Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 11:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop: Fiat Linea Abarth is coming!

Thanks to BHPian pdma for sharing this picture on the forum!

Fiat recently launched the Punto Abarth and Avventura powered by Abarth in India. Both cars are powered by a 1.4-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged (T-Jet) petrol engine. Now, the company is planning to launch the Linea sedan with this engine as well.

Scoop: Fiat Linea Abarth is coming!-x.jpg

This picture, which was clicked at Fiat's Ranjangaon factory, suggests that the company is readying the car for launch, which is most likely to be in the first quarter of 2016.

While the T-Jet engine produces 145 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 212 Nm of torque @ 2,000-4,000 rpm in the Abarth Punto, it develops 140 BHP and 210 Nm of torque in the Avventura powered by Abarth. Both cars come with a 5-speed manual transmission. To know how this engine & transmission drive, click here.

It is not clear how much power this unit will make in the Linea, but if these figures are anything to go by, the Linea Abarth will be the most powerful sedan in its segment.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2016 at 13:41.
Aditya is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Fiat Linea Abarth is coming!

Damn! Bought the car six months too early.

The downside is that since the Abarth version will have a larger turbo, it will only serve to increase the lag as compared to the existing turbo set up in the Linea T-Jet.

It is very likely that it will get the same tune as the Avventura i.e. the 140 bhp guise. Torque will remain the same due to the gear box being the bottleneck. They cannot bump up the torque to more than what their gearbox is 'officially' rated at.

What remains to be seen is if it will get much else apart from the 'Powered by Abarth" badge and if it will increase the overall price. But, it will in all probability get the Scorpion Alloys which will look hot!.

A remap of the existing T-Jet should get it to similar power output (at a cost of approx 20k).

The 150 odd people who buy a Linea every month may have a minor dilemma. But for someone who wants the practicality of a boot and the Abarth treatment, in one package, will find it irresistible.

Last edited by thedragula : 6th January 2016 at 12:19.
thedragula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What ! ?

First the Avventura powered by Abarth & now the Linea !

I think these are wrong moves by Fiat and it is doing nothing but diluting the Abarth brand for India.

IMO they should have stuck with Abarth Punto only.

Linea is already a wonderful product and had the brilliant T-Jet in its fold.

I just hope they give atleast 15-20 % more power than the Abarth Punto to compensate the more weight of Linea.

Last edited by karan561 : 6th January 2016 at 12:25.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just the one pic? c'mon! Such a tease :P

Can't wait to see the full package. What a performance troika Fiat has with the abarth punto, aventura and linea now.
Old 6th January 2016, 13:23   #5
BHPian

An excerpt from Kevin Flynn's interview in the latest Top Gear issue:

Quote:
"We're playing with a high performance version of the Linea with a more sporting edge, so it won't take much for us to put that out in the market. Personally, I like my cars with some flair and zest, so expect to see more of that from us"
Don't you just love car company bosses who are enthusiasts?
amitg79 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:38   #6
BHPian

Strange but good move nonetheless. The T-Jet already has a great engine, the abarth tag will make it all the more powerfull.

But Fiat needs to get rid of that sluggish gearbox, its not that bad, but its a sever bottleneck for all that torque.

Also get the 1.6 MJD for the diesel. May not set the sales on fire but they could atleast give it a shot, enthusiasts may give it a shot, provided the price is not exorbitant (like the S-Cross).
Old 6th January 2016, 13:47   #7
BHPian

Are you Kidding Me

I only Booked T-jet Linea yesterday Saw this Thread Called the SM and told him to hold it and Can I upgrade for Abarth Linea in case its coming he replied
in Positive

Now He feigned complete ignorance about Linea Abarth and Told me that he will find out and revert back.

Going by Avventura logic I am looking to pay a difference of around 2 Lakh.

Well Interesting Development and Gosh Lucky me that it's happening now and not after taking Delivery. Having Driven T-jet Linea and Punto Abarth Back to back I would say Those Having T-jet Should not Fret Too much

Quote:
The 150 odd people who buy a Linea every month may have a minor dilemma. But for someone who wants the practicality of a boot and the Abarth treatment, in one package, will find it irresistible.
Yes, They will like me However Pricing is the Key here. You have the Thrill of T-jet Available at 10.30 If for Abarth Difference is somewhere
close to 2 than It will Certainly make a Difference Also Question Arise , Will Fiat Want To Continue Selling Linea T-jet than?

Last edited by fight_club : 6th January 2016 at 13:52.
fight_club is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 14:10   #8
BHPian

WHAT...!!! Seriously FIAT? Why are you so intent on diluting the ABARTH brand. That too for the Linea which already is available with the TJet engine. For me this is a wrong move. When they are already struggling to move out enough ABARTHs off their showrooms, adding another one is not what you want. This might be a news for enthusiats but then not at the time when you are not even in the fight for survival in our market.

C'mon FIAT, you have enough models in your international portfolio to get aggressive in our market. I guess FIAT is content with the to-be launched JEEPs and meddling with the Punto and the Linea for the year 2016.

Now most individuals who have set their eyes on this launch might first wait for the ABARTH Linea to be launched, then expect it to sell in very low numbers, then wait for the discounts to kick in and then if by that time VW or any other brand say Maruti or Hyundai doesn't launch a GLORY version would think of buying the ABARTHtised Linea. I said THINK as they would be then fighting a battle with the naggers about how incompetent the brand is, low resale and every NON-ENTHUSIASTIC things.

FIAT please do get the things currently wrong at your end, right. For case study, do consult Yamaha India. Get your 'R15' and don't worry about the prayers. There are individuals like me who would pray for your success. But these moves (combined with the return of the "Pure" Punto) is not what is called for.

NOTE: Yes I got my Linea TJet 2 months back and before am branded jealous of this launch, would like to clarify that I would have still gone ahead with the normal Linea TJet. Not coz I couldn't afford this but coz the fuel economy (for the way I drive) is already a shocker and hence maintaining an ABARTH Linea would have spelled doom to me. Point to remember is I got married a month back . One of those moments when you wish you were damn bloody rich with enough cash reserves to have way too much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight_club View Post
Well Interesting Development and Gosh Lucky me that it's happening now and not after taking Delivery. Having Driven T-jet Linea and Punto Abarth Back to back I would say Those Having T-jet Should not Fret Too much
I had gone through your post comparing how you were heart broken on FORD discontinuing the Fiesta and how FIAT with it's Linea Tjet made your heart jump in joy. ABARTH Linea might be the sort of car you ever wanted. Even though I am not for this launch, I wish you end up buying this (if the launch happens).

Congratulations in advance for your Linea, ABARTH or not doesn't matter.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2016 at 16:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
Old 6th January 2016, 14:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If for Abarth Difference is somewhere
close to 2 than It will Certainly make a Difference Also Question Arise , Will Fiat Want To Continue Selling Linea T-jet than?
In all probability, the Linea will take the Emotion Variant place and the regular Tjet will occupy the Active and Dynamic Variants. No point having just the engine with the same specs as the emotion variant. It will be one variant too many for a car that is hardly selling 150 units a month.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 14:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
In all probability, the Linea will take the Emotion Variant place and the regular Tjet will occupy the Active and Dynamic Variants. No point having just the engine with the same specs as the emotion variant. It will be one variant too many for a car that is hardly selling 150 units a month.
Logically the thought provided makes sense but then the other point to bear in mind is where does it leave individuals like me who are madly in love with the Linea TJet EMOTION variant but then do not actually want the ABARTHtised Linea at 2 lakh premium. Going by the logic put forward at your end, the gap between the Dynamic and the Emotion variants will be too big. If incase, the missing features like the Cruise Control and those wonderful wonderful 16' Alloys make way to the Dynamic variant then would somewhat make a case.
Old 6th January 2016, 14:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you Kidding Me

I only Booked T-jet Linea yesterday Saw this Thread Called the SM and told him to hold it and Can I upgrade for Abarth Linea in case its coming he replied
in Positive

Now He feigned complete ignorance about Linea Abarth and Told me that he will find out and revert back.

Going by Avventura logic I am looking to pay a difference of around 2 Lakh.

Yes, They will like me However Pricing is the Key here. You have the Thrill of T-jet Available at 10.30 If for Abarth Difference is somewhere
Did you book you car in Mumbai? As, the last time I checked there were no Fiat dealers in Mumbai, with the last one Torrid Motors also shutting shops.

Last edited by SnS_12 : 6th January 2016 at 15:22.
Old 6th January 2016, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Did you book you car in Mumbai? As, the last time I checked there were no fiat Dealers in Mumbai, with the last one Torrid Motors also shutting shops
I booked at Pune Fiat Caffe. It's a Shame that Fiat doesn't has a Single Dealership active in a Metro Like Mumbai. Heard from them that They are Coming up with some and even Torrid is coming back however your Guess is as good as mine

isn't it a pity that I have to go all the way to Pune for this car. Coming to think of it I wouldn't do it for any "other" car
Old 6th January 2016, 15:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Did you book you car in Mumbai? As, the last time I checked there were no fiat Dealers in Mumbai, with the last one Torrid Motors also shutting shops.
He has booked it at FIAT Caffe, Pune.
Refer: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3884605
Old 6th January 2016, 15:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

I hope this variant takes an in-between path when it comes to styling - less chrome compared to the regular Linea, and not too bright as the Punto Abarth. And yes, all-black interiors please!
Old 6th January 2016, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I had gone through your post comparing how you were heart broken on FORD discontinuing the Fiesta and how FIAT with it's Linea Tjet made your heart jump in joy. ABARTH Linea might be the sort of car you ever wanted. Even though I am not for this launch, I wish you end up buying this (if the launch happens).

Congratulations in advance for your Linea, ABARTH or not doesn't matter.
Thanks Mate. It's matter of Great Comfort that You do Appreciate How insanely I am in Love this Beauty to chase it all the way to Pune (was ready to go to Nashik as well) I otherwise try to a little less crazy and impulsive.

Now coming to all Important Point about "where Does Fiat Place Linea Abarth and What happens to Current T-jet ? etc.

Since I did Back to Back TD of T-jet and Abarth Punto with "Insanity" check on Here Are my Humble Observation's

1. Price is a big Draw for Linea T-jet as It does help to get such fantastic Vehicle at 10.30-50 Lakh. Now That's some Serious price for this Feature Rich car which Under Cuts its Strongest "Rival" Vento TSI by over 1 lakh

2. Punto Abarth Was Sort of a New bench Mark and Does not provide any alternative to Some one Looking for a Hot Hatch with 145 Horses under the Hood. Hottest Hatch My Apologies. However I was Petty Satisfied with T-jet Linea and it's Turbo Kick.

I Did Go Hunting for Abarth but T-jet took care of much of my needs with a Fantastic VFM.

One More Thing I personally Liked the Instrument Cluster of T-jet more to my liking than that of Abarth. Cruise Control is an Excellent Feature Which I would on My Sedan if I am going to do So much of Mile Munching.

Linea Abarth In my Opinion if Priced below 1 Lakh Obove T-jet Emotion and all I get is "Abarth Alloy" some Nice Stickers and That Marvelous engine Then It will Certainly make lot of Sense but It will also Kill T-jet Invariably

Now If you Take it Way higher and Price it at 2 lakh Difference Than You have to Give me a lot other than What I mentioned Obove and Going by media reports There will not be Much Changes in Interiors etc.

I think I would Settle For Linea T-jet. This Comes as close to Sanity I you can get
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks