Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2006, 22:34   #1
BHPian

BMW might launch Mini Cooper in India

Mod Note : The Mini Cooper Official Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks

BMW might launch Mini Cooper in India German automobile giant BMW already has a presence in the Indian market as they are selling models including the Series and the 5 Series. The company is now considering launching niche products in the Indian market including the Mini Cooper here in India.

Source : http://news.techwhack.com/4426/mini-cooper-in-india/

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2012 at 14:26. Reason: Adding link to official review
Old 7th September 2007, 19:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

BMW’s small car to enter India by ’09

Ketan Thakkar
Posted online: Friday , September 07, 2007 at 0044 hrs IST

Mumbai, Sep 6 BMW India, a 100% subsidiary of the BMW Group, is planning to launch its cult premium small car MINI in India by 2009, to cash in on the growing demand for luxury brands in India. BMW had recently re-launched the Mini Cooper globally a couple of weeks ago and it is this model that may be brought in India. The company is aggressively building operations in India and has revised its plans to sell 1,200 cars from the earlier target of 1,000 units.
Peter Kronschnabl, president, BMW India Pvt Ltd told FE, “We are currently evaluating about bringing the brand MINI in India. If we bring it here, it will be launched in 2009. MINI is an expensive premium small car and may cost somewhere around Rs 15 lakh.”
Originally developed by the Rover Group, the Mini was manufactured by British Motor Corporation from 1959 to the year 2000. When BMW divested itself from Rover in 2000, it retained the Mini project with itself. Since then, BMW is manufacturing this car through its subsidiary MINI in England under the name of 'BMW MINI' or the ‘NEW MINI’. On April 3 this year, the one millionth MINI rolled out of the company's Oxford plant. Like other cars, BMW is expected to import the CKDs (completely knocked down units) of MINI into India as well.
It is currently evaluating Indian components for global sourcing and has already set up an international purchasing office here.
In India, it currently localises (seat and seat cover and electronics components) up to 10% of the total value of the car and is also looking to add more components in future.
“The luxury car market is growing at a fast pace. Last year, 3,000 cars were sold in the segment and by 2012 it is expected to be 10,000 units. By then, we want to be the leader in the segment,” added Kronschnabl.
BMW currently imports CKDs of its 3 Series and 5 Series cars in India and assembles it at its plant in Chennai, whereas the 7 series car and X5 (an SUV) are being imported as CBUs (completely built units) from Germany and the US respectively. It currently has eight dealers, which will be increased to 12, by January 2008.
The company is currently concentrating on assembling of vehicles in India and feels production can only begin if volumes are big.

BMW’s small car to enter India by ’09
Old 7th September 2007, 19:36   #3
BHPian

Hell, I doubt its gonna be near 15 lakhs but ill buy one in a jiffy if it was . Just love that car..
Old 7th September 2007, 19:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MINI is an expensive premium small car and may cost somewhere around Rs 15 lakh
A Mini at 15 Lakh wont sell, if it was around 10 then still people would give it a though, 15 Lakh for hatch is asking too much in India. The SRV bombed at 8Lakhs with almost the best space in all hatches. And people think the Swift is a Mini look alike. People with 15Lacs budget are going to see themselves buying a Civic or a Accord, only a handful will buy a Mini.

Will i buy it, heck yes, my bank A/C number is *************
Old 7th September 2007, 20:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

like busa said the car i think should be around 10 or maximum 12 lacs. at 15 it sounds a little steep. but since it is my fiance's favrite car i definately would but it for her. sometimes emotions get the better of you .
Old 7th September 2007, 20:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO, at 15 Lakhs INR, the Mini would cater to a very small niche market of buyers who already own different cars across segments. Most importantly, it would not be the first car of an Indian household.
Old 7th September 2007, 20:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

15lacs for the base na 120bhp is not really worth it but 15lacs for the supercharged or the new upcoming twin turbo and i'd be jumping for it.
Old 7th September 2007, 20:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good news that Mini would be on indian roads. Another story of outrageous pricing.

India Rising Power and all however govt seriously needs to cut on taxes and open up the auto industry more.

I guess they could do that if we had more space on the roads.

Bhhhhaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th September 2007, 00:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

isnt this an old news? If I remember right it was to cost somewher between 15-25lac
Old 8th September 2007, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

15L...well, there is a niche clientele for the coopers out there, who stay in crowded suburbs & have the cash, but not enough parking space for their swanking Beemers & Bentleys. But I don't suppose BMW would want to be stuck with such limited customer base.

The Cooper S, for 12L would be reasonable, I guess. For the normal enthusiast. A blown version with "nominal" 170 horses has every right to ask for that kind of money.

At 8L....there would be a BHP-ian rally..for the first official piece.

Alas, the S retails for about 16K pounds in the U.K....go figure....
Old 8th September 2007, 14:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

15lacs for a Cooper is perfect positioning. I am sure BMW doesnt want to have a cheap VFM 10K sales per month car.

But to justify the price, It should have atleast a powerful engine and lots of kit.
Old 8th September 2007, 16:07   #12
BHPian

Indien Dumbkopfen swindlen by Smarten Deutschen und plenty moneyen gonen to mein Deutschland!!

As someone mentioned in another thread, it should be no one elses business how should one burn their money. I wish I HAD that much money to burn on that THING, so that I could burn it on something else!!
Old 9th November 2007, 23:10   #13
BHPian

info on mini cooper

hey guys

am currently in london. have seen quite a lot of mini coopers out here. people use these out here due to traffic and parking problems.

but one thing i noticed was the mini coopers come in multiple conmbinations. i was of the opinion that they come in 3-4 models with versions in comfort level but they have so many models.

some have these rally type paint job, some with huge alloys and those roaring exhausts while others are quite subtle.

does anyone know that do they provide a powerful engines in these versions or are all of this an after market job
Old 9th November 2007, 23:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

MINI (BMW) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th November 2007, 23:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I need an advice here too.
I have spotted a Mini Cooper in Hyderabad which will be coming up for sale shortly.Its a latest 90s model,but has a Automatic gear shift.
On top its a Rover Mini(not Mini Cooper)..whats the difference here?
Also were Minis fitted with Automatic gearshift ever in 90s.Was always under the impression that Minis were of Manual gear shift
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks