Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 13:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh

Maruti's best-selling compact sedan - the Dzire, is now available with a diesel + automated manual transmission (AMT) combination.

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh-dzire.png

Dubbed as the Auto Gear Shift (AGS) technology by Maruti, this unit will be available only in the top-end ZDi variant of the Dzire and is priced at Rs. 8.39 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). It is priced at a premium of Rs. 49,000 over the ZDi manual transmission variant. This is the fourth car in Maruti's range to get an AMT, after the Celerio, Alto K10 and Wagon R.

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh-amt.png

The ZDi variant is equipped with features such as dual front airbags, ABS + EBD, reverse parking sensors, an engine start / stop button, automatic climate control, electrically foldable ORVMs and 15" alloy wheels.

The Dzire AGS is powered by the same 1,248cc, 4-cylinder diesel engine (74 BHP / 190 Nm) as the manual variant and has an ARAI fuel efficiency rating of 26.59 km/l, which is the same figure as the manual transmission's. It is available in 7 colours - Pearl Arctic White, Silky Silver, Cave Black, Pacific Blue, Magma Grey, Alp Blue and Sangria Red.

The Tata Zest was the first diesel compact sedan to be offered with an AMT, but it hasn't really been able to set the sales charts on fire. While all other competitors (excluding Zest) in this segment are offered with a petrol AT, the Dzire is the only one to be available with both, petrol AT as well as diesel AMT.
S2!!! is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 14:22   #2
BHPian

A 1.4 Lakh premium over the. Zest. I think this car is a bit overpriced. They should have offered it even in the vdi trim. I feel the diesel AMT should also be available in the Baleno. It does almost everything the dzire does but in a more desirable package. But being a Maruti this variant will no doubt sell and might hurt the already low sales of the zest even more.
ToyotaFan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 14:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh

Very expensive and I would have liked for them to introduce this in the VDI trim as well. Not sure how many takers will this find, considering that Dzire is already among the top 3 selling cars in terms of numbers, a variant wise split will tell us that it is the VDI and VXI which sell most.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 14:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

A very good launch. Diesel economy with Maruti support for A.S.S and top of the line features with the convenience of automatic for 50K premium.

Will put a dent on C segment cars as well, I think.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 15:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly looking forward to drive this Diesel AMT from Maruti. I loved driving the Celerio AMT in the city traffic of Kochi. The good thing is that when you want to have fun, you can slot it to manual and have that as well in addition to driving the car in a relaxed manner through the busy city traffic using the automatic mode.

Last edited by amalji : 7th January 2016 at 15:36.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 15:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
A 1.4 Lakh premium over the. Zest. I think this car is a bit overpriced. They should have offered it even in the vdi trim. I feel the diesel AMT should also be available in the Baleno. It does almost everything the dzire does but in a more desirable package. But being a Maruti this variant will no doubt sell and might hurt the already low sales of the zest even more.
If you are comparing with Zest XTA, the difference is only 25k, yes it loses on the DRL and halo rings. However its made up with the peace of mind and ASS.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 12:01. Reason: Typo
Chillout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this will sell in huge numbers. Baleno has already dented Dzire sale. Then the options in Automatic dept. aren't as scarce as few years back. However, a good initiative by Maruti and knowing Indian publics love for the brand the sales figures can be surprising. Personally, I will take Baleno over Dzire and swift if I need something from Maruti only.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 16:46   #8
BHPian

Snapshot of AMT diesels under 10 Lacs

Have included TUV300 based on price bracket < 10 lacs,

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh-amt.jpg

Note: * Need confirmation

- Both DDiS and Quadrajet are same engines albeit in different state of tunes (sourced from Fiat)
- Zest offers a better power/torque combo compared to Dzire
- TUV, on the other hand offers the best low end torque, being made available @ 1500 RPM onwards
- Zest and TUV offer AMTs in 2 variants
- Dzire offers the best mileage, significantly more than the Zest

IMO Zest AMT is the best VFM offering since it offers more than the Dzire at a lesser price point. It also offers choice to the customer to choose between 2 variants. The market will prefer Dzire over the Zest though since its the most popular pseudo sedan

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th January 2016 at 16:48.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 17:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is a fantastic work by Maruti.

The Dzire is a compact sedan, bigger than swift and quite spacious and comfortable car. The top end has lots of bells and whistles required.

AMT at just an incremental cost of 25k over manual version is a good work by Maruti.

Dzire petrol AT didnt set charts on fire, but this will be appreciated by lots of buyers to finally have a Diesel AT sedan less than 10 L. Tata brand isnt that popular as Maruti is.

I place my bets on this, wont buy this as I am planning on XUV AT.
Old 7th January 2016, 19:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

That was quite a low key launch considering that it is Maruti's first diesel AMT and that too on the Dzire which is a top selling car in India. Expected a lot of flash and bling.

Good to see this and glad they introduced it on the top end variant unlike thir typical approach of having AT's in the mid variants.

Maybe they should think of introducing it in the lower variants also. Pretty sure the cab drivers in congested cities like Bangalore would appreciate the convenience of an AT at a small premium and without drop in mileage.

The test mules also had the SHVS badge? Is that part of this launch?
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 22:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Maybe they should think of introducing it in the lower variants also.
It might be that Maruti has either low margins on AMT variants or less supply of AMT boxes and therefore they are adding AMT to only their top end variants to keep the demand moderate.

If they introduce AMT in middle variants than it's price will collide with the top variant. For eg. if someone has budget for ZDI and for the same money he can have VDi with AMT, then he'll pick Vdi with AMT only considering the ease of driving and that ABS and Airbags too are available across all variants now.

Maruti did the same thing with Alto K10 and WagonR also, i.e. AMT only with top end VXI.

P.S.- Above facts are based on just my assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I feel the diesel AMT should also be available in the Baleno. It does almost everything the dzire does but in a more desirable package.
I think this is the very reason Maruti introduced AMT in Dzire first and not in Baleno, as Baleno has already made Swift twins not only dated and bare bones but expensive too.

Adding AMT in Dzire diesel varinats will make it more exclusive and will have its own absolute advantage over the Baleno.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 7th January 2016 at 22:21. Reason: Quoted another post
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 22:41   #12
BHPian

A novice question - an AMT Baleno wouldn't be "premium", would it?

Also, regular MS and NEXA is getting mightily confusing - Baleno has auto on lower variant but Dzire gets it on the highest variant!

But on the Dzire AMT... I have a Dzire and would have bought the AMT version if it were launched at my purchase time (assuming launch in VXI trim and 49k extra).

I also believe it's a good strategic move as due to shortage of AMT, they have introduced it on the most expensive model thereby enhancing the opportunity to upsell to potential customers. Maybe once the euphoria / demand dies down, they will introduce it gradually in other variants.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 11:18   #13
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting!
I thought AMT wouldn't make it to Swift and higher segment cars in the Maruti range, instead these would have conventional automatic transmissions like CVTs ?
Old 8th January 2016, 12:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Interesting!
I thought AMT wouldn't make it to Swift and higher segment cars in the Maruti range, instead these would have conventional automatic transmissions like CVTs ?
With conventional automatic, a typical Indian driver has reservations for the following reasons.
  • Since, there is a lot of energy loss due to non-direct connection, the mileage will suffer.
  • CVTs give that rubber band effect and takes away a lot of fun while driving. With AMT, it works like a conventional gear box and there's no power loss due to automatic shift. So, the fun factor is retained ( more relevant for the lower powered engines in the lower segment ).
  • Without a manual mode, the ego of a typical Indian driver gets hurt. I have seen this as the single most reason why people avoid an automatic. It's like - "I'm not that bad a driver to choose an automatic." You will see this mentality more in small towns and villages. With the AMT, you do have a manual option. Even though, without clutch, it takes care of this ego factor to some extend.
  • Since, the additional costing for the manufacturer is huge for a conventional automatic, it doesn't make any sense for them to add it in the lower trims of the vehicle. But, with the case of AMTs, since the additional costing is in the range of 25,000 to 30,000 INR, it's very easy for the manufacturer to incorporate this as an option on all trims. It makes financial sense to the buyer as well.
  • The perceived high cost of repair.

Having said all this, the AMT does have its limitations.
  • Fine speed control is difficult when you want to park into a tight spot.
  • Controlling the car on incline and crawling speed is a challenge. It tend to roll back, if you are not smart and fast with your legs and hands ( more difficult than a manual ).
  • Even though the spare part cost will be much less than a conventional automatic, durability is a question mark. Toyota started using this technology ( known as Multi mode transmission ) around 8 years back and they seem to be unsatisfied with the durability of this technology.
  • In the automatic mode, changing gears can be slow at times. But, you can use cheats to reduce the effect to some extent. ( like releasing the accelerator for shifting up and pushing it hard for shifting down )

Last edited by amalji : 8th January 2016 at 12:39.
Old 9th January 2016, 12:10   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Who is going to develop a new torque converter / CVT AT for the 1.3L diesel ? Surely not Maruti or any local manufacturer as diesel + AT volumes are too low. On the other hand, AMT is a simple fix. It can be bolted onto pretty much any engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
CVTs give that rubber band effect and takes away a lot of fun while driving.
AMTs are hardly quick either. AMT has the cost & fuel efficiency advantage. But in terms of the driving experience, give me a CVT any day. A CVT is SMOOTH, while the AMT is so jerky. You'll notice the AMT's jerkiness on every drive, even for a 1 km lap around the neighbourhood. The CVT's rubber-band effect will be noticed only when you floor the accelerator.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed