Team-BHP - December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/172070-december-2015-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Here are the Luxury car sales for December.

Mercedes Benz (1108) leads the way, followed by Audi (1021), BMW (668) and Volvo (155).

December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-lux.jpg

http://management-punditz.blogspot.in/

The Kwid numbers have been growing every month. The other day, I drove past the Renault showroom and there was still a sizable crowd checking out the car. If Renault manages to scale up production fast, I'm sure it can touch the 5-figure sales mark very soon.

Renault overtook TATA and FORD in overall figures, thanks to new k(w)id!
Ciaz and Ecosport - Any particular reason for such a low numbers? I am unable to guess any here.
Figo - Such a competent and VFM car with such a low numbers, what could be the reason again? Did they take too much time to launch?
Baleno - Surely this car will be a hit for Maruti.
S-Cross - In spite of discounts (for 1.6l), numbers still going down.
Fortuner - Significant drop in numbers, people waiting for the new model?

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are colour-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

i. Baleno eating into Swift and DZire than any other car.
ii. Creta sales coming down gradually from 7K to 4K levels. Focus is on exports?
iii. SCross sales coming down gradually from 4K to 2K levels. Time for Maruti to bring a possible winner in this segment the international Vitara.
iv. Verna sales coming down gradually to 3 digits! Too much bling in design will age very soon.
v. Ciaz sales are also coming down from 5K to 2K levels. Is Maruti in the process of re-branding it for Nexa?
vi. Gypsy in 4 digits! Any institutional order helped it?
vii. Ritz nearing its end. Heard earlier that Ritz will be discontinued after Baleno's launch. Time for that now, as per Maruti standards of sales numbers, and time to march-on as per some of its competitors' sales figures!
viii. Kwid moves from strength to strength. Renault's capacity is restricting it.
ix. Bolt in 3 digits and Zest in 1K level. Tata needs to price Zica at the 3L range and do a "Kwid" to save itself and its dealers in India.
x. Innova sales in 3K levels. People are waiting for the new model.
xi. Terrano completely lost the plot to newer models, while Duster is still fighting; Long waiting for Creta may be helping it.
xii. Ford is losing the sheen off its new launches Figo and Aspire. The old Figo used to sell around 4-5K levels when it was launched.
xiii. All Chennai manufacturers like Hyundai and Ford might have affected by the flood. Could be a reason for Ecosport's low numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 3885833)
xiii. All Chennai manufacturers like Hyundai and Ford might have affected by the flood. Could be a reason for Ecosport's low numbers.

In view of which (and given these are factory shipments, not sales) Renault's numbers are very impressive! They could have shipped nothing for the entire first week of December.

I won't read too much into the December sales figures considering most people defer the new car purchase to Jan considering the resale effect. So, the data for Jan will be interesting and give a clearer picture of who stands where. And I agree with the person who said Tata needs to do a Kwid with Zica and grab markets attention with the pricing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 3885754)
[center]

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavensri (Post 3885827)
Renault overtook TATA and FORD in overall figures, thanks to new k(w)id!
Ciaz and Ecosport - Any particular reason for such a low numbers? I am unable to guess any here.
Figo - Such a competent and VFM car with such a low numbers, what could be the reason again? Did they took too much time to launch?
Baleno - Surely this car will be a hit for Maruti.
S-Cross - In spite of discounts (for 1.6l), numbers still going down.
Fortuner - Significant drop in numbers, people waiting for the new model?

My perception:

Baleno has better numbers than i20 today. But it is just because of new launch. IMO, the i20 would again overtake Baleno in a few months and rule over the Baleno in the long run. The premium feel of i20 will ultimately draw the customers to them.

Even if Baleno sells good in numbers, it will not be at the expense of i20 but Baleno will probably eat the market share of Swift and D'Sire (apart from taxi market).

In case of Ciaz, I feel the same thing has happened. Ultimately, the City has prevailed after the initial sprint by Ciaz.

Ecosport was hit by Creta and TUV. Also, as pointed out by romeomidhun, it might have been affected by Chennai floods.

What is with Koleos numbers which show 45 in Dec 2015. Seems more more than the number of Koleos sold in the entire year i think.
Is it an aberration/stock clearance/end of road sale/sudden resurgence?

Thanks for the most awaited Sales Figure of last year.

Lets not forget Renault and Nissan are listed as an Alliance company in India.
So combining Renault, Nissan & Datsun figures they are 4th Largest in the Nation in terms of sales. clap:

Almost same as their Alliance Worldwide Ranking as 4th.

Grand i10 is selling consistently above 10k units since last few months. Sales were around 8k during the initial months after launch. It is good to see increased sales even after 2 years of launch with many more competitors in the segment.

Baleno crosses 10k mark and dethrones Elite i20 for second month in a row.

Ciaz dispatches decreased by big margin and City is still doing good numbers for Honda.