Team-BHP - Japanese or European cars? Whats your pick in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Japanese or European cars? Whats your pick in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17181-japanese-european-cars-whats-your-pick-india-6.html)

Quote:

It was a simple question. Jap or Euro. Why does it need to end up in a fight!!

agree: There's no reason to fight over this.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
If European manufacturers are so great, why do I hear more horror stories from their dealers than Jap ones?

I never said Europeans were great or the Japanese are better but here in India ,the general perception and feeling is anything Japanese has to be good and anything from the USA/Europe stable is expensive and not reliable.So even if there is a fault in a Japanese product its dismissed as a one off while God forbid if you find a fault in a European product. eg. The Fiat Palio and the Suzuki Swift , inspite of returning similar FE the Palio was wiped out by rumours of pathetic FE while the Swift was accepted as being some technological marvel and a whole new car by MUL.

Quote:

Among all the Einsteins and Fermis sitting in Skoda and Fiat, has no one figured out that bad dealerships are hurting their sales figures?
This has been discussed earlier as well and requires another thread itself.There are no Einstiens/Fermis in Skoda/Fiat else they would have beaten the blind faith people here have in Japanese products.Besides this topic is about the cars not manufacturers.

Quote:

Bringing floods into the equation is rather different.
was used as an example only .

Quote:

All the cases I pointed out, with the possible exception of Jaggu's, share in common the fact that the dealer messed up the car worse than it was when it came in.
So this cant happen in a dealership of a Japanese manufacturer ? But why are we discussing dealers here - its about the cars.

Quote:

Ah yes, Japanese cars are not designed for Indian conditions. Just like that tinny Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, which those puny fellows have the temerity to sell in the land of cheeseburgers. And guess what, they're the LARGEST SELLING CARS there!!!
I agree with you as but then they are cheap there.

Overall people in this country own more Japanese cars than the American/European kinds - and no one will ever say I got cheated/got a raw deal/bad product if its a Japanese car maker as there will be 100+ people who will pounce on him for saying that. :) and if anyone badmouths European cars/products there will be 100+ people agreeing with him. There are exceptions like Team-BHP.

Personally I have had the experience of a friends agreeing whole heartedly with another person bad mouthing FORD when he himself was satisfied over a period of 3.5 years of ownership.

Over and Out

he he who is fighting.. just having a healthy conversation thats all.

i have lived with japs for about 10 years before switching side to europe, but i think ill stick with them for now, unless i get the oil burner (dont hit me for this term) from swift, which i am sure will give me all niggling rattle's of a jap factory and was this designed in europe ??? ;)

another wierd comparison that comes to mind is do you like the double decker decoction or instant bru/nescafe :)

Anyway, slowly this debate is going to be of academic interest in the future, simply because cars are becoming more and more global in nature. The europeans are making changes to suit different conditions (e.g. India) and so are the Japs. Components are being made all over the world and assembled wherever economical. Cost cutting will continue. The differences will narrow. I do believe Honda and Toyota cars are becoming somewhat heavier, while BMW/Audi are trying to make their cars lighter.

As several of our friends have posted, it is the car we need/like we will buy and not because it is jap or euro or korean or american.

Mercedes-Benz cars were in the past very reliable maybe the most ones but when engineers put so much electronics in those cars , reliability was going down so fast.Now they improve.

Quote:

Ok, let me put it this way. Karthik got ripped off at Skoda TVM, another guy got ripped off at Skoda BLR, no one really liked Nummer Eins and it's now shut down, Jaggu was made to run around by Ford, Metro Ford totalled someone else's car while "testing". With little or no respite from the law. That's European for you.

Ok, not to make this any worse, but you do realise that Ford isn't European, don't you?

Just one experience isn't going to change anything. I know one person who got a full refund on his MB E Class because there was some major error with it. I'm not completely aware of GTO's situation but it definitely turned out good, didn't it?

And, nobody is saying that Japanese cars are bad. Its just that if you had the money, 80% of the people would rather go for the European car than the Japanese.

i think sandeep has nailed it, thanks to globalization now things are getting better and users are getting best of both sides hence subtle refer to swift, if i remember correct the design was focused to bring in more of european character into the car, so at the end of the day both parties win, companies sell more car and we get options that suite our individual preferences

Mind says Japenese. Heart says European. Since it is a passion of cars, it has to be European cars that get my vote.

For build, ride and extreme conditions in India - Id generally prefer a Jap car, but considering the fact that most jap cars are overpriced, over hyped in India, Id prefer a Korean for now (still voted for a jap though)..

Passion, yes - practical no I think. Also one has to take care of so many passions - wife especially who will simply veto any cost towards car. First thing she asked when I was thinking about AT/MT Civic - what is FE difference and maintenance cost. You want AT? You b****y lazy bum, why can't you move your left foot? And what is wrong with your old car?

BTW anybody notice the poll? Almost negligible voting for Indian, Korean, American, other cars...

Quote:

Its just that if you had the money, 80% of the people would rather go for the European car than the Japanese.
Atleast the poll doesn't say 80%. Hehe.

Then again, you're comparing one country versus the whole of Europe. I take that as a compliment.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess?
Ok, not to make this any worse, but you do realise that Ford isn't European, don't you?

The company may not be, but the models sold here are European Fords. Drive a Mondeo and then a Crown Vic and then you'll know they're totally different in character.

Quote:

If European manufacturers are so great, why do I hear more horror stories from their dealers than Jap ones?

Well, if you browse thru the Review section of Dealerships & Service Centers on this forum, you can see loads of Horror stories of Jap Car dealers & service centres compared to handful of Euro ones.
BTW, this thread about the Cars and not the Service centres!

Ok, first off, there's no fight. What I post is my opinion. Your post is yours. Bas.

Second, to me, buying a car is a bleddy large investment. So when I buy it, I'd like to make sure it returns the best figures it can. Also, I'd like to make sure I don't have to spend more money to keep it in shape. Thus to me, service etc is a part of the car deal. I don't see how you can differentiate a car from its service/manufacturer.

Like Rtech has pointed out, owning his Jap car was cheap, while owning the Euros has cost him a pretty penny, either way. But he still loves his Skoda. No hassles man, your car, you like it, no one is holding a gun to your head. But I like Jap cars, so I'm going to say so.

I agree with a lot of people that the Octy "feels" more solid than a Corolla. But "feel" isn't going to cut it for me, not when I know A.S.S. and warranty is pathetic, and spares are sky-high.

The day the Euro guys (hell, even the Martians!) come up with a cheap, reliable, good-looking, fast, fuel efficient car backed up by a long and comprehensive warranty, and have excellent A.S.S., I will look long and hard at my Japanese fixation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
The company may not be, but the models sold here are European Fords. Drive a Mondeo and then a Crown Vic and then you'll know they're totally different in character.

One's a doddle, the other is a waddle