Baleno boosterjet

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-baleno.jpg

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/maruti-suzu...to-expo-663088
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 20:25   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno bossterjet variant to be called Baleno RS
Quote:
The company said concept Baleno RS is a sporty performance version of its latest premium hatchback Baleno powered by a 1 litre boosterjet engine.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-expo/50591357
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 09:57   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, baleno on test had all 4 discs. I couldn't click the pictures in front of them. I have verified those are discs.
Baleno RS variant spied again.
Here are the pics of Baleno RS with rear disc brakes!

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-marutisuzukibalenoboosterjet1.0litrespotted3.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-marutisuzukibalenoboosterjet1.0litrespotted.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-marutisuzukibalenoboosterjet1.0litrespotted6.jpg

http://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-baleno-...-again-052058/

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th January 2016 at 09:59.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 23:13   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Our original scoop had more information than what Maruti shared at the Auto Expo . Plus, the discussion was informative, hence continuing in the same thread. Thanks to Vid6639 & Anshuman for these pictures! Opening post has been updated with the same information.

The 1.0L turbo-petrol project is a go! Maruti says that the launch will happen in the festival season (i.e. Diwali):
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-0.jpg

The Boosterjet engine has 3 cylinders and a turbocharger. It develops 110 BHP and 170 Nm of torque. More powerful yes, but the 3-cylinder won't be as quiet, nice sounding or refined as the regular 1.2L 4-cylinder engine:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-1.jpg

Sportier body kit includes a tighter lower air-dam, foglamp housing & skirts. The radiator grille pattern has changed too. Would look so much better if that long V-shaped chrome strip was in black:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-baleno.jpg

Other than the skirts & blackened rims (same design as stock), not much has changed on the side:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-3.jpg

Zooming in:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-5.jpg

Because the Baleno is well-priced, we hope that the RS variant is also priced in a tempting manner. @ Maruti, charge a premium, but keep it real. Don't do an 'S-Cross 1.6':
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-4.jpg

Same spoiler as the stock car:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-6.jpg

New rear bumper & skirting too:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-7.jpg

Yes! Those are rear disc brakes:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-8.jpg

Other than the seat upholstery, the cabin doesn't seem to have any changes. A big draw for enthusiasts will be that 5-speed MT gear lever & 3 pedals (Polo GT TSI only available with an AT). We can expect some more equipment from the RS when it goes into production:
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-aaa_3057.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2016 at 11:52.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 00:22   #74
BHPian

Excellent scoop. A Maruti with performance is usually a runaway success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other than the seat upholstery, the cabin doesn't seem to have any changes. We can expect some more equipment from the RS when it goes into production
Which means, again the same steering wheel and windows' switchgear. Is it so difficult to come up with something even a little better than this?
Old 6th February 2016, 06:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Finally a Maruti which justifies THE 'RS' badging(well almost). And coincidentally it has no creepy stickers at all like all other previous 'RSs' from that stable

I for one like the minimal difference from the usual baleno as it will make this a sleeper car. Sedate in the city, wolf on the highways. WIth Maruti's service backup this will probably be the best enthusiast's car with a 'peace-of-mind' ownership

Now the only points to be seen :

1. Seeing the runaway success of the normal Baleno, hope maruti doesnt go S-Cross 1.6 way in the pricing department.

2. Equipment level: Better brakes as the light car with such power would need better stopping power.All disc, Side & curtain airbags would have been icing on the cake but doubtful.

3. Crash results. I for one still have my doubts on the build quality no matter how much Maruti shouts about light weight high tensile strength steel et al.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th February 2016 at 06:23.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks