Team-BHP - Japanese or European cars? Whats your pick in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Japanese or European cars? Whats your pick in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/17181-japanese-european-cars-whats-your-pick-india-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
Ok, first off, there's no fight. What I post is my opinion. Your post is yours. Bas.

Have you noticed V1P3R that whenever you post your 'OPINION', it ultimately turns out to go into 2 or 3 pages of people heatedly discussing it.. which in other words is called a fight.
Glad to see so many ppl using their hearts and voting European.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
Ok, first off, there's no fight. What I post is my opinion. Your post is yours. Bas.

The difference is that you seem to keep posting until the other guy either gets fed up and agrees with you, or leaves the discussion. Stick to your opinion, don't enforce it on others. Simple. And end of this particular OT talks.

I've voted Japanese after considering my current status. Japanese cars are trouble-free with low running expenses and decent resale value. With Japanese cars you are less dependent on A.S.S.. If my budget (initial cost+running expenses+spare parts) allowed me to i'd go European without batting an eyelid.

Quote:

I read your writeup on your C220 which sounded great, so maybe that's a car I need to drive.
Absolutely! The C220 is the natural choice, though I wouldnt really call the Kompressor as under-powered. I can understand that power is a relative term, but in the Indian context....a 0 - 100 of 10 seconds, and a top whack of 230+ really cannot be termed as "under-powered".

Both the Cs accelerate fast, have a 200+ top speed, handle like stink and brake extremely well. They also have a 5 star rating in the European NCAP. In addition to a 6 speed transmission, 8 air-bags, traction control, ABS and BAS, they pretty much have all the bells and whistles (All leather, Sunroof, alloys, electronic seats, multi-cd system, electric retractable mirrors,multi-function steering wheel, rain sensing wipers etc.) The interior quality has much evolved, and my the current gen with beige interiors and veneers has fabulous interiors. Reliability has been great with my 220 (though the C180 nightmares still haunt, and I have my fingers crossed).

The only real issue that I see is with respect to size, and only 4 people is a comfortable fit (5 uncomfortable). But then, cars dont sell only on size else the Innova and Sumo would be the best sellers in India.

I have said this before, and I say it again. I would choose the C any which day over the E (after having driven either several times).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
I have said this before, and I say it again. I would choose the C any which day over the E (after having driven either several times).

would you say that compared to the E280 ?

Quote:

would you say that compared to the E280 ?
Yup. Because the E280 does not offer that much more for almost 20 lakhs more, in terms of interior space or amenities. Also, in my case, its an automatic and thats automatically ruled out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Yup. Because the E280 does not offer that much more for almost 20 lakhs more, in terms of interior space or amenities. Also, in my case, its an automatic and thats automatically ruled out.

Hmm, got the drift, spend 10L on a used RS and another 10 for the service costs.
or 14L for the Civic + a few paise for the running cots

Auto - thats a personal taste - you use your hands or your foot

Man, right now any car which is not from Ford is good for me. I just need a car.Lol.
But on a serious note, I would probably pick European.

While my specific needs versus options available at the time of purchase will dictate the choice between Japanese & European, I feel the Japs come out on top.

When it comes to overall ownership experience spread out over a few years, I'd say Japanese cars do better and they get my vote.

It is European car to pick for sure. Just think of India's National diesel, top luxury brands, Ferraris, Jaguars, Porches and many many more reasons to back up. Their build quality and engineering is no match to others. Having said that the others manufacturers have really caught up in the game and quality is no longer sterotypical to a particular country of origin.

Actually speaking both European and Japanese are good for us. One bring in cutting edge technologies and the later brings in fuel efficient and compact vehicles which are so relevant to our market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat

Hmm, got the drift, spend 10L on a used RS and another 10 for the service costs.

For me it is a first with the Euro buzz and I am as of this moment, terribly pleased indeed! If all goes well, one hopes the next upgrade will be another Yeti with DSG and 170BHP! Else it's got to be a 4WD/AWD Audi Q3 maybe?

In fact it will be both. If you are buying your first car/ new to driving / have tight budget to buy and maintain a car/ reliability / availability of widespread service/ spare parts, it should be a Japanese / Korean. They have all the above qualities and probably are more tolerant to imperfect driving habits, cheaper to repair even if you damage them. Once you are experienced driver, want better build, driving comfort, and don't mind bit expensive service and spare parts, should try European vehicles - 2nd or 3rd car. Then you will know what you have missed with Jap/Korean brands. This was my experience after graduating to European vehicle now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat

What we see in Goa is completely the opposite. Honda cars require incur high running costs even when the car is not running!! Mysterious it is.

Japanese all the way.

Reliability, quality of service and value for money does it for me.
I am fan of Toyota's understated and subtle design language.

I like to keep my vehicles for a long time ( 10 year ). Cant do that with the Euros without owning a bank.

On thing i hate about Euros is the there unwillingness to modify there vehicles for Indian conditions.
e.g. no spare wheel on the BMW

Japanese.

I believe, reliability is supreme, fun comes later. So if I were to put my hard owned money on a car, it would most likely be Japanese. As of now, I don't mind the absence of gizmos. Even if I had the money to go far a luxury car, I would prefer the Lexus over any other.

IMO, the only thing that European cars have going for themselves is the safety aspect. From threads here, it seems even the Fiats & VWs are stronger when compared to their Japanese/Korean cousins.